Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
any news on serre chevalier?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Speaking to pisteurs earlier on tonight, no change all open tomorrow, but hey they're only pisteurs and we'll probably know online before they do about resort closing down rolling eyes

Loads of people still turning up for the weekend and presumably the event that's been canceled but have booked accommodation etc

And hot of the Press as it were....

https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2020/03/13/compagnie-des-alpes-les-onze-domaines-skiables-restent-ouverts
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, Thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any official news from Morzine? My daughter due out on 28th March! Guess we will only really know on the 27th
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Email went out to all season pass holders last night in Chamonix Valley that the mon blanc resorts intend to stay open unless directed by government.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
News in France, (I am currently a resort manager for a major British tour op) is that nothing changed as yet. However two other large Brit tour ops are packing up today. There was a meeting of all lift pass companies last night to decide next steps. With bars and restaurants having to close it is surely only a matter of time before resorts close. But no official word as yet. Apparently it will be decided per department so tarantaise resorts may be different to southern alps or haute savoie, but let’s be honest it’s likely to be country wide same decision. Will update if I get anything reliable unofficial that may save people travelling needlessly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@loveischgl, thank you for posting. Your updates will be really helpful. Please do let us know.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
French elections on Sunday. Guidance to keep 1m apart in the polling queues. Seems like that advice hasn’t reached Chamonix! La Grave also full including many Italians.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51862828

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For once, rather impressed, twice, by Folie Douce in Chamonix, security very carefully and gently managing pax numbers in each room, and the band was rather good, even if there was as usual what I can only describe as a cruise ship vibe.

Or maybe “Hi-de-Hi”
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think the situation will soon be out of the ski resort's hands in France, whilst the likes of Compagnie des Alpes who run numerous stations have said they will stay open for purely economic reasons, it will be the Prefectures that will make the call and even the local Maries who have astonishing power at local level.

We're open for the weekend, but then I think that will be it.

Actually going up the hill this morning taking those things called lifts Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@loveischgl,
Where do you get 'bars & restaurants to close' there is no such instruction in France at the moment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stewart woodward, morning! Probably mixing it up with Belgium which has.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway,
Good, it's Saturday coffee and cake day at the cantina
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flying out this afternoon to Geneva for Val Thorens. Wish they would just make the decision to close so we can get our money back. Don’t fancy being stuck out there
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@MJJ, don't go then. The money is irrelevant now. See mine and PamWs posts above.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps the French are just much smarter than everyone else, although somehow I doubt it...

But the UK hasn't closed its tourist attractions either?

I’m reading that it’s coming soon
ski holidays
MJJ wrote:
Flying out this afternoon to Geneva for Val Thorens. Wish they would just make the decision to close so we can get our money back. Don’t fancy being stuck out there

They made a decision already. To stay open. Good.
ski holidays
how can the french resorts stay open ....? swiss have just closed, italy closed, austria closed..
latest report
@andyj007, Because they have studied the situation and are happy for ski resorts to stay open.

As of last night (Prefecture website) there were 9 cases of the virus in the Savoie - population 433k
As of this morning (BBC) there were 4 cases of the virus in York - population 210k.

So, almost identical in terms of confirmed cases per head of population.

Is York shut? No.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, good point, well made
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@andyj007, Because they have studied the situation and are happy for ski resorts to stay open.

As of last night (Prefecture website) there were 9 cases of the virus in the Savoie - population 433k
As of this morning (BBC) there were 4 cases of the virus in York - population 210k.

So, almost identical in terms of confirmed cases per head of population.

Is York shut? No.

Very sensible point ... I can’t believe the population of Savoie is only 433K though?

What’s the feeling / sentiment amongst the locals in Tignes by the way?
latest report
My bars and restaurants to close comment comes from bars and restaurants in ADH closing and telling non French staff not to come in for time being. There’s been no directive on this, but is what the business owners are doing. Not a large number as yet, but it is happening, also one large hotel, 200+ beds has closed its doors for the season.
snow report
Heathrow airport spookily quiet.
snow report
@chocksaway, because each week many visitors from all over the world are coming into and leaving ski resorts. York may get some visitors but I doubt the volumes are like ski resorts.
snow conditions
Not dissimilar in Isere. Population of around a million and I believe now 23 cases, it hasn't been updated. I don't believe any are in ski resorts but around Grenoble, etc. Generally associated with known clusters. Locals here think we're probably on borrowed time.
ski holidays
Last time I went to York it was absolutely heaving with visitors from around the world. Didn't have an inch walking up the Shambles let alone a metre.
ski holidays
@johnE, I didn’t think you could to be honest ! Curious to know
snow report
@Claude B, York is like a deserted ghost town.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyj007 wrote:
how can the french resorts stay open ....? swiss have just closed, italy closed, austria closed..

Because despite the same ban on gatherings over 100 people the French government didn’t specifically state ski resorts must close and unsurprisingly the ski resorts want to stay open. There must be a fair chance that after the elections tomorrow they will extend the controls and ski resorts will be affected. Nothing is certain but you should consider this as a potential scenario (which is likely IMO although others may have a different opinion).
ski holidays
@kitenski, I think you had better come and have a beer in York (it's only a fiver on the train!) with me (if I am allowed back). In 2018 York had 6.9 million visitors, the maximum bed capacity of Tignes and Val D'Isere is 35,000 (ish) and the season is about 20 weeks.

As @Claude B, says it is rammed with lots of ancient old buildings with low ceilings converted into vertical drinking establishments, lots of high traffic tourist attractions (York Dungeon, Jorvik etc). Thanks to the university it is a city as diverse as London in terms of nationalities.

Not saying I'm an expert but it sometimes helps to compare.
ski holidays
I guess though that's as people have chosen not to go rather than being banned.
latest report
More importantly... will/has the current situation have/had a noticeable impact on the quality of the Apres ski in the French resorts?
snow report
Probably asked elsewhere so apologies, but does anyone know where you stand if they close the resort but you are still ok to travel and hotel open from an insurance perspective? While I like the alps, don’t really fancy spending 4k for a week in a chalet in a closed village, there is only so much ‘articulate’ I can stand
snow conditions
The french elections aren't just tomorrow though. First round on 15th and second on 22nd.
snow conditions
400 Cheeses and no word for Elephant. All you need to know about the French Very Happy
ski holidays
@BobinCH, Of course its a potential scenario, but there will be municipal elections the following week as well, because of the way the system works. The headlines may not have included ski resorts but this is from Radio Val:

Val d'Isère Téléphériques affirme que le domaine skiable reste ouvert et qu'aucune fermeture anticipée n'est prévue. Cette décision pourrait évoluer en fonction des recommandations officielles. Les cabines des téléphériques et le funival sont nettoyés régulièrement, ainsi que les banques d'accueil et les points de vente. Le nombre de personnes autorisées dans le funival et le téléphérique du Fornet est limité, conformément aux directives gouvernementales. La STVI assouplit ses conditions d’annulation en laissant la possibilité aux clients de se rétracter jusqu'au 1er jour de validité de leur forfait de ski.

So numbers in enclosed spaces have been introduced in line with Government Directives.
ski holidays
Chamonix is quieter but pubs and restaurants still open and busy. Somebody said there had not been any cases of corona here but not sure if that's true.

Selfishly I hope the lifts stay open as I'm here till thursday but would understand if the authorities take action to close the lifts.

A sensible step would be to close the big cable cars?
snow report
Hmm éléphant ffs
snow report
My friend sent me a picture from the Dunkirk ferry last night, nobody on it! Just a handful of hgvs. They are Tarantaise bound and realistic it may just be a day or two they get, hopefully for them they get the week tho.
Be interested to know if the Louvre and Eiffel Tower closing etc was a government choice or decisions they took themselves...
The UK is grinding to a halt but it's due to individuals and businesses making sensible choices. A good thing and very reassuring that most realise the potential gravity of what's happening/might happen. I'm worried for my OH who works in the NHS, they are all being ICU trained and day surgery has been cancelled, I pray we won't be seeing hospitals in tents like in Lombardy on the news last night. 250 deaths in 24 hours there.
snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
Hmm éléphant ffs

I am sure I heard President George W. Bush proclaimed, “The problem with the French is that they don’t have a word for entrepreneur.”

Don’t care if it’s true...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy