Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Our Morzine hotel cancelled our stay this evening. Thoughts are with all the businesses who’ll suffer as a result of this. We’ll be going back in the summer to put a few quid into the economy.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Moving it on. Anyone know any underground parties in the Alpes in the next week. If we’re going to be stuck here, may as well enjoy ourselves.
(Half in jest).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val Thorens has shut for the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val d’Isere has just said they will “probably” be closed tomorrow, Tignes has said it will be closed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
efsefs wrote:
Moving it on. Anyone know any underground parties in the Alpes in the next week. If we’re going to be stuck here, may as well enjoy ourselves.
(Half in jest).

I don’t think the bars will risk it..... but there are some “drink us dry” parties raging for the next 35mimutes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm sitting here watching piste bashers going past my window, laying down some lovely piste for tomorrow ....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They are so beautiful, seeing them up on the hill getting ready for tomorrow.... oh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thankfully Austria made their decision on Thursday so I had no last minute panic over a today departure but I was already very twitchy. Shame as conditions in Lech looked perfect.

A good shout out to Ski Total who responded promptly on Friday and said that hopefully money will be returned in 14 days.

Best of luck to those who arrived in France today.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Getting very silly now..... Another 15 mins, it's like New Year's
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In accordance with French Government instructions all french ski resorts and associated commercial activities are closed from midnight tonight.

It seems most resorts will continue to provide transport (buses, funicular etc) tomorrow in order to enable people to leave as soon as possible.

This is just the kind of catastrophe the ski industry could do without at the moment...

Wash your hands and keep safe until next season....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LeSki trying to push us down the insurance route.... err No chance. You need to refund in full. Sorry but as hard as this is you have cancelled the holiday so do the honourable thing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

LeSki trying to push us down the insurance route.

unfortunately thats what 'Force Majeur' clauses are all about...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And Val d’Isere is done:

[INFO COVID-19]
Suite à l'allocution du Premier Ministre, la station sera probablement contrainte de fermer demain matin, et jusqu'à la fin de la saison.
-
Following Prime Minister speech, the resort will probably close tomorrow morning, until the end of the season.
#valdisere
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was due to drive to La Plagne tomorrow. Just got news hotel closed and that as they say is that. Never even got to put a pair of skis on this season. First time in over 30 years.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Question is will the FCO change their travel advice for France so insurance will allow a claim?
ski holidays
araird wrote:
Quote:

LeSki trying to push us down the insurance route.

unfortunately thats what 'Force Majeur' clauses are all about...

Will be interesting then... if not then credit card route.
snow report
Does anyone know whether hotels will now be obliged to offer refunds (we were staying in Les Gets next week) given that resorts have been forced to lock down or whether the insurance route is the most viable option?
ski holidays
I am personally seeking the insurance route first. I have already been offered a refund, or rebook for next year. But, I feel it is my duty to try and claim on my insurance. The landlady in question is independent, and I am sure will be hit hard by the crisis. I think we should try and protect the local businesses.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 15-03-20 0:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Not unexpected, but disappointing as the resorts made such a bold statement of intent about staying open just hours before.
Going to be lots of disappointed people who travelled today on the strength of the statement yesterday.
latest report
Handy Turnip wrote:
Not unexpected, but disappointing as the resorts made such a bold statement of intent about staying open just hours before.
Going to be lots of disappointed people who travelled today on the strength of the statement yesterday.

Unfortunately the latest stats show 50% of covid-19 cases in ICUs in France are people under age 60 which probably was the factor that forced their hand.
ski holidays
We've just stumped up a considerable sum for flights back tomorrow and last minute transfer to Geneva.

It is really frustrating that the decisions couldn't have been made yesterday, as most other EU ski countries did. Whilst I am very disappointed, I feel much worse for the little girl who was sat in front of me on the plane out here who was going on and on about how much she was looking forward to her first skiing lesson in the mountains. I also feel very sorry for the people whose jobs will likely disappear now. And finally, I think it's brought home to me just how serious this virus is turning out to be.
ski holidays
@milzibkit, that’s a good post. No one wins today - were all sharing the pain.
snow report
JackSkier wrote:
I am personally seeking the insurance route first. I have already been offered a refund, or rebook for next year. But, I feel it is my duty to try and claim on my insurance. The landlady in question is independent, and I am sure will be hit hard by the crisis. I think we should try and protect the local businesses.

Have you checked that your insurance doesn't expect you to try to recover costs by other routes first? Mine certainly does.
snow conditions
I travelled to Tignes today. The Eurostar was fairly full, so lots of disappointed people in resort. Obviously we were aware that the resort could close but given the earlier statements I was really hoping we would at least get 1 day skiing.

We’re making the most of a bad situation - the Tignes statement says there is no rush to leave, so we’re playing board games for a couple of days then flying back midweek.
ski holidays
the French are furious, "a government of amateurs" couldn't Macron have announced this on Thursday instead of waffling about nothing for 25 minutes.
latest report
Well that's it folks.

News started coming through about 20:00 so immediately changed my return flight to tomorrow.

Crazy here in chamonix. People partied till midnight then that was it.

Seasonal staff with nowhere to turn.

We are all in this together. Please look out for each other.
snow report
There are no words. Just hugged a number of business owners who know they are going to fold.

Gendarmes strutting round closing bars. Spookily the bar owned by a local councillor still serving 30 mins after lockdpwn6.

No words.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Sad Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived in Morzine about midnight, transfer back to Geneva 12.20 tomorrow (well, later today).

I'm down by...the original home flight, the new flight, the accomodation, a week of morning lessons, a day's guiding and the return transfer.

God knows if I'll get any of this money back, but I'd rather be home than by myself in a resort with no lifts and no restaurants
snow conditions
We are living in uncharted times. So many people will be affected. Stay safe, help others and hopefully we get back to normality some time soon.
ski holidays
And we thought Brexit was going to be bad for the ski industry. That looks like nothing compared to this.
ski holidays
Obviously Serre Chevalier has joined the sinking ship, sad days here........
Ah well, there's still ski touring............ Very Happy
latest report
We got back yesterday from Les Arcs, there was no hint of closure,
wishing everyone a safe trip back and hope you get all your money refunded
Wishing all local businesses well and hope they all get the support they need, feel sad for everyone missing their ski hols now this season
snow report
From LaPlagne ⚠️ OF Station close ⚠️
Following the speech of the Prime Minister this Saturday, March 14th and the evolution of the health situation, La Plagne announces the closure of its entire ski area this Sunday, March 15th. This decision is made in consultation with the PMIS (Union Intercommunal de la Grande Plagne) and the communes of La Plagne Tarentaise, Love La Plagne and Champagny en Vanoise.
Guests are invited to leave the station; for this, return solutions are being studied to ensure the return of holiday or train guests in the best conditions.
The municipality offers restaurants to dedicate their stock to "take-away" sales to ensure a return of customers in good conditions.
For any commercial or practical questions regarding the cancellation of your stay, we invite you to contact the providers concerned directly, and check our page https://www.la-plagne.com/information-coronavirus, which will be updated regularly.
We also remind you that the instructions to follow are available on https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus
Let's protect each other, be safe and take care of yourself!
snow report
JackSkier wrote:

chocksaway wrote:
There are no words. Just hugged a number of business owners who know they are going to fold.

Thank you both for thinking of the small business owners first. Very Happy

Please, please everyone, try your insurance company first. Yes, they will try to wriggle out of it, that’s what they do but if you are covered on your policy, please push them and not the small business owners.

Whilst you guys are all in a horrible position and stand to lose your ski holiday and possibly money, please remember that a number of us are now facing the very real possibility that we will lose our business, our livelihoods and the roof over our heads. Sad

Hounding your insurance company will be a massive, massive help to us.
snow conditions
KenX wrote:
Obviously Serre Chevalier has joined the sinking ship, sad days here........
Ah well, there's still ski touring............ Very Happy

Please consider the extra strain on the hospitals and other emergency services if you injure yourself.
latest report
Wow what a party !

And can see perfectly groomed pistes in front of me so looks like we'll be out with the dogs skinning up once this hangover (or is it something else) has eased
snow report
My business folded last week. My.ski holiday went this week

But I'm not on a ventilator in a hospital or worrying.about an elderly relative who is.

Maybe we should stop the posts about money. It all seems a bit bad taste.....
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, I am so sorry to hear that - hugs Sad Yes, you are right, saving lives is what this is all about.
ski holidays
From what I can see, the number of cases in Italy needs to start coming down based on the measures they took last weekend. At the moment..... they are still increasing at the same steady rate. There's no doubt that decisive and effective action - early or at least at some stage is required to slow the transmission.
Italy total cases:
100 on the 23 Feb
1000 by the 29th Feb
10000 by the 10th Mar
In Spain total cases look worse to me. Their numbers are increasing at an even faster rate than then Italy. The slope is steeper.
100 on 2nd March
1000 on the 9th March
Probably passing a 10,000 today or tomorrow.
As @BobinCH said on another post - South Korea did a great job getting their numbers under control.
So there's no doubt that all control measures are required and justified in all locations where transmission is taking place.
data source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy