Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Question for anyone with experience of travel insurance and off piste skiing. Policy terms and conditions include the following section

"This policy will cover you when you are engaging in the following winter sports on a non-competitive and non-professional basis during your trip when you have paid the additional winter sports premium:
Skiing or snowboarding off-piste (within local ski patrol guidelines)

Even if the appropriate winter sports premium has been paid, the following activities will remain excluded:
Skiing/snowboarding off piste (outside local ski patrol guidelines/ outside recognised and authorised areas)"

If skiing in France/Europe, how on earth does that relate to slack/back country, level 1-5 Avi Risk etc?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Going Downhill, Welcome to snowHeads. There are numerous threads on insurance if you do a search. But, this is typically mealy mouthed broker language. It means nothing In France. Eg - local guidelines, so is Risk 4 too dangerous, risk 3? Passing a barrier would be obviously. There is no such thing in France as recognised and authorised areas, you are either on piste or off piste, period. There are some areas that are not pisted but are only secured between the piste poles, so they are pistes and known as Naturides.

Go with a recognised off piste insurer like MPI, their wording is much more realistic, not surprising as MP is a skier!.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for MPI. Here's their wording:

Many policies either exclude this or limit skiing ‘off piste’ to be with a guide.
It is our view that this is impractical as one can ski ‘off piste’ unwittingly and in certain circumstances it is possible to ski on a ‘pisted’ run which is designated ‘off piste’.
It is due to this type of confusion that we at MPI Brokers have negotiated with underwriters that there is no such exclusion or limitation in this policy. There is, however, a general requirement, common to all insurance, to behave in a sensible manner.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both.

I've actually got BMC Alpine/Ski cover - but this wording is from my girlfriend's annual policy.
I know there's a ski area boundary where the municipality/commune is responsible for rescues - and I've noticed the handwritten signs by lifts in France when the avi risk is 3/4 which say things like 'off-piste not recommended' - but I'm not sure either of these would align very well with those policy words!
I'll probably suggest she gets carre neige with her lift pass for a bit of extra security!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Going Downhill, it is insurance policy waffle intended to confuse you but allow them to wiggle out of claims.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I usually use MPI but their prices have jumped a lot since I last used them. I went with Snowcard for my trip last week - very clear wording. Was cira £32 for a week as I didnt select to add cancellation and a few other items that are covered under my Bank supplied insurance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Look at Asda travel insurance with winter sports cover - covers off piste without a guide. Not meally mouthed and claims seem to be decent. And a lot cheaper than MPI or Snowcard - who are good but now very expensive.

You just need to be a helmet wearer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, The Asda Policy doesn't specifically say Off Piste with/without a Guide "off piste skiing/snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by resort management)". That statement could be questionable - what is safe or not?

Anyone questioned ASDA about the guide/no guide thing?

It does seem to be good value, hence the questions as I might use it next time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BMG, vaguely recollect that it had been confirmed by somebody... anyhow....

I just recalled because I don't wear a helmet I've looked elsewhere and will probably be using multitrip who have confirmed:

Quote:
Hi Layne,

Question 1- Yes skiing off piste without a guide is covered

Question 2- Yes there is no compulsory use of skiing helmets

Question 3- Claims are handled by www.travelclaimsservices.com/Claims

Kind regards,

Darragh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy