Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
denfinella wrote:
We are due to fly home on Thursday morning, which would be just beyond 48 hours.

Assuming your flight isn't cancelled. My American colleague is currently stuck in the UK for who knows how long because he can't find a flight back across the Atlantic. He thought he was OK because he had a reservation, but now whole routes are being cancelled because there aren't enough travellers. He's a US citizen so isn't directly affected by restrictions on travel from the UK, other than the need to self-isolate.

If you can change your plans (and most airlines are being flexible at the moment) then I would.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
denfinella wrote:
davidof wrote:

Pres. Macron will make an announcement tonight at 20h00.

Claims that it will be a 45 day total lockdown. From 8pm tonight you'll have 48 hours to get home then a full army mobilization to stop people moving. Curfew at 6pm. Fines and Prison for those not obeying the law.

Where did you get this information from? And surely they wouldn't stop foreigners from leaving? We are due to fly home on Thursday morning, which would be just beyond 48 hours.

from someone at the Senate, but we'll know in 10 minutes how much is really going to happen, be a good fact check.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are packing ready to leave tomorrow but still waiting for confirmation that our F1 and ferry bookings have changed. Even if we just turn up I can’t see them turning us away.

Had a good day out (along with at least 50 others) skinning up Pierre a Ric and then Bochard so at least I’ve managed one day’s skiing this year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. lockdown from midday tomorrow for at least 15 days, no one to leave home, except to get food or for essential journeys
2. firms to shut except for essential staff or people who can't telework, otherwise teleworking
3. restrictions are legally binding
4. large firms to be protected from banks calling in loans and paying tax
5. small firms exempted from tax and bills (electricity, gas, water)
6. self employed to get help
7. employees to have access to unemployment benefits
8. borders to close at midday tomorrow, foreigners can return home
exact details to follow this evening, it seems like the curfew story is #fakenews

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 16-03-20 19:44; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, can we still leave to go home.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does Macron wear a wig?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can leave to get home tomorrow but apart from that the borders are closed for 30 days, you'll have to see what your transporter is running as all links are to be cut

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 16-03-20 19:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@davidof,
I thought he said you can also go outdoors for exercise?
I run alone so no problem
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stewart woodward wrote:
@davidof,

you can go out but you must not meet with anyone
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
@davidof,

you can go out but you must not meet with anyone

They will all be overtaking me, so their problem rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof, as you understand it, will foreigners be able to travel to Geneva airport later this week?
The people that I'm asking for would have to use a taxi or other means to get there.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 16-03-20 19:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidof, thanks for the updates.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro wrote:
@davidof, as you understand it, will foreigners be able to travel to Geneva airport later this week?
They would have to use a taxi or other means to get there.

you'll have to see if any flights are running, it is a Schengen wide measure which will include CH
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
“Nous sommes en guerre.”

Well, I understood that bit - he said it often enough.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No idea of the details, France will leave the border open to other Schengen countries but some, like Germany, have blocked their side of the border. I just got an sms from someone who is loading his car as we speak and driving overnight to Calais.
ski holidays
https://www.france24.com/en/live is a good source
ski holidays
From BBC

President Macron is announcing a raft of measures as he puts France on a war-footing to fight the virus.

Here are the key details:

All non-essential movement to be banned from Tuesday midday for 15 days; residents must stay at home
Punishments for those flouting the regulations
Army to be used to help transport the sick to hospital
Military hospital to be used in Alsace, near German border
Borders to be closed in agreement with other European Union countries
Second round of local elections postponed
No business, regardless of size, will be allowed to fail
France will go into enforced lockdown from Tuesday midday, French President Emmanuel Macron has said in a national address from the Elysee Palace.

All residents have been ordered to stay at home, and can only leave for essential reasons.

Movements will be very severely limited, he said,

"We are at war," the president said numerous times.

I thought I heard him say something about sporting activities, but nothing about Ski Randonee Laughing

If anyone can find a full transcript will be appreciated, and luckily nothing about 45 days
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
1. lockdown from midday tomorrow for at least 15 days, no one to leave home, except to get food or for essential journeys
2. firms to shut except for essential staff or people who can't telework, otherwise teleworking
3. restrictions are legally binding
4. large firms to be protected from banks calling in loans and paying tax
5. small firms exempted from tax and bills (electricity, gas, water)
6. self employed to get help
7. employees to have access to unemployment benefits
8. borders to close at midday tomorrow, foreigners can return home
exact details to follow this evening, it seems like the curfew story is #fakenews

First post. Not sure whether this is how to reply on thread.
Thx for this. My daughter is a seasoner fro La Plagne. Currently at Lyons for flight after midday tomorrow. Do you know if they’ll be allowed out? From above I’m reading that they will.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I thought he said something about physical activity as well but not repeated elsewhere ...
latest report
@Murrays, Welcome -- I am sure they will allow non-French residents to leave..
snow report
Friends take on it.

My reading is that we can go to the shops once a day and we can go out to exercise so long as we don't meet anyone. Solo bike ride should be OK.

And then he said no change for me in ski touring as I go on my own anyway leaving my OH further down the mountain Laughing
latest report
@Weathercam, do you think we can drive somewhere to go for a walk (away from other people)?
latest report
Roads are going to be bedlam tomorrow.

Finding fuel might be a problem. Try here:
https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/
latest report
@Murrays, Our seasonnaire son is being flown back tomorrow afternoon. Ingham's/Esprit/Total chartering planes specially. I believe the French government have asked all seasonnaires to leave so I don't think they'll being putting any obstacles in the way.
ski holidays
@denfinella, are you on non French plates?

If so feign ignorance and go for a drive somewhere quiet etc
snow report
@Sailbad the Sinner,

Thank you. She has a flight and she/we will check with airline
snow report
@Weathercam, Spanish plates actually! Hire car from Marseille. Yes, may well feign ignorance... we'll, we genuinely don't know the exact rules, so nothing to pretend about!
snow conditions
You need to self certify to leave your house. These are the rules

Quote:
Since January 2020, an epidemic of Coronavirus COVID-19 (ex 2019-nCoV) has spread from China.

On March 16, 2020, the President of the Republic decided to take measures to reduce contact and travel to the strict minimum throughout the territory from Tuesday March 17 at 12:00 noon, for a minimum of fifteen days.

Exceptions to the certificate will be possible in the context of:

travel between home and the place of exercise of the professional activity,
when they are essential for the exercise of activities which cannot be organized
in the form of telework (on permanent proof) or travel
professionals who cannot be deferred;

trips to make essential purchases in
authorized establishments (list on government.fr);

travel for health reasons;

trips for imperative family reasons, for assistance to persons
vulnerable or child care;

brief trips, close to home, linked to individual physical activity
people, to the exclusion of any collective sporting practice, and to the needs
pets.

here is the information page and pdf you need to print off or copy with a pen, this is for any trip: shops, go for a run, cycle etc. You are not supposed to be moving between communes, driving around, etc.

Note: You will need this form to go outside of your house, you should not travel outside of your area, you need a new form for every time you go outside, dated. There will be controls from midday today. No exceptions for non-French.

Measures are expected last around 45 days in total

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-derogatoire
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just printed off a dozen Very Happy
latest report
And yet our FCO is still not saying you cannot go there...….protecting the insurance industry?
snow report
KenX wrote:
Just printed off a dozen Very Happy

The wife has been asking me for 10-days to get a new printer cartridge. Bügger!
latest report
You can download it as an editable pdf and digitally sign it Very Happy
snow report
It is very grey though, as in what constitutes "near the home"

Could I, for instance, cycle the 16km up to the Lautaret, or walk with the dogs and skin up the piste with them, or use the XC track?

Are outdoor physical activities allowed?

Outings essential for children's balance and individual physical activity are authorized near the home, respecting barrier gestures and avoiding any gathering.

Can I go out with my dog?

Yes, to allow him to meet his needs or for a veterinary appointment.

I reckon the detail will come out over the next few days as to what you can do, I suspect here will not be that well Policed?
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
It is very grey though, as in what constitutes "near the home"

Could I, for instance, cycle the 16km up to the Lautaret, or walk with the dogs and skin up the piste with them, or use the XC track?

probably you can cycle. For the xctrack or pistes, they are officially closed so you may have insurance issues, or not, if you have an accident but it doesn't seem like a big risk. You are supposed to stay in your commune, the Lauteret maybe ok for you but someone I know crashed his bike riding in the mountains yesterday and is in hospital today in Grenoble. They were not happy to see him so take it easy.

I suspect it will be well policed everywhere on the roads but I'll have a look later.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 17-03-20 9:20; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Just out getting some more supplies and spoke to gendarme in supermarket and he said yes to cycling and when I pushed him about up to Lautaret he shrugged and said a sort of yes, but tout seul.
He didn't want his photo taken with me Laughing
snow report
Anyone get the attestation to edit on an Android phone ?
ski holidays
just had a message from alpybus/chamexpress saying they have cancelled our transfer from cham to geneva airport as swiss border is closed!!!!!
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
Just out getting some more supplies

You might want to check your storage when you get back if you live anywhere near @davidof wink
snow conditions
@smac, we wondered if that was what happened when we saw all the queues around Geneva this morning. Surely, they could drive round and get in the French side.
snow report
Bodeswell wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
Just out getting some more supplies

You might want to check your storage when you get back if you live anywhere near @davidof wink

He's a bit too far, I could write it on my affidavit though: going out to nick supplies.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy