Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iceland claims that "All Ski Areas in Alps: High Risk for COVID-19"

Poster: A snowHead
I am due to head to Morzine on 26th March, and I've just seen this posted on Icelandic official website:

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2020/03/10/all_ski_areas_in_alps_high_risk_for_covid_19/

The ski areas defined as high risk areas include all ski areas in Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia. As for Germany, ski areas in southern Bavaria are included, and the affected ski areas in France are Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur and Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes.

Is it likely that other countries will follow the Italian example and shut down the ski season ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 11-03-20 8:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe you could post this in one of the other 20 threads on the same topic? They're spreading faster than the virus atm wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's possible. The COVID-19 situation is fluid. A lot can and will happen with the spread of the virus over the next 7 days. I think countries like Austria and Switz. would think long and hard about shutting down the season early, since it is a big economic driver for those countries.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm currently in Puy St Vincent. We are low risk becuase Italy is shut so no one can get here Smile....only the very determined and they are elsewhere...Probaly less then 100 people skiing today!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No cases within 85km of Morzine yesterday
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
doddsie wrote:
No cases within 85km of Morzine yesterday

Geneva?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
Maybe you could post this in one of the other 20 threads on the same topic? They're spreading faster than the virus atm wink

As above mick_999 not a good way to enter the forum. Makes you look like a spammer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski3 wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

As above mick_999 not a good way to enter the forum. Makes you look like a spammer.

Not at all.

The link goes to a credible source that sets out clearly why the Alps is considered high risk.

Whether the original post is a new thread or should have been posted to an existing thread is debatable.

However I found the information particularly pertinent as we are due to travel to The Alps for Easter - this information adds to my research when considering the risks before the trip.

Had it been buried in another post I may not have found it.

Like many, I fear that the disruption, panic buying, travel bans / restrictions etc. will be far more impactful than the virus itself; that said I don’t fancy a dose of this flu either.

Keep calm, informed and carry on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the post is fine but @mick_999, perhaps you could change the sensationalist title (by editing your first post) to "Iceland says..." etc. etc.).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Read this.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@denfinella, exactly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
denfinella wrote:
I think the post is fine but @mick_999, perhaps you could change the sensationalist title (by editing your first post) to "Iceland says..." etc. etc.).

It has just occurred to me to wonder how much of a skiing industry there is in Iceland?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sasha320, umm, spammy first post? Either spam, or a bit spammy. Iceland well known as a leading purveyor of frozen foods, not skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be spam, shouldn't the post be promoting/selling/scammming?

Welcome to Snowheads Mick.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spam isn't frozen, it's tinned.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@sasha320, umm, spammy first post? Either spam, or a bit spammy. Iceland well known as a leading purveyor of frozen foods, not skiing.

Well, if we have discounted Iceland as a frozen food retailer and there is no vested interest in Iceland diverting skiers from the Alps to their ski industries then the hypotheses made in the first post stand.

Granted the post has a slightly alarmist headline.
snow report
Long time lurker, first "spammy "post ..Apologies to those that I have offended with my lack of message board etiquette Madeye-Smiley
I just posted it, as it was the first "official" declaration of risk in an area that I am hoping to go to and I had searched a lot of the forum and couldn't find any reference to covid-19 dangers in France. I have changed the post title
Still hoping that Portes du Soleil area might be OK, but 2 weeks is a long time in …….
latest report
Idris wrote:
I'm currently in Puy St Vincent. We are low risk because Italy is shut so no one can get here...........

I'm sort of curious as to what's happening up at the frontier at Montgenevre, so as temps are going to be Spring-like today and it's lovely and sunny think I'll cycle up there to see what's actually happening and just how many Italians are driving across and or are the French stopping them?
ski holidays
@mick_999, good 1st post, IMV. I had no problems with the title.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I'm curious about that too.

Of course there is still a risk, regardless of the border status, of cases coming from elsewhere in France and other countries. Though perhaps less in a small resort like PSV.
ski holidays
@mick_999, thanks for changing the title. Don't worry, I don't think many people were offended! wink

Yeah, I don't think anyone really has any idea about what'll happen in 2 weeks time. Can you leave the decision on whether to travel til nearer the time?
snow report
denfinella wrote:
@mick_999, thanks for changing the title. Don't worry, I don't think many people were offended! wink

Yeah, I don't think anyone really has any idea about what'll happen in 2 weeks time. Can you leave the decision on whether to travel til nearer the time?

Unfortunately, it's all paid for already, so the money is gone unless the Irish government label it as a high risk destination and then I'll get something back from the travel insurance ..
Here's hoping ...
snow report
@mick_999, OK. That's a shame, though on the plus side you can wait as long as possible to decide, as there's no incentive to cancel earlier.
snow report
I’m en route to PdS now - which bit are you heading to Swiss or French side?
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I’m en route to PdS now - which bit are you heading to Swiss or French side?

Staying on French side - Morzine, but plan to ski all over ..
latest report
So, for those of you who are out in the Alps, what is it like. For example, The main lift in Less Deux Alpes, the Jandri Express gets busy - many souls in each gondola. Are similar lifts now being avoided? At LDA there are chair lift routes that can get you up much of the mountain. Are similar lifts being more used? What's it like in the pubs? are people 'social distancing themselves, or having a drink in their own rooms? In hotels are people taking extra precautions - are buffets still being served?
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
@Weathercam, I'm curious about that too..

Well was quite amazing didn't see one Italian car coming over the border and down the 12km of road to Briancon as I was cycling up, maybe they're being stopped down in Cesana.

Lady douane at the border told me as yet that they are not stopping Italian reg cars.

And I only saw around 3 or 4 Italian cars parked up at Montgenevre where normally you'd see loads, and those are probably people with places this side of the border.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, thanks. So, sounds like the flow across the border is drastically reduced - which is the point of the lockdown (i.e. to restrict movement and therefore spread, whether within or out of Italy).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
So, for those of you who are out in the Alps, what is it like. For example, The main lift in Less Deux Alpes, the Jandri Express gets busy - many souls in each gondola. Are similar lifts now being avoided? At LDA there are chair lift routes that can get you up much of the mountain. Are similar lifts being more used? What's it like in the pubs? are people 'social distancing themselves, or having a drink in their own rooms? In hotels are people taking extra precautions - are buffets still being served?

Here nothing obviously different, just a little quieter. I've heard circa 25% less visitors to the 'Old Town' part of the city the last weekends. Busy lifts (inc the multi-cabin funicular) last Sunday in Seefeld at least.
snow conditions
@mick_999, Firstly, welcome and please ignore the pedants.

I can see why Iceland are doing this. They had no cases of the C word until a group went skiing in Italy and brought it home. Same goes for Malta - all it took was one family going to Italy skiing. I spoke to a lady from Graz, Austria today - they were OK until lots of Italians fled northern Italy and checked into hotels where they are now quarantined. Lots of Italians went to France too via Frejus and Mt Blanc tunnels. Personally I think we can't be too many days away from when the alps generally is a no go zone. They might try and limp to Easter but after that the only movement for ski lifts will be swinging in the wind.

Italians don't like following rules - the exodus was huge so now there are potentially super spreaders all over the place.
latest report
achilles wrote:

Wengen.
Lifts - 50 in the main cable car instead of the usual 70. Gondola - no change. Queues - no changes. Trains - no changes.
Pubs - no change.
Hotels - One hotel cancelled a live music event last week, only to reinstate it this week. Another is asking people to distance themselves from each other in the residents lounge, but guests seem to take little notice.
Shops - hand sanitiser in the entrance of the Co-op.

So it's pretty much business as usual in the village. Nearby town of Interlaken is a different story. It's normally teeming with tourists, but right now it’s a ghost town.
snow report
@telford_mike, ...sorry....had to do it....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtbe+ghosttown&view=detail&mid=7F105CA3F5AE9E57B0E27F105CA3F5AE9E57B0E2&FORM=VIRE
latest report
@valais2, Laughing
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Idris wrote:
I'm currently in Puy St Vincent. We are low risk because Italy is shut so no one can get here...........

I'm sort of curious as to what's happening up at the frontier at Montgenevre, so as temps are going to be Spring-like today and it's lovely and sunny think I'll cycle up there to see what's actually happening and just how many Italians are driving across and or are the French stopping them?

If you spot the sod from Lombardy that sneezed on me on a gondola there at half term , run him over please. Seriously though, I was interested to know how things are there. There were a great many Italians there and I understand that many of the apartments are Italian-owned. Sounds like the restrictions are working then. Sad for those trying to make a living in Monty
snow report
Montgenevre- you cannot ski over to Italian side or vice versa as lifts not running .

No Italians spotted in Le Monetier les Bains..

I am happy breathing mountain air.
snow report
@bambionskiis, Have a look at this thread

Weathercam cycled up to have a look at the border ..

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3553206&highlight=#3553206
snow conditions
Heavy restrictions placed on European travel to/from the USA.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation
latest report
Les Arcs
We’ve been once before at this time of the season and it seems about the same.
Went over to La Plagne yesterday and it was busy enough, plenty of group lessons going on. The restaurant we went to last night was full by 8pm.
Many Brits here. You wouldn’t know there was a pandemic.
ski holidays
There are hand sanitiser stations showing up at the top of some toilet stairs in Austrian huts. So you can wash your hands, then after touching the stair rails and doors etc you can spray your hands before entering the restaurant area.
ski holidays
@mick_999, no problem with your post at all. Personally I don't think you've broken any guidelines or broached any etiquette issues. I think people are becoming sensitive to an escalating situation. I personally am due to fly to Salzburg this coming Saturday for a week in Gasteinertal and again to Innsbruck on the 11th of April for Obergurgl. Any information is valuable to help you make a decision.Things are escalating very quickly we might cancel our imminent trip. There is a cobra meeting today and will cancel late Friday depending developments over the next couple of days. Don't want to be stuck in a hotel for 14 days and then not being able to travel home.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy