Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Survey: What is your favorite lift?

Poster: A snowHead
One of my favourites is the seemingly trivial Pomma lift at Le Fornet (Vd'I) called Signal. You get jerked off your feet at times, when you get on, and you have to remember to get on the left hand half or it drops you uselessly half way up, but from the top you have an enormous area of good off-piste, which is so large, despite being easy to access, that you can find fresh lines long after a new snow-fall. You can turn right, or left back along a ridge, but the best is to go directly over the edge to the left ( or traverse straight ahead) for the Grand Vallon - or traverse further ahead into a different series of bowls which reach to the Malpasset Gorge.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An interesting twist on favourite lifts can be found here!!
Toofy Grin
http://www.natives.co.uk/features/pylon.htm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The T bar at the top of the Horstman glacier on Blackcomb. Scene of one of life's little moments of shared humanity.

A crowded lift line.

A 6 or 7 year old snowboarder at the front - his first time on a T bar.

He got on, he fell off. Someone else went.

...the line got smaller...

...he continued falling off...

Then.

Finally. He got on. He stayed on.

He made it 100m

As one, the lift line cheered.

He turned.

He waved.

He fell off.

As one, the lift line groaned, "noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!". Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like the Gornegrat railway in Zermatt.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer wrote:
I like the Gornegrat railway in Zermatt.

Financial Times sir?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The one with the shortest queue - that aside I liked the "eggs" gondola and "yoghurt pots" bucket lift at Flaine (apparently they were part of the original architectural scheme when the resort was developed in the 60s and are now lined up for replacement).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
'Poma - Milton Keynes

You're right; The left hand one as it passes the windows overlooking the swimming pool and gym!! Blush
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gabba & Peindeint at Courmayeur. Gabba because of the runs and Peindeint because it's an old, slow chair through the trees with views of Monte Bianco where it is possible to have almost silence.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 16-10-06 12:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky, I like the old cable car up to the top of Courmayeur. I'd rate it with the Aiguille du Midi in Chamonix as my favourites.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, do you mean the tiny one (like at the top of Valluga) which leads only to off-piste? Yes, that's a good one.
Also, as many people have said already: both sides of Mont Blanc - from Chamonix or Helbronner. The thrill of going up the top section of Helbronner and imagining skiing down under it, and the sheer spectacle of the Aiguille du Midi.
Interesting: Courmayeur seems to be doing rather well here!

But better than any of these (or the other two I've nominated), and for me the No.1 lift, is the top section of the main La Grave lift which accesses almost the whole huge area of challenging off piste (and the remainder just requires the small drags above it, so it is the gateway even to that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, there's Youla & Arp - Youla is what most people think of as the top, and Arp that actually is but I've rarely seen it open.

If I was an off-piste skier they may have got my nominations, but I don't so I stuck to the lifts I've probably used (and certainly enjoyed) as much as any others.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skanky,

They tend to see how you are kitted out. If you look as if you know where you are going and have the kit, they'll run it for you. They will also open it for people not carrying skis who go for the view. I haven't been there for a couple of years now so it might be different. Its a place I would like to go back to - we always popped in if we were in the vicinty. In fact the whole area right round to La Thuile needs a bit more consideration. I might look into it this year...and add it to our trip.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, surprised it took so long for someone to mention the La Grave lift. Scenic, sense of anticipation as you look at the lines, access to awesome terrain and uniqueness - what more can you ask for?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, makes sense - though it tends to be marked as closed so a lot of people who might go up tend not to even try. There are some great views from up there though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skanky, I'm thinking of Youla - I've not been on Arp. Just had a look at the piste map: it certainly looks 'interesting'!
snow report
Favourite Lift? - The next one!! - Always
snow report
laundryman, I couldn't even see where you'd start to ski from it... Shocked
latest report
Mine is the one up from the car park to the ski base at Sunshine. In the morning, it gives you time to check out the snow, plan the day and look forward to it, and if you've already breakfasted to do the unpleasant but necessary chore of putting on sunscreen. Taking it the evening and watching everyone else skiing down the tedious (after the 5th or 6th descent) road to the car park, planning drinkies and dinner, is pretty good too.
latest report
Kieran, or maybe the last one? Puzzled wink
snow report
skanky,
Its all round the back... there ia short traverse right which dips into a bowl and leads out onto the glacier which you can see on the left of the main Courmayer lift domain... that can be as long or short as you want to make it. You can drop off the back of the Youla to see the kind of area you will be in... its south facing and they don't like you up there late on a sunny day.....!!!!!!

Or you can turn left on the traverse which takes you on a route to down Dolonne or P St Didier. I haven't been that far and its about time I checked out that and the Rutour Glacier which also features heli AFAIK.

Now, thats the best lift... anything with 4 seats and a rotor
snow conditions
Any chair lift first thing in the morning, with the cold air freezing away the effects of the previous nights alcohol wink
latest report
Here is a good Courmeyeur map. But you can't see JT's right-turn start, since it goes behind the mountain.
And there is the Punta Helbronner too. (The Aiguille du Midi/Helbronner bubbles go horizontally and only operate in the summer)
snow report
There's an article on Courmayeur in the current (i.e October '06) edition of Fall Line, which describes a couple of off-piste/touring routes.
snow report
Courmayeur's getting more mentions than Wengen and La Rosiere at the moment. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:
The Aiguille du Midi/Helbronner bubbles go horizontally and only operate in the summer

My brother-in-laws's grandfather helped build that. The pictures of the construction are pretty amazing. The heli skiing in Val Ferret tends to be from the top of Monte la Saxe, but there is a refugio up there as well.
There's a good little restaurant at Lavanchey that does very good cold lunches (but hot wine).
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
Courmayeur's getting more mentions than Wengen and La Rosiere at the moment. Very Happy

Well Courmayeur town lift has to be popular as you have to get it to get to the lifts Cool
snow report
laundryman wrote:

Courmayeur is only a hop and a skip down the road from Le Rosiere wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
laundryman wrote:

Well Courmayeur town lift has to be popular as you have to get it to get to the lifts Cool

Not necessarily, you can get the Val Veny lift instead. Which I guess makes it even more popular. Neutral
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hibernia, Yes. 9 miles apart (to the italian end). Nearly as linked as some bits of Chamonix
latest report
hibernia wrote:
laundryman wrote:

And as I recall, you do tend to spend a lot of time either sitting on or queueing for the chairlifts once you get up there! Some of them would be painfully slow if it weren't for the fantastic scenery to enjoy.
snow report
from La Ros Courmayer is very close by road and the b****dy petrol station is cash Evil or Very Mad only
snow conditions
boredsurfin, Its a shame that both France and Italy don't have the same currency wink
latest report
boredsurfin, Its a shame that both France and Italy don't have the same currency wink

Laughing Laughing
snow report
hibernia, Apparently The Queen doesn't carry cash either Very Happy
ski holidays

That was my immediate thought when in the restaurant they said Welcome to Italy sorry no cards, 'oh sh*t we've got no lira' Embarassed Laughing

Fortunately we had just enough cash for the meal and petrol Shocked
snow report
hibernia, Apparently The Queen doesn't carry cash either Very Happy

Best tell the Queen not to go to Courmayer just in case Laughing
snow conditions
boredsurfin, Alls well as they say. Just think of the worst case scenario - Running out of fuel in the town called La Rosiere in the summer Shocked Shocked

It would have been crowded on the one horse.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, The La Ros petrol station was open - and I bet they take cards Sad
ski holidays
johno wrote:
hibernia wrote:
laundryman wrote:

And as I recall, you do tend to spend a lot of time either sitting on or queueing for the chairlifts once you get up there! Some of them would be painfully slow if it weren't for the fantastic scenery to enjoy.

By the looks of the lift co. site they have just upgraded one of the slow lifts. There are a few still around though (Internazionale & Peindeint being the longest and slowest - unless they've been upgraded since I was last there).
snow report
Folks, isn't the best lift always the first lift on a powder day?

flicksta, enough already, you are just showing off. Anyway, where's your commitment? As far as I can determine, you are just on holiday in Argentina. If you're that keen, re-locate wink (Says he who has just had the last of the re-mover's boxes taken from the terrasse).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy