Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DC board boots

Poster: A snowHead
Any good ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IncogSkiSno, yes they are. But all depends on foot shape etc.... OH has them and says they are really comfortable. I tried some womens ones when I was buying and didnt like the fit.

Are you thinking of coming over to the dark side Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
debbi, Laughing I tried and failed on the darkside, but you never know, maybe I shall try real snow next time round Laughing

I have found some DC snowboard boots for £60 for my 23 yr old son, who has size 11 feet - we can return them if they aren't any good . My son says they are really comfy, with lots of padding. They look good too, they are DC Cougars - he has been snowboarding for 8 years now and mainly boards on-piste, with a little off-piste and park. I don'tthink these boots are park specific, but I could be wrong, could you ask your fella what he thinks of these please, he doesn't want beginner boots, but how do you tell ?

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, sweet looking boots. Very retro. Cool

While trawling websites etc, the DC boots come out as highly underrated, along with Vans. Seems the skater boys can also make good boarding boots
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Specialman, cheers Very Happy BTW did you manage to get booked for Tignes ?

Hmm, he also will need new bindings to go with his new Rome Flag board, and as my other two sprogs have flows and he is tempted with these as they are off and running whilst he is still fiddling with his bindings, but I hear so much stuff from hardcore snowboarders that they wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

I know this subject rears its ugly head every season.

so go flow

or not

this is the question ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno wrote:
so go flow

?

No
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IncogSkiSno wrote:
Any good ?

I had some for a few years (DC Phase). They were pretty good. Kept them for a few years, until I replaced them with a pair of Vans with the Boa system. The Boa system is much easier to use with a 'cloudy' head. Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, No - is not good enough, you have to ellaborate why, 'no' Toofy Grin

Lager, thanks Very Happy

Anyway, how do you tell a beginner boot apart from an expert boot, apart from how much they cost? These boots seem to be originally about a mid-price range Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IncogSkiSno, because it rhymes. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, seriously as you say this comes up every season and people fall into two distinct camps and it seems to come down to ease of use being the main for and a loss of feel being the main against. IMO the speed of clipping in doesn't matter as it hardly takes more than a few seconds to clip up some ratchets anyway, however, I'm not really anti-flow: just happy with my own setup.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, FLows look URGH !!!!

I have to agree with Lager, Boa systems are much easier & quicker to do up. Both myself and my OH have boas.

But at the end of the day its down to personal choice
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swirly wrote:
IncogSkiSno, seriously as you say this comes up every season and people fall into two distinct camps and it seems to come down to ease of use being the main for and a loss of feel being the main against. IMO the speed of clipping in doesn't matter as it hardly takes more than a few seconds to clip up some ratchets anyway, however, I'm not really anti-flow: just happy with my own setup.

I'd also add that being pack animals means that the speed of strapping in doesn't really matter to boarders anyway. By the time everybody has decided where to go, put piste maps away, put gloves back on, taken a couple of pictures, pulled their trousers up again, etc, etc, the time taken to strap in pales into insignificance.

Of course perhaps the group I board with are the exception and every other group of boarders is an efficient highly tuned machine and the extra 30 seconds it takes any laggard to strap in, is bitterly resented.

I guess you could say I'm in the straps (particularly capstraps) camp.

A good guide to whether something is for beginners or more advanced riders is price. You need to remortgage slightly less often when you are buying beginners gear.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, no, not yet. The missus wants us to go away for a week instead so currently weighing up Les Arcs/La Plagne or somewhere in Canada like Banff.

On the Flow subject, here's my honest opnion:

Bought some cheap strap bindings as part of a full set-up off ebay and they were okay but I just never felt that they held me in correctly. Rented some during my first week's boarding to see If I was getting a bum deal but the ones I rented (think they were Salomons, brand new out of the box mind you) didn't feel much better.

At the same time my mates had rented brand-new Flows and they loved em.

Next trip I rented Flow AMP 5s and from the first time I clipped in without having to thread straps through clip and ratchet them tight, I was sold. I now use Flow Elevens and they were the best investment for me so far. I used to get pissed off sat ont he ground getting strapped in but now it's just a case of stepping in, pulling the high back up and heading down the hill.

I know some peole say "what do a few seconds matter when you have all day on the slopes?" when it coems to the time saved with Flows, but I just feel so much more positive with Flows. Suppose it's phsycological.

I just think they support me better, offer much more room for my big clompers, are more adjustable and are easier to set up - once you've got them sorted you never have to worry if you ahve the right fit. With strappies I was always asking myself if I've tightened them too much (or too little) and then I'd convince myself they were wrong and have to stop to sort it. I don't have this with Flows.

The other reason to buy them, contrary to what debbi says is they look awesome. The new black/orange ones are sweet as a peach!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

But that's just my opinion....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Specialman, Thanks - how long have you been boarding for ?
latest report
Specialman, you window licker you wink
snow report
debbi, Very Happy Very Happy

IncogSkiSno, a year now. Done two weeks in France and seem to have spent half my life at MK through the summer!!
snow conditions
...BUMP...
Advice on boots.
I have done north of 500 days boarding, and the second set of boots I have owned are nearing end of life.
As the season has 7 weeks to go, offers are starting to crop up for kit.
I would like to get some new boots and maybe break them in for the last few days this season.
Currently I have Northwave which are soft, warm and comfy as carpet slippers.
I recently tried a pair of Burton Rulers, but did not find them especially comfy, and some DC shoes boots (can remember the model).
I normally freeride, but use piste ( with side jibs and butters) to get between spots, and have the occasional forays into the parks.
I have Mission bindings using the EST channel, and Burton do make a big thing about how their boots are optimised to ride on EST bindings (whatever).
I don't know what the "Flex" is of my trusty old Northwaves, but I'd say low-middling.
I'm pretty happy with my riding so am not looking for boots to make me a better boarder ( that comes through lessons and practise).
I see boots which pitch themselves at intermidiot + and are firmer than "beginner" boots, and have a higher price point.
Is it really worth paying extra for less comfy boots?
And can anybody recommend some boots who's discounted price is sub 200 quid? ( I don't mind 2016-> models ...so long as they're not pre-owned)
snow report
I know people tend to recommend what they own but I have 32 Lashed Bradshaw and they are so comfortable the fit (for me) is excellent.

I tried Northwave once but found them too low in the calf and not quite as supportive as the 32s.

The shell of the 32s comes up a little larger than others but I use them on last seasons Burton Missions (size large 9+) and they fit well.
snow conditions
@James77, Thanks - I bought some 32-Lashed for one of my sons at Christmas, they are 1/2 a size too big for me, but I might have a sneaky ride in them this weekend as he is off at Uni. Didn't occur to me that the answer might be right under my nose Smile
latest report
Surprising what a small difference in size can make.
I think you can get half sizes?
Worth a try anyway.
snow conditions
Just my thoughts on boot stiffness, I prefer all my kit on the stiffer side and have ended up in Salomon Malumutes. These are the stiffest boots Salomon make but also happen to be the most comfortable I have ever tried. The softest I've owned were some Burtons that hurt like hell.
snow report
@Snow Hound, I am perfectly happy to try stiff ( though not Alpine ) boots, and if I can find some to try will see what they're like. I don't think the stiffness puts me off, but the felt Burtons too small even though the size was correct. ( I think it's that, shrunken shell thing they do).
It's the price point that puts me off the Malamuts.
I know I should be trying stuff on, but the 2 issues have against I dogging round the shops of Morzine trying on boots, are that I'd rather be out riding, and that most places don't let you go and ride them, so you only know how warm and comfy they are walking up and down the route du Bourg - which is a poor indicator of what they'll be like to live with.
I have never had issues with the boots I have bought online, and I know that you can send them back, so I am happy to take a bit of a punt.
snow report
@WindOfChange, Just to echo @James77, above, I use 32s, as they work really well for my feet. I've got slightly weird flat feet (sounds great like that eh), and found previous boots were causing me foot ache, but am now on my second pair of them, due to how well they work for me. I guess the short answer is "try different boots as much as you can", but you'll know that anyway Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm gonna try my sons 32 Lashed on Saturday.
An hour on the hill is worth 8 in the shop.
.... if all else fails I'll probably end up with Northwave Decades, as I know they'll be comfy as Smile
snow report
Generally stiffer boots last a bit longer - keep the flex better.

Been in the market myself lately, can’t get on with burton, usually ride Salomon malamute or synapse, have found the dc judge to be a candidate. The t rice model was nice but pretty soft, definitely not stiff like dc say.
ski holidays
Those DC Judge look nice, and are in budget:
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/DC_Judge_Boa_Snowboard_Boots_UK_8_Brown_2019-(189536)

If I can find some in a shop in Morzine who'll let me try them, then I would be tempted.
I tried the DC Control, and they were OK, but I still prefer my knackered old NWs.

Absolute only has the Synapse in BIG sizes in the sale, otherwise its 300 sheets.
If I get get on with the Lashed 32, I'll probably buy some of those, but if not I a tempted to take a punt on those Judges.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, do you live in PDS?
It's my dream (that will never happen) to live in the alps get out of the avis of evil, home, school run, office. That's no way to live!
To say I'm jealous is a massive understatement.
Been to les Gets many time and always thought it would be a good spot to live easily accessible and decent hills too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@James77, Yes, we have lived here over 15 years now.
Like you we wanted to escape the rat race, and upped sticks while the kids were very young (2,4,5)
There's loads of challenges along the way, but I'm sure there are too in the UK, only different ones Smile
I know a few ex-pats who live in Les Gets, but there seem to be far more in Morzine and down the valley in St Jean and even Le Biot.
If you want to live there - just do it. There's lots of work around.
ski holidays
Quote:

@James77, Yes, we have lived here over 15 years now.
Like you we wanted to escape the rat race, and upped sticks while the kids were very young (2,4,5)
There's loads of challenges along the way, but I'm sure there are too in the UK, only different ones
I know a few ex-pats who live in Les Gets, but there seem to be far more in Morzine and down the valley in St Jean and even Le Biot.
If you want to live there - just do it. There's lots of work around.

What an amazing leap of faith. Presumably I'd need to brush up on my french first? Definitely something to look at sooner rather than later my kids are 7 and 4 and great to know it's possible.
I'm an accountant, which I'd love not to be for the rest of my working life. I'd need to find a steady line of work that can provide for the family.
I'll get on with some research.
snow report
@James77, I rode the 32 lashed on Saturday for 7 hours.
They were comfy, had firm hold, minimal heel lift and had good feedback.
On Sunday I rode a pair of 2019 Decades for 5 hours.
The heel system felt a bit "pinchy" but solid, but the feel with the board, sharpness of response and overall comfort has confirmed me as a Northwave fanboy.
It could just be cos I've used Northwave for the last 8 years, that the new Decades floated my boat.
Ordered some last night Smile
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
@James77, I rode the 32 lashed on Saturday for 7 hours.
They were comfy, had firm hold, minimal heel lift and had good feedback.
On Sunday I rode a pair of 2019 Decades for 5 hours.
The heel system felt a bit "pinchy" but solid, but the feel with the board, sharpness of response and overall comfort has confirmed me as a Northwave fanboy.
It could just be cos I've used Northwave for the last 8 years, that the new Decades floated my boat.
Ordered some last night Smile

Great, you know you've made the right decision.
Love receiving new shiny things.
ski holidays
James77 wrote:
Love receiving new shiny things.

Hopefully get them before Saturday Smile
Funnily enough my son (owner of the lashed 32, only done 150 days but probably better than me now) tried my old Northwaves last season, and said "Dad how can you ride in those slippers", so it might just be that better riders prefer the Lashed 32s, and crusty old gimmers like me prefer the squidyness of the Northwaves.
snow report
@WindOfChange, why didn't you start a new thread? Just wasted 5 mins reading from 2007 bruv!
latest report
@Gainz, I am not clever enough.
But it gave you the chance to reminisce about those old DC Cougars Smile
latest report
I tried a lot og different shoes, but still can't say which are the best, it really depends on person...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy