Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aosta resorts shut

Poster: A snowHead
@James77, I only mentioned ABTA as I reckon a number of operators would fold if they were obliged to refund.

I've checked our insurance and we appear to be covered despite a couple of arbitrary timelines the policy inserts for no apparent reason, which we fortunately seem to meet.

BUT I come back to: Why should insurance company have to cover it if a live trading business is not supplying the good/service they have been paid for.

If I was going on a cruise next week (not likely, never fancied one):

1 - I fall and break my back (not my fault, but my responsibility) > no cruise > I claim on my insurance.
BUT
2 - The ship sinks in port (maybe not he cruise lines fault, but it's responsibility) > no cruise > a refund from them to me, not a claim on my insurance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@midgetbiker, Has the school explicitly been told that they won't be refunded? FWIW (not much, then) I'm with you on the insurance perspective. I'd be looking to claim in the instance that, say, I'd booked my flights and hotel separately but the hotel was closed (refund there then), but the flights were still operating but were essentially now useless to me.

Interested to see how it works out – we generally don't hold travel insurance, so have held off booking anything for the time being. The one trip we do have booked is currently just for a gig ticket and a cheap flight. If the gig gets cancelled, I expect we'll be refunded for that and can afford to risk binning the flight. We'll sort the hotel a couple of days out to limit exposure.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet wrote:
@midgetbiker, Has the school explicitly been told that they won't be refunded? FWIW (not much, then) I'm with you on the insurance perspective. I'd be looking to claim in the instance that, say, I'd booked my flights and hotel separately but the hotel was closed (refund there then), but the flights were still operating but were essentially now useless to me.

Interested to see how it works out – we generally don't hold travel insurance, so have held off booking anything for the time being. The one trip we do have booked is currently just for a gig ticket and a cheap flight. If the gig gets cancelled, I expect we'll be refunded for that and can afford to risk binning the flight. We'll sort the hotel a couple of days out to limit exposure.

For the cost of insurance I don’t see why anyone would risk travelling without it. I’d be interested to know what cover you have in place for medical needs ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Corduroy, Most of my trips cross-border are by car, so limited risk of lost luggage etc. I have an EHIC, Austrian Alpine Club and ÖAMTC insurance which between them cover medical, accident, breakdown etc. We usually book hotels last minute. I will take out single trip cover for trips with more exposure risk like NZ.

Additionally: I do technically have a travel insurance policy with my bank account like many people do, but as I am aware that it's not worth the paper it's written on, it doesn't count.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, no, the school hasn't said anything yet. I'm just speculating.

I just was surprised when insurance was the first recourse suggested, though like I say we have it if needed.

A couple of weeks ago I got windy about the trip, and as I was supposed to be driving to Bergamo to pick her up and drive her back to Chx (whilst the rest of the girls flew back to UK) I thought I'ld look and see what a flight to GVA would cost her.

A quick look at Jet2 came back with the answer..........£12! So I grabbed that and decided I could 'self insure' if she didn't need it Very Happy

Still, 3 weeks from now maybe no one will be going anywhere!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarlet wrote:
Additionally: I do technically have a travel insurance policy with my bank account like many people do, but as I am aware that it's not worth the paper it's written on, it doesn't count.

Ermm............why?? It's a packaged policy I'm relying on, NatWest Black.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
midgetbiker wrote:
A quick look at Jet2 came back with the answer..........£12! So I grabbed that and decided I could 'self insure' if she didn't need it Very Happy

Are you feeling alright? That kind of behaviour is quite out of character for a Yorkshireman such as yourself.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Supplemented by Allianz AssurSport for off piste, glacial, mountain biking, etc. Before anyone starts fretting about my lack of cover. Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, rush of blood to the head. had to have a lie down after, obviously.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
and a cup of tea
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
midgetbiker wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

Ermm............why?? It's a packaged policy I'm relying on, NatWest Black.

For mine, I think we have to book the entire trip on the same (debit) card to be covered. Inevitably, bits are booked with credit cards or different bank accounts to save on currency conversions and things like that. Your policy may well be sound.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, I do a similar thing to you, Carte Neige (Optimum) plus bank account policy, always drive out.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rjs, nope, that's a similar thing to me, @Scarlet goes down the 'self insured' route on the 'holiday' bit, but then has the sport bit covered (like we both do).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My Swiss resident neighbour (though he lives in France, and is Irish) reckons his compulsory Swiss accident and injury policy covers him whilst skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A few posts on the general corona virus thread suggest refund is the run of things for regular packages (schools may be different I guess).
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:
My Swiss resident neighbour (though he lives in France, and is Irish) reckons his compulsory Swiss accident and injury policy covers him whilst skiing.

It probably does. It seems much easier to get mountain sport cover out here than in the UK, because everybody does it all the time and mountain guides etc are rarely involved. TBH I think we're probably double covered for that because I bought the ÖAV policy a fair while before the ÖAMTC one, which we got for the European breakdown cover (don't want to have to pay for a flatbed all the way from France!) but they also run the rescue helis so their policy covers that too. Feels wrong to cancel Alpine cover when we live in the Alps though!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 9-03-20 16:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
midgetbiker wrote:
Supplemented by Allianz AssurSport for off piste, glacial, mountain biking, etc. Before anyone starts fretting about my lack of cover. Shocked

What covers you for passing out in a random dude's driveway in sub zero temps? Asking for a friend. wink
ski holidays
The kindness of strangers.
snow report
jafa wrote:
Was thinking about this earlier. So what happens if you have your own place out there and you want to get to it? As some regions they are actually trying to say, no one out or in.
If the local authorities say you cannot go then you have two choices:- 1) You don't go. 2) You go and risk the wrath of those local authorities if caught.
snow report
jafa wrote:
Was thinking about this earlier. So what happens if you have your own place out there and you want to get to it? As some regions they are actually trying to say, no one out or in.
Brush up by watching the Great Escape and ensure your Bonneville has spiked tyres.
snow conditions
Well stunned. We came back from Pila on Saturday via Turin. No issues or hassle, just quiet.
Then they shut the resort for the rest of the season on Sunday night.

So sad for the small businesses
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy