Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champoluc

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Wondered if anyone could let me know about Champoluc as we've just booked for Christmas.

I've looked at some basic info and I know its intermediate but I'm a nervous intermediate...sometimes get leg wobble on a blue sometimes do easy blacks if I'm feeling confident. (torn ligaments once and think thats made me nervous!)

I'e been to the following if these help for comparisons:

Morzine/Les Gets
Alpe Duez
Les Duez Alpe (Cant remember what it was like much)
Soll/ Ellmau
Verbier
Saa Fee
Val Thorens
Courchevel

Keen to know any runs to avoid etc. I don't ski off piste but willing to learn (subject to fitness)

Any info gratefully received.

Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll be fine, especially on the Champoluc side.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers ...feeling better already!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Codie, Just go back from Gressoney. Couple of thoughts - 1) Enjoy the food ! snowHead and 2) As far as runs go you'll be fine.... It's quite a small area, just be sure to be on the right part of the mountain when the lifts are closing.

The lift map isn't the best I've seen, and a lot of the chairlifts are quite old and slow, so getting back up the mountain takes quite a while.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski, agreed, and also enjoy the hot chocolate - never tasted anything like it - tastes like..... well, melted chocolate actually.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you will find italian piste grooming second to none (european standards) so if anything your confidence should be boosted. As ski, mentioned enjoy the food and wine; btw you cant go away without a lunch or 2 at Refugio Guglemina (spelling). Alagna village is also worth a visit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Codie, avoid the black down the lowest section from Col Bettaforca - basically it's the last run down to Gressoney (called Nera) - from Champoluc. Steep and frequently icy. The piste map claims there's a red alternative but I've never seen it open. I think you can cable car down if you prefer. Conversely the black down from Gressoney towards Champoluc (Moos) should be a red: a couple of short steep pitches but nothing terrible (IMHO). Don't mix them up!

PP suggests the Guglielmina for lunch. I would suggest that you might not like the run down to the returning cable car - it's not that hard a black but in poor weather it can be quite long, bumpy and tiring. The alternative is a 400m climb back up to run to Gressoney.

In Champoluc itself there isn't a great deal to fret about.

Lunchwise however - there's a good barbeque/mixed grill at the hotel almost at the bottom of the Belvedere run (Can't recall the name). Also a nice lunch to be had at the Belvedere restaurant at the top of the run - it used to be called "Max's" but has changed hands. If you like polenta, this year they had a very nice version with the usual spiral sausage nonsense.

We also like the little bar restaurant on the left as you go down Ostafa 1 towards Crest. No idea of the name but tres cosy on a crappy day.

We also like the (I think this is the name) Sant'Anna above Nera.

It doesn't look like you've been to Italy before so try (if you like drinkies like me...) Mandarin Punch, Vov, Grappa, any local wine, and the funny yellow drink like Advocaat the name of which completely escapes me. Bardolino maybe?

If you want a good (very) meal in C itself (and especially if you eat meat) you can do less wrong (or little better) than the Tagliata in "Le Sapin". Le Sapin is just generally very good anyway.

On a more budget basis, the Churen does great pizzas and great steaming slabs of meat. Do not be taken in by the pizzeria beside Pachamama (the bar). Some chums were there last year and paid a ridiculous sum for average pizzas. NSG.

Who are you staying with? Ski2? Hotel?

PS Tagliata =~ Chateaubriand - IMHO exquisite
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Absolutely love Champoluc for its real Italian Village feel, deserted pistes, and all those food stops already mentioned.
Another Fab place for lunch is Susseon, you can ski down to it, but cant ski back out, so the owner gives you a lift in his piste basher, excellent fun, plan for a long lunch and probably best to ring and book. Fantastic Italian food and hospitality. They were planning on opening some rooms, it might be rather quite apres ski! Dont ask me where it is, dont do piste maps well, am a sheep, baa. Sure some other knowledgable snowHead will know. Also agree with comment on Guglielmina, and David Murdoch, is right the run down isnt nice if it is icy.
oh and beware of getting stuck in Gressony if the wind blows and they close the chair lift back over to Champoluc Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fantastic info thanks so much as I'm a virgin Snowhead.

Not lot looking for hard and fast skiing but more of a get away from it all week.
Hoping for skiing without massive lift waits and tussles, traditional places to refuel up the mountain, good restuarants and alcohol! I think i'll just avoid the Nera down to Gressoney unless feeling paticularly bullish (thanks David Murdoch thanks such useful advise) and also feel happy I can skiing back down to the village at the end of the day.

We were going to stay at the Breithorn but have decided to save the budget to spend on eating out so compromising somewhat and staying at the de Champoluc by the Cresta Gondola.
Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Codie, you can't be a virgin with 5 posts wink

I Don't know the de Champoluc myself unless it's the one with the tres civ bar by the road. If the rest of it is like that then it'll be (nearly) as nice as the Breithorn - which is rather spesh if a little $$$.

Champoluc is a pretty good get away from it place, although the wealthy Milanese will arrive for New Year. Terrible traffic but at least you can laugh at their absolutely terrible ski kit. So much for stylish. If you're hiring skis, then try and PM me and I'll try and remeber what our chum's shops called. I don't think asking for Ivan's will get you anywhere...

PS we'll probably be there for Xmas anyway so drop us a shout and we can do a SHs ,meet!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Codie. Two of us have booked with crystal at Le Champoluc for 4January.first time for us as well.usually do French resorts but thought Italy would be good.
Lots of good reports in many reviews.if you're a bit nervous of slopes go to "you tube" postings for champoluc.there's even a video "cresta champoluc" which shows run back to hotel.
Nothing to worry about and very reassuring.Lots of piste videos showing intermediates having fun.
Enjoy,you'll love it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@lambert, i think you're a little late with your advice... About 8 years late...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whoops !!!
Didn't look at the dates and as it came up on page two google "search Champoluc", I thought it was recent !!
Hey ho..I think the advise is up to date though, as many people now have hand held/helmet held video cameras. Some of the videos of Champoluc are very reassuring for intermediates.
Anyway we'll be there at Le Champoluc 4 January 2015, so anyone want to get in touch with an old out of date git and his mate, who can still ski a bit (loves off piste!!) then we can arrange an "any standard" ski day at Champoluc.
Isn't life great !! Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@lambert, you'll love it. Several threads on here with restaurant recommendations etc.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@lambert, you'll love it. Several threads on here with restaurant recommendations etc.

booked for the 21st december, better check those out then .. Cool
snow conditions
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2580748&highlight=frantze#2580748 f'rinstance
ski holidays
@Codie, it's great. Not sure about Christmas but it normally only gets busy at weekends.
latest report
We're arriving on the 21st too snowHead just for the week. First 6 nights at Rascard Frantze (soooo excited Toofy Grin ) and the last night at the Relais des Glacier snowHead
latest report
@jbob, i think you haven't been paying attendtion to dates either.

Ignore that idiot Murdoch above. He knows nothing and is also 8 years out of date.
snow report
RachelQ wrote:
We're arriving on the 21st too snowHead just for the week. First 6 nights at Rascard Frantze (soooo excited Toofy Grin ) and the last night at the Relais des Glacier snowHead

We are staying at the Relais des Glaciers from 24th Dec till the 4th jan. We had lunch at the Rascard Frantze in the summer, and I can see what a great place it would be for Christmas. How early did you have to book? (We only formulated our Christmas plan last month- first one away from him and without kids and aged rellies for us!)
snow report
Perty, we booked back in April I think, took the last room they had.
snow report
@Perty, the Rascard is (understandably) doing very well. I anticipate it getting to Mascognaz levels of pre booking, i.e. 18-24 months Shocked

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 30-10-14 22:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
We even have to pre-reserve lunch now Shocked which given the herd of cats I ski with frequently results in disappointment (on the lunch front snowHead )
ski holidays
@lambert, Hi I have booked there on the 4th of Jan too, flying from Bristol so see you there.
ski holidays
We Will be there 18th January . staying at the hotel champoluc again, 5th season there... If you ever stay there ask Bruno for a auger cube in alcohol .. Awesome wink
latest report
@yorkshirelad, I can also recommend bombardinos.

As you're a regular, you should also check out L'Aroula which opened last season if you haven't already. Just off to the left as you come down from Ostafa. Signposted.

Ask Eric for the daily special as he sometimes forgets to mention it leading to us missing out on some rather fine looking lamb chops at the end of last season.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2580748&highlight=frantze#2580748 f'rinstance

excellent.

looking forward to it, where would be a good place for xmas dinner?? we are s/c (much easier with two kids) so are looking forward to sampling the local restaurants Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@iskar, We will be taking NY dinner at Le Sapin. It's one of our favourite restaurants anywhere. Also excellent is l'Essential d'Andreone - he was the chef at our wedding.
ski holidays
Gosh, I would love to go to Champoluc one day.
latest report
@iskar, if you want something more child friendly and simpler, there's a pizzeria underneath Lo Bistrot and reports from last night were that the pizzas are very fine.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Ignore that idiot Murdoch above. He knows nothing and is also 8 years out of date.

Well, that answers one long-standing question - who were you when you were "under an old name" Embarassed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Red Leon, titter Cool
snow conditions
I can recommend the bombardinos ...but only once... proper falling down juice
snow report
That, @yorkshirelad, they are.

Personally I prefer a little hot punch - Mandarino, typically.
snow report
@yorkshirelad, Hi , we are staying at the Hotel Champoluc too, you must like it there. First time for us.
snow conditions
Hi Mike west.
We're flying from Bristol too.Don't forget to set the alarm!!
Don't know why I signed in as "Lambert".I'm alan wood.green ski jacket,red rucksack
With Nick Herndon.
How do I change my username? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Well I'm not Mike West either, It's Mike SWest which was supposed to be short for "Mike from the South West"
ski holidays
Hi Mike,

Nick's not Nick Herndon either!! He's Nick Herborn !!

Only two months now, and first snow forecast in Champoluc this week.
Need to get the legs moving...see you in the airport !!
latest report
We're staying at hotel du Champoluc from 4th January 2015 - flying in from Manchester. This will be 4th trip to Champoluc & 3rd stay in this hotel!! Can't fault the place!! Looking forward to meeting anyone else who'll be there at the same time Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy