Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aosta resorts shut

Poster: A snowHead
Just heard that all Aosta valley resort lifts are to be shut, including Skyway Montebianco, from tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.montebianco.com/en
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I heard that Courmayeur was closing, but from an unverified source. Customers trying to relocate from Courmayeur to Chamonix!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It looks as if la Thuile is closing on Monday. I wonder if they'll station border police on the petite st Bernard
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
It looks as if la Thuile is closing on Monday. I wonder if they'll station border police on the petite st Bernard

Where did you hear this? I’m meant to be heading back out there at Easter Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is posted on their website .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@fallLine54, look at the banner announcement at https://www.lathuile.it/en/index.html

You have 5 weeks until Easter. They may open again. I hope so.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
@fallLine54, look at the banner announcement at https://www.lathuile.it/en/index.html

You have 5 weeks until Easter. They may open again. I hope so.

Thanks very much for the info - a real shame but fingers crossed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just recieved email from our hotel in Courmayer. Shutting up shop for the forseeable future. Gutted.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mate has a place at Entreves, right by the SkyWay, he 's out there most weekends, and this week he's there all week with his OH, so looks like touring for them then!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Over 7300 cases in Italy now, they've pretty much doubled in two days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fcuk, 133 dead last day, crushing china like they were playing football
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Esprit have just tweeted that Aosta is shut down and all future holidays cancelled to! This could really hurt some companies on the edge that won’t recover
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob_Quads wrote:
Esprit have just tweeted that Aosta is shut down and all future holidays cancelled to! This could really hurt some companies on the edge that won’t recover
Interski and Ski2 due to take large numbers of school kids at Easter. Hopefully, schools will be able to claim on insurance now that the resorts are closing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is this an order or does it just not make economic sense to stay open?
latest report
https://appweb.regione.vda.it/dbweb/Comunicati.nsf/ElencoNotizie_ita/ECCF17CFF18BA2B9C1258525003F893D?OpenDocument&l=ita&

It's an order.
snow conditions
bigger part of infected people in Iceland came from skiing holidays in Italy.
ski holidays
Monterosa Facebook says they are closed for the season from tomorrow.
ski holidays
BASI have cancelled all their courses in the region, which is hardly suprising, however what is perhaps interesting is this from their statement, which seems to suggest they have info that this is for the season, not just a week or so.
"The Italian authorities have already placed Lombardy under quarantine; however, we have now been made aware that all ski resorts in the Aosta Valley will close their lifts with immediate effect until the end of April. The rationale, as we understand it, is that authorities are concerned by the volume of people travelling north of Lombardy and the impact this may have upon contamination and further spread across Europe."
(emphasis mine)

https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Statement_for_BASI_Courses_Planned_for_Italy_in_March.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3mX1C_wmrge7ybPbTfXfkS18OKf9ElhnwuMGrcGjoQVGjDr4mg5GEr7YU
snow report
La Rosière have just announced that they understand La Thuile will close for the season. Not sure who runs those lifts in the Petit St Bernard valley.
latest report
I think most of them are in Italy
snow report
Just been nagging to my mate who is in Entreves (Skyway lift) which is right by Mont Blanc tunnel entrance (Italian side) close to Courmayer and he says the locals are up in arms as they've had no say in the desicion.
snow report
imagine having a shop of stock still. Im guessing the Italian government will be giving some sort of compensation payments to businesses and local labour
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Just been nagging to my mate who is in Entreves (Skyway lift) which is right by Mont Blanc tunnel entrance (Italian side) close to Courmayer and he says the locals are up in arms as they've had no say in the desicion.

What sort of locals and are they qualified or have the authority to make this sort of decision?
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I know it will at least be a couple of guides.

Thing is Entreves and the Skyway is not a ski resort as such.

Anyway I'm merely repeating what he said and he's on the ground and has been there three seasons.
ski holidays
Rob_Quads wrote:

Hopefully Interski will stay around, as Aosta is where they go to
snow report
I know it's different region and just posted this in the ongoing thread but that has been developing quickly.

Dolomites are done as well:

DOLOMITES SKI RESORTS TO CLOSE

Dolomiti Superski, in agreement with the major entities and in coordination with the political authorities, has decided to end the current ski season.

Here are the details from the ski area:

“This in consideration of the rapid spread of the coronavirus in the Italian territory and the potential risks of tourists, staff and local population in all the ski areas served by its lifts and in order to preserve first of all the health and tranquility of all.”

Resorts affected are Plan de Corones, Alta Badia, Val Gardena / Alpe di Siusi, Val di Fassa /Carezza, Arabba / Marmolada, 3 Cime Dolomiti, Val di Fiemme / Obereggen, San Martino di Castrozza Passo Rolle, Rio Pusteria - Bressanone, Alpe Lusia / San Pellegrino, Civetta.
The closure will take place by tomorrow, Tuesday, March 10, 2020, in order to allow an orderly return of the tourists currently hosted.

“We are extremely sorry to have to take this absolutely exceptional decision, but we believe that this step is of fundamental importance to stem as far as possible even in our territories with a very high tourist density, the rapid spread of the Corona virus,” said the ski area in a statement.

“We would like to thank all the skiers we have hosted in our ski areas during this season and we hope to welcome them back soon in the Dolomites."
ski holidays
Was thinking about this earlier. So what happens if you have your own place out there and you want to get to it? As some regions they are actually trying to say, no one out or in.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jafa wrote:
Was thinking about this earlier. So what happens if you have your own place out there and you want to get to it? As some regions they are actually trying to say, no one out or in.

Surely if the lifts were shut there wouldn't be much point in going ( if you are a skier )
snow report
What? I don't just go to my place for the skiing. I actually enjoy just going there to chill out and ski sometimes etc . Especially if this goes on for months, after the slopes are closed. What then? Fortunately, at the moment, the Tirol isn't closed. But Id be well peed off if they said, No , you cant in theory, come home, until they say so.
latest report
jafa wrote:

That would be regions subject to formal public health quarantine measures only - currently (I stress currently) just some of northern Italy and not necessarily including all of the closed resorts.
As such, you are currently free to come and go as you please, as much as any residents are, subject to policies of national or local governments in the countries involved. UK FCO advice applies to people returning to the UK from these or other regions, and may change.
If a region is under formal quarantine then, yes, it's either no-one in, or in and stay in (or maybe out but stay out). Kind of the point of quarantine (though not exactly being applied Eyam-style, so I gather).
snow report
dw832 wrote:
Rob_Quads wrote:
Interski and Ski2 due to take large numbers of school kids at Easter. Hopefully, schools will be able to claim on insurance now that the resorts are closing.

I don't get that. Surely if the travel company can't fulfill on a holiday it has been paid for (school or otherwise) it has to refund on that, the customer (school or otherwise) shouldn't need to claim on insurance. The only insurance I see should be involved would be some form of insurance the operator had taken in order to cover themselves for force majeure.

Yes, I do have some skin in this game as have laid out £1400'ish for my daughter to go to Livigno at Easter with school.

Happy to be corrected if I see it wrong.

The other strong possibility I guess is operators shutting up shop as they are going to get rinsed, but then it would be an ABTA job not insurance.
snow report
BTW I'm not daft and do realise Livigno is not in the Aosta, but the question is relevant anyway.
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:
dw832 wrote:
Rob_Quads wrote:

I don't get that. Surely if the travel company can't fulfill on a holiday it has been paid for (school or otherwise) it has to refund on that, the customer (school or otherwise) shouldn't need to claim on insurance. The only insurance I see should be involved would be some form of insurance the operator had taken in order to cover themselves for force majeure.

Yes, I do have some skin in this game as have laid out £1400'ish for my daughter to go to Livigno at Easter with school.

The other strong possibility I guess is operators shutting up shop as they are going to get rinsed, but then it would be an ABTA job not insurance.

I wonder in Force Majeur would remove them of the obligation to refund, though? They may choose not to enforce it, of course (in terms of looking at long term reputational damage etc), but I suspect they'd be covered in that sense if they chose to.
ski holidays
porkpiefox wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
dw832 wrote:
Rob_Quads wrote:

I wonder in Force Majeur would remove them of the obligation to refund, though? They may choose not to enforce it, of course (in terms of looking at long term reputational damage etc), but I suspect they'd be covered in that sense if they chose to.

Don't see how. Force Majeur clauses in contracts stop compensation or liquidated damages kicking in, but you can't keep money you've been paid for a service you fail to provide.
snow report
Unless I'm wrong.......which I may well be.
snow conditions
Most will be under no obligation to refund anything. That is what travel insurance is for, and they will no doubt remind you of that. The problem for many may be that, while the lifts are closed, technically UK Govt is not saying "you must not travel", so the insurance won't pay.

This is not going to go well I think, but consider this... if it takes hold, most people take holidays. If the insurance industry had to recompense everyone then how do they afford it? And what happens to future premiums? There is no magic money tree.
ski holidays
jafa wrote:

As I mentioned above this, a good friend who has his place in Entreves right by the Skyway lift has the option of either touring or driving through the tunnel to Chamonix which is what they did yesterday, and he'll be doing more of the same all this coming week.

So if you have a place in Aosta you can still get to it, but for sure for circa 90% of skiers the options are limited.

Hence all the Italians from Turin will now go to Via Lattea and even here, which is what they do anyway!
snow report
ChrisKernow wrote:
Most will be under no obligation to refund anything. That is what travel insurance is for, and they will no doubt remind you of that. The problem for many may be that, while the lifts are closed, technically UK Govt is not saying "you must not travel", so the insurance won't pay.

This is not going to go well I think, but consider this... if it takes hold, most people take holidays. If the insurance industry had to recompense everyone then how do they afford it? And what happens to future premiums? There is no magic money tree.

Is that the case. I'm not saying it isn't, but it seems to defy logic to me.

If you booked and paid for a theatre show. Then the day before the show the venue burned down after a lightning strike. The surely whilst the theatre did nothing wrong (and you would be entitled to no compensation) you would be entitled to a refund on the ticket.

I'ld assumed that in this case: the group can no longer travel via Bergamo airport (as it is in the travel ban area (so no one in), they could not travel into Livigno (as it is in the travel ban area) and anyway it's shut. I presume the ski school and hotel are also shut. So the TO has to turn round to the school and say they cannot provide the trip they have taken payment for and so they have to refund.

If not then I guess it will be insurance as now the FCO is advising against all but essential into the areas.
snow conditions
I was under the impression ABTA and ATOL were related to package company failure and were no longer able to proceed with booked holidays. If a company is forced to cancel, such as in this instance, I think that's holiday insurance related (unfortunately).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy