Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Will Covid-19 Impact Your 2020-21 Ski Vacation?

Poster: A snowHead
Given that we should use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content, I’m buying Spirytus Rektyfikowany Polish Vodka (96% abv) Shocked in bulk and shall be keeping myself well pi##ed for the foreseeable future. If that doesn’t kill it off and it doesn’t work, I won’t know and frankly, won’t care. Toofy Grin Razz
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good responses.

The worldwide survey so far indicates roughly:

* Ski same = 50%
* Ski more = 25%
* Ski less = 25%
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PeakyB wrote:
@under a new name, I’m sure the current situation IS affecting longer term plans.

For one thing, I’d be very surprised if early bookings for 2020/21 didn’t plummet.

The subject of this thread seems valid enough to me.

I agree early booking will be greatly reduced. However, that's not the same as "long term planning". By the time this blows over, people will start to book again. For one thing, if everybody delays booking, your favorite lodging will be available and reasonably priced in a much later date. So, the rationale to book early is no longer there.

Now, if the economy collapse, there will be significant impact on holidays. But that's typically not "planned".

Really, forward planning (or long term planning) is typically only applicable when environment is stable and/or predicatble. To plan now, without having a clear picture of air fare, TO solvency, lodging provider solvency, is a fool's errand. That's not "planning". Just carrying on a habit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@abc, couldn't you just be 'planning on continuing a (skiing) habit?'

I think that 'planning not to change your usual plans', is as valid as planning something different.... ne c'est pas!?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnHSmith wrote:
How Will Covid-19 Impact Your 2020-21 Ski Vacation?

It won't

Unless you aren't here to experience it... Shocked

Fingers crossed that we all survive this unscathed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers to that @Bergimeister,
Cheers to that!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Assuming you don't pass to the other side

You mean snowboarding? Wouldn't catch me dead, snowboarding at my age.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
horgand wrote:
@abc, couldn't you just be 'planning on continuing a (skiing) habit?'

I think that 'planning not to change your usual plans', is as valid as planning something different.... ne c'est pas!?

A habit is not plan. A squirrel stores nuts isn’t a plan. It’s instinct.

A plan that’s unchanged in the face of changing time... is either a very good plan, or a disaster waiting to happen.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After my Easter trip was confirmed cancelled I immediately Val D on 13th December. A small risk I know, but I think we'll have bigger problems if things aren't more or less back to normal by then.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We’re booked for 2 weeks in Banff at Christmas - first time across the pond and first time more than a week. May try and get a week in Italy at Easter. All of this assuming that everything gets back to normal of course.

So in short, it should be 3 weeks skiing instead of the usual 1 week
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We was supposed to have booked for January, but the majority of the group want to hold off, as well as waiting to see if the virus rebounds next winter if it disappears by the autumn.
So now we have late March penciled in.

As we DIY everything, we would have very little financial protection if we booked & things collapsed.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We'll be going for 6 weeks over the 20/21season. Not sure if Aosta valley or 4 vallees. Im making enquiries now for apartments. working out ski school/lunch club/kids club costs and availability for our daughters ages, guides costs and avaliablity etc.
I'm looking to book apartments now but taking note of cancellation policies, before i never did this and just booked. Ive now just got a credit card to pay for these type of things. If it goes belly up, im covered via that also.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
France have informed the EU that they will keep border controls in place until at least the end of October 2020.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
France have informed the EU that they will keep border controls in place until at least the end of October 2020.
where did you find this information? Thank you! Currently I am separated from my French boyfriend of 2 + years, I am in Belgium, he is in France. Very much following up on the border issue Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mr.Egg, Don't count on this virus reducing it's impact during the summer. It's only similarities with flu like viruses are the symptoms and parts of the body affected. It is not related in any way.

Spain, whilst nowhere near it's hottest time of year, is now getting closer to UK early summer temperatures (when flu like viruses tend to reduce), but showing no signs of abating any time soon.

Florida, where it's even warmer currently has in nearly 12,000 confirmed cases with over 100 deaths. They are only testing those admitted to hospital, so the actual number of cases will be much higher.
latest report
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:
davidof wrote:
where did you find this information? Thank you! Currently I am separated from my French boyfriend of 2 + years, I am in Belgium, he is in France. Very much following up on the border issue Smile

I've no idea what controls they currently have in place, just they intend to continue them.
snow report
brianatab wrote:

Florida, where it's even warmer currently has in nearly 12,000 confirmed cases with over 100 deaths. They are only testing those admitted to hospital, so the actual number of cases will be much higher.

Florida is full of old, fat people.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

A totally irrelevant comment.

The point I was making is that this virus seems to have no problem spreading, even in warm areas, so is unlikely to be restricted during our usual "English summer".

If there had been no lockdown in Spain, then the number of cases would probably be 20 or 30 times that at present, regardless of weather conditions.
latest report
davidof wrote:

What does age has anything yo do with how much the disease spread?

Old people have worse outcome once they’re infected. But data appears to show young people gets infected a lot!

The fact Spain, Florida both have plenty of cases points to the direction the virus spread in warm weather too. So summer may not bring much relief.
snow conditions
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:
davidof wrote:

It's been reported on foreign-policy websites for a few days.

Schengen is dead.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:
davidof wrote:

It's been reported on foreign-policy websites for a few days.

Schengen is dead.

Thank you! I did find the link saying that the measures for border control that France exercices since the terrorist attacks that need tot be prolonged every 6 months have been prolonged right now you october with reasoning both terrorist attacks as well as coronavirus. Wait and see Smile thank you!
snow conditions
brianatab wrote:
@Mr.Egg, Don't count on this virus reducing it's impact during the summer. It's only similarities with flu like viruses are the symptoms and parts of the body affected. It is not related in any way.

Spain, whilst nowhere near it's hottest time of year, is now getting closer to UK early summer temperatures (when flu like viruses tend to reduce), but showing no signs of abating any time soon.

I am not.
I cant see it going away. Its widespread across the world & simply wide open for another outbreak when borders reopen to normal function.
ski holidays
Are people booking flights already for next season? Aren’t you worried the airline will be bust?

I also think we’ll be living with this virus for a long time. It could flare up next ski season too, with resort closures again?

I’ll probably stick to skiing in Sweden and Norway.
snow report
As a family we have decided to presume we will not be ski-ing next winter. Mainly on the basis that the disappointment will be more manageable if indeed we can't. In reality the variables are just too many at this time;

Will there be continuing or renewed restrictions that prevent it anyway?

Regardless of those will we be able to justify such a relative luxury or indeed even afford to if our jobs and income disappear?

Will resorts/hotels and all the other infrastructure of a ski holiday survive the loss of a chunk of this season followed by almost no early bookings and the possibility of most bookings being on a last minute basis.

Travel insurance polices already are and likely will continue to specifically exclude any Covid related claims so I doubt I'd take the risk of a DIY holiday? Will there be any TO's left? Or any airlines to fly us there? As an example Stelios is predicting this morning that Easyjet will run out of cash by August. They were selling flights last month for £29.99 each way. I thought about booking but decided that even £300 (for 5 of us) was money I couldn't justify risking.

I might be pessimistic but primarily, I'm afraid, just being realistic.
snow report
@robboj, good plan! Toofy Grin

I too, plan to be flexible. Plan to be disappointed even if I book last minute. Plan with tons of contingencies. Perhaps I'll still have a 20/21 ski season to enjoy.

If not, there's usually a few days of snow nearby most winters. I can cross country ski when that happens. I'm one of the lucky ones.
snow report
In addition I might as well just say now that as sods law would have it 20/21 will end up being the best weather and snow conditions for 30yrs! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
@robboj, Same plan here. Although I tend to book up early so that I can get the accommodation and flights that I want, for next season, it will all be last minute or not at all.
snow report
Quote:

I tend to book up early so that I can get the accommodation and flights that I want

Chances are good you'll be able to get your preferred accommodation and flights last minute in 20/21 season.

DO NOT ASSUME next season will be "just like" any other season. It will not.

But that doesn't mean there will not be a season either. It's just it will be different. So, think twice about booking early. Ask if it makes sense to commit early.

I suspect we WILL have a 20/21 ski season, however differently it may turn out to be.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@abc, As I thought I made clear, I’m making no assumptions about next season
snow report
robboj wrote:
In addition I might as well just say now that as sods law would have it 20/21 will end up being the best weather and snow conditions for 30yrs! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Don’t worry, we’ll upload some pictures so you don’t miss out Laughing
snow conditions
I’ve booked outward EasyJet flights for Easter 2021 holidays for 120 for four of us. Price was too good to miss. On credit card though! Booked car hire for the week, again half the price I usually pay but with the ability to cancel. But am holding off apartment for now. I have a couple I am keen on but no cancellation refund policy is holding me back from committing. It is also clear and not surprising that many owners are not yet putting their apartments back on Airbnb or Homeaway yet.
ski holidays
jtr wrote:
@abc, As I thought I made clear, I’m making no assumptions about next season

My comments were not directly at you. Just a generic comment directed at general audience
ski holidays
Stock up on facemasks for the 2020-21 season.

You will need two N95 or surgical masks per person per day.

One for the slopes.
One for the apres.

Plus some backup.

One week = 20 masks pp.
One season = 400 masks pp.

You don't wanna be stuck in a tram of death for 10mins with some random dood, a drippy nose, and a cough.

Smart travel and hotel / chalet firms will offer their guests "free" masks and virus-killing chemicals in their rooms.

Disinfectant is the new pillow chocolate.
ski holidays
Quote:

Disinfectant is the new pillow chocolate.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Well in NZ we do not yet know if there will be a 2020 ski season as we are still in the early stages of the covid 19 pandemic in this country try. So far only 1160 infections and with a strict lockdown in place for at least two more weeks we may actually get on top of it. If we do have it well controlled I'm expecting to get lots of skiing as it's unlikely that I'll have any work and with my season pass payed for what else would I do.
My 2021 Japan trip is likely of due to financial loss Confused
latest report
@Sarge McSarge, if NZ wants to maintain the cases and deaths at minimal level I can’t see how the ski resorts can open. They kept them open as long as possible in Sweden, but in the end closed them for Easter (under ‘advice’ from the health authorities, but more realistically under public pressure and for PR reasons).
latest report
Themasterpiece wrote:
@Sarge McSarge, if NZ wants to maintain the cases and deaths at minimal level I can’t see how the ski resorts can open. .

Open the resorts but keep the borders closed.

It is probably what will happen in Europe but lets see. Our July summer holiday looks off the cards and we're looking to rebook close to home although an email from work said all leave cancelled after a return to the office so we'll see. The current proposition is to reduce the holiday entitlement by up to 15 days so people won't even have the holiday to go away.

Total confusion about when the French lockdown will stop and how. Dates from June to July being discussed now. French finance minister says it will be the worst economic downturn in living memory, so ski holidays may be the least of our worries.
snow conditions
whilst understanding that the current situation is truly terrible for all . If we can before im too old infirm and more to the point alive im thinking that it is highly unlikely I would book with a TO unless within a very short lead up time wether it be next year or even the year after, My recent experience reinforces this. Fortunately in early march we having booked independently we changed resorts (within 2 hours of arrival)as cv was confirmed where we had intended going without any significant cost, had I booked with a TO would have been committed to a health risk I wasnt prepared to take and or a significant financial loss, and I doubt in future any TO will offer the same or any sort of back up as now in such circumstances
ski holidays
With our new covid positive cases numbers dropping and the number of daily recovered cases now higher than new infections there is some hope of proper control here. As the number of tests performed each day increasing and contact tracing getting better and another two weeks of very tight lockdown we actually have a chance of elimination. Border control will remain for the foreseeable future so a ski season is a possibility.
snow report
I've a trip to India booked for sept (booked in March) because I have s great price and if I need to change I get it.free for up to a year in advance.

On BA in Biz (WT+ plus voucher) for £800.

Flights for BB will be booked this week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy