Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Tyrol closed from this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
@clarky999, oh what! That’s gonna make life very difficult coz we have a local shop but it hardly sells anything we eat. Normally buy food in Hall or Neu Rum where the big shops are. Do we really have to stay in the village?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Received an email from the Adler Resort hotel in Hinterglemm today saying that they are hoping to reopen on 20th May. Interesting to see if this happens.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A bit odd seeing what is going on in the Tirol and then looking at the UK where folk are still going to the pub and gym etc!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet wrote:
@clarky999, oh what! That’s gonna make life very difficult coz we have a local shop but it hardly sells anything we eat. Normally buy food in Hall or Neu Rum where the big shops are. Do we really have to stay in the village?

I suppose you might have to eat what you can get.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@holidayloverxx, thanks, that makes me feel much better.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, aw...didn't mean it nasty...but that may be the reality for all of us
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

I suppose you might have to eat what you can get.

This might help?

https://blog.innsbruck.info/en/food-drink/innsbruck-food-grocery-delivery-services/

Otherwise I'm not sure exactly how it works for you. Which Gemeinde exactly are you? Part of a bigger gemeinde like Hall or even Rum or Innsbruck? If so you will still be fine going to other shops in that Gemeinde.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, I'll text you later, otherwise I get a bit too easy to locate wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think discussion like this about what, exactly, "quarantine" means is very interesting and important. Please keep telling us about your experiences.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The current quarantine border in Flachau is around 2km from me. I am quarantined due to a case at work, which has since become 6 cases at work. I'm at home finding ways to fill my time and getting regular messages from friends, relatives and colleagues. The sun is shining, the mountains look glorious, children are playing in their gardens, music from balconies, I can think of many worse situations to be in right now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, in Austria most Gemeinde (village or town) have a doctor, pharmacy, bank, post office and shop, and a Gemeindeamt (local council office) which administers the area. This means that in theory you can get everything you need without leaving the boundary, and so that is the new rule that has been brought in.

Up to now, I hadn't been too concerned about provisioning because it was ok to drive to the bigger supermarkets on the main road (we would normally start at Lidl, then fill any gaps from the Hofer (Aldi) next door, then drive a few mins to the big Spar for any more exotic or branded goods). The village store has always been very quiet and we only really use it for emergency top-ups, which I think is what everyone else does too. Suddenly they are going to have to serve the whole population with their meagre selection, and no-one will be happy because it costs twice as much Confused

Supermarket deliveries are not a thing in Austria, so that's not an option, unfortunately.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, Billa delivers!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@queenie pretty please, Not to quarantined areas Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, oh you mean if the local Billa is outside the area. Damn.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, If it's anything like our UK supermarkets its a waste of time going anyway, nothing left on the shelves. it never ceases to amaze me the wanton greed of some people, don't know what they must be doing with it all......probably they are sat there watching Netflix, Cash in the Attic, Come Dine with me etc, guzzling on huge bags of pringles, full-fat doritos and Coke Zero moaning about having to look after their own kids, and also having to walk their own dogs rolling eyes
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, The only shops here are MPreis. Billa is in the city, but there's a notice on the website that they won't deliver to quarantined areas, which now includes us. I've never been in one anyway tbh, so not sure how it would align with my shopping list.
latest report
@Scarlet, MPreis is good, wish we had them in UK
snow report
@Markymark29, MPreis was last merchandised in about 1988. It stocks nothing of interest, costs more than everywhere else, the fresh produce is often manky and only includes the most basic of items. The majority of the time, their hundreds of stores are empty of customers, leading us to wonder how exactly they stay in business.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, it’s good in St Anton, only one I’ve ever been in. I try avoid all supermarkets tbph....I can do a quick run around shop in our Sainsbugs in 10 mins in normal times, then takes 20-30 mins to get through till area. Not my idea of fun.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@queenie pretty please, The only shops here are MPreis. Billa is in the city, but there's a notice on the website that they won't deliver to quarantined areas, which now includes us. I've never been in one anyway tbh, so not sure how it would align with my shopping list.

Technically everywhere in Tirol is now in quarantine, so it might just be they haven''t got round to updating the website. It is Austria after all wink

As I understand farmers and the Markthalle can and will deliver (check the blog link I posted earlier).

Otherwise in the case that your local shop is out of stock, you are allowed to go to the next gemeinde to shop. Not sure how literal they will be regarding what out of stock means, but the police seem to have been instructed to be fairly tolerant...
snow report
Quote:

guzzling on huge bags of pringles, full-fat doritos and Coke Zero

There was plenty of all that stuff in our local Co-op last evening. Masses of chocolate, fizzy pop, crisps (including lots of special offers). Whatever else, I don't think you can accuse people of stocking up on high sugar junk food.

Generally in the UK small local shops seem to be doing better than the big supermarkets. Perhaps in Austria too the shops like Scarlet describes will become far more important, and will be able to respond to increased demand. Clearly the Austrian government is not going to let everyone in "quarantined" areas starve, so stocks will be coming in, one way and another. Of course people can't rely on getting everything on their "usual shopping list". The expect that would be totally unreasonable.
latest report
Quarantined Gemeindes all seem to have delivery services, check your Gemeinde website. There was a bit of panic buying here last Friday apparently, but didn't seem to persist.

I'm a big fan of Billa. Not a fan of Lidl, but maybe because ours is small and I couldn't do a whole shop there. MPreis is OK, but not as nice as Billa.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, I know there's a Billa in town, but there isn't one on any of the industrial estates where we normally go so I've not discovered it. Never used Lidl/Aldi before we moved out here, but I find them to be fine for most things – not too expensive and the veg selection is good, and I quite like the randomness of the specials aisle. I have a bit of a thing for Lidl granola, which is far superior to everyone else's! I also read that Metro (which I understand to be a bit like Costco) are opening their doors to non-cardholders for a little while, so that would be another option if we can get as far as the main road.

As for what we can get off the list, I shall update with the results next time we go shopping (probably Monday).

I saw on social media an explanation of the reason for the difference in rules in Tirol compared to the rest of Austria. It was written in Tirolean dialect, so I can't give an exact translation (!), but the gist of it was something like:
Why does Kurz say it's ok to go for a walk, but Platter [Tirol gov] says it isn't?
Because when a Tirolean says they “are just popping out for a stroll” they will bag seven summits! Laughing
And there is definitely some truth in that.
snow report
@Scarlet, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Today's update on timings: nationwide measures are extended to Easter Monday (13th April), but local quarantine measures can be lifted before then (currently 5th April, I think) but that is up to the Tirol gov. Apparently the infection rate is down this morning (still new infections, but a smaller percentage growth) so that is good news at least.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 20-03-20 18:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
MPreis is Lidl isn't it? Or at least shares brands (or maybe that's with Aldi).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 20-03-20 12:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, nope. MPreis is a local Tirol invention. Are you getting confused that Hofer is Aldi?
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, no. family business
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.politico.eu/article/the-austrian-ski-town-that-spread-coronavirus-across-the-continent/
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@queenie pretty please, I also read that Metro (which I understand to be a bit like Costco) are opening their doors to non-cardholders for a little while,

Metro is called Makro in the UK. Similar to Costco in that you (normally) need a card but has a far bigger range than Costco. (Or did, haven't been in either Makro or Metro for decades...)
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, nope. MPreis is a local Tirol invention. Are you getting confused that Hofer is Aldi?

I'd swear I've seen some of the Lidl/Aldi brands like Crivet/Crane Sports, Cien/Lacura etc in MPreis which was where I'd drawn the association
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, probably just your Alzheimer's. MPreis are not privy to the random sporting goods selection of the German discounters, so is it possible you were in a different shop? Laughing
snow report
MPreis and T&G belong to the same group.

Billa, Merkur, Penny, Bipa, ADEG, Libro belong to the same group.
latest report
Quote:
Today's update on timings: nationwide measures are extended to Easter Monday (13th April), but local quarantine measures can be lifted before then (currently 5th April, I think) but that is up to the Tirol gov. Apparently the infection rate is down this morning (still new infections, but a smaller percentage growth) so that is good news at least.

Tirol quarantine also extended to 13th April Sad
snow conditions
Update on the shopping situation:

We decided to use the larger supermarket on the edge of the next village, about 10 min walk away. To minimise exposure and number of people in the shop, N went on ahead to do the shopping and sent me a message when he was almost done and I walked over to help him carry it home. We had been self-isolating after a trip to St Anton a couple of weeks ago, so our supplies were running low and there was a lot to carry.

His verdict: “biggest and best selection of fruit and veg that shop has ever had!” which was a pleasant surprise. Even had loo roll (which we limited to just one pack because it doesn't taste very nice and is quite poor for nutrition). The only things we couldn't get were mange tout, garlic powder and fresh fish, none of which were particularly important so that was a nice surprise too.

The thing that wasn't a nice surprise: 145€ bill Shocked Shocked which is almost double our usual spend, AND that's without any beer or wine (which we do need, but can get from the corner shop when we don't have 4 bags of food to carry).

So overall not too bad, and we're obviously not eating out at the moment so the bill is manageable.
ski holidays
Quote:

almost double our usual spend

Hopefully that was because your shopping bag was twice the normal size, not because the shop has ramped up prices?
ski holidays
@Scarlet, sounds familiar, the amount of money saved by not going to the pub more than pays for the extra food shopping! A few vaguely positive bits of news from both Germany and Austria this morning, maybe a false dawn, we shall have to wait and see.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

almost double our usual spend

Hopefully that was because your shopping bag was twice the normal size, not because the shop has ramped up prices?

A little but not much. And we'd normally have at least one bottle of wine in there, but not today. It's a shop brand we don't normally use, and one reason for that it because it's expensive (the other is that it's usually poorly stocked, but at least they've sorted that out). Also the pack sizes of some items were noticeably smaller that I can usually get Confused
snow report
@munich_irish, Yes indeed. More numbers required, I think. At least around here there is no sign of the crowds or mass descent on supermarkets that I'm seeing on news from the UK.
snow conditions
Seems like a lot of restrictions will be lifted here (Tyrol) from tonight... For example will be allowed to go running again. It *SEEMS* (ie please don't take my word for it) that technically skitouring and MTB will no longer be prohibited either - though it's still asked that people don't go (again, SEEMS).

The Austrian-wide social distancing restrictions will still apply though.

Small shops under 400m2 will be able to open from mid-April. Other shops and businesses (eg hairdressers) allowed to open from May.

No word yet on when the borders will be opened though.

More info: https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus

Quote:

Sehr viele würden sich heute viel besser mit Viren auskennen als noch vor Wochen, beginnt Landeshauptmann-Stellvertreterin Ingrid Felipe.

▶️ Der Gipfel der Pandemie sei erreicht worden, der Abstieg sei aber nicht zu unterschätzen. Gerade in Tirol als bergsteig-affines Volk wisse man das.
▶️ Ausgangsbeschränkungen bestünden weiterhin, besonders die Rücksichtnahme auf Risikogruppen sei weiterhin bedeutend.

"Nutzen Sie das schöne Wetter für einen Spaziergang, aber setzen Sie sich keinem Risko aus wie etwa durch Skitouren, Mountainbiken oder Downhill. Wir brauchen die Einsatzkräfte für die Betreuung der Erkrankten. Unser Ziel ist, darauf hinzuarbeiten, dass unser Gesundheitssystem mit dieser Pandemie gut umgehen kann. Lassen sie uns vom Gipfel achtsam, vorsichtig, langsam absteigen."
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy