Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best European Countries for Ski Food

Poster: A snowHead
Having just gotten back from Italy with my boy, I realised how important the food was. Even the easy access piste side places were decent, and if willing to explore a little bit back in town, some of the places are amazing. We knew we hit the jackpot in some places that had no English menus and barely any foreigners. Our food was as memorable as the skiing and we really gorged our way through the week.

How does the food in France/Switzerland/others compare? We have been to Andorra (pretty bad food) and Austria (average). I'm not talking about Michelin star places, but simple casual places serving local food, around or under 20 EUR a head (for lunch).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Italy, next thread please
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@puddingdo, As regards which European ski country has the best food on the slopes I think you've already found the answer - Italy!

The fact that it's also usually reasonably priced is just a nice bonus! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, Italy wins hands down. Except for bread and cakes which are far better in France.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its got to be Italy of course... Even if you go "Off Pizza"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Somone told me once that there was a lake to the East of Salzburg that was made of Gulash Soupe.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrLawn wrote:
Its got to be Italy of course... Even if you go "Off Pizza"

Groan... Laughing and yet, one of the worst pizzas I had was in Gressoney and the best was in Tignes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Italy obviously up there, but I'd chuck in Sweden - a bit expensive but we had delicious food everywhere except one place in Are. All down to preference I guess - also rate Zakopane in Poland very high for food, I'm a big fan of anywhere that dill, sour cream and meatballs or sausages play a major part in the menu.

@pam w, utterly agree on the bread in Italy! And for cake, Austria wins.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@puddingdo, we will travel from France to Italy for lunch. Had truly outstanding lunch in Novex (Champoluc) last week. And a very fine one in Al Dente in Aosta the next day.

Had a slightly above average lunch in Argentero at the base of the Grands Montets today, but you don't go to Chamonix for the on-mountain food Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@motyl, I agree in Tignes.
The best place for me was a little kiosk in Val Claret.
I just looked it up .. the SOS Pizza take away.
My favouite was the Montagnard with Tuna.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Italy all day long.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wouldn't be too quick to right off Andorra. There are plenty of good places.

The worst ski spot for food... Well I've never skiied there but I can only presume Norway based off other visits.

A few people here have raved about the Spanish resorts.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Montagnard with Tuna Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Breakfast - All much the same
Coffee Stop - Italy
Lunch - Really comes down to the restaurant but generally NOT Switzerland (price) or French self service places.
Afternoon Cake - France
Evening Main Course - Italy
Evening Dessert - Austria
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's been both good and bad in most places I've skied, but Italy is always the most consistent for delicious food at reasonable prices, whether on the mountain or at base.
ski holidays
Andorran food in general is good. Out on the mountain is a different matter, unless you book to go in one of the expensive on mountain restaurants where a lunch takes hours, then the food is pretty poor. Everything on the mountain is run by the lift company. There are a few good independent places easily accessible at the side or just across the road in Pas. There’s also one independent place at the bottom of Aliga in El Tarter - but the food is fairly basic there.

On mountain food, we definitely prefer Italy or Austria. I really love Austrian food!
snow report
Italy, hands down. Not even close. And we live in France and have a house in the French Alps.

Let's put it this way: When we ski in France, we always pack a lunch, even if it means schlepping a backpack around all day. Whereas in Italy, we plan our daily ski itinerary around where we're going to eat lunch!

I've had memorable slopeside meals in France and Switzerland, but they were the exception, not the rule.

One point: Pizza isn't really a good ski food, even in Italy where the ski stations are way north of the pizza belt.
snow report
Italy. The food in the Ca Fiore Hotel in Baronecchia definitely helped mitigate the lack of snow on our holiday. Still planning to go back one summer and stay there
snow conditions
Up until a couple of seasons ago it was Italy, followed closely by Japan.

But Turkey and Bosnia are up there for me now.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
Somone told me once that there was a lake to the East of Salzburg that was made of Gulash Soupe.

Rubbish, everyone knows that each Ski area has their suppe reservoirs hidden in the mountains, which are stirred each night when the pistes are empty by suppendrache.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:

Turkey I could understand. What's the appeal of Bosnian cuisine (assuming that it's cheap, at least!)
latest report
Good food can be found in most ski areas. Usually you have to work harder to find the good ones and get reasonable value. It’s easy to stumble on bad ones and get ripped off.

Another vote for Italy, which has the most consistently good food, even in modest restaurants and hotels, in my experience.

Hopefully it’s improved recently but Bulgaria had the worst.
ski holidays
per @Hurtle,
Quote:

Italy is always the most consistent for delicious food at reasonable prices

... is clearly the answer to the OP's question, no?

@Pasigal,
Quote:

Pizza isn't really a good ski food

oh I don't know, Maison Vieille above Courmayeur does a nice pizza (does an even nicer carbonara).
snow report
@under a new name, I've had good pizza in Courmayeur, but in general I find that it's best in the shaft and toe/heel of the Italian boot...although perhaps the best ski area pizza I've ever had was in Vermont at American Flatbread in Waitsfield. Yes, not on the slopes but near Mad River Glen and Sugarbush, so qualifies...https://americanflatbread.com/
ski holidays
The Best mountain food and worst mountain food I've had have both been in Italy.
Selva the best and Madonna Di campiglio definitely the worst.
snow report
Pasigal wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Turkey I could understand. What's the appeal of Bosnian cuisine (assuming that it's cheap, at least!)

Quite similar to Turkish food.

Great grilled meats, koftas, and kebabs. Great salads, breads and pastries (savoury and sweet)

Lots of cheese dishes for the veggies.

Vegetable soups and stews.

Trout is popular, and delicious.

And yes it's excellent value for money.

https://www.willflyforfood.net/food-in-bosnia-and-herzegovina/
latest report
Another vote for Italy, both on mountain and off mountain. Had a wild boar ragu with pappardelle up the mountain once in Sauze which was utterly sensational and remains my favourite ever; I’ve tried a few times to recreate it but not quite there. Also love the boards of cured meats, cheese, bread and other concoctions that a few of the apres bars do free of charge to enjoy with your post ski drinks. And as said, prices are entirely reasonable and there’s such great variety of carb heavy sustenance.

The Savoyards have got it right with tartiflette, mind. Can’t think of many better dishes when it’s baltic outside and you need a warm break from the weather and a good hot meal inside you.
snow report
I had plenty of excellent meals in France. Pay your money and it can be excellent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1400 Euros for Sushi was a strong no last week though Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
The Mehanas or whatever they are called. Better food than the skiing available in Bulgaria.
ski holidays
@Dav,
Which restaurant in Sauze ?
snow conditions
@blahblahblah, ive paid my money in France and still wasn't impressed.
snow report
musher wrote:
@Dav,
Which restaurant in Sauze ?

Orso Bianco in Sportinia.
snow report
@Dav,
We preferred Ciao Pais, even better Very Happy
snow conditions
@blahblahblah, @Mother hucker, it's not always a question of money: finding the place where locals eat the plat du jour is often the better bet.
latest report
musher wrote:
@Dav,
We preferred Ciao Pais, even better Very Happy

Yeah it’s lovely in there too, a bit off the beaten track but superb food. Think I got a recommendation from here about it and have been there a few times.
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
Good food can be found in most ski areas. Usually you have to work harder to find the good ones and get reasonable value. It’s easy to stumble on bad ones and get ripped off.

That summarises my experience.

I think it is fair to say that Italy (not just ski areas) has more of a culture of pride in their food, which means that even humble offerings are likely to be enjoyable. Our experience of Andorra (one visit) was that they didn't care about food at all, and it was a relief when we found the one place in the whole area which wasn't part of the same burger-and-chips operation licensed by the lift company everywhere else. In both Austria and the big French resorts we have found many of the mountain restaurants had very similar menus of what was "expected" in such places (Gulaschsuppe etc in Austria, tartiflette etc in France) and they soon became boring. Switzerland has elements of both food styles, always done very well in our experience, but of course British perception of price/value reflects the unfavourable exchange rate.

When you get to know a resort through returning regularly (St Gervais in our case) you do discover there are good places. @Hurtle's advice is good, some of the best places are modest shacks which have little choice - often just plat du jour or charcuterie - but you feel serve food that really represent the country's traditions.
snow report
Lot's of opinion here, mostly in favour of Italy. Won't argue with that. What I would say though, is that Canada has the worst, and it features 'Poutine'. Even reading it's description dispels the appetite!
ski holidays
No votes for Bulgaria yet…..what’s up with river carp and boiled cabbage?
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@blahblahblah, @Mother hucker, it's not always a question of money: finding the place where locals eat the plat du jour is often the better bet.

This is also true.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy