Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
This is the end

Last run this afternoon. Sad

http://youtube.com/v/ZeMlQEWEg2Q
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very happy for someone to direct me to a more relevant thread to ask my question...

I’m not sure what to do about my hotel booking in the now closed La Plagne.

Do I cancel now or let the booking run its course?

I spoke to the hotel who said they were open and they could honour the booking and that any cancellation fees (30% of the booking) would apply (rising to 100% of the booking in a few days’ time).

I appreciate what could be driving the hotel to hold to their T&Cs and don't particularly want to debate the rights and wrongs of the hotel’s position here.

I’m assuming that my insurance company will play dumb and suggest that the booking can theoretically be fulfilled as the hotel is open (even though everything else non-essential around the hotel is not); and that the not small matter of the pandemic and the Level 3 lockdown is irrelevant to them until the FCO declare travel to France is not recommended.

Back to my question; do I cancel now and push on with a 30% claim against my travel insurance and risk being told that as the booking can be fulfilled they won’t pay the 30%; or not cancel, hold out and hope that the FCO advise against travel to France between now and the end of the month and then claim for 100%?

I will call the insurance company tomorrow morning but interested if anyone else has a view before I do.

I’m hoping that the insurance company will encourage me to mitigate their costs and cancel the booking and then pay me the 30% as that feels like common sense.

But equally I’m not sure anyone is going to travel to France much in the next few months so I’m not sure the FCO will rule against travel to France.

Before anyone gets too upset about me ‘pulling the rug’ from under the hotel, I would hope that a) the hotel has some insurance for these situations and b) as the hotel is a corporate entity and not a ‘family’ business that the hotel finance director has prudently built up a reserve for difficult seasons (be it down to no snow, resort access being impaired, pandemics etc., etc)

The small print of my insurance does mention the FCO but isn’t explicit about the conditions that merit cancellation.

What do others think?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also saw a piste basher running down one edge of Pierre a Ric this evening possibly to create a better surface for those skinning up.

Both locals that we have spoken to suggest we head home asap in case the place goes into full lockdown at short notice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
altis wrote:
Also saw a piste basher running down one edge of Pierre a Ric this evening possibly to create a better surface for those skinning up.

Both locals that we have spoken to suggest we head home asap in case the place goes into full lockdown at short notice.

Lockdown expected early this week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sasha320, I'd delay the decision as long as you can. FCO advice may change before then, or the hotel may be forced to close. Expect a long wait on the phone before you can speak to anyone at the insurance company. If the situation hasn't changed before the last cancellation date, then cancel and take the 70%.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Claims by medical staff that the real infection rate for France is in the "hundreds of thousands". Hospitals in the east of France are approaching Italian levels of overload.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a posting on the Valley Echo FB page warning that there could be a travel ban in place between French departments from Tuesday onwards. Not sure what the implications would be for Brits wanting to drive home.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Claims by medical staff that the real infection rate for France is in the "hundreds of thousands". Hospitals in the east of France are approaching Italian levels of overload.

We had a very sudden change in message from my employer this evening as well. Went from 'some people can work from home' to 'building locked, don't even think about it'. Something major is indeed up in the east of France.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sj1608 wrote:
@timlongs, we're on our way home at the moment, so can't look up details, but there is a Carrefour market and fuel station about a mile off the autoroute, just before the tunnel. Way cheaper than on the autoroute and only a tiny diversion, versus overshooting the tunnel to go to the big Carrefour at Cite d'Europe. Will post exact details in the morning for you.

Thanks, drive safe. My crossing is at 21:50 tomorrow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sasha320 wrote:
... Before anyone gets too upset about me ‘pulling the rug’ from under the hotel, I would hope that a) the hotel has some insurance for these situations and b) as the hotel is a corporate entity and not a ‘family’ business that the hotel finance director has prudently built up a reserve for difficult seasons (be it down to no snow, resort access being impaired, pandemics etc., etc)...

I would hope that families have prudently built up a reserve for difficult seasons, or just accept that the loss of a holiday is not the end of the world. As I mentioned on another thread, the costs of this pandemic have to be spread worldwide, with everyone taking a small, but possibly not insignificant, hit. If we pass it all onto travel & accommodation providers, resorts, insurers, etc then we can't complain if many of them don't even exist next season, and that prices rise significantly for those that remain.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sasha320 wrote:
Very happy for someone to direct me to a more relevant thread to ask my question...

I’m not sure what to do about my hotel booking in the now closed La Plagne.

Do I cancel now or let the booking run its course?

I spoke to the hotel who said they were open and they could honour the booking and that any cancellation fees (30% of the booking) would apply (rising to 100% of the booking in a few days’ time).

I appreciate what could be driving the hotel to hold to their T&Cs and don't particularly want to debate the rights and wrongs of the hotel’s position here.

I’m assuming that my insurance company will play dumb and suggest that the booking can theoretically be fulfilled as the hotel is open (even though everything else non-essential around the hotel is not); and that the not small matter of the pandemic and the Level 3 lockdown is irrelevant to them until the FCO declare travel to France is not recommended.

Back to my question; do I cancel now and push on with a 30% claim against my travel insurance and risk being told that as the booking can be fulfilled they won’t pay the 30%; or not cancel, hold out and hope that the FCO advise against travel to France between now and the end of the month and then claim for 100%?

I will call the insurance company tomorrow morning but interested if anyone else has a view before I do.

I’m hoping that the insurance company will encourage me to mitigate their costs and cancel the booking and then pay me the 30% as that feels like common sense.

But equally I’m not sure anyone is going to travel to France much in the next few months so I’m not sure the FCO will rule against travel to France.

Before anyone gets too upset about me ‘pulling the rug’ from under the hotel, I would hope that a) the hotel has some insurance for these situations and b) as the hotel is a corporate entity and not a ‘family’ business that the hotel finance director has prudently built up a reserve for difficult seasons (be it down to no snow, resort access being impaired, pandemics etc., etc)

The small print of my insurance does mention the FCO but isn’t explicit about the conditions that merit cancellation.

I was in a similar position to yourself. I had a hotel booked in Austria. Last Sunday I cancelled it and was told that unless they could resell the room I'd have to pay the 70% cancellation fee.

As the week moved on things detonated badly in Austria and everything got shut down The hotel emailed me to say there will be no cancellation charge and actually refunded my deposit.

None of this story is useful to you at this time other than to say things do go on in the background. In my case there must have been some local or national Austrian law that stopped the hotel from charging me a service that I couldn't possibly use. As I see it you are in the same position. The hotel claims to be open for BAU but in reality it isn't.

Hold on and don't move to quickly here. I suspect events will outpace you and I'd be amazed if you have to pay anything at all. Remember there is still EU law here and what's god in Austria should also be good in France.

Good luck
Alan

What do others think?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sasha320, Sorry, think I messed up your original post, not very good at this, here goes again

I was in a similar position to yourself. I had a hotel booked in Austria. Last Sunday I cancelled it and was told that unless they could resell the room I'd have to pay the 70% cancellation fee.

As the week moved on things detorionated badly in Austria and everything got shut down The hotel emailed me to say there will be no cancellation charge and actually refunded my deposit.

None of this story is useful to you at this time other than to say things do go on in the background. In my case there must have been some local or national Austrian law that stopped the hotel from charging me a service that I couldn't possibly use. As I see it you are in the same position. The hotel claims to be open for BAU but in reality it isn't.

Hold on and don't move to quickly here. I suspect events will outpace you and I'd be amazed if you have to pay anything at all. Remember there is still EU law here and what's good in Austria should also be good in France.

Good luck
Alan
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Twitter says a 6 p.m. curfew will be enforced in (some) major French cities from tomorrow night. The Gendarmes reserve has been called up...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sasha320, when did you speak to the hotel?

Was it before or after the French Prime Ministers announcement yesterday lunchtime/early afternoon?

As I understand it all hotels have to be closed with no guests in as of midnight tonight.

However, extensions are being given whilst TOs arrange repatriation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're also seeing postings on local French FB Groups saying that there will be a five week, national lockdown commencing on Monday or Tuesday night, with a 6 pm, army and police imposed curfew.
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:
Twitter says a 6 p.m. curfew will be enforced in (some) major French cities from tomorrow night. The Gendarmes reserve has been called up...

Yes it might just be Paris and east France in lockdown initially but things are spiraling out of control.
ski holidays
ecureuil wrote:
sasha320 wrote:
... Before anyone gets too upset about me ‘pulling the rug’ from under the hotel, I would hope that a) the hotel has some insurance for these situations and b) as the hotel is a corporate entity and not a ‘family’ business that the hotel finance director has prudently built up a reserve for difficult seasons (be it down to no snow, resort access being impaired, pandemics etc., etc)...

I would hope that families have prudently built up a reserve for difficult seasons, or just accept that the loss of a holiday is not the end of the world. As I mentioned on another thread, the costs of this pandemic have to be spread worldwide, with everyone taking a small, but possibly not insignificant, hit. If we pass it all onto travel & accommodation providers, resorts, insurers, etc then we can't complain if many of them don't even exist next season, and that prices rise significantly for those that remain.

Whilst I disagree with the above; experience tells me that no one wants the debate to be played out on here, right now. So I will say a prayer to all those who are adversely affected by the current situation and do what I can to keep my friends and family haply and healthy.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:

Yes it might just be Paris and east France in lockdown initially but things are spiraling out of control.

And I'm sh*t out of beer!
latest report
marcellus wrote:
@sasha320, when did you speak to the hotel?

Was it before or after the French Prime Ministers announcement yesterday lunchtime/early afternoon?

As I understand it all hotels have to be closed with no guests in as of midnight tonight.

However, extensions are being given whilst TOs arrange repatriation.

I believe hotels can function with room service only. But I am not sure whether closures apply in the ski resorts.
snow report
A 6pm curfew should do the trick; I read on Twitter that you can't catch Cov-19 after 6 pm.
snow report
pam w wrote:
A 6pm curfew should do the trick; I read on Twitter that you can't catch Cov-19 after 6 pm.

I agree with you Pam, the problem has been the warm weather and everyone in Paris out on the streets enjoying the sun in the parks. Doctors have been imploring Macron to do something about this.

Still the other leaders bounced Macron into holding the local elections which again, medical staff thought was a bad idea.

So no-one is blameless. It is a difficult call - go BoJo's Darwinistic route or shut the country down.

I'm not sure shutting down a lot of economic activity is the right move but earlier travel restrictions would have been a good idea. IMHO.
snow report
pam w wrote:

Laughing
People out on the streets, enjoying the sun in the parks, cats and dogs living together, you're all gonna die! Shocked
ski holidays
We were having a quiet coffee in Belle Plagne yesterday morning when the Gendarmes arrived, and ordered everything to shut down.
snow conditions
JamesHJ wrote:

While everyone was fighting over bog roll and penne, I had the free rein of the booze aisle in Leclerc, so loaded up with draught Guinness, Bushmills and Magners Smile
They didn't have Taytos, but when I'm 6 cans deep, I'm sure Lays will be just fine.
snow report
From my friends Strava yesterday.

Chamonix....you can close the lifts but you can’t shut the mountain!

Amazing number of people skinning up!

Off for some panic buying, beer and wine!

Then yes I'm going ski touring up the piste!!!
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:

While everyone was fighting over bog roll and penne, I had the free rein of the booze aisle in Leclerc, so loaded up with draught Guinness, Bushmills and Magners Smile
They didn't have Taytos, but when I'm 6 cans deep, I'm sure Lays will be just fine.

Can't beat Tayto cheese and onion
latest report
@Weathercam, i thought I have read somewhere that ski touring is, if not banned is not to be encouraged, as although the lifts are now closed, and it must be lovely for you tourers, as if there are accidents you will be diverting the emergency service from other duties.

But admit I have read so much the last few days from here in the South Downs and Chichester Harbour that I might have misread or misunderstood.
ski holidays
In the next few days go canny skinning up the pistes, the staff will be in the process of tidying up, and I can tell you it is no fun skiing down with an 8ft square protective mat that weighs over 50kgs on the end of a rope then discovering a group spread out across the piste!

The pistes are closed but the workers are still using them, there may be plenty of machines being used by the personnel as well.

On the plus side , private park laps yesterday whilst we where eating everything that was left in one of our snack bars next to the snowpark.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@timlongs, this is the Carrefour near the tunnel:
https://www.carrefour.fr/magasin/market-calais-virval
Carrefour Market Calais Virval, Route de Saint-Omer, 62100 Calais, France
What 3 words ///icicles.drifter.provide
latest report
The French government specifically asked people not to undertake adventurous activities such as ski touring or mountaineering (and the pistes are closed for the clearup).
Last time everyone ignored Macron's request for restraint and to avoid public gatherings 48hours later strict measures were brought in. If people continue to work around, and ignore the spirit of the message we can be pretty sure even more restrictive measures will be brought in. Please don't contribute to making life even more difficult for all of us.
ski holidays
Just posted on Val Thorens FB page: Due to a real risk of confinement on a national scale, we call all those still present in Val Thorens to leave the resort immediately.
snow report
Pamski wrote:
@Weathercam, i thought I have read somewhere that ski touring is, if not banned is not to be encouraged, as although the lifts are now closed, and it must be lovely for you tourers, as if there are accidents you will be diverting the emergency service from other duties.

You haven't misunderstood. And bragging about it and encouraging others to do the same on social media is even less cool.
snow report
@Pumba, @RobinS, @clarky999, well said
latest report
Any sound news on any curfew in France?

Lots of urging from Resorts etc but dismissed as fake news by a minister as reported by the local.fr.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Any sound news on any curfew in France?

Lots of urging from Resorts etc but dismissed as fake news by a minister as reported by the local.fr.

Pres. Macron will make an announcement tonight at 20h00. French medical staff are pretty much agreed in calling for a full lockdown. The chief medical officer has said the same a few hours ago.

I see the local report that it was Sibeth Ndiaye who made the fake news claim. She's the government spokesman not a minister and I wouldn't listen too much to what she says. Wait to see what is announced.

Obviously a decision for the government though who have other considerations, the politics have been to slowly ramp up measures rather than go for a big bang so I would expect further announcements tonight to limit movement.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 16-03-20 11:38; edited 3 times in total
snow report
holidayloverxx and others, nothing is completely safe.
Accidents when ski touring are uncommon.
Here in UK it has been suggested we avoid public transport and cycle to work.
Cycling is not without its risk of injury.
As are so many other activities, as was discussed in this thread.
ski holidays
Report from Radio Val D'Isere:...Seasonal staff must return to their homes if outside of the region as soon as possible before lockdown measures prevent them from travelling.
snow report
@davidof, thanks that's very useful. I'm planning on leaving 4am in the morning, hopefully it won't be in force at midnight!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@davidof, thanks that's very useful. I'm planning on leaving 4am in the morning, hopefully it won't be in force at midnight!

If you are in your car and travelling home I don't think you'll have a problem, the idea is to limit social contacts and Sibeth Ndiaye said this herself, rather than stop anyone leaving their homes to go for a stroll but the govt has been shocked about people socializing in Paris this weekend despite calls for people not to do this.

If you have some evidence for why you are travelling that might be useful.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
holidayloverxx and others, nothing is completely safe.
Accidents when ski touring are uncommon.
Here in UK it has been suggested we avoid public transport and cycle to work.
Cycling is not without its risk of injury.
As are so many other activities, as was discussed in this thread.

indeed, but if the French Govt has asked people not to do it then they should not do it
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy