Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley prizm lenses set

Poster: A snowHead
I am trying to compile a right, all-conditions lens set from oakley (sun, mixed and overcast/snow) from PRIZM lenses. How many do you think I need and which ones?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3, Hi pink, blue sapphire and black - all iridium combo works well for me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve got all of them, in Flight Decks. I usually take two pairs out with me based on the forecast. If it’s snowing as opposed to low visibility, I much prefer the Hi-Yellow to the Hi-Pink. Yes, I know the Hi-Yellow isn’t a Prizm lense.

The Sapphire, Jade and Torch are all the same so just go for the colour you like. I’ve never used the Black, as I’ve never experienced sun bright enough to overwhelm the Sapphires. But of course everyone’s eyes are different.

I would start with the Hi-Pink and one of the Sapphire, Jade and Torch lenses, then use them and see if you need anything else.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use 3: prizm black, prizm rose and prizm persimmon i also have non prism torch iridium, but I don't use it at all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the same as markymark29 Smile

TBH, thje sapphire is brilliant in all but the flattest of light. the hi pinks are great, but I've found mine fog up really easily (may be a dodgy lense)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A jade/sapphire/torch & the hi-pinks will do everything. I'm very light sensitive and the torch is fine in bright light but not so dark that you can still see when you ski in to the shade - which is a problem I found with the black lens which I then sold.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 12-03-20 14:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rose and Jade, wear Rose 80% of the time unless it's really sunny.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I picked up some flight decks this year (moving from a battered A-frames), with prism sapphire and rose lenses (couldn't get the hi pink at the time). Skied the whole week in the sapphire, from bright sunshine to near white out (flat light, snowing and only seeing approx one marker ahead) - i saw no point in messing to change to the rose - it might have been a bit better but i didn't try it, though perhaps i should. It would have to be bloody bright to 'need' the black.
so to answer the original Q from my (limited experience) of these lenses ... you probably only need one of sapphire/torch/jade (if you read their blurb they have marginally different light transmissions, the major difference is the look) and if you have the cash add a pink/rose then consider the black.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends upon your eyes. I use High Pink in my Line Miners for all conditions, even bright sunny days. My eyes are fine with them on bright days, most folks probably wouldn’t be.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Awdbugga wrote:
Depends upon your eyes. I use High Pink in my Line Miners for all conditions, even bright sunny days. My eyes are fine with them on bright days, most folks probably wouldn’t be.

I'm very light sensitive (often drive wearing sunnies in the winter) but have worn also my Hi Pinks in good light without issue. They must have very good filtering.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have Flightdecks.

Currently running Prizm Torch and Prizm Hi-Pink. I find these two give me more than enough coverage. Torch is my go to and I probably ski 75% of the time in them. I swap to the Hi-Pink in bad flat light or snow etc. I probably won't bother with the Prizm Black for my goggles, but when it's really nice I swap to my sunglasses anyway which have Prizm black lenses in.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, main reason I stick to just the High Pink is the ability to still see Ok when I suddenly ski into a heavily shaded area of a run. I’ve tried darker lenses on bright days, but find I have to lift my goggles off my face when I ski into heavily shaded areas. I then end up with streaming eyes. For me, the High Pinks are brilliant in flat light and perfectly usable in bright conditions. But as I say, everyone’s eyes are different. Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Two flight decks, one with a sapphire and one with a hi pink lens in each. Hi pinks when it’s cloudy or overcast. Sapphires all other times.

Was about the same price to get two complete goggles as buy one and get a spare pair of lenses at Oakley in Covent Garden due to their offer before Xmas.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fantastic replies guys, thank you so very much to all of you!

I will most likely get sapphire, then I will consider either Persimmon or high pink (high pink might be too close to clear for me as per some reviews I saw)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah, yes, btw anyone has experience with PRIZM Persimmon vs High Pink?

Also, you would say Black is an overkill, as it never gets too bright for sapphire?
ski holidays
I’ve never felt the need for anything more than sapphire in over 100 days of use. Has to be pretty filthy weather for me to switch to rose, and that’s mainly because I don’t want to screw the sapphire lens scraping ice off it. Unless your eyes are particularly sensitive then imo no need for a black lens
snow conditions
I have really sensitive eyes but surprisingly have never needed anything darker than the jade. However, I also have the Hi-pink but can only use it on cloudy days in the trees. On cloudy but bright days, e.g. above the tree line, it's too bright for me and I use the jade. It's ace for night skiing though, and far superior to the standard persimmon which I used to have. I haven't tried the new Prizm persimmon.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 13-03-20 8:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I went for Prism Torch and Prism Persimmon, and found both useful on sunnier days, but the Prism Persimmon is much better in flat light (for me).

Swapping lenses in the Line Minor is also very simple - and yes, it is almost the same cost to buy two complete pairs of goggles than one pair plus a lens... but that might mean I’d eventually end up having to lend my ‘spare’ pair to a friend, and I’m not so sure I could bear to see THOSE flung carelessly onto tables or left attached on the helmet overnight for a whole week... Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
I use:

Torch: very sunny day
Rose: mixed sun/clouds or mainly north face area
Hi pink: very flat light and/or snow day

To be fair I think Rose would do everything pretty good.
ski holidays
I have Torch/Rose, as Hi Pink wasn't available.

Doing it now, I'd go with the Prizm Hi Pink or Persimmon, instead of Rose.

If I only had one lens, it would be Rose.
latest report
Ok so atm I think ot os sapphire (I like that colour) and tben will add hi pink or persimmon (might try both). Thanks!
ski holidays
bober02 wrote:
Ok so atm I think ot os sapphire (I like that colour) and tben will add hi pink or persimmon (might try both). Thanks!

Yep. This should give you coverage for pretty much every occasion.

The lenses can be a right PITA to change on the flight decks. I've got it down to a bit of a knack now but it can be a bit fiddly.
snow conditions
Re why hi pink still works in surprisingly bright conditions is that the visibly light transmission (VLT) of the prizm series is extraordinarily and surprisingly low. Regular lowlight lens work by letting through a lot of light (typically 80-90 percent) while prizm work with the psychology of perception re manipulating frequency bands. This means they can increase contrast in low light whilst still maintaining a much lower VLT.

I have knackered my eyes (in my youth, climbing) by being at altitude without enough uv protection - I have used the prizm rose in stupid-bright conditions for days without getting red eye I often get. They are brilliant.
latest report
Bit more ...

Rose prizm has 26 per cent VLT and that’s surprising for a lens which is so good in very low light conditions.
Bolle lemon has about the same low light performance yet is 69 per cent VLT

We have used many many goggles in every condition going - and now tend to use:

Oakley hi yellow for zero viz
Oakley prizm rose for poor viz through to winter sunny
Bolle citrus gun or Oakley Fire Iridium for Easter sunny

That covers all conditions, really. I bought the Prizm hi pink to see how it performs but for me the old hi yellow still gives the best contrast in zero viz.
ski holidays
I wonder how the new persimmon prizm compares to the hi pink.
I've got prizm rose at the moment, but dont like the look of the hi pink.
ski holidays
Roguevfr wrote:
I wonder how the new persimmon prizm compares to the hi pink.
I've got prizm rose at the moment, but dont like the look of the hi pink.

I started a thread asking exactly this.....and at that point, nobody had directly compared the two. The conclusion I have come to, is go for the one with the colour you prefer, as their performance is very similar. If you don't like looking through the Hi-Pink, the Persimmon would be the better choice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy