Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway is closed

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.lifeinnorway.net/norway-is-closed-coronavirus/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was due to take the kids over to sälen skiing for a week on Saturday, flying in and out of Oslo. Gutted Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snow Plow, Sorry. Just saw the news and thought I should post it. Sweden hasn't followed suit, and if you were staying with skistar, maybe they could sought you something in Åre. There are flights to Östersund from UK, easyjet, but not sure where from. You would need to look it up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This seems very drastic. Can it be justified? Norway appears to have a higher infection rate than most of its neighbours so it's not clear what travel bans will do (except stop Norwegians travelling abroad and infecting others).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not a huge surprise.

The virus is completely out of control in Norway.

It currently has a higher rate of infection per-head than China and Iran, and about the same as South Korea.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was looking at Stranda from Saturday.

Dumping.

Gutted.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The virus is completely out of control in Norway.

If that's true, what is stopping people travelling going to achieve? Except to protect Norway's neighbours?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Less travel = less people to meet = less spread.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It seems if you are travelling within Scandinavia, the rules are different, so it can't be about protecting neighbours. And Norway doesn't usually care about it's neighbours anyway. Higher infection down to Norwegians being on average quite wealthy and therefore travel more.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well - Denmark closed down a day before - this is really getting out of control!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is it because the genetic pool is murky?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Whitegold, yup. Imagine having to meet you. Pure nightmare right there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thecramps, his dad just hopes his lessons on how to duck really fast sank in
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well they test more and find more.

In Lithuania we have a total imbecile as a minister of health, saving money on tests, only 300 people tested thus only 3 cases confirmed. That’s two planes from Bergamo tested only.

Country not closing, but schools, events, gyms etc. are closing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
same here in thailand
snow report
@Mike Pow,

I was also going to Stranda next week after we cancelled the Alps. Nothing to say except that the development is really sad.
latest report
You are not allowed to travel within Norway for leisure purpose. Only essential travel. The situation is quite similar as Italy..
snow report
I drove from Oslo to Stockholm yesterday afternoon (would normally fly). Nothing going on at the border.
snow report
I heard about the closure last night from a Norwegian friend. It’s not just the country, he said the ski resorts are shutting down as well, even for Norwegian’s.

I guess they don’t want the rest of Europe travelling there if the resorts in the Alps shutdown.
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
I heard about the closure last night from a Norwegian friend. It’s not just the country, he said the ski resorts are shutting down as well, even for Norwegian’s.

I guess they don’t want the rest of Europe travelling there if the resorts in the Alps shutdown.

This was something I had put some thought in to when my Italy holiday went up the spout.
snow report
The Norway situation is grim. Per head of population they have 1/2 what Italy has and you know how a lot of the spread recently Been People who had been to Italy.

My niece is a journalist in Norway and is looking into this. The positive rate has hit the exponential phase.

I can't remember the exact number but it went
2 days later 210
2 days later 446
Expected to pass 1000 soon. From a population of 5.5M

Compare to Italy at 12,000 positive from 60M

And these are just those that have been tested.

Now consider Italy
snow conditions
@pam w, don’t have the papers to hand but I have read a couple of articles/studies suggesting that this sort of action has no or limited benefit healthwise, and is obviously economically dreadful.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@pam w, don’t have the papers to hand but I have read a couple of articles/studies suggesting that this sort of action has no or limited benefit healthwise, and is obviously economically dreadful.

The theory behind it, I believe, is to try to flatten the infection-rate curve with a view to keeping the cases at any point in time below what the health system can handle. There is a graph illustrating that theory doing the rounds on Twitter and FB. Only time will tell if in practice it helped.
snow report
Norway has done a lot of testing, might be why the numbers are so high.

Interestingly, many believe the reason why the numbers are so high is because skiers have imported the virus from the Alps. When the virus exploded in Northern Italy a lot of Norwegians were skiing in the Alps.

As of today, you can trace back 250 cases in Norway to ski trips to Austria and 109 cases to trips to Italy. Only 1 case can be traced to China. There are 195 unidentifiable cases (most likely transmitted in Norway).

What is interesting is that the government says that 250 has been transmitted directly or indirectly through Austria, while in Tirol it is only 141 cases...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-03-20 9:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Tyrol is closing this weekend as well
snow report
@ulmerhutte, the curve flattening I understand, but thank you, the papers I read suggested that closing borders didn’t help tho’.

Not on a big screen but I’ll have a hunt for the references when I am back on one.
snow conditions
Not sure this is the one I had read, but the message is the same.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/3049005/coronavirus-flight-bans-are-no-guarantee-stopping-spread-virus

More academically, this is also interesting, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4313627/ , "We conclude that outbreak-associated communications for travelers at border entry points, together with effective communication with clinicians and more effective disease control measures in the community, may be a more effective approach to the international control of communicable diseases."
snow conditions
Yes the testing rates are very different in each Country I think , with the richer countries with better Health care testing more & therefore having more cases & lower Death rates . Britain seems to midway in the testing rate though sounds like we a going to be limiting testing to more serious cases, which means of course the infection rates for each country are not reliable anyway
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The theory behind it, I believe, is to try to flatten the infection-rate curve with a view to keeping the cases at any point in time below what the health system can handle.

Yes, I realise that, but all the ways of having fewer people coming into contact with each other will have consequences. And have different effects depending on timing. Stopping movement between more infected areas and less infected areas makes sense, but that's also true within countries, isn't it? I dare say epidemiologists have been mathematically modelling all this stuff, for different kinds of contagion, for ages.

At the outset with a completely new virus, international travel is a critical vector. But once there's a pandemic..... we can all grow our own clusters, with or without international travel. Yes, a travel ban will have a marginal effect, but at a huge cost.
snow conditions
Quote:

At the outset with a completely new virus, international travel is a critical vector. But once there's a pandemic..... we can all grow our own clusters, with or without international travel. Yes, a travel ban will have a marginal effect, but at a huge cost.

Exactly this, all feels like they're shutting the stable door too late. Why ban international movement once your country has a problem, is it supposed to be altruistic?

Social distancing I get, handshakes, cheek kissing, etc.
ski holidays
Quote:

Social distancing I get, handshakes, cheek kissing, etc.

Indeed, and avoiding places like busy public transport if you can, putting down all domestic pets or disinfecting them every ten minutes, etc
snow conditions
Email from Crystal this morning cancelling trip to Beitostølen on the 22nd. Entirely expected after yesterday's news, but still disappointing - the snow looked really good and I've had a couple of recent holidays with less than ideal conditions. In fairness to Crystal, they said automatic refund and £75 if I book for next year this summer, which I can't fault them for. My impression from the Norwegian news is they have steeply rising case numbers with more local transmission, and the thought of people both Norwegian and foreign tourists pouring in for Easter skiing in must have been pretty chilling.
ski holidays
Without quoting he should not be quoted. Didn’t I read you also said the same about Switzerland on another thread?
snow report
Chuckles3 wrote:
Without quoting he should not be quoted. Didn’t I read you also said the same about Switzerland on another thread?
To whom is this question addressed?
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Chuckles3 wrote:
To whom is this question addressed?

The harbinger of doom troll that seems to be infecting all these threads with his fear spreading claims. If he attached evidence to support these, then at least there would be a nod towards trying to enlighten without frighten. However his intention seems to be opposite to this. In the current climate, these kind of posts are just not very funny or clever any more.
snow conditions
midgetbiker wrote:
Quote:

Exactly this, all feels like they're shutting the stable door too late. Why ban international movement once your country has a problem, is it supposed to be altruistic?

Here in Austria it feels like they are trying to protect the health service from being overwhelmed like in Italy. Italy feels like a long way when you're in the UK, but here it is only half an hour and there are a lot of Italians in Tirol so their problems feel a lot closer.

Most of the tourists this time of year are here for the skiing, so with the ski areas closed they all go home and that reduces the potential pressure on the health service here, although the problem is intentionally being moved elsewhere. It also reduces the number of injuries amongst the population as they have fewer opportunities to hurt themselves, and so keeps those surgical beds available.

There has been a lot of discussion about ski touring being the last way to get to the good snow, and around here it is a hugely popular activity anyway so many people have the means to do this. But there has also been some pushback about the risk of getting injured (in an avalanche or just an accident) and then either occupying space in the hospital or in the worse case not being able to be rescued due to a lack of medics. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but it certainly feels like a time to avoid the hospital if at all possible. If nothing else, you're not allowed visitors anymore.

Austrian healthcare is very good and they have one of the highest ratios of ICU beds and are generally very well resourced. They are worried.
latest report
My Norwegian friend said this to us this morning

Hey guys. Sorry for beeing off grid yesterday. We have a full shut down i Norway. I actually had to return back home from the airport yesterday, as they couldn’t guarantee that the airport would be open for our return next monday. All schools are closed, so are all public service. We’ve been forced to close the clinics for at least two weeks, and been told to stay inndors for most of the time. All inndoor and outdoor activities are also shut down. People or told to work from home, and not even go to their cabins, in case they suddenly should turn ill. How is the UK handling this?

Followed by

It is scary. Haven’t really been to concerned, but now Norway is like a war zone. Working like hell to see if there are any compansations for us who needed to close down the entire Business for a minimum of two weeks. Might be longer
snow conditions
Quote:

@Snow Plow, Sorry. Just saw the news and thought I should post it. Sweden hasn't followed suit, and if you were staying with skistar, maybe they could sought you something in Åre. There are flights to Östersund from UK, easyjet, but not sure where from. You would need to look it up.

As it stands, the Gatwick flights are still running, we're due to fly back from Are with Easyjet.

The problem is we're due to be flying outbound into Trondheim with Norweigan!

I have a horrible feeling this is going to be a nightmare with the insurers (on the assumption we can't complete the outbound leg...I word it like that as Norwegian seem to have a different stance to most airlines, in that Government sanctioned travel bans don't result in refunds)!
snow report
@vjmehra, Norwegian border will probably close very soon. No foreigners allowed into Oslo airport tonight. All are turned around. Situation is developing so rapidly and Norway will probably follow Denmark , Poland and Ukraine very soon.
ski holidays
Quote:

@vjmehra, Norwegian border will probably close very soon. No foreigners allowed into Oslo airport tonight. All are turned around. Situation is developing so rapidly and Norway will probably follow Denmark , Poland and Ukraine very soon.

Yeah, was assuming that was coming tbh, I presume in that instance Norwegian have a legal obligation to refund flights, but who knows!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy