Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
@Claude B, I always struggle to find downloads on my android
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@holidayloverxx, I don't think its downloading I can find the first one.

Our maire has just made short term rentals illegal. Too late though imo.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:

I always struggle to find downloads on my android

I can recommend the File Manager+ app which has a very easy to find interface to your folders
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alphainventor.filemanager&hl=en_GB
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@geoffers, cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Claude B, you should just go to the site as per usual and fill in the form, I've now set it up to autofill address, choose the reason, time and date etc and then download, and it should overwrite the previous attestation.

So today I'm happy to report that I was pulled over by a very nice gendarmesse, and I exclaimed how pleased I was and that it was my first time and it was all very smiley smiley and I passed her my phone and had to zoom in on the barcode for her to scan and then she asked me my name and address to confirm everything.

I asked if I could take a photo for my blog etc and she politely declined Laughing

At the main Geant supermarket, there were only a few non 05 cars.

I then went elsewhere to buy a TV and in that commercial area similar story.

Back again and walking the dogs local Police Municipal drove past us and we all waved.

Have to say there are at least four chalets now occupied that were not last week, and a few apartments.

That said OH read that 25% of the normal Hautes Alpes Inter Season population have left to go elsewhere and I know of at least two who have left this week, big test according to the Social Media doom-mongers will be this weekend and people coming up from the South.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@geoffers, cheers

Your post has prompted me to find another brilliant function I'd not used - the [Cloud] folder allows you to access files stored on eg Google Drive; Dropbox etc

However if you've got multiple Dropbox under different emails you can access them all separately from here without having to constantly log out & back in.

The (Access from) folder is brilliant for easily transferring (ftp) files to & from a PC
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@geoffers, don't use google drive or dropbox but good to know if I start to
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Claude B, sometimes I find that the browser French > English translation popup stops the attestation from downloading. Once I've scrolled to the top of the page and cleared the popup, the download starts. I usually find in by going to Downloads in my browser menu. Also on Android.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sno trax, Cheers I'll play with it again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That was the cause of the problem, cheers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Our maire has just made short term rentals illegal. Too late though imo.

I don't think they really expected the stupid. Mrs U says lots of GE plates in Cham town (I haven't been down in a couple of days) and lots of Italians ("how", I ask?, good question).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:

So today I'm happy to report that I was pulled over by a very nice gendarmesse, and I exclaimed how pleased I was and that it was my first time and it was all very smiley smiley

I tend to avoid the gendarmerie when i see them on patrol, we have such a rat-run of paths between the houses we can do this pretty efficiently. There are reports of a huge upsurge in the French dobbing their neighbours in it. Probably old folk who think it is still WW2.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our commune is ordering in masks for everyone in anticipation of it becoming compulsory.

Le port du masque obligatoire pour le dé-confinement
Afin d’envisager le dé-confinement, il semble de plus en plus probable que le port du masque devienne obligatoire. Nous avons demandé au service des marchés publics de prévoir la commande de masques afin de fournir à tous les habitants et aux agents de la collectivité des masques. Pour la population des masques lavables seront commandés et des masques jetables pour certains agents notamment pour les services techniques et les personnels du pole enfance.
Nous vous communiquerons prochainement les dispositions pour retirer ces masques.
Bon weekend de Pâques malgré cette situation de confinement.
Les élus des Deux Alpes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Claude B, I was wondering how the distribution of masks might work, that does make sense, but would think it's going to take quite a long while, probably what Macron will tell us all on Monday, and that will be the reason for the extension to the end of the month?

With the weather like this no complaints, in fact the dogs are staying inside on the cool floor rather than out in the heat!

Then looks like this spell of decent weather might be coming to an end by late Sunday Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So the question, when you fill in the details and download to your phone, are those details on a database?

When I was stopped last week, the bar-code was scanned and from her screen, she asked me to confirm name, address etc details

So are all my "downloaded" attestation excursions now logged as a list?

The above had me thinking as yesterday I accidentally got lost and ended up being out for 90 mins or so and strayed some 4km from home, so I was thinking that I could simply download another form and that would overwrite the previous one?

And then hypothetically of course, late yesterday afternoon some friends were walking behind where we live (we're in the sun more) and they called me up to see if I was at home, trouble was that I was on the turbo in my garage, so we were having a chat and talked about how we should maybe go for a walk and return to ours for 2m social distancing drinks, they can sit on my neighbour's terrace Very Happy

And then they have two options, download another form just as they are leaving here hence the original question, and or write out a couple new forms from hard copies that we have and same strategy could be good for me if I accidentally spend more time out?

Should also add that the chance of them getting caught is just about zero as they can walk back across the fields.

Mates back home are doing bonker's cycling distances, so much for stay at home Mad
ski holidays
Masks do very little...
ski holidays
There's something on the site saying data isn't gathered. However I believe the barcode includes info on when it was generated ie you wouldn't get away with another after an hour when 1km away.
snow report
A first for us. QR code zapped by the gendarmerie whilst walking the dog this am. On the road up to the Plateau des Glières.
Luckily all ok
snow report
Voiced my concern to the OH about this possibility of some idiots when I went shopping on Friday and I see that in Chamonix several non-local cars from outside have been vandalised.

Did also say that I should go the tabac and buy a couple of 05 stickers, think will definitely do that now!

Today I went out on the road bike and stuck to the 1km radius and dead on the hour, doing six x 5km circuits

https://www.strava.com/activities/3288737535
latest report
@Weathercam, and how did those tw@ts know that the car was driven by non-residents? tw@ts.
snow report
I think generally in a small place they do. Aside from unfamiliar plates if someone turns up in your building or car park it's either a 2nd home owner (who you probably know), who shouldn't be there or worse someone renting it. Feelings are running pretty high athough I wouldn't condone that.

My building is only 33 apartments in 2 wings. In my side there are only 2 permanently occupied. No one else turned up, if they had I'd obviously know.
ski holidays
It was going down to the SuperMarket last week that I was concerned as down there my van is not as well known as here in the village and all it takes is some ignorant tw@ts.

Also was not helped by people on Social Media one who runs a major hotel and whose living relies on tourists ranting about people from outside the area etc

And the cars that did have non 05 plates are maybe like me and many others who were here well before the start of the lock-down and have decided to sit it out here.

We'll see what Macron has to say, but should imagine it's to the end of the month, though must admit don't like the rumours about confining the over 60's !!!!!

If that's the case then there's as much of a case to bring in weight, underlying health and other more controversial factors into the argument as well based on demographics of deceased todate.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think generally in a small place they do.

Bollox, don't defend the idiots. My Chx neighbour lives there year round. After 10years of driving the same Nissan he just bought a fancy new Range Rover, as he works in CH he bought it there. He's now terrified it will get vandalised outside his own apartment (we park in a public car park) by the 'see you next Tuesday' with the spray can.

Luckily my UK reg truck that I can't get back to collect has been moved by a friend to a private drive where it should be safe.
latest report
Plus they are spraying anything not 74, and these days you can buy used on the web from all over France and (unless I'm wrong) you don't have to change to a 74 plate anymore.
snow report
Quote:

must admit don't like the rumours about confining the over 60's !!!!!

If that's the case then there's as much of a case to bring in weight, underlying health and other more controversial factors into the argument as well based on demographics of deceased todate.

I agree. I suspect there'd be a lot of opposition to lockdowns based on "categories" of people which seem arbitrary, unfair and ineffective. Once the initial wave of deaths is over, and the health facilities can manage with justified triage criteria (it's NEVER been the case that everybody gets to ICU before they die) and the lockdown can be eased, my vote would be to leave decisions to individuals. Amongst my acquaintances some people are paranoid and hiding away - and they can keep doing that for as long as they wish. Others, including me, are keen to get back to a more normal way of life, meeting small groups of friends, doing activities which don't involve big numbers, etc.

Some sad and unpleasant stories from France. In areas like Savoie the extreme suspicion of the "other" - not excluding the people a few miles away in the next valley - has always been a feature of life.
latest report
As an aside:

In the UK (and France) we are not supposed to travel to our second homes, but I notice Boris has gone to his 'country residence' to convalesce.
latest report
There is a brit car in Tignes this morning that I have never seen before?
ski holidays
Almost as ironic as the Portuguese nurse "saving his life".

Mostly the anger here is directed at the authorities for not doing more to stop people coming. Given there is only one road in it would have been really easy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, my OH has just reminded me that Macron's OH is 67, in fact it's her birthday today Laughing

Based on Davidof's post and image below and my chat with the Lady Gendarme, and having downloaded image to my phone....

davidof wrote:

and for the Hautes-Alpes, the prefecture blusters before admitting that it is legal - obviously within a radius of 1km and a duration of 1 hour

Yesterday I went out on the road bike in full lycra and stuck to a 5km (x6) loop keeping to a 1km radius and squeezed in within the hour.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3288737535
snow report
So .... another four weeks says Macron.......and no festivals or sporting events until mid July......hmmm - Tour de France peut être ?
ski holidays
Strict lockdown to 11th May (to avoid the holidays at the start of May - my wife thinks we will be in lockdown or semi-lockdown to the start of June)
Local byelaws affecting running suspended
8 million French laid off supported by govt.
Aid plan for tourism
Schools to open from 11th May.
Universities to remain shut.
Work to restart 11th May.
Tourism to stay shut till mid July - no TdF (as above)
Certain people to remain confined after 11 May. (To be defined, maybe over 60s?)
Electronic tracking via phones
Frontiers extra-European will remain shut
Masks to be worn on public transport etc. (details not certain yet)
More details to follow in two weeks
African debt to be cancelled
Relocalization of industry and agriculture.
-- Macron
latest report
If they extend it for over 60s they can f**k right off Evil or Very Mad I'm climbing the walls already and need to go back to UK at some stage too. Although that could make returning tricky Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
@Claude B, I think @davidof, is trying to wind us old gits up Laughing

I think it's just as likely and more beneficial to lock down the cities out of control like Grenoble Laughing

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 13-04-20 20:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Weathercam, I hope so Laughing
snow report
My daughter suggested I start organising a party Shocked I said I'd just like to walk up the mountain a little. Have a beer on the terrace of a bar. Talk to people. That's all. Simple needs Very Happy
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@Claude B, I think @davidof, is trying to wind us old gits up Laughing

well you mentioned it first. As you said, the rumour is over 60s.

They can nuke Grenoble from space for all I care, it is a carbunckle on the Alps.
ski holidays
@davidof, are you referring to the recent Paris running byelaws?
ski holidays
I think the mid-July date referred to music festivals specifically - hotels, theatres, restaurants to “stay closed at this stage” I think was what was said.

Rumours ASO have come to an agreement to run TdF in August, Vuelta in September and a rather chilly Giro in October!
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
....well you mentioned it first. As you said, the rumour is over 60s........

That's bizarre as I'm 99% sure I got that from you in another Covid thread elsewhere Puzzled

Well anyway have to say where ever it came from was getting the OH quite wound up Laughing

I was 99% sure it wasn't on the cards, but have to admit that returning to the UK would have been the only option if indeed that was the case.
latest report
Quote:

returning to the UK would have been the only option if indeed that was the case.

but would you be allowed to return? I'm horrified at the idea of an "over 60s continued lockdown" too. I'm in an extremely fortunate situation, where I am, absolutely no complaints, but the prospect is still appalling.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy