Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
The infinitive's a bit general, I guess - the other rather more direct. Is there another difference I've missed? One can't be too careful with these expressions. One of my Francophone friends commented on a video of my granddaughter being really horrible to her little brother - "Petite emmerdeuse!!". One learns things, that way. Or things overheard in shops.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pam w, Enculer is rather rude
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And enculeur less rude?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perhaps not Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Difficult isn't it. Talking to a friend earlier and she said something which she said wasn't proper french, what chance had I "Tu te re z’aime".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
KenX wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
@Weathercam, they’re relying on you to act “responsibly” Very Happy

Fat chance Laughing

Never could spell "resonsibely" let alone act it Laughing

Think confinement is going to be a tad more demanding this coming week as the weather's taking a change for the worse Sad

Has been pretty good with eating out on the terrace every day and suntan nigh on equivalent to summer already!

This was my attempt at making a Xmas tree pattern on Strava last Friday

Yesterday, knowing could be last decent hot sunny day went out on the bike to cycle up and down the road, and did a couple of U-turns in the road trying to make my mind up which way to start just as a blue gendarme van came towards me, I waved and signalled where my house was as they carried on their merry way.

I was half expecting them to come back at some point as I judiciously stuck to the hour and one km from home clocking up 32km seven times up and down past home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3316475003
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do hope authorities in France, and here, think hard about how best to ensure willing compliance with the rules as lockdowns are gradually relaxed. If we are to be restricted for months, as seems likely, rules, like not being allowed to sit on a park bench in the sun, on your own, or not being able to cycle or walk on your own, will need to go if they're to retain public support.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm going to have a little walk up the mountain today. The gendarmes have confirmed that a couple of low paths are OK. I've figured out how far I can go and stick to 1km.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The French Prime minister Edouard Philippe is going to speak tonight with more details about the end of the lockdown. He's had a furious row with Pres. Macron as he had not been informed of the 11th May deadline before Macron's speech and is furious. He wants out of the govt but can't leave at the moment.

Anyway they still haven't decided how to implement Macron's plan. Schools are a very difficult subject as many kids are looked after by grand parents during term time. It seems primary schools will come out of confinement first with kids attending on alternate days or weeks (seems like the Brits have the same plan so I guess everyone is copying everyone else in this, it is more the blind leading the blind than le royaume des aveugles ou les borgnes sont rois.

There is talk of making "les veux" sign a form saying they won't use hospitals if they get sick if they don't want to be confined. After legalizing the euthanasia drug "rivotril" for elderly people with "respiratory distress" this will be another thing that won't make the govt. popular with the seniors.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also talk about opening schools in less effected areas.
Really difficult decisions for the government to make. Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No return to "semi" normality before the summer of 2021 in France.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:

Is that from government announcement ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ringingmaster, this is a good read following on from French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe and health minister Olivier Véran joint press conference on Sunday night.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200419/living-with-the-virus-the-plan-for-life-in-france-after-lockdown
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

There is talk of making "les veux" sign a form saying they won't use hospitals if they get sick if they don't want to be confined. After legalizing the euthanasia drug "rivotril" for elderly people with "respiratory distress" this will be another thing that won't make the govt. popular with the seniors.

Sounds like a very grown up way of doing things. Make your own mind up as to what risk you are prepared to bear. Can't see how it is compatible with good samaritan and medical ethics principles however, and easy to rabble rouse against as bullying and discrimination against elderly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ringingmaster wrote:
davidof wrote:

Is that from government announcement ?

Yes Edouard Philippe.
So clearly they don't envisage next winter being like last winter.

Meanwhile, social distancing Norway yesterday

and Sweden

latest report
@Weathercam, Interesting read - although sadly seems to confirm my view that my summer plans are off
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
davidof wrote:

Sounds like a very grown up way of doing things. Make your own mind up as to what risk you are prepared to bear. Can't see how it is compatible with good samaritan and medical ethics principles however, and easy to rabble rouse against as bullying and discrimination against elderly.

that seems to be off the cards now but plans won't be announced for another 2 weeks.
snow report
@Boris, @Boris, I am still living in hope that a driving over break is still going to be possible
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@ringingmaster, this is a good read following on from French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe and health minister Olivier Véran joint press conference on Sunday night.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200419/living-with-the-virus-the-plan-for-life-in-france-after-lockdown

Thanks - interesting read
snow report
Even The Parisien seagulls have had enough and are fighting back Laughing

http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-divers/les-goelands-attaquent-les-drones-de-la-prefecture-de-police-de-paris-25-06-2019-8102361.php?fbclid=IwAR0gh4yNEfI9ZZYiuIcLM6PDJdeAcWv48wXjEN330VlzhhbWaCmZSUK-D9I
ski holidays
Isere prefect has extended the ban on any mountain activity in the department until the 24th May at the earliest.
ski holidays
McDonalds anyone?

https://www.ledauphine.com/economie/2020/04/21/le-mc-do-rouvre-des-kilometres-de-bouchons-et-trois-heures-d-attente
ski holidays
@davidof, what's the rationale?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, what's the rationale?

No idea, social distancing maybe?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Isere prefect has extended the ban on any mountain activity in the department until the 24th May at the earliest.

Jeeesss hopefully our dude down here in the Hautes Alpes is not thinking along the same lines, hopefully, more pro-active about a resumption of tourist activities etc

https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2020/04/21/ils-demandent-une-reprise-de-l-activite-touristique
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
davidof wrote:

Jeeesss hopefully our dude down here in the Hautes Alpes is not thinking along the same lines, hopefully, more pro-active about a resumption of tourist activities etc

https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2020/04/21/ils-demandent-une-reprise-de-l-activite-touristique

Hopefully they'll close the frontier otherwise the Col du Lauteret is going to be rammed on the 11th.
latest report
Sounds like a serious case of French mayor syndrome, there's a lot of it about at the moment.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
davidof wrote:

Hopefully they'll close the frontier otherwise the Col du Lauteret is going to be rammed on the 11th.

Surely from yours you'd just pop up into Savoie. I'd only have to go as far as La Grave Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is from Fancebleus twitter page. Which depts can commence deconfinement 11 May. How accurate it is I don't know. Isère and Savoie ok but not Haute Savoie or Hautes Alpes. Sorry @Weathercam,

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/societe/carte-decouvrez-les-departements-qui-pourraient-sortir-du-confinement-des-le-11-mai-1587476463

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 22-04-20 13:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Talking about La Grave, was on the phone to my friends who run the Hotel Edelweiss there as we're doing another web project together.

And sounds like a very good community spirit going on in the village.

But talking to them looking forward it sounds a nightmare as a large % of their bookings for Summer have cancelled as they have many International groups not just from the USA but NZ and Australia coming for cycling.

That said many have been asking about availability for September (when many French hotels are closed) and they're already fully booked for September so maybe the French will have to adjust their Summer High Season mentality and actually stay open right through to Toussaint to make up for shortfalls in Summer, but I suspect that will be a feckin miracle Laughing
ski holidays
@Claude B, that makes no sense when you compare that map with the Official santepubliquefrance.fr map of infections etc

https://geodes.santepubliquefrance.fr/index.php#bbox=-169076,5945339,1279669,775134&c=indicator&f=0&i=covid_hospit.hosp&s=2020-04-21&t=a01&view=map2

And Bouches-du-Rhône which on your map is eligible for de-containment and yet is probably the worst affected Dept in the South 1,056 ?

Hautes Alpes is on 41 , Isere 223, Savoie 86
snow report
@Weathercam, https://twitter.com/francebleu/status/1252636651274330115?s=20
snow conditions
http://www.estcequonpeutsortir.fr
snow report
A french friend, who sent that to me in the first place, told me that other factors are being taken into consideration setting the dates. One she mentioned was concentration of 2nd home owners. Others too.
ski holidays
Came back from my bike ride to a good message from KenX Madeye-Smiley

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Run-walk-cycle-New-post-confinement-rules-in-France-listed-by-sports-ministry-after-May-11
ski holidays
But still restricted to an hour?
snow report
Quote:

maybe the French will have to adjust their Summer High Season mentality and actually stay open right through to Toussaint to make up for shortfalls in Summer, but I suspect that will be a feckin miracle

Will be interesting to see whether it pans out that way - makes sense. Here in the UK I'm hoping for an Indian summer and some late season sailing. Always the same three-person crew, and we rarely use marinas, so it's a very low risk activity for us.
latest report
I too hope I get on my boat in early autumn.

Incidentally, the inimitable Michael O'Leary of Ryanair seems to be thinking that 80 per cent of flights could possibly resume by October. Have to hope he's right. See:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52394433?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/crz4004j5zet/air-travel&link_location=live-reporting-story
latest report
I watched Edouard Philippe's deconfinement speech this pm. Thankfully not too long. It is a partial deconfinement and he left it open for Prefects or Mayors to tighten up on national rules as they see fit.

1. French football season is over (won't please the French footie association)
2. No sporting events with more than 5000 people before September
3. You will not be allowed to go more than 100km from home by car/train but won't need a form to go out
4. Groups no bigger than 10
5. beaches still closed but parks to open
6. only primary and middle schools to reopen
7. mask wearing to be mandatory in certain cases (public transport)
8. expect a new lockdown over the summer
9. most shops to open but not cafes, restaurants, cinemas etc to remain shut
10. you'll be able to do individual sports, 1km limit to be lifted but don't go far from home

Next rdv is the start of June for further measures (maybe some professional lycees will open).
snow conditions
Fin des attestations sauf pour les déplacements à plus de 100 km de chez soi (qui ne devront être faits que pour le travail ou motif familial impérieux".

Pas de sport de contact.

Is ski touring deemed a contact sport Laughing

And this is obviously sensible

Those who test positive must be isolated for 14 days either at home or in special accommodation
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy