Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it like riding a bike?? ***UPDATE***

Poster: A snowHead
I went on a couple of ski trips in my teens and early twenties, so (cough) 20 odd years ago. Had about a dozen lessons on dry slope before my first trip, and a weeks worth of ski-school. By the end I was comforatably skiiing down the blues and managing quite well on the reds. No time on the snow since.

I'm booked in next friday at MK for a lesson with my wife, who has never ski'd before. Need to make sure she is going to like it before we book a family trip for next Easter.

My question is, should I expect to remember how to do it, or am I likely to be effectively a complete beginner? Just trying to manage my own expectation.

Also, I now wear glasses, which I never did when I was younger. Do fellow speccies wear them whilst skiing, or are contact a better option?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 6-03-20 18:39; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@suffolkski, yes, you fall over a bit Very Happy

Seriously I has a 27 year break in my skiing career between the ages of 44 and 71. I was a bit apprehensive as I got off the first chairlift but I instinctively did a snowplough turn and that calmed the nerves. Like you my earlier skiing was done before I needed glasses but I found I managed fine using a visor helmet.

I find I am much less brave than I was and I have benefited from having lessons to take advantage of modern equipment.

Good luck Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How fat and weak and unfit are you?

Power and strength make all the difference after 30yo.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@suffolkski, i skied three time by the age of 18 and then had a 30 year break.......kids.....mortgages.....etc...........and came back to skiing at 48........just like riding a bike, you'll be fine......within a couple of hours you'll be up to speed....although lessons are always advised.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @Rabbie and @gazzaredcruiser,

I'm booked on the absolute beginner course at MK with the Mrs, and plan to have a few more lessons and lots of slope time before we go next year.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just like riding a bike.

It may feel a bit unsteady, a bit rusty. But you'll remember how to do it right away.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gien a few hours you will pick it all up again, though the skis are different so turns will be easier.

As for skiing in specs, a helmet with OTG (over glasses goggles) are fine, but you have potential for both sets of lenses misting up.A no fog cloth works well to wipe the lenses with. I personally wear contacts when skiing, though then have to carry reading glasses as I prefer to wear sunglasses
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skis are very different so you might just as well start at the beginning. No more up and down to turn.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks @skitech

my sight is fine close up, its mid and long distance i struggle with, i normally wear glasses most of the time but dont need them specifically for reading.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@suffolkski, My anticipation is that you'll be fine standing up and doing the basics but a. 20 years is a long time anyway, and b. kit and technique has moved on a lot.

So...

You won't feel like a complete beginner (I don't think) but you may be surprised at how things have changed - massively for the better.

One question, are you hiring boots? Just be aware that at some indoor slopes the boots are really of shocking quality... I would almost find somewhere else to hire from and take them in...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@suffolkski,
Quote:
Is it like riding a bike??
Better!
But skis have changed a bit over the last 20 years, and technique has as well. So we don't try to ride with our legs glued together any more, and the old thing of unweighting into the turn has also changed a bit. After a couple of lessons you will find that parabolic (carving) skis are brilliant and infinitely better than the old straight ones. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@suffolkski, My anticipation is that you'll be fine standing up and doing the basics but a. 20 years is a long time anyway, and b. kit and technique has moved on a lot.

So...

You won't feel like a complete beginner (I don't think) but you may be surprised at how things have changed - massively for the better.

One question, are you hiring boots? Just be aware that at some indoor slopes the boots are really of shocking quality... I would almost find somewhere else to hire from and take them in...

Boots, skis, helmet and poles come with the lesson, so will be at the mercy of the Snozone boot room I'm afraid.

Does that go for hired boots in resort as well, or do they tend to be of a better standard. Whilst I;m happy to take what we're given for a first lesson, if it's a hit with Mrs Suffolkski, (which I think it might be), it may be an option to buy some for future lessons and the trip next year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had a 30 year gap & I was really surprised how easily I picked it up again. They seem to want to ski differently now though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@suffolkski, I can’t speak for everywhere but there are definitely shops in Chamonix, Morzine, Champoluc, Murren, where you can hire boots of very good fit and quality. That list is only limited by me not having to hire boots since 40 years ago, so is only based on observation!

In the fridge I would expect the boots to be comfortable enough, by dint of being so voluminous that your feet will hardly touch the sides. So control inputs will be somewhat attenuated ...

Re specs, I’ve always worn contacts. A chum spent years and a small fortune trying to find a goggle over spec solution and failed dismally.

Another chum has one of the visored helmets which seems to work well.

Modern daily contacts are so thin that you need little or no adaptation and might be handy for other sports. I’d pop into an optician...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I change my HGP contacts for daily disposibles for skiing. About 75p a day and very comfy.
ski holidays
I'm short-sighted and can't comfortably wear contact lenses (I have very dry eyes, and with every contact lens I've ever tried, they stay dry enough in at least one eye that I can feel them at all times). However, I use OTG goggles with my glasses with no problem at all. I have a couple of pairs of Smith OTG goggles (two different models) and I have no problem with them except the occasional bit of fogging if I get particularly overheated, but that goes away once I'm on the move. I don't find them problematic at all.
snow report
@suffolkski,
Quote:

Is it like riding a bike??

Yes, but in the same way that bikes have changed in 20 years skis have changed possibly even more. Balance memory will help but in order to get the best just pretend to yourself that you have never skied before and then be pleased when you progress quickly.

As for glasses, it pays to be able to see when skiing. OTG goggles are probably best to start with, various ways to go after that, regular goggles with prescription inserts, wear normal glasses under helmet with visor, on nice sunny days may not even need glasses or photochromic cycling sunglasses with prescription inserts.
snow report
My guess is that after a slightly wobbly start, it will come back better than you think. Get a Private lesson or two, to help bring back the muscle memory and point out the differences to maximise the use of Carving Skis.

Any rustiness and possible lack of fitness, should be more than offset by how much easier the current breed of skis are.
snow conditions
Despite what some other people have said, all the old techniques are valid on new skis, it's just the optimal blend of techniques is different, you use some of them a lot less and some of them a lot more. But given you were an early intermediate before, I think you'll find that everything you knew before will be helpful but lessons will be really valuable.
snow report
suffolkski wrote:
Boots, skis, helmet and poles come with the lesson, so will be at the mercy of the Snozone boot room I'm afraid

Does that go for hired boots in resort as well, or do they tend to be of a better standard. Whilst I;m happy to take what we're given for a first lesson, if it's a hit with Mrs Suffolkski, (which I think it might be), it may be an option to buy some for future lessons and the trip next year.

I found resort boot hire of reasonable standard. Of the few instances I had to hire, I was able to find something fitting close to "functional", albeit not as good as my own.

If either of you have trouble finding good fits from Snozone, it maybe an indication one of your feet are less "standard". That maybe motivation to buy your own. But some people are luckier than others. They easily find boots that fit reasonably well.
snow conditions
@suffolkski, Like others I use my own boots in resort, but what what I've seen when introducing beginners or only occasional skiers, the hire quality has improved significantly these past few years. They also take some time with a boot fitter.

The same CANNOT be said for fridges.
I was at the Snowheads tests in the Autumn (personal boots left in resort) and the range on offer was truly grim. I changed out 3 times, both in the changing room and after a couple of runs on the hill, and still wasn't totally comfortable or felt in control even with the 4th pair.

Don't let yourself be fobbed off with the first pair they give you (at least two of mine were mis-labelled). If you don't touch the sides, or alternatively find your toes are squashed, or even on max buckle your calves are sloshing around, go change them. They are not slippers, true, but neither are they supposed to be instruments of torture.

Of course it may be with kit being supplied with your lesson, the instructor will first instruct you on what a 'good boot fit' should feel like. That'd be really nice. Or you could ask them for advice - ideally in the boot room before getting to the slope. It is a dark art explaining to someone who has never put boots on what they are supposed to feel like.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone, great info as usual. Really is a great resource for know-nothing beginners planning a first family trip.

Just wish we could go this Easter!!!
snow report
@suffolkski Like riding a bike? Some years ago, I came back to skiing after a 20+ year break having had 3 weeks in my teens. I may have exaggerated my prowess to my then GF (who had a few years more under her skis), so I was very nervous on day 1 at Kleine Scheidegg in Wengen but hey, I thought, just cruise off on a flattish blue and it'll be fine, Im sure it will come back to me enough to style it out ... well, the reality was a steep drop in (ok maybe only 6-8 feet down, but steep to me) with the other 150 people who'd just got off the train with us watching on (in my head, at least, of course no-one was actually bothered)... anyhow, I steeled myself for a public display of incompetence and launched myself down the slope... fortunately to my delight and saving my general dignity, I made the first turn without mishap and off we went towards Grindelwald. However, my lack of technique was made apparent to me after a day or two as every muscle in my lower legs was screaming at me and I had an odd bruise on my shins, but overall the week went well and we managed a trip down the Lauberhorn race-course (after a gluhwein) a few days in. Several years later GF is now Mrs L so I cant have made too much of a fool of myself Toofy Grin

So, is it like riding a bike? Yes, but with caveats - probably a good idea to get a lesson or 2 booked and it sounds like you're doing the right thing by having a session in the snowdome first where Im sure you'll find it coming back to you pretty quickly.

Very best of luck and enjoy!
ski holidays
@suffolkski, From an instructor's point of view, definitely like riding a bike. BUT, if your first venture back onto the slopes is with an instructor, they can make sure that you use it as a brilliant opportunity to remember the good bits and try not to remember the bits about your skiing that were less than perfect!
In our experience, if you've skied before (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, usually in a land before kids...), an hour's private lesson will get you back at least to the point where a 6 hour beginners course, or 3 hours privately would get a beginner to. A ski lesson will move at the speed of the slowest, so if you do a beginners lesson with your wife, it will should focus on her, and you won't really get to find out what you can remember.
snow conditions
Thanks again for all of your comments.

UPDATE

As previously mentioned, today saw my first adventure on ski's for somewhere in excess of 25 years, and my wife's first experience of skiing, in the form of a beginners lesson at the Milton Keynes Snozone. We went for the 3 hour, level 1 and 2 class (total of 5 levels which require signoff from an instructor before you are permitted to use the main slope).

We arrived early enough to have a pretty decent (7/10) bacon sandwich and coffee in the cafe before getting changed into our hired salopettes and jacket, and making our way to the equipment rental counters.

Boots, a subject that a few had given some opinions and guidance on above, took around 5 minutes to get and get into. Fit seemed good, they looked pretty new, and proved to be as comfortable as can be expected. Ski's were duly procured, as were helmets, and we made our way to the waiting zone to meet Gary, our instructor. We were a group of 8.

After a 10 minute briefing including how to correctly get into, secure and fasten our boots (very helpful, most people in the group, myself included, had one thing or another wrong!!)we made our way to the nursery slopes, where we put on our skis and spent a few minutes shuffling round in a big circle, sliding on one ski and a few other things, before edging sideways about 10 yards up the side of the slope ready for our first descent.

The next hour was spent practicing straight snowplough down the slope, controlling speed, a bit of pizza/fries/pizza, and lots of sideways shuffling up the slope again. At this point I was comfortable, hadn't made a fool of myself, and could feel things starting to making sense from the long-distant past. Mrs Suffolkski had gone from rigid fear to comfortable snowplough with a smile on her face. Seriously, a massive difference in an hour.

We then had a mid session break for 15 minutes, during which both of us removed at least 1 layer, the website says its -5 in the snozone, but we were both sweating like.......(add your own analogy here)

Upon our return to the snow, we used the magic carpet to about halfway up the lower nursery slope, probably about 15-20 yards, and Gary spent a couple of minutes demonstrating turns, after which we took it in turns to try to navigate the challenge of remembering everything we had been taught, weight forward, hands in front, weight transfer, look where you're going, don't look down, control your speed, etc etc etc.

After a couple of runs of this, some thing clicked, and it was as if I had gone back 25 years and was cruising blue and red runs in Courchavel. Under Gary's tuition, once I had got the feeling of leaning forward in my boots and hands in front, I was in pretty much full control of my speed, direction, turns, and aside from one minor issue mid-turn, I felt very comfortable. The next 45 minutes he sent me and a couple of the others in the group further up the hill, (maybe 30 yards), and doing 4-5 wide sweeping turns to the bottom. Absolutely amazing feeling, and one that seemed like it ended too soon.

More (and most) importantly, Mrs Suffolkski was going great guns. Comfortably snowplough turning both ways from halfway up the nursery slope, one minor tumble soon after the mid-session break but nothing serious, she was making great progress for her first ski experience.

By the end of the session her shins were a bit sore, not sure if this was due to the boots or just the effort of leaning forward all the time, but now, 4 hours after we finished, there are no outstanding issues.

Following the session, we had an individual debrief with Gary. Mrs Suffolkski has successfully passed level 1 and 2 and is keen to get back soon to do the next level, although they do a level 2 and 3 class which may be a good option to nail down turning before moving on. She's in no rush. Gary told me I can skip level 3 and go to the level 4 and 5 class next, after which I'll be main slope ready.

Pretty happy with MK Snozone to be honest, it all went according to plan, no surprises or 'Oh No' moments, good instructor in Gary, and most importantly Mrs Suffolkski loved it, didn't spend all her time on her backside, could do it, made good progress, and wants to continue the journey.

What's next? I'll be booking Mrs Suffolkski in for level 2 and 3 at some point in the next few weeks, and I'll be registering for the level 4 and 5 class. Will probably be taking up a family membership at MK Snozone, it offers some decent discounts on lessons and slope passes, although before I do this I want to explore the options at the Hemel Hempstead facility as well, as we are pretty much equidistant from the 2 places.

Oh, and I've been given the go ahead to book our first family trip, which in all likelihood will be in December, probably the week before Christmas.

So in summary, a great day, and yes it is like riding a bike, it all came flooding back to me after a surprising short period of time.

Onwards and upwards, and thanks for all your help and guidance thus far.

Suffolkski
snow conditions
Delighted you Enjoyed it,
snow conditions
@suffolkski, excellent news! However, now for the bad news. You have just embarked on a bloody expensive habit. It's probably too late to turn back now.
snow report
@rob@rar,

LOL, I am becoming rapidly aware of that, however having spent the last 8 years travelling to Orlando in summer holidays and spending ridiculous sums I'm really looking forward to it!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
suffolkski wrote:
... having spent the last 8 years travelling to Orlando in summer holidays and spending ridiculous sums ...
Tell me about it!
ski holidays
Congratulations on your lessons!

Booking the week before Christmas limits you, a lot of places don’t have good snow by then. This year I went to PDS on about 20 Dec; Avoriaz was OK, had opened a few days before, but Morzine opened that day and was struggling. Do your research.
snow report
Well, there’s always the snowheads pre-season bash...
latest report
@suffolkski, thanks for the update. I’m glad it went so well for you and Mrs Suffolkski. As @abc says there is always the PSB
snow conditions
Quote:

Booking the week before Christmas limits you, a lot of places don’t have good snow by then.

That's true, but it's also very quiet, and cheap. And if you go to the right place (Tignes spring to mind, and yes, the pre season bash) you would be very unlucky not to have plenty of snow to play with.

Great to hear how well it went. You did all the right things!
latest report
@Orange200, @abc, @Rabbie, @pam w,

We're looking at flying out on the 19th of December, (Suffolkski Jr finishes school on the 18th), or driving down overnight on the 18th, arriving on the 19th, and looking at Val Thorens, as I've read the altitude gives the best chance of decent snow as its early season. I know it will be more expensive, but for a first trip I need to do everything I can to secure good snow!!

Planning to return on 26th December, if driving will probably split the trip and overnight somewhere in France on the way home.

PSB and other bashes may be something to consider in the future, but need to get the first family trip done next winter. Also Suffolkski Jr is only 14 so probably not ideal .

Thanks again for the advice and tips, much appreciated.
snow report
suffolkski wrote:
@Orange200, @abc, @Rabbie, @pam w,

We're looking at flying out on the 19th of December, (Suffolkski Jr finishes school on the 18th), or driving down overnight on the 18th, arriving on the 19th, and looking at Val Thorens, as I've read the altitude gives the best chance of decent snow as its early season. I know it will be more expensive, but for a first trip I need to do everything I can to secure good snow!!

Planning to return on 26th December, if driving will probably split the trip and overnight somewhere in France on the way home.

PSB and other bashes may be something to consider in the future, but need to get the first family trip done next winter. Also Suffolkski Jr is only 14 so probably not ideal .

Thanks again for the advice and tips, much appreciated.

FWIW Espace Killy has a slightly better snow record than VT/3V, due to its location - getting snow from 2 directions:

https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-snow-sure-ski-resorts-europe/

https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-early-season-ski-resorts-europe/
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag,

That's very helpful, many thanks.

As the more observant amongst you may have noticed, I really have no idea what I'm doing regarding arranging our first trip, Val Thorens was recommended to me by a regular skier friend for early season.

There is so much to consider, and so many options!!!
latest report
Val Thorens is a perfectly good option. Week before Christmas better because quiet and cheap. Snow probability not much different.
ski holidays
@suffolkski, will you be continuing with ski lessons on this proposed trip? Recommendations for ski schools as important as recommendations for resorts, IMO.
snow conditions
Yes, absolutely right.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, @pam w,

A very good point.

100% for MrsSuffolkski and Suffolkski Jr, most probably for me depending on how the pre-trip lessons shape up between now and then.

All recomendations gratefully received.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy