Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Jonpim wrote:
Friend in Tignes, seasonaire, runs a chalet, just told us that Tignes has released a statement that resort will stay open until May 5th, with no plans to close early.

Flights to Geneva and airbnb booked in Val D for Wednesday 18th - fingers crossed!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'Skiers are all quite young a[nd] fit.'

Apart from being untrue, that's not the issue. Neither is building Herd Immunity. The problem is to avoid the China-like peak that would overwhelm the NHS (or equivalent abroad). 3 out of 4 UK Intensive Care beds are occupied in the normal course of events, in part because Austerity has meant that we now have only ¼ of the IC beds, pro rata, to other advanced economies like Germany. And more importantly, corresponding expert IC teams.

People will still have car accidents; fall down the stairs; be hit by cars; fall off their bikes'; fall sick from all the other diseases we're prone to; etc. And a good proportion of those will be 'young and fit'. And find that thanks to the coronavirus, they can't get an IC bed. Or treatment. Or a GP appointment.

So let's not be complacent: we're all in this together, and we can all do something to moderate the epidemic's effects.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cocorico and Doudoune closed after today..Tignes Val dIsere
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
LaForet wrote:
'Skiers are all quite young a[nd] fit.'

Apart from being untrue, that's not the issue. Neither is building Herd Immunity. The problem is to avoid the China-like peak that would overwhelm the NHS (or equivalent abroad). 3 out of 4 UK Intensive Care beds are occupied in the normal course of events, in part because Austerity has meant that we now have only ¼ of the IC beds, pro rata, to other advanced economies like Germany. And more importantly, corresponding expert IC teams.

People will still have car accidents; fall down the stairs; be hit by cars; fall off their bikes'; fall sick from all the other diseases we're prone to; etc. And a good proportion of those will be 'young and fit'. And find that thanks to the coronavirus, they can't get an IC bed. Or treatment. Or a GP appointment.

So let's not be complacent: we're all in this together, and we can all do something to moderate the epidemic's effects.

There is no complacency in my post. There is going to be no avoiding the effects of this virus. We cannot indefinitely sustain draconian measures. We are not China. When they are lifted, the virus will come back in force. Herd immunity is the only way this will be solved, and the UK policy will reduce the long term damage by limiting exposure as much as possible to the vulnerable. The majority of the population will be infected whatever we do. Futher measures will be enacted over time to reduce the impact on the NHS, as and when they are most useful and efficient. Try to separate your dislike of the Tories from the policy enacted. It is clearly not Bojo's policy as it is far far too intelligent. I, for one, am glad that we are following the advice of scientists rather than public opinion (despite the U turn on public gatherings we are seeing today).

I am sorry to be so blunt, but the fact is is that this virus is poo-poo. Whilst China etc. appear to have contained it, they have in fact only hit the pause button.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 14-03-20 18:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The French resorts are staying open, for now.

Corona roulette.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Herd immunity is the only way this will be solved

Wrong.

Totally Wrong.

Common Cold?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Wrong.

Totally Wrong.

Common Cold?

So you are saying that the UK's leading scientists are wrong? Evidence?

I raise you the Flu, Measles etc. vaccination works by achieving herd immunity. Certainly, the virus could mutate. In that case, we are all Be Nice please!, no matter what happens.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, we're quite keen for the station to close, and you can probably guess why.....

Vive la République, Vive la France et Vive le Ski Randonnée Laughing

Why not go and ski tour somewhere else? There is nothing worse than plodding around ski resorts on touring skis. Go up to the Lauteret or into the Oisans.

Because those areas will be full of Grenoblois and Lyonnais all supposedly self-isolating whilst not at work Laughing

And here we when the resort is closed, as we did mid-Nov onwards through to when the resort actually opened we had some great touring Cool

And being kind to others, I've promised a few friends to take them touring in resort where they will feel more confident.

Plus resort closed will hopefully mean not too many people full stop, but that I doubt.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I work in a small resort in the Pyrenees and we close tomorrow night after directive de conseil administratif so imagine there will be a lot of stations doing the same now. Just found out as we came down this evening.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Herd immunity by vaccination is a lot safer than herd immunity by infection, the route we have taken condemns the weakest to death, it seems a very risky game, if it goes wrong and mutates you could lose the whole herd
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Herd immunity by vaccination is a lot safer than herd immunity by infection

Indeed, and if we had a vaccine, that would be spiffing. NOBODY is saying the weakest can go to the wall. Anybody who is vulnerable and seriously worried has the option to self-isolate. What else would help protect us, other than trying to flatten out the spike to optimise access to health services?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I seem to be one of the few who think French ski resorts are probably doing the right thing by not panicking. Gondolas and perhaps lift queues are the main contagion risk, so it is best not to spend too high a proportion of your time in them (and don't pull the hood down on chair lifts). But in many places there aren't alternative routes.

The problem is that leaders want to be seen to be doing something, anything, a kind of machismo. In the case of Trump the machismo started with saying that Americans' constitutions would easily stand up to the pesky Chinese virus, and then switched to trying to out-do the Chinese and Italian restrictions.

Both Johnson and Macron seem currently to be taking the advice of their experts, but for how much longer? As hard information emerges it seems to be more and more likely that Covid-19 has about the same severity as normal flu, it is just that the lack of prior immunity (even partial) makes it spread quicker and hit the vulnerable harder. The unknown to me – but presumably known to public health officials from previous contact tracing – is whether children act as significant spreaders of the virus. If not, then given how mildly they are affected it makes sense to keep schools open. They can surely estimate how big a hit to NHS capacity would be caused by forcing working parents to stay at home with kids.

The surprise to me is that there hasn't been stronger advice on protecting those vulnerable through pre-existing health problems. Creating a significant barrier to them getting infected would have a big impact at both a personal and a health service level.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

What else would help protect us, other than trying to flatten out the spike to optimise access to health services?

Most countries appear to be trying to do this - but not the UK.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JackSkier wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Wrong.

Totally Wrong.

Common Cold?

So you are saying that the UK's leading scientists are wrong? Evidence?

To turn that question round - what evidence do we have that the uk scientists have got this right (and everyone else is so wrong) - interesting article in the guardian summarises this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/13/why-is-the-government-relying-on-nudge-theory-to-tackle-coronavirus
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobinS wrote:
Quote:

What else would help protect us, other than trying to flatten out the spike to optimise access to health services?

I see the UK action as the opposite (in other words MORE effective), mathematically, "seeding" smaller centres of incidence could more effectively deplete the total numbers prior to it reaching exponential growth of any one location.

As opposed to China model with more singular epicentre, as it gets geographically larger then the exponential growth easily outruns care provision.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, Probably because they hold more than a 100 (and are backed by a very wealthy company). But given its Pride Week that will be a big hit. But if we sty open for a couple more weeks it will help prevent some of the local business going under.
snow report
RobinS wrote:
Quote:

That's exactly what the UK government is trying to do, delay the peak infection rate and flatten the spike, primarily to minimise the pressure on the health service.
ski holidays
We’re all set, up at 4am to travel to La Tania. Going to be a very odd few days, such a strange feeling when normally I’m buzzing. Hoping we get a good few days at least
ski holidays
France officially in Level 3 tonight, total lockdown

i. bars, restaurants, discos, cinemas to close
ii. mosques and churches to remain open
iii. all shops to shut apart from: petrol stations, food shops and tobacconists
iv. people to stay at home if possible and not to visit other towns
v. public transport only to be used to go to work, people should only go to work if absolutely essential
vi. people should remain at home except for essential food shopping, no activities that risk hospitalization to avoid overloading the health service
vii. tomorrow's elections to go ahead
viii. borders remain open
ix. over 70s to avoid any social contact.

to be applied from midnight tonight

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 14-03-20 20:01; edited 3 times in total
latest report
Oh no. I was planning on leaving tonight, on the assumption of ski touring. Looks like that idea is burnt.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
RobinS wrote:
Quote:

That's exactly what the UK government is trying to do, delay the peak infection rate and flatten the spike, primarily to minimise the pressure on the health service.

Many think there has been a huge lack of action early on to achieve this tho, all countries are trying to achieve the same thing and it seems like everyone bar us have been taking more decisive steps, earlier.
The proof in the pudding will be the death rate in a few weeks time compared to our neighbors that have taken a different path.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 14-03-20 20:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Imagine being on a bus on the last leg to a resort - having travelled for 14hours so far....
oh. That’s me!
snow conditions
So feckin hot of the press!

All bars restos in France closed from midnight.

Drinks on the house in the bar !

Not so sure about lifts ??
ski holidays
Should add where we're drinking the owner is also top honcho of Serre Che ESF
ski holidays
@davidof, I have no doubts about what you say - but do you have an official source so I can quote it to sceptics?
ski holidays
France orders non-essential public places to close https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51892477

That’s it then
latest report
RobinS wrote:
@davidof, I have no doubts about what you say - but do you have an official source so I can quote it to sceptics?

yes, me. Happy

I'm sure someone will post links .

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 14-03-20 20:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
RobinS wrote:

Just look at the website of any French newspaper or turn on the TV.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RobinS, not sure if the Guardian quite counts as an official source https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-live-updates-uk-us-australia-italy-europe-school-shutdown-sport-events-cancelled-latest-update-news
ski holidays
Perhaps dont do as happened in Belgium where a number of bars held "lock in" parties the night the ban was introduced!
snow report
Feck this is going to be a night to remember.......

Now all the ESF dudes are coming here to see what's going on as the Chief is here, but lifts have to close as well.

Booze flowing, think I'll leave the van here
snow report
@munich_irish, too late Very Happy
ski holidays
UK Has.had.the biggest increase of all today.
Ex head of public health going ballistic on C4.news calling for.Boris' head.
Expect the uk to close.schools andnnon essential places.withinthe week.
latest report
So the only exemptions are religion and elections.....
snow report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51892477

I think the end of the season is near for France as well!
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
So the only exemptions are religion and elections.....

more or less, but there won't be a policeman on every street corner

letting the elections (2 rounds) go ahead is a serious error. Macron was against but other political leaders forced his hand. It is after elections that Iran's infections took off I believe. Old people love elections. I'm staying at home and not voting.
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, Surely he would be better calling for the heads of PHE etc? A Prime Minister is only as good as his advice.

Given the trajectories of all other nations have been similar getting overtly political is not going to help.
latest report
Let’s hope uk government declare against travel to France, otherwise I’m in the worst case scenario of no holiday but no travel insurance payout

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 14-03-20 20:20; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Feck! Just drove over to Menuires from Morillon too, thinking there was no way they could give so little notice Sad
snow report
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-51892477
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy