Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Apres ski / nightlife --Don't believe the hype??

Poster: A snowHead
Ive just returned from Kitzbuhel and a little disappointed with the nightlife , we went to Flannigans and Londoner and both seemed a bit flat, just not what i was expecting after reading all the hype .Maybe we went to each one at the wrong days or times ??
Most places ive been the Apres 4pm-6pm has been ok-good but anything after dinner has dead to ok with the exception of Ischgl , Saalbach and a bit hit and miss St.Anton.
You read alot about this place that place is the Ibiza of the Alps with the exception Ischgl it hasnt quite lived up to the hype
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wasley, wonder if the current medical situation is convincing people not to mingle in such places
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wasley, iME it is quiet after 8 but kicks off again later
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@wasley, Flannigans is an Irish bar, the Londoner is a British bar. If you want some genuine Austrian après, you need to go to an Austrian bar. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@wasley, My cousin and his regular annual group of around 10 decided to give Kitz a try a few seasons ago, and they were also underwhelmed by the apres. They felt that it was too spread out, compared with Saalbach, where it is more concentrated in a relatively small village.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kitz is pretty up market and expensive to stay now, I imagine it was much more happening 5-10years ago.
Still, the pubs you've mentioned can be good and there are tons of young(and old!) ski instructors around.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it can depend on your expectations. If you're used to the Brighton, Bournemouth, Ibiza etc. club scene then the odds are you may be disappointed by many ski resorts. My son and his Brighton friends scheduled a night out in Verbier from our 4 Vallées satellite, and were pretty-much done by 2.30am. They ended-up getting a taxi back 'round the mountain at 3am for £40 each rather than wait 'till the first lifts could take them home over the top at 8am (they reckoned it cost them less than hanging-around in the clubs 'till the morning, as was their plan).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kitz is where Munich snobs go to showoff on the weekend.

It has not been a partytown for about a quarter-century.

The European Alps are now so gentrified, the days of reckless party are long gone.

The Internet and global warming killed the atmosphere of remote villages cutoff from the outside world by relentless snowfall and left to party without fear of judgment.

You can find hangers-on in places like Bansko, Ischgl, St Anton, or Verbier.

But their best days ended years ago.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The European Alps are now so gentrified, the days of reckless party are long gone.

Meanwhile Saalbach parties on, recklessly, and without fear of judgment Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:

You can find hangers-on in places like Bansko, Ischgl, St Anton, or Verbier.

But their best days ended years ago.

Wait are you saying Bansko had ‘best days’???

always looked bleak, cheap and chav to me
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Meanwhile Saalbach parties on, recklessly, and without fear of judgment Laughing

A bunch of old men dancing to 1980s popmusic in their skiboots is not reckless partying wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

A bunch of old men dancing to 1980s popmusic in their skiboots is not reckless partying

How terribly ageist - nothing wrong with a rave for old people (as my son once described the Hinterhag Alm).

Having said that, the average age is probably around 30 - Whitegold’s been going to the wrong parties.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are there any young people on snowheads? I thought not. What are you hoping for in your apres? The kids of today are all too skint or too woke to do lots of apres with the excess and swagger of the the baby boomers in the 80's and 90's. The rest are either looking for something they will never find, or have given up on wild partying and are happy with what they are presented with. Different times, man Cool !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mayrhofen was still excellent 2 years ago
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Are there any young people on snowheads?

Whitegold and Stanton obviously...mind you they do spend a hell of a lot of time and energy in here considering it's an "old people's forum". Anyone would think they'd be too busy skiing and partying... Laughing
snow conditions
I'm beginning to suspect that Whitegold is simply the blanc-neige version of Goldmember:
http://youtube.com/v/HnzH15hwt48

Hence, any concept of nightlife on his part should be seen from a similar perspective.

Which has its merits...
ski holidays
mayrhoffen with the bruckenstadt and Icebar is as good as any apres venue
snow report
@wasley, Kitzbühel is not the place for lively apres ski, more Sekt and canapes, not often I agree with Whitegold but it does attract schiki michi folk from Munich and elsewhere. Many other Austrian resorts have "lively" apres, though it does very much revolve around booze probably not much interest if you are teetotal. If you think St Anton is hit or miss not sure what you are after or where you went to in the village. There are a number of complaints around here that the village is getting too leery, certainly a long list of bars and clubs open well into the early hours.
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, When a Yank asks you out for a beer, that's what they mean, one beer. A wild night is two. They are all mega lightweights.

Excepting of course their actual weight, lol.
ski holidays
Ischghl is a great party town probly the best I’ve been too. Cow Shed, Post, Champgne Huette and Fire and Ice are all banging

Solden is good too

Myhofen and St Anton aren’t bad

Austria beats France on the apres side hands down
latest report
thecramps wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, When a Yank asks you out for a beer, that's what they mean, one beer. A wild night is two. They are all mega lightweights.

Most French don't realise that 'un demi' comes from 'half a pint'.

After the 'hundred years' war, the Briton's preference to drink beer by the pint was rapidly forgotten, until the advent of tourism, a few centuries later, rekindled that memory, and french bars could once again make a viable living...
ski holidays
crosbie wrote:
thecramps wrote:

Most French don't realise that 'un demi' comes from 'half a pint'.

After the 'hundred years' war, the Briton's preference to drink beer by the pint was rapidly forgotten, until the advent of tourism, a few centuries later, rekindled that memory, and french bars could once again make a viable living...

That's funny because I always thought "un demi" was roughly a pint as it referred to a half litre.
latest report
Bodeswell wrote:
That's funny because I always thought "un demi" was roughly a pint as it referred to a half litre.

Un demi is 250ml.
Une pinte is 500ml.
A pint is 568ml.

In the Alps, une pinte is better known as un sérieux - although in some places (Méribel, etc.) it's known as a pucking fint.
snow report
crosbie wrote:
Bodeswell wrote:

Un demi is 250ml.
Une pinte is 500ml.
A pint is 568ml.

In the Alps, une pinte is better known as un sérieux - although in some places (Méribel, etc.) it's known as a pucking fint.

Ah, ok, well that must be a 21st century concession to half pint drinkers from the UK, because in the eighties, in Marseille, if you wanted a pint you asked for "un demi".
Asking for a "pint" in the real France is like asking for a quarter-pounder with cheese....
snow report
Bodeswell wrote:
Ah, ok, well that must be a 21st century concession to half pint drinkers from the UK, because in the eighties, in Marseille, if you wanted a pint you asked for "un demi".
Asking for a "pint" in the real France is like asking for a quarter-pounder with cheese....

I suspect that if a bloke asked for anything in any touristy bar in France with an English accent they'd be served a 50cl glass. But then, I was in Marseille a year ago, not in the 80s.

As for 'quarter-pounder with cheese' you are of course referring to a 'royale'? N'est-ce pas?

http://youtube.com/v/6Pkq_eBHXJ4
snow conditions
If you didn't ask for "un demi" you got a half...
And that was exactly the scene I was thinking of Laughing
ski holidays
I thought "un serieux " was a litre?
latest report
Not that I'd know - I'm more likely to have a galopin. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
I thought "un serieux " was a litre?

Where it isn't commonly identified as 50cl, yes, it could be interpreted as a litre.

YOUR REGION MAY VARY...

The whole problem is due to the fact that the French are unused to drinking beer by the pint.

In England of course, there is no confusion. There is just one word for pint, and it's 'pint'. We don't have half a dozen words that vary by region.
snow report
I was discussing this with colleagues yesterday and I explained that the beer is not nearly as strong in the uk therefore a pint isn’t excessive, i remember many brits falling over after drinking a few ´pints’ of Mutzig at bar Robinson in Morzine!
snow report
Galopin: 12.5cl
Demi: 25cl
Serieux: 50cl
Formidable: 1l
in this neck of the woods

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 2-03-20 21:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Ha Pfiff!
latest report
This is a (let's be charitable) middle-aged place. Not sure our views on hot nightlife are worth much TBH.
snow conditions
We went to Bad Gastein last February half term. We frequented both the Silver Bullet and the Lederhosen bars who had full on apres 4-7 pm with lots of youngsters, and not just us old folk. Lots of them were Dutch/Scandinavian.
ski holidays
Surely galopin ~=12.5cl?
latest report
I thought a galopin was a Lausbub Toofy Grin
ski holidays
You’re in the wrong place. The real action is in Switzerland Cool

http://youtube.com/v/ZjAxQ_071lk
snow conditions
@DidierCouch, correct, edited. One galopin too many... wink
snow report
Pfiff = 200ml
Or a 'whistle' of bier to chase down the schnapps!
snow report
A great place for gluhwein or beer on the way home in Kitzbuhel is the Seidlalm cafe. They also do great kaiserschmarrn. The problem with staying too long there is negoting the rest of the Streif pissed & in the dark. It makes you realise what pussies World Cup downhillers are as they only do it sober in daylight! Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy