Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:
@Claude B, have seen a few posts on FB from locals saying that there are now many Belgians and Parisians here for the holiday period, these are from people that hardly ever go out for a walk etc and I was asked by my guide mate who lives above La Grave in Les Hières as he'd heard that people were skiing here!

seem to be some more people moving around. A friend from Montetier got stopped on his bike by the Genadarmes but he had 20kg of shopping in his rucksack so he was ok. He doesn't have a car.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, got stopped by the local police on our walk just below Les Menuires this morning. They wanted to see our attestations and reminded us that it is 1 hour and 1 km maximum.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was talk about the schools going back around 4th May then I heard they have cancelled the school busses until September return.

Figures not good today.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alpinebear,

The figures always seem to dip on Sundays and have a big increase on Monday’s (ignoring the recent inclusion of nursing home cases). The general trend does still seem to be in the right direction hopefully. An important week coming up.

@davidof, lots of non 74 number plates in Morzine this week. I’m amazed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@zzz, The number plates don't mean anything anymore.
It used to be the case that cars were registered with the (sous) Prefecture of where you lived, so they were "local" but since it became nationalised, the small 2 digit department designator is not officially part of the number plate and you can have what you like. Case in point is a second home owner from Les Yvelines (just west of Paris) normally has 78, but when he come down he changes it to 74. Others like me just me just leave the original plate on second hand vehicles, so my motorbike has a 25 plate.
Also there lots of DVLA registered vehicles around here - but then many of those cars are here all year anyway.
I think the reported drop in deaths at weekends is just a reporting lag, as deaths are registered with the Mairie, and the the Prefect before being collated nationally. Many Mairie have very limited opening at the weekend, so this suppresses the weekend figures until Monday / Tuesday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@WindOfChange, have to say re number plates that is not the case down here, I'd say currently it's 98% 05.

When I finally go to the supermarket tomorrow, as we've managed ten days since the last shop, I'll have a closer look in the parking Laughing

I really hope that after the 15th they look at individual departments and relax the rules, but somehow I can't see that happening, and even if it does don't think we'll be able to cycle/ski tour.

The ski tour conditions/weather have just been superb almost every day since containment started, best for three to four seasons I reckon Mad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andy1234, probs best to clarify that it's 1km radius ... I did a 6km run yesterday... If we weren't perched on a hill near the top of town, I could easily get a full hour's worth, without thinking too hard.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, thanks Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@andy1234, probs best to clarify that it's 1km radius ... I did a 6km run yesterday... If we weren't perched on a hill near the top of town, I could easily get a full hour's worth, without thinking too hard.

1km and 100 meters of vertical in the Haute-Savoie
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, vertical above, to be pedantic...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WindOfChange wrote:
@zzz, The number plates don't mean anything anymore.
It used to be the case that cars were registered with the (sous) Prefecture of where you lived, so they were "local" but since it became nationalised, the small 2 digit department designator is not officially part of the number plate and you can have what you like. Case in point is a second home owner from Les Yvelines (just west of Paris) normally has 78, but when he come down he changes it to 74. Others like me just me just leave the original plate on second hand vehicles, so my motorbike has a 25 plate.

I was comparing last week and this week. I can’t believe many people can be arsed to change their plates when they go on holiday.

Agree about weekend reporting. Leads to a spike on Mondays.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidof, @under a new name,
and non cumulative ie by contour lines rather than Strava etc
....not that I’m in any way obsessed by this of course Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I managed to get 6km+ and 300m done in my hour, brisk walking not running. Dead boring though. Up the road and down the steps behind mine 5 to 6 times Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I can’t believe many people can be arsed to change their plates when they go on holiday.

+1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam,
Quote:

we've managed ten days since the last shop

Haven’t been let near a shop since “lockdown Tuesday”; not saying we’re getting desperate but even the dog's starting to look quite tasty.
snow conditions
@gvj, Yeah, it's a boundary not a quantity.

@zzz, Do you not change your plates? I have different ones with different colours for every day of the week and a special one for when I am really grumpy. Oh and my drinking ones as well.
ski holidays
French transport minister says "don't book summer holidays"

https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/coronavirus-le-secretaire-d-etat-aux-transports-deconseille-de-reserver-pour-les-grandes-vacances-1890606.html
ski holidays
@davidof, NOt sure quite how much you can read into that, I mean, what else could he say?
snow report
@gvj, what about the wine and beer?

The PGHM helicopter was flying around again patrolling, can't help but feel that's a waste of resources, that said they are forever training, so why don't I ring them up and say would they like a ski tourer to try and find if I tell them what sector I'll be going to Laughing

Just had a look at the PGHM Briancon FB page and this was posted 3hrs ago

Les contrôles se poursuivent. Pour le bien de tous merci de respecter le confinement !
RESTEZ CHEZ VOUS

So we were wondering if they dropped someone down to "nick" them Laughing
snow report
1400 deaths reported in France today Sad

It looks like the lock down is going to be extended for a long time
snow report
Lots of complaints on locals FB sites about people arriving Shocked
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

fashion police, arrest this man
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, NOt sure quite how much you can read into that, I mean, what else could he say?

Given the govt. comm. has been to start soft and ramp things up I'm thinking about cancelling the summer vacation outside France and booking a hotel / appt or something very close to home depending on whether any bars / restaurants will open. Due to school holidays we're constrained to July / August. It doesn't look like going outside France is going to be possible/easy. There is talk on the TV about everything being closed to September ! But it is just talk.
latest report
Locals are complaining about outsiders arriving and why didn't the gendarmes stop them. There are a few more cars with non 38 plates outside mine.
latest report
@davidof, I think that would be (globally) economically catastrophic. Can't see it without a significant degradation in infectious trajectories (typed He, tempting fate wink )
snow report
Claude B wrote:
Locals are complaining about outsiders arriving and why didn't the gendarmes stop them. There are a few more cars with non 38 plates outside mine.

Yes same here, numerous posts on FB about it, can't find the one listing the reg numbers

Bizarre... Ça circule vachement plus à Briançon... Et il y a pleine nouveaux chiens dans le quartier. Avec leurs maîtres, bien évidemment. Çe n'est quand même pas des vacanciers qui sont venus? Mais si! Parce qu'ils ne savent pas ce que veut dire RESTEZ CHEZ VOUS. LE CONFINEMENT CE N'EST PAS DES VACANCES, ET ON NE PART PAS EN VACANCES!!!!

Villard laté , Chemin des clos 16h/17h : Les nouveaux... quais de Seine !
65 personnes comptées dont 6 VTTistes émérites.

Like I said I think it' a minimal % that made it through, and when I go to the supermarket I'll carry some docs from when I went to see my Doctor before lock-down to show I was here well before just in case some NIMBY says something to me and wants a debate Laughing

And @davidof,

davidof wrote:
...I'm thinking about cancelling the summer vacation outside France and booking a hotel/appt or something very close to home depending on whether any bars/restaurants will open.....

Should it come to that and there is stuff open I can sort you out here with a choice of appts, loads for your boy to do (if stuff is open) and some reasonable cycling on your doorstep, never know we might still be here rolling eyes

I'm going up the hill shortly for a speed hike and aiming for circa 2.5km and 500m vertical, not allowed to take the dogs as I'm going on my own in case I lose them !!

Still waiting for my camo running kit to arrive and face paint etc Laughing

And if you don't know, Paris and other major cities following suit

From Wednesday, April 8th, people can no longer be allowed to leave their homes for the purposes of physical exercise between 10am and 7pm.

In a joint press release from Mayor Anne Hidalgo and city police chief Didier Lallement sent out on Tuesday, it was announced that anyone wanting to go for a run or other individual exercise would have to do so before 10am or after 7pm at night - "when the streets are generally at their quietest\".

Exercising between those hours is now forbidden.
latest report
See what I don't get why doesn't the reporter film all the non 05 cars to prove her point, mainly because there are so few!

https://vimeo.com/405047437?ref=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR3-JVTq_Sd81I33LqMGfl6zPIaQ80E_7s4HJ2r4wUYa3-LbwagQMGRIBMM
ski holidays
@Claude B, same in ADH. Selfish people.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, I think that would be (globally) economically catastrophic. Can't see it without a significant degradation in infectious trajectories (typed He, tempting fate wink )

it may just be expectation management - give the worst case scenario then people will be happy if it turns out better.
ski holidays
L’évolution du COVID 19 dépend du confinement.
Même s’il est assez bien respecté aux 2 Alpes avec le beau temps qui persiste, nous devons être d’autant plus vigilant et respecter les règles tous ensemble.
Le PGHM a fait des contrôles récemment sur les sentiers de randonnée et ils ont constaté qu’il y avait encore des promeneurs loin de chez eux.
Malgré les règles de confinement, nous avons aussi remarqué que des vacanciers propriétaires de résidences secondaires, sont arrivés sur la station.
Il est très difficile de tout contrôler mais la gendarmerie ainsi que la police municipale vont renforcer la surveillance et si besoin verbaliser.
Je compte sur la responsabilité de chacun et sur le bon sens pour ne pas effectuer non plus de locations de courte durée de leur appartement et cela afin de maintenir les dispositifs sanitaires en place.
Merci à toutes et à tous.

Just had this from the maire. So PGHM have caught people on hiking Parhs and they're aware of 2nd home owners and may be talking to them.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

And @davidof,

davidof wrote:
...I'm thinking about cancelling the summer vacation outside France and booking a hotel/appt or something very close to home depending on whether any bars/restaurants will open.....

Should it come to that and there is stuff open I can sort you out here with a choice of appts, loads for your boy to do (if stuff is open) and some reasonable cycling on your doorstep, never know we might still be here rolling eyes

Yes, thanks I will bear that in mind, it is one of our choices.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-04-20 11:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

65 personnes comptées dont 6 VTTistes émérites.

had some local ranting about me being on my mountain bike... but it is not forbidden. She was prattling on about the interior ministry saying it was forbidden but I pointed out that it takes more than a politician flapping his or her lips for something to be law.

Quote:
Vous avez du voir passer beaucoup d'infographies, notamment depuis hier soir venant du Ministère de l'Intérieur qui disent interdire le vélo. Recadrage de Mme la Ministre de la Transition Ecologique et Solidaire: Le gouvernement n'interdit pas le vélo et conseille juste la course à pieds.
On peut pratiquer l'activité que l'on souhaite du moment que l'on respecte le Décret n° 2020-293 du 23 mars 2020 prescrivant les mesures générales nécessaires pour faire face à l'épidémie de covid-19 dans le cadre de l'état d'urgence sanitaire, c'est dire : pratique individuelle limitée à une heure et dans un rayon max d'un kilomètre de son domicile.
Le conseil d'Etat avait en effet demandé au gouvernement de préciser les conditions de sortie pour l'exercice Physique.

Lavez vous les mains après l'utilisation de votre vélo bien sûr !

Le but du confinement est bien de diviser par QUATRE ou plus vos interactions sociales et contacts physiques pour faire en sorte que le R0 de l'épidémie passe à une valeur < 1 ce qui la fera décroître.
Prenez soin de vous, prenez soin des autres et n'hésitez pas par ailleurs à aider vos semblables, dans l'intérêt général

You must have seen a lot of infographics, especially since last night from the Ministry of the Interior who say they ban bikes. Minister for the Ecological and Solidarity Transition corrects the false information: The government does not prohibit cycling and simply advises running.
You can practice the activity you want as long as you comply with Decree No. 2020-293 of March 23, 2020 prescribing the general measures necessary to deal with the epidemic of covid-19 in the context of the 'state of health emergency' means: individual practice limited to one hour and within a maximum radius of one kilometer from one's home.
The Council of State had in fact asked the government to specify the exit conditions for physical exercise.

Wash your hands after using your bike of course!

The goal of confinement is to divide by FOUR or more your social interactions and physical contacts to ensure that the R0 of the epidemic goes to a value <1 which will decrease it.
Take care of yourself, take care of others and do not hesitate to help others, in the general interest

and for the Hautes-Alpes, the prefecture blusters before admitting that it is legal - obviously within a radius of 1km and a duration of 1 hour

latest report
We went out for a cycle ride en famille the other night, within 1km and 1 hour. One of the neighbours made a comment that it wasn't allowed - he wasn't being nasty and he often goes out jogging. I think he was just misinterpreting the rules. Though I have heard of acquaintances locally being stopped by the gendarmes and told cycling not allowed.

France Bleu Isère said that Macron would make another announcement tomorrow night extending the confinement for several weeks.
snow report
Pres. Macron enjoying some social distancing yesterday (probably thinking about BoJo at the time).

oh lord, get me the f*ck out of here before I catch me death

ski holidays
@davidof, not impressive for one Ministry to need to be corrected by another, especially as this time the rules were pretty black and white. rolling eyes
latest report
Well the maire has taken notice. I went for a little walk this afternoon and there was a police control in the middle of town stopping all vehicles. Effectively every vehicle arriving, leaving or moving about the town. 6 of them a mixture of gendarmes and police municipale. There are more non 38 cars about but it was still virtually deserted in town.
snow conditions
More little stories, that said looks like an outsider has snuck in overnight in the parking of the building next door to us !!!

https://www.20minutes.fr/societe/2756379-20200407-coronavirus-gens-debarquent-toute-impunite-coup-gueule-maires-montagne-face-arrivee-vacanciers?fbclid=IwAR0BSh8KChS3UWeanAUNgRwMcqbhknGj-HGehEpydSQnKUE7b4SxYZv7V7I

I'm off shopping today so will see for myself

And that DICI link I posted above that caused a bit of a shite storm here on social media has been taken down as two of the non 05 car plates she was referring to belonged to the owner of one of the main Monetier Hotels rolling eyes
latest report
We’ve no interest in heading up to the hills.....nothing open, not allowed to hike / mtb etc. But can understand that others might be fed up living in a city apartment and want to escape to their second home. I suppose with the new phone attestation once you’ve declared an address you have to stay there until the end.

We spend most of the year down near Lac Leman. Similar size village to Les Gets, ~1000 permanent residents. But it’s very relaxed here, police municipal drives around all day but doesn’t stop people cycling, jogging or exercising within the rules etc.

We’re under 1km from the lake so the Mrs has been down for a swim the last 2 evenings. Water is only 7 degrees but she swears it’s bliss once you’re in. Crystal clear and completely silent compared to normal, no speedboats, overhead airplanes etc

Am wondering if it’s allowed....I imagine as it warms up quickly lots of others will be doing the same thing.
latest report
The phone attestation worked for me the first time but not since. Go through the motions and it says its downloaded. If it is I can't find it, certainly not in the same place as the first one. Android.
ski holidays
Just been shopping and there were far, far more people in there. From their shopping and other habits it was obvious that many are on "holiday". Locals are livid with them and with the police for doing too little too late.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy