Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Will Covid-19 Impact Your 2020-21 Ski Vacation?

Poster: A snowHead
Sarge McSarge wrote:
With our new covid positive cases numbers dropping and the number of daily recovered cases now higher than new infections there is some hope of proper control here. As the number of tests performed each day increasing and contact tracing getting better and another two weeks of very tight lockdown we actually have a chance of elimination. Border control will remain for the foreseeable future so a ski season is a possibility.

Who is our?
For which country are you claiming these stats??
Genuinely curious
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@horgand, if you look at Sarge McSarge’s name beside his post it says Queenstown NZ, so I would think he is referring to New Zealand.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’m in Australia and I won’t be surprised if the first time I can ski is Southern Hemisphere winter 2022 Sad

Most of our state borders are closed and I don’t in a state with snow. The talk here is the resorts here may not open at all in 2020. There is a chance I may not be able to travel abroad until well into 2021.

Luckily I did get a Japan ski trip in just before everything kicked off so I’ve got that to be happy about.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sarge McSarge wrote:
With our new covid positive cases numbers dropping and the number of daily recovered cases now higher than new infections there is some hope of proper control here. As the number of tests performed each day increasing and contact tracing getting better and another two weeks of very tight lockdown we actually have a chance of elimination. Border control will remain for the foreseeable future so a ski season is a possibility.

It is highly unlikely that NZ or any country will eliminate the virus, it is too infectious and far too many dont have symptoms. Even if you did remove it from any country there could be no travel to or from it, even goods would have to be quarantined for a fair while and any body who was allowed into the country would have to be completely isolated for a month.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@robs1, NZ has a good chance of eliminating the virus as it has a relatively small population, making contact tracing and testing much easier.

The number of new daily cases is the lowest for2 weeks, and down to 1/3 of the number only last Saturday. This is the result of very early intervention by the Government.

@SargeMcSarge, might be lucky enough to get some home skiing done if local restrictions are lifted, but I agree that travel restrictions to/from might be wishfull thinking for Europe in 20/21. They may be very strict until an effective vaccine is available.

I have a sister over there, who was planning to visit home this summer, but is highly unlikely to make the trip. Even if she got here without problems, it could be a nightmare getting back.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
an email from work said all leave cancelled after a return to the office so we'll see. The current proposition is to reduce the holiday entitlement by up to 15 days so people won't even have the holiday to go away.

Not sure if you live in the UK but if you do, as I understand it, that will not be permitted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rules-on-carrying-over-annual-leave-to-be-relaxed-to-support-key-industries-during-covid-19
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brianatab wrote:
@robs1, NZ has a good chance of eliminating the virus as it has a relatively small population, making contact tracing and testing much easier.

The number of new daily cases is the lowest for2 weeks, and down to 1/3 of the number only last Saturday. This is the result of very early intervention by the Government.

@SargeMcSarge, might be lucky enough to get some home skiing done if local restrictions are lifted, but I agree that travel restrictions to/from might be wishfull thinking for Europe in 20/21. They may be very strict until an effective vaccine is available.

I have a sister over there, who was planning to visit home this summer, but is highly unlikely to make the trip. Even if she got here without problems, it could be a nightmare getting back.

It will be very hard for the reasons I outlined, and it would mean no international travel at all or at least three week quarantine for all incomes including several tests, the fact so many have no symptoms makes it very hard to catch all carriers and thus trace all contacts, but yes as the population is small it does make it easier than most countries
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@robs1, Aussies and Kiwis are quite accustomed to living in a "bubble" of sorts. Witness that when arriving as a visitor...

Although Aussies and Kiwis travel a lot. They don't do short hop international travel as the rest of the world do. Simply, they can't! Unless it's a hop into the sea!!!

New Zealand being a lot smaller than Australia, has the advantage.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robboj wrote:
davidof wrote:
an email from work said all leave cancelled after a return to the office so we'll see. The current proposition is to reduce the holiday entitlement by up to 15 days so people won't even have the holiday to go away.

Not sure if you live in the UK but if you do, as I understand it, that will not be permitted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rules-on-carrying-over-annual-leave-to-be-relaxed-to-support-key-industries-during-covid-19

He doesn't live in the UK.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
Won’t affect my planning, Birthday Bash booked and I’ve just booked Haus Susanne with Flangesax for Christmas. Is it to early to get excited? snowHead

Has anyone seen NeddySkiGoon??

I'm not so sure the long term planning has gone so well...
I can't find an enquiry or a booking or an email or a message anywhere!! Shocked Shocked
I'm a little worried you may have slid off into a crevice Neddy!!

I think the planning may have been made 'offline' a little! wink wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm actually more optimistic now regarding the situation generally than at any time since last week of Feb when I was struggling to understand how everything seemed so oblivious to what was coming.

Have booked for next Feb after cancelling this year, going to Italy. Decided to Book with a European flag carrier (KLM) as my feeling is they are essentially backed by the governments. But by credit card just in case. 1/3rd deposit on accommodation which is main money at risk but a hit I felt I could afford after getting everything back for this year's cancellation. Wouldn't do a full payment place though which a lot of self-catering apartments seem to want.

After a snowless trip in 2019 and a covid-hit cancellation in 2020 pretty desperate for 2021 to come right as this year was planned for my kids' first time in lessons (obvious caveat that this is a tiny issue compared to what many are putting up with right now).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After 2 cancelled trips this year Crying or Very sad we will definitely be making up for lost time! Already booked flights and accommodation for New Year in Chamonix - I was drawn in by the cheap Easy Jet flights when they were released. Used my credit card for the flights and had a very nice email from the Air bnb host to let me know she would refund us the full amount if we were still unable to travel. Everything else can be sorted at a later date/when we get there.

Will probably also take a trip at Easter but will wait a while to book that - as a teacher I am limited to the school holidays and always on the look out for cheap flight deals!

Counting down the days already!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
it will probably result in a change to my work, a breakdown of my marriage which will mean I can ski the whole season (if it's open) so not all bad then.. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was supposed to be going with a group to Les Carroz, which has been cancelled for obvious reasons.

I was lured in by cheap flights for 2021. I'm now going solo... fingers crossed!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Deibitto wrote:
I'm actually more optimistic now regarding the situation generally than at any time since last week of Feb when I was struggling to understand how everything seemed so oblivious to what was coming.

It's interesting those who "saw it coming" and wondering why everyone was so oblivious back in Feb are the same people who are optimistic and making plans now for moving forward.

Wait, that's nothing special. Some are forward looking planners. Others are reactors "will cross the bridge when we got there".

Never mind. There's pros and cons for each camp.
snow report
I think we all want to be optimistic - hell, we all lost our dreams in March! Im not sure yet. I think ill book in Aug or so. But the serious question for me is do the hire shops and ski schools fill up earlier than hotels and chalets. Flights are easy to understand, hotels a little, but everyone else...
snow report
@efsefs, outside of school holidays there will always be availability for gear and lessons
ski holidays
@abc, My post was in no way intended to claim superiority in approach. I just feel there are now a number reasons to be cautiously optimistic. Hence noting that for me a partially hedged booking for next winter seemed a risk worth taking. No judgement at all implied on those taking a different view.
snow report
abc wrote:
Deibitto wrote:

It's interesting those who "saw it coming" and wondering why everyone was so oblivious back in Feb are the same people who are optimistic and making plans now for moving forward.

Wait, that's nothing special. Some are forward looking planners. Others are reactors "will cross the bridge when we got there".

Never mind. There's pros and cons for each camp.

Personal circumstances play a big part. We are stuck with school holidays weeks. If we weren’t I may have been more inclined to wait and see - though having something to look forward to has been hugely beneficial to my mental health during this period
ski holidays
Click here flat earthers

http://youtube.com/v/iYZbQIXoVMY

Please feel free to add any other hints of humour you have come across as we all need a giggle if not a full belly laugh these days.
latest report
horgand wrote:
Click here flat earthers

http://youtube.com/v/iYZbQIXoVMY

Please feel free to add any other hints of humour you have come across as we all need a giggle if not a full belly laugh these days.

Probably better suited to the dedicated CV Humour thread?
ski holidays
The survey we did (a couple of weeks ago now) still has relevance to this
https://www.skipedia.co.uk/2020/04/covid-19-uk-ski-industry-survey-results/

Key Points
64% are experiencing reduced sales for next winter
24% fear going out of business
60% have furloughed staff
80% are worried about future restrictions on UK passport holders
71% believe resorts will only open with social distancing restrictions
ski holidays
Quote:
having something to look forward to has been hugely beneficial to my mental health during this period

As long as you're prepared to handle any disappointment in case it doesn't work out.
snow report
I’m looking forward to being fit to ski in time for next season. I am fascinated by the number of families planning/hoping to fly somewhere & rent a car, for 2 of us it is only marginally more expensive to drive than fly & hire a car for a week so I would have thought for a family it would be quite a bit cheaper to drive.
ski holidays
I booked our Eurotunnel slots last week, for outbound Jan and return Feb, outside the school holidays. It was notable that the prices were much as usual and the days I picked (Sunday and Wednesday respectively) were already designated 'busy'. I suspect a lot of people are speculatively booking slots on Eurotunnel already, as a hedge against flight being unavailable, too expensive or too medically risky. Our return was £170 which seems reasonable as a hedge against simply having no other way to get there and back. Of course, it could be a waste, but I asked Eurotunnel and they confirmed the usual conditions - the bookings could be moved and the only charge would be the difference in the published price.

Of course, Eurotunnel could be talking-up the level of bookings to keep prices up. But if they are being honest, then all I'd say is that you should take a look at the pries for your likely travel dates and decide whether it's worth a punt sooner rather than later.
snow conditions
Gordyjh wrote:
I’m looking forward to being fit to ski in time for next season. I am fascinated by the number of families planning/hoping to fly somewhere & rent a car, for 2 of us it is only marginally more expensive to drive than fly & hire a car for a week so I would have thought for a family it would be quite a bit cheaper to drive.

That's a common topic of debate on here, but for 4 of us based in the south east, flying/car rental is cost neutral vs driving and gains us at least two days on the snow. YMMV. Next season my speculation at this point is we're more likely to drive.
snow conditions
The vitamin D theory to help fight Covid 19 is gaining support.

https://scitechdaily.com/vitamin-d-determines-severity-in-covid-19-researchers-urge-government-to-change-advice/

Keep taking those tablets people! Very Happy Very Happy

It won't stop you getting infected, but the science is suggesting it can help you fight it, and possibly save your life.
snow report
@snowdave, how does it gain days on snow? There’s not a lot of difference between flying & driving from East Anglia timewise either.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gordyjh, if I work all day Friday and leave in the evening, I'm skiing on Saturday morning, having had a proper night's sleep. Similarly, on the way home, if I get a 6-9pm flight, I've skied all day, had dinner at the airport, and am home before bedtime.

My wife and I both sometimes commute back to work in the UK from ski holidays, and it's very easy to ski the whole day, fly home, do a day's work, and fly back in the evening, which shows the scale of difference vs travel time driving.
ski holidays
@snowdave, it must depend on the transfer distance/time. To Serre Chevallier from here takes about 2 hours longer in the car than flying. Could be less if you don’t stop regularly for breaks & changing drivers.
snow report
My wife and her sister went skiing to the 4 Vallées in March and the logistics were interesting. Her sister drove via Eurotunnel from S.London, her sons sharing the driving with her and stopping minimally. My wife flew and got a train, télépherique and bus.

My wife actually had the option to go out with her sister, and the only difference would have been that I'd have driven past Gatwick at the same time and transferred her just off the Redhill junction. In the end, she opted to fly and use public transport.

As it was, she stepped off the PostBus in the village centre at precisely the same time as her sister's car drove past. To be fair, she would have arrived about 90 mins earlier but for the French ATC strike delaying take-off from LGW, which threw all the connections out Swiss-side.
latest report
@Gordyjh, I did office (London) to Les Deux Alpes (similar vicinity to Serre Chevalier) flying via Geneva in 7.5 hours in December, with most of the Geneva-LDA drive in torrential rain/blizzard and leaving a lot of airport slack time; I could have taken an hour off if I'd gone from home via City airport. Google says that would have taken over 12 hours to drive in perfect conditions with no breaks.

Better still, I worked all day Friday, and was in the hotel in LDA about half midnight. 7 hours sleep, breakfast, and onto the first lift feeling totally refreshed. If I'd driven that, either I'd be in a ditch somewhere beside the road, or shattered the next day.

I appreciate there are many reasons for some people to drive, but speed definitely isn't one of them!
latest report
Quote:

I did office (London) to Les Deux Alpes (similar vicinity to Serre Chevalier) flying via Geneva in 7.5 hours in December

Very impreesive. It depends to a large extent when you can leave work and what flights you can get. For me, finishing at 17:00 I could drive and get to Les Arcs by 9:00 the next morning or get a flight the next day and make it early afternoon. Assuming, that is, it takes less than an hour to clear immigration in Geneva. Last year I think the Journey times home went somethig like this: Flying 12 hours (limited trains from Bourg to Geneva so long wait at Geneva), driving 14 hours (a very smooth run), train 15 hours (including crossing Paris and London by public transport).

We tend to examine all options and choose the best for the circumstances, so sometimes we fly and sometimes drive. The train, though nice and restful, is just too expensive.
snow report
@snowdave, speed isn’t the reason to either drive or not drive for those of us not based in London. I suppose there has to be some reason to live there! All I’m saying is that from East Anglia there is little difference in time or cost between 2 people driving or flying & that for a family of 3+ it must be difficult to justify the inconvenience and cost of flying. I suppose not everyone has my antipathy to public transport, but I prefer to travel in comfort and control rather than cooped up in a metal tube with a load of strangers with their screaming children in an uncomfortable seat, being shunted from pillar to post like cattle.
ski holidays
@Gordyjh, I also live in East Anglia. I work in London. From home, Stansted, City, Southend are all nearer (35 mins) than Heathrow is from my office (50 mins) - however, I was giving real timings from an actual trip, not the theoretical ones that people on here sometimes quote.

I appreciate speed may not be the reason, but you were asking how I could get 2 extra days' skiing, and the answer is "speed of travel". For me, it's cost-neutral and I'd also rather someone else did the bulk of the driving/"piloting" so I can work, watch a movie, or eat dinner. Your view of convenience and mine are different, but that's just personal preference, so sticking to hard facts, for me + 3 others it's financially neutral and much faster.

@johnE, that was a normal-to-slow journey; IIRC there was a 30 min delay on the flight and we had checked in our skis which slows things down - record for home to Argentiere/Chamonix (our normal trip) is about 4 hrs, but that's not a set of timings that I'd consider "reliably repeatable"; to achieve the fastest times you have to be prepared to miss your flight and take the next one, which isn't everyone's attitude to flying.
latest report
If a lot of people who have previously chosen to take public transport decide to drive, instead journeys, especially for peak weekends, might take significantly longer.
snow report
Realistic timings for us from Colchester to Chatel:

Flying with check in bags and not cutting it too fine
Drive and park at Stansted or Southend 1 hour
Faff at airport 2 hours
Flight 1.5 hours
Faff at airport/collect hire car 1 hour
Drive GVA to Chatel 1.5 hours
Total 7 hours

Driving with virtually unlimited bags
Drive to Eurotunnel 2 hours
Faff at Eurotunnel 1 hour
Crossing/unloading 1 hour
Drive to Chatel 8 hours (this allows one fuel/loo stop, add others to taste)
Total 12 hours

Best possible you could probably cut air to 6 hours and road to 10.5 hours

Unrealistic to drive without taking an extra day holiday but saves significantly on flying with 4 people. Done both many times - choice depends on circumstances
snow report
@snowdave, fair enough although cost per person falls rapidly for each extra car occupant. As you say, the time difference is only 4 or 5 hours so marginal in the context of a week holiday.
ski holidays
I'm having a decent bottle of Chablis tonight we picked up driving back from skiing in March, a major benefit of driving over flying. Drinking the decent wine to keep morale up during lockdown.
latest report
JohnHSmith wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Why would it impact anyone's longer term planning?

Lol.

There's always one wink..............

Yep. You are that one. Spreading irrational disquiet and generally being a plonker. I will have the appropriate level of regard to Coronavirus. That is to say, I will pay it the same level of attention as I do to influenza.
It will have the same degree of influence on my holiday plans for next year as influenza has had on my plans for the last 60 years.
Precisely NONE Puzzled

well this post didn't age very well Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy