Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CARV digital ski coach

Poster: A snowHead
djf wrote:
My wife had hers running on a lesson with insideout this week and it was interesting to look at the data in conjunction with the lesson.
It was interesting to see the data from Mrs djf's Carv setup and I thought it reassuring that the data was in line with what I was seeing (and that Mrs djf scored a satisfyingly high 93%, right in the middle of the range for pro skiers, on one of the metrics we were working on).

I think it's an interesting device, and I take the view that all information (providing it is accurate) is useful. Of course, the most important point is what you do with that information, and I retain a concern that focusing on a necessarily limited set of outcome measures might not always be helpful in making sensible changes to the skier's inputs. Will there be a focus on addressing the symptoms rather than treating the cause of any problems which are apparent...?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
djf wrote:
My wife had hers running on a lesson with insideout this week and it was interesting to look at the data in conjunction with the lesson.
It was interesting to see the data from Mrs djf's Carv setup and I thought it reassuring that the data was in line with what I was seeing (and that Mrs djf scored a satisfyingly high 93%, right in the middle of the range for pro skiers, on one of the metrics we were working on).

I think it's an interesting device, and I take the view that all information (providing it is accurate) is useful. Of course, the most important point is what you do with that information, and I retain a concern that focusing on a necessarily limited set of outcome measures might not always be helpful in making sensible changes to the skier's inputs. Will there be a focus on addressing the symptoms rather than treating the cause of any problems which are apparent...?

That's a huge positive that the device is backing up what you were seeing. I completely agree about your point about what you do with the information, and that's my only concern. I've got a high amount of confidence that it'll pick up what I'm doing wrong, but how good will it be in instructing me what I need to do to change that. The beauty of instruction is that you can have that conversation to make sure you're clear on what you need to do (' so more this?', 'less that?; 'is this right?', 'have no idea what you mean!') - I always like to replay what I've been told, to check I understand, and I suspect that Carv won't be very chatty if I try that with her Laughing

Also, I'm aware that if I decide not to continue with the yearly subscription, then I'll only be left with the monitoring/ski iq functions, and none of the coaching drills, so this point could be really key.

The good news is that the makers have been very clear that they are not looking to replace instruction, so I guess they must have that in mind.

djf let us know how you get on when you try it indoors. I'm hoping mine arrive soon so can give it a go at Hemel at some point. Hopefully between us all we can get a good understanding what it's capable of doing indoors, and what drills\tools aren't available.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone looking for a discounted Carv unit - I noted the following in the marketing messages from the National Snow Show:

Ski Exchange Stand:
Exclusive pricing on CARV will be available for the show weekend for those looking to improve their technique. CARV will be offering testing, advice & more at the show.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just had this email from Carb

Quote:

Hi PieMan

We’ve got some exciting news. And as one of our original customers, we wanted you to hear it first.

This season, we are launching Carv Membership!

For new members, it works like a ski pass, costing £149 /season.

You've been with us since the start of our journey as over the last 4 winters we’ve pushed ourselves to reshape the boundaries of what's possible in digital coaching.

That's why you will become Founder Members and receive a lifetime Carv Membership (you will not pay for the annual subscription to use your original device).

Why membership?
Since our first launch in 2016, we've pushed the boundaries of digital coaching every year.

Along the way you’ve supported us, skied with us, and helped us to improve Carv… you’ve even stuck by us as we hit a few moguls along the way.

But we know you want more – and we've listened to all of your great ideas; more coaching, better tips, video content, different terrain, powder, bumps.

We share your ambitions for Carv, which is why we're launching Carv as a membership this season. We want to keep innovating every season for our skiers while keeping the price accessible for new members.

Each winter we take a huge leap forwards with Carv and we won’t stop pushing the boundaries for you.

How it works
If you’ve already created an account and recorded a session with your Carv units, there’s nothing more you need to do - you’ll be automatically activated as a Founder member.

If you bought Carv before August 2021 but are yet to start using Carv, don’t worry, we’ll still get you activated as a Founder member. You'll need to activate your membership with the new 21|22 season app, which will be released on 15th November. We will send you an email once it’s launched as a reminder.

We’ve answered many additional questions you may have in our FAQ, though feel free to reach out to our team.

Membership FAQ
What's new for 2021?
This year, we've worked tirelessly to bring you the best Carv app we've ever made.

Ski:IQ™ has taken another big leap forward with the addition of powerful new metrics, and we've worked with an international team of instructors to create our most powerful coaching experience yet.

In previous years, Carv has shown you how you are skiing and given you tips to improve.

This year, our aim is to join up your coaching journey, so you know exactly what to work on next to improve your Ski:IQ™.

See what's new
Finally, we want to say thank you.

You’ve been with us since the start, and we owe our growth to you. Thank you for the last 4 years and we’re excited to have you join us for Carv’s next chapter.

Jamie Grant
Carv CEO and
Co-founder

FAQ

There seems to be a difference between the email saying August 21 and the faq saying October for qualification for founder status
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If you bought Carv before August 2021 but are yet to start using Carv, don’t worry, we’ll still get you activated as a Founder member. You'll need to activate your membership with the new 21|22 season app, which will be released on 15th November. We will send you an email once it’s launched as a reminder.

So pleased to have read this, as I bought my Carv for last season (which means it's still sitting in its box) - and was worried that because I hadn't already registered it, I was going to end up being stung. Thankfully not.

So excited to finally get to use Carv this season (hopefully!) as my wife's been raving about it since she got one in 2018...!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Carvs just arrived - very excited though can’t use them though until the PSB!

On the subscription model - it does sound like the “founders” have a great deal - I wonder if it is hardware linked or account linked.

I do wish they would offer a better solution though on long term pricing as I fear it will not be sustainable to keep paying over the years - lifetime membership for example - or something which is more applicable for someone that gets a week or two a year on skis of which only a few hours/days will in reality be dedicated to using the Carv teaching.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@barracuda, it's a least hardware linked as they said in the email it's only on you units that you brought as a founder. However if you need to replace a unit you can do so through by buying spare parts and they can then be linked to your founder status. New units that I purchase won't get founder status even if I use them with my account.
I agree about the pricing model, it's ok if you ski for a lot of days in a season but for 1 or 2 weeks as you say it's expensive.
Do be careful where you place the units when they are on your boot. One of mine is cracked (gaffer taped up) where it got hit by a chair lift when i was getting on as it had slipped towards the rear of my boot rather than being on the side.
Oh and once you have set them up put a sticker on one of them so you know which is your left and right one as it saves faff. (you can get them to flash in the app now but you didn't used to be able to and I always managed to get them wrong...)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@barracuda, I suspect that mine might be arriving today (had a random courier notification this morning!) - very exciting if its the case. Might try to give it a go at a fridge before my Jan trip. Are you not tempted by a snowdome trip? (not sure I can wait.. I'm like a kid at Christmas!).

I agree about the pricing though. I can see where they're going, more and more industries are moving to a subscription model to keep a regular income stream - but paying £25 a year for say a Ring doorbell that you might have use of daily or weekly, is very different to paying £150 a year for 6-12 days use. I think the person building the business case tried to equate it to the cost of having a lesson, and said it should improve your skiing more than the equivalent of having £150 worth of lessons in a year.

But it's just too much, they need to bundle it up into smaller chunks. The national lottery works on the premise that it's only a couple of quid to play every week - which doesn't feel much - but if people were asked to pay over £100 to play all those games in one week once a year, a lot of people would baulk at that.

Over the course of 5 years, carv will cost me over £800 if I stay subscribed - which I don't think I will. I'll take as much learnings from year 1, then just use the ski-IQ monitoring after that. But if they tiered the packages I might do. I'd happily pay £50 for 6-12 days use a year.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tried my new Carv at Hemel this morning - only managed one run before it gave a system error and didn't work any more. Really disappointing - with the new pricing structure this really needs to be a premium product. All felt a bit buggy to be honest.

I had to set everything back up again once home. and it did a firmware update at the same time so hopefully that's fixed it, but I'm guessing it's going to cost me another £40 snowdome visit to find out.

I am impressed with the level of detail it gives, even on free ski - although as it was only on first run, which after 2 years without skiing was more of a blow off the cobwebs type run, it doesn't give me anything to work with at this point.

Disappointed but still hopeful.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Handy Turnip, that's a shame. Do contact their support I found them very good when I had an issue.
Hopefully next time will be better
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry Turnip but Carv does not work on indoor slopes as it requires a GPS signal to work - I assume this gets blocked by all the insulation and metal.

I read that they are working on a release that will enable you to use just the sensors.

Also I think there's something about needing 20 turns to get a Ski IQ or to pass one of the levels.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scrooger, that used to be the case, but they updated the software as detailed below. It also worked perfectly on my first run, and it was a system error that was the problem after that rather than being indoors.

narbs wrote:

@Handy Turnip I asked Carv about indoor use and they've told me that skiing detection does now works indoors for pressure/angle measuring etc, so drill are possible - any functionality that still requires GPS won't work, so things like speed and distance.

That's a big plus for me and I can see me giving it a go when the new one is released later this year.

I looked further into the data last night (on my one run) and am really impressed - i thought it would just give me topline Balance/Edging/Pressure/Rotary info but the drill downs go into a lot of detail with 6 sub-categories in Edging alone. This has given me a lot of confidence that this product will still have a lot of value just through the ski:IQ element, without the need for the yearly subscription (if I choose not to continue with it every year).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some interesting comments on Carv here

http://youtube.com/v/oZJS5PFZXzw?t=4345
Tom Gellie has been helping Carv for the last couple of years on developing the coaching side of things.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pieman666, he has been doing a few videos for Carv. This one for example, which I don't think is a great advert for Carv or for Tom.

http://youtube.com/v/T9ADsvevZWY

This is a good example of why I'm a bit sceptical of the way in which Carv might be used. Yes, the skier in this video, Paula, has some fore/aft issues, and Carv will be helpful in providing some insight in to that. And what Tom says about fore/aft is spot on - it's almost identical to a clinic on balance I ran a few weeks ago, so I agree wholeheartedly with what he says. But it's absolutely not what is stopping Paula from carving turns, and if she paid an instructor to help her improve her carving and they focused on what Tom focused on in that video it really wouldn't be a good lesson. The reason why Paula can't carve is because of what she does in the very first part of the turn. Getting her to balance more centred on her skis, with or without the assistance of Carv, won't improve her ability to carve her turns. Until she stops pivoting her skis to create a big steering angle at the start of her turn everything else, including her fore/aft balance, is irrelevant.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey all.

I’ve been using mine for the last few trips to hemel and have been getting some data that does backup the drills I’ve been attempting. Stork drills for instance was reflected well in the app.

I really like them , and will have them on each time I go, but I’ve found the biggest issue is remembering to start and stop them on each change of activity. So a few times I’ve ended up with a single run data for the whole session. Also, I’m not sure how going up the drag lift affects the stats.

For me it would be great if the devices reset on each journey back up the lift or some other way we can control that. I guess some days you’d end up with hundreds of runs on the app. Would also be good to be able to easily record a note that says what you’re doing at the time. Will see if I can work out loading some screenshots.

Not sure I’m good enough to understand the data but will work to learn that aspect. Need to keep better track of the splits first.

Regards
latest report
@rob@rar, yep there are going to be some people that are misdirected by carv identifying a problem that isn't actually holding the person back. There are also going to be some people doing silly things to give them a "correct" score (e.g. the app shows their balance is too far back but instead of moving hips out the back seat they just bend forward more at the hip).

Unfortunately the human body has too many degrees of freedom to take a measurement at the sole of the foot and accurately predict the positioning of the rest of the body. Thats why it will not replace human coaching anytime soon.

Fwiw I worked in human movement including doing some mocap stuff for athletes. For them it was really great as we could pinpoint exact things coaches were working on that are pretty much undetectable to the human eye (e.g. rotational forces at a joint). It was pretty much useless for recreational athletes as you really needed a coach with some expertise to even interpret the data, and even if you know a certain variable is out the issue is how do you correct it. I can give you pages of data about angles at joints, forces etc., but a good coach can watch you do the movement once and straight away pick out the flaws and explain how to correct them. Carv is trying to bridge the gap, which is certainly a good thing! But I think we are still quite a way away from it being anywhere near as good as a human coach.
snow report
I’ve been using Carv for a few weeks now, I bought it in the presale having been tempted last year but then not buying because of covid.

It has been a bit frustrating at times to be honest with connection and data issues; being indoors and an android user doesn’t help.

The app has been updated today, I think they have ironed out some of the technical issues so I will test again next week to see how it goes. I won’t be able to use the full functionality until PSB which will be the real test.

For myself I have purchased Carv to fine tune my skiing and because I am a maths loving numbers nerd. I have regular coaching at MK race club which is excellent, for me Carv does not replace that at all but complements the coaching and should track my progress and consistency to a degree. I am competent/experienced enough to know what is going right or wrong and make adjustments.
ski holidays
So I got round to installing my carvs earlier this week and I have a suspicion that the insert is too large for my shell. Does your insert fit flush on the footboard of the boot - needing the tape to fix it into place - mine seems to "float" above - it is sort of suspended by the curvature of the side of the shell - thinking the Lange LV fit may be a bit too tight for them - I have reached out to Carv yesterday but wanted to ask you guys how do yours fit.

Yes bought the size that was for my mondopoint
snow conditions
Mine fit flat in the bottom of my shell.
latest report
They didn’t quite fit perfectly to be honest, I had to really squash them in, tape not required. My boots have a 94 mm last in a 25.5 shell, the inserts I bought are for 25-27. Lucky my liners have had 2 years to pack out use because I can really notice the inserts there. Suspect anyone with race boots will need to see a boot fitter.
snow report
Mine fitted in finem, Size E in a 26.5 atomic hawx boot. It's actually probably slightly on the smaller side for the boot so my issue is ensuring its in the middle but tbh that only slightly smaller, i wouldn't want the size up in there. I couldn't use the carv in my boots without adjustment, so the boots were heated with spacers in place of the carv's (but that didn't really help) in the end I chatted to a fitter and then sanded the baseboard down a mm or 2 and then heated the boot (again with spacer - never with the CARV!) and now they're totally fine, I did this myself but I agree with the above about a bootfitter for the whole process would be good.
snow conditions
Hey team

For those using it at Hemel, I know it isn't meant to work due to GPS, but how are you finding it? Does it work for you?

I just bought Carv this week in the black Friday sale. I have been tempted with these ever since they were on Kickstarter. Shame I didn't go for it then! O well, it's good I can easily see myself renewing each year.

In the summer (pre-COVID) I try to go to Hemel at least once a week.

Let me know your thoughts!
ski holidays
I had a nightmare trying to fit my Carvs in my boots!
The top of my foot, where it meets my ankle, is unusually high. This also makes my medial malleolus high.
Just getting boots to fit is a major mission.
This issue means that anything that raises the height of my foot crushes it into the top of the boot. This is a problem without any additional inserts.
The addition of the Carv insert was clearly not going to work.
In order to create enough room for the Carv I had to remove the boot baseplate which adds about 3mm of height, cut a replacement heal insert from wood and superglue a strong 1mm flat insole to it, cut to boot size.
I then took my custom insoles, which added quit a bit of height, and sanded as much as I dared off the bottom to drop my foot as much as possible.
I am absolutely no boot expert, so I began these alterations with some trepidation, but I was spured on having watched an extensive video from a boot fitting guru who said not to be scared to try adjustng your own boots.
The results were impressive. Not only does the Carv now fit perfectly but, with the extra alterations, the boots generally fit me much better.

BTW from watching that video, I have also glued a sheet of neoprene into the front of my boots allowing greater forward contact and pressure. This also seems to work well. Very Happy
ski holidays
Does anyone know if the connectivity issues with the Samsung Galaxy S20 phones (or general phones with the Snapdragon 865 processor) have been fixed?

I'm tempted to buy a Carv due to the current Black Friday discounts, but my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G (with the Snapdragon 865). Carv's website report connectivity issues with phones with this processor (and explicitly mention the S20 range). I contacted Carv to see if the issue had been solved (which according to them Samsung promised to do a while ago) and their response was:
"In relation to the potential difficulties using the Snapdragon 865 processor on a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G, unfortunately we have been unable to test this and are therefore unable to specifically confirm whether this has been fixed".

I'm also concerned about the fit (I can't even wear regular ski socks cause then my boots get too tight - I only wear those extra thin Mico X-Race socks), but first I'd like to know if it'd even work with my phone at all.
ski holidays
There is a carv community Facebook group who may be able to answer your question

https://www.facebook.com/getCarv/

Look in groups and ask to join.

As to fit, they do take up some space so as your boots sound very snug you may need to get them adjusted to accommodate the 2-3mm thickness of the carv pads
latest report
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
Does anyone know if the connectivity issues with the Samsung Galaxy S20 phones (or general phones with the Snapdragon 865 processor) have been fixed?

I'm tempted to buy a Carv due to the current Black Friday discounts, but my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G (with the Snapdragon 865). Carv's website report connectivity issues with phones with this processor (and explicitly mention the S20 range). I contacted Carv to see if the issue had been solved (which according to them Samsung promised to do a while ago) and their response was:
"In relation to the potential difficulties using the Snapdragon 865 processor on a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G, unfortunately we have been unable to test this and are therefore unable to specifically confirm whether this has been fixed".

I'm also concerned about the fit (I can't even wear regular ski socks cause then my boots get too tight - I only wear those extra thin Mico X-Race socks), but first I'd like to know if it'd even work with my phone at all.

Tempted myself, but have a S20 plus, so have asked the question on the facebook group. See what the response looks like.
latest report
Black Friday deal at the moment, £75 instead of £150 for the hardware and same price on the subscription. I've just asked Santa as it's hopefully going to be more fun than socks.
latest report
Just caught up with a friend who was fortunate enough to spend most of last winter skiing being “lockdowned” on the content earlier this year.

He is a software developer and Carv user and has spent significant time working with Carv trying to resolve this to no avail.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
barracuda wrote:
Just caught up with a friend who was fortunate enough to spend most of last winter skiing being “lockdowned” on the content earlier this year.

He is a software developer and Carv user and has spent significant time working with Carv trying to resolve this to no avail.

Thanks for the update. So the Galaxy S20 issues have not been solved yet?

swskier wrote:

Tempted myself, but have a S20 plus, so have asked the question on the facebook group. See what the response looks like.

I also posted a message there yesterday morning but I think it hasn't even been accepted by the moderator yet (even though other messages have been posted in the meantime). You had the same I guess?
ski holidays
@Gustavo the Gaper, yes same here, still hasn't been posted on the group.

I went ahead and ordered anyway based on the deal running out, and if it doesn't work, i'll send it back within the 100 days and get a refund
ski holidays
swskier wrote:

I went ahead and ordered anyway based on the deal running out, and if it doesn't work, i'll send it back within the 100 days and get a refund

Cool! Please keep us posted!
I'll try to decide in the next few hours heheh, I'm keen but there's a lot of "ifs" (not sure my phone's compatible, not sure it'll fit well in my tight boots, not sure I have to pay VAT for delivery in the Netherlands, not sure how much skiing COVID will allow us to have this season... etc etc).
snow conditions
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
swskier wrote:

I'll try to decide in the next few hours heheh, I'm keen but there's a lot of "ifs" (not sure my phone's compatible, not sure it'll fit well in my tight boots, not sure I have to pay VAT for delivery in the Netherlands, not sure how much skiing COVID will allow us to have this season... etc etc).

On the boots - they are thin 1.75mm - the solution is a very quick baseboard grind at any boot shop, if you really have issues fitting them in your boots.

On the subscription - they told me on the phone they would delay the activation until I went skiing - so that gave me some confidence re. covid

On the VAT/customs you shouldn't pay for the EU
https://help.getcarv.com/en/articles/4449478-how-much-does-shipping-cost

Quote:
We offer free shipping worldwide with UPS Express Saver.

Orders to countries outside the USA and EU may be subject to country-specific import fees, customs fees or duties. These charges are the sole responsibility of the customer.
latest report
barracuda wrote:
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
swskier wrote:

On the boots - they are thin 1.75mm - the solution is a very quick baseboard grind at any boot shop, if you really have issues fitting them in your boots.

On the subscription - they told me on the phone they would delay the activation until I went skiing - so that gave me some confidence re. covid

On the VAT/customs you shouldn't pay for the EU
https://help.getcarv.com/en/articles/4449478-how-much-does-shipping-cost

Quote:
We offer free shipping worldwide with UPS Express Saver.

Orders to countries outside the USA and EU may be subject to country-specific import fees, customs fees or duties. These charges are the sole responsibility of the customer.

That is very comforting! I wonder if delaying the activation is an option they're willing to offer everyone. I'll ask for it as well heheh.
I was actually under the impression they were 3mm thick. 1.75mm is considerably better in my case (normally I can't even wear regular ski socks cause it gets too tight; I only wear those extra thin ones).
Earlier today I put some inserts in my boots to try it out for a couple hours (which made my girlfriend very confused - who wears skiing boots while making lunch) and 1.75mm should be just good enough I think/hope.
Many thanks!
snow report
Their website does say:
"Since Samsung fixed the crash, we haven’t been able to reproduce the corruption. This backs up the theory that the two issues are linked and probably have the same root cause."
https://help.getcarv.com/en/articles/5178986-snapdragon-865-bluetooth-issues-on-android

And "When testing the following Android models, no problems were detected: (...) Samsung Galaxy S20"
https://help.getcarv.com/en/articles/4621973-android-compatibility-testing

So it sounds like it has been fixed... but then I wonder why customer support told me they did not know whether it had been solved (they said they hadn't tested the S20 models again)... confusing.
snow conditions
@Gustavo the Gaper, good first post on this thread which is where the 1.75mm came from. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152014#3547874
snow conditions
swskier wrote:

Well, just did the same hahah, ordered a pair as well. Let's see how it goes!

Thanks all for all the info / tips!
snow report
Just a little update, to whom it may concern: a few folks have responded on Facebook (I think 3-4) saying they have a Samsung Galaxy S20 and have not had issues using Carv. So hopefully it's all solved now.
snow report
Small update from me. One of my trackers had started flashing red, contacted Carv and did a bit of trouble shooting. Seems there is an issue with it. Even though I purchased mine back in 2017 ( or perhaps because) they are supplying a free replacement!
Excellent service again from them.
Oh and at one point I was the third best skier in Andorra.... Laughing
latest report
pieman666 wrote:
Small update from me. One of my trackers had started flashing red, contacted Carv and did a bit of trouble shooting. Seems there is an issue with it. Even though I purchased mine back in 2017 ( or perhaps because) they are supplying a free replacement!
Excellent service again from them.
Oh and at one point I was the third best skier in Andorra.... Laughing

Great to hear it, and kudos on the "bronze" performance hahaha!

On the "small updates" note: my boots are very snug (I only wear extra thin socks, cause regular socks cause pain), thus I had my doubts about purchasing Carv.
Now that I received it and tried it at home... well, I can definitely tell there's a small difference; it's a tad tighter and the fit is just ever so slightly different. Not sure yet whether in practice it'll be just too tight or just barely not, I'll have to see when I use them on the piste (I was supposed to be in Fiesch now doing exactly that, but a friend did me the FAVOUR of coming over to wax his board last Tuesday while having Covid... so now I missed my trip to stay isolated for precaution).

Bottom line, don't expect to feel no difference whatsoever in your boots' fit when adding the insert, especially if your boots are tight fitting.
ski holidays
I used Carv for the first time (outside of a snowdome) in Italy last week, and was generally impressed - I only used it in freeski mode, and with audio tips switched off, as I was skiing with friends and I didn't want it to get in the way of the social side. So I used it mainly at the end of the day to look at my stats, and was generally impressed by the level of detail.

Some initial observations (which may be quite obvious);
- the runs I did earlier in the day were always better than my later runs (probably as my legs got more tired).
- my scores improved as I went through the week
- my best iq scores were done on blue runs, which is tough as most of the runs we skiied would have been reds - and even the blue runs we did, typically would merge with a red at some point, so my scores would drop.
- conditions obviously played a big part, especially as a lot of the reds we skiied were very icy (and steep!).
- however, knowing the app was on did get me to focus on technique, especially when we did get on a blue - so rather than just blasting down it, it made me slow down and really focus on technique.

Because I ski with others it's hard to do any of the training modes, but am hoping to try them when I hit the snowdome - although I notice most of the training modes need 20 turns in make it work properly. Has anyone tried using anything other than freeski mode in a snowdome?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy