Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Rando-chiens!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
French police arrest sunbathing sex doll

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
France now to quarantine travellers arriving from Spain

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200515/france-to-quarantine-travellers-arriving-from-spain

France will impose quarantine on travellers arriving from Spain in a reciprocal measure after Madrid decided to restrict arrivals from Europe's Schengen zone, a presidential official said on Thursday.

Spain said on Tuesday it would from Friday impose a 14-day quarantine period on all travellers to avoid importing new virus cases.

"France will impose a 14-day quarantine from the moment Spain imposes the measure, based on the principle of reciprocity," a presidential official said.

And reading between the lines possibly, would not be surprised if Boris does a U-turn on France and quarantine will be reintroduced for travel into the UK rolling eyes

Walking around this week some of the big chalets where people were doing the confinement are now closed up as people have gone back to their cities thinking must now all be ok?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe not generally realised that there's quiet a significantly sized French community within London, near and around Earls Court. Routine travel between the two capitals may have significant influence over these travelling restrictions for that community which I'm sure would lobby for the freedom of movement.

Significantly, they even have a polling station for French elections arranged there indicating the influence it holds.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:

And reading between the lines possibly, would not be surprised if Boris does a U-turn on France and quarantine will be reintroduced for travel into the UK rolling eyes

Where did you pick that up from? My reading of that link didn't give me that impression.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TGV Services being advertised for summer holidays today on Mont Blanc radio,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I live in hope that a self drive august trip will still be possible
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A friend of mine has just driven from London to France (with appropriate reason). The border control at the tunnel apparently consisted of "you have a home in France? ok, you go". No detailed questioning, paperwork etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Money talks. The French want the brit tourists.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I live in hope that a self drive august trip will still be possible

Sounds reasonable to me. I'd be planning the same if I still had an apartment in France.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Someone I know drove from Nice to La Manga in Spain last week. A crazy American with homes in both. She got turned back at 3 border crossings before crossing somewhere in the Pyrenees Shocked Next time she got stopped she was so far into Spain they let her continue.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ringingmaster wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Where did you pick that up from? My reading of that link didn't give me that impression.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8322363/Coronavirus-UK-France-WONT-exempted-14-day-isolation-rules.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BergenBergen, yes I was too embarrassed to say the OH told me as she reads Mail Online Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have until 13th July before I have to cancel all my bookings - I'm hoping the situation will be clearer then.

Mind you, my Plan B of Cornwall in the van looking not much better with the Cornwall Anti-Tourist boards
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
According to this article cafes and bars could open in just over 2 weeks

https://www.sortiraparis.com/actualites/a-paris/articles/215579-reouverture-des-restaurants-et-cafes-envisagee-des-le-2-juin-dans-les-departemen
snow report
Seems the Daily Fail was right - 14 day quarantine coming from France, unless you buy yourself a lorry and a load of cabbages.
ski holidays
@pam w, yes indeed, not just the Daily Mail

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52682411
snow conditions
Now you see it, now you don't. Something different on Tuesday?
ski holidays
This government is full of stuttering fool’s
latest report
[img]https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p640x640/97998998_10158737979657174_5635465668989026304_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_oc=AQkyGezimJMYLFY-oBuBm19zwXBUUnLFYk0h8TJfsK2DcDvgeyVq_jF4GbyvSWil-vL-dusDNG8cFZqYTQBQyAaI&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=1d6a6c109be774ebaeaa2bdf20ed1dd3&oe=5EE6A4A8[/img]

The zoo reopend today.
ski holidays
Well, we’ve got to shut up here and head back to the UK on Thursday. The two of us, a cat and a dog in a French registered camper van. What could possibly go wrong ???
latest report
..... we’ll keep you posted
snow report
Bon voyage, les gars snowHead
snow conditions
- out for my morning run round Chamonix, well, lunchtime run, and picking up some skis later, folks appropriated bar tables to drink wine bought next door and at least one cafe with a terrace full of people drinking beer bought for takeaaway.

Yes, lockdown holding up well.
ski holidays
@under a new name,

What did you buy?
ski holidays
@zzz, Sophie got some Elan Ripstick 94s for touring! No bindings yet, nor boots. Also they are apparently much more fun than the green ones we played with. Anyhoo step in good direction. (She got skins too).

I do not need any more skis quite yet wink
ski holidays
Hmmm, interesting choice.
snow conditions
Quote:

Bon voyage, les gars

Thanks@pam w,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, mate's wife uses the same!

@gvj, keep us all posted, out on the bike yesterday saw three non 05 campers coming done (over) from the Lautaret, suspect that they would not have been going back for the evening, also did not see one Plod vehicle, and a couple of the popular walking parking areas were quite busy with cars parked up, and this is with at best dodgy weather!
snow report
@gvj, we drove back to the uk from Les Menuires last Tuesday. Easy drive, 12 and a half hours door to door. Almost all petrol stations and toilets open though most shops closed. A little quiz from uk borders and then on to the once-an-hour eurotunnel service. For once, the M20 and M25 were almost deserted. Good luck!
snow conditions
@zzz, limited choice. The Black Crows had gone fast. The Elans or VTAs only choice and even the VTAs were a bit short.

There was a bit of an opinion that they’d be easier coming down in crud/soup and perfect for that 30seconds of powder that you get once a year.

@Weathercam, she likes them, I take it? zzz’s comment based that we’d both tried the non-Ws 96 a couple of years back and were totally underwhelmed. Apparently the W’s is a totally different construction and, bizarrely, skis much better. Anyway, they only have to serve the purpose of getting her out for the “Up”.
latest report
@andy1234, @Weathercam, @davidof, or anyone. Can't seem to find anything currently that states we still have to carry any form of "attestation" with us for travel from France to the UK now. The travel forms on the French government websites only seem to relate to coming into France or going to the overseas territories - or am I missing something ?
ski holidays
@gvj,
There is a form for travelling back to UK if you search
latest report
@stewart woodward, oh really? "search" eh, hmm, never thought of that. Must try it sometime........................................
snow conditions
@gvj,
If you want to send me a pm with your email address I will forward you a copy.

If you just want to be smart don't bother.
ski holidays
Travelled back from Val d'Isere to the UK over the weekend. Didn't experience any issues. We did carry an attestation but was never needed.

I completed the electronic one here:

https://media.interieur.gouv.fr/deplacement-vers-france-covid-19/

Selected "National of the European Union and assimilated" and then "People transiting through France to reach their residence, as well as their spouses and children".
snow conditions
So....@sno trax, Thanks, but your link is actually for the document for people travelling into France. I don't think there's one for people intending to travel to the UK.
@stewart woodward, Thanks too for your link, but your one's for French citizens travelling over 100km from home.
So far, all I've seen was advice from the British embassy during the full lockdown phase saying to carry proof of your Channel crossing and British citizenship.
Unless anyone else really does know any better I'm assuming that’ll have to do.
ski holidays
@gvj, there was a suggestion previously that if you are returning to your home in the UK then you should write on the deplacement statement as follows: Je rentre chez moi au Royaume-Uni.

We did that but didn't need it as we didn't see any police all the way from Savoie to the tunnel.
ski holidays
@gvj, agreed but it was the best fit I could find and the 'People transiting through France to reach their residence' seemed to make sense. We used our UK address on the form. They wouldn't actually know where you started your journey.

As @andy1234, said we did think of writing similar but as we completed the electronic version, we didn't bother. We stopped overnight in Dijon and visited a few DIY stores whilst we were there before heading off.

There are no restrictions to leave France and so nothing required at Eurotunnel; although UK borders were stopping everyone for checks but nothing to be concerned about. A cursory glance in the boot by them to be greeted by a slobbering dog Laughing All fairly painless as took less than 50 mins from arrival to actual departure, including the pet reception procedure. BTW the main Pet Reception Centre in closed and so you need to use the overnight one (which ironically closes overnight at the moment).

My view was to make an effort to comply with something in case you were stopped but thought it was going to be unlikely. How would they know you were outside your 100km zone.

Safe travels.
ski holidays
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/societe/enorme-affluence-en-chartreuse-le-maire-d-entremont-oblige-de-fermer-une-route-d-acces-aux-1590081163?fbclid=IwAR1shmkoA-gfMTtsA0XlteHJN0K1kF-vkPhy_pl9bteTLbv2RkdemtIX7-k

Absolutely fine here none/very few visitors. But I hiked up to Lac du Lauvitel on Tuesday. First time out of 2 Alpes since 16th March. There were several cars in the car park and several people about on the hiking paths and by the lake. But not that many tbh. I'm hearing though that yesterday it was heaving. A fairly easy family hike with a great vista at the top so very popular.

I need to do a raid on Decathlon. Thinking Briançon rather than braving Espace Comboire in Grenoble. Nicer drive too. Is it fairly quiet over there?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy