Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Experts in here please.

Poster: A snowHead
Right then, on the advice of plenty I’ve taken the plunge and booked a solo trip for a week from Jan 6th next year. Managed to get Manchester Verona flights for £80 and an Airbnb in Campitello di Fassa that seems to charge per person leaving me with a measly bill of £250 if it stays as just me but with space for up two more comfortably if my obnoxious teenager decides he wants to come and is willing to put some effort in or mates change their mind.

I have some ski related questions for those more familiar with the area.

1) I’m aware of some of the restrictions of staying in C di F, must be early at the Rodella cable car to miss the queues and will have to download to get back. Is it an option to ski to Canazei and then get a ski bus?

2) The below plans are very tentative from a study of the area map, how realistic are they for a reasonably quick piste skier and is there anything I’ve obviously missed out? Main aim is good distance on varied pistes and trying to ski as many different pistes as possible.

Day one - Green anti clockwise circuit, with detour off to Malga Ciapel/Mamaloda
Day two - Orange anti clockwise circuit with small detours around Piz Sella & Colfosco
Day three - Green circuit with major detour to explore as much of Alta Badia area as possible.
Day four - No circuit, head over towards St Christina, get the train thingio, to ski as much of the area by Seceda as possible.
Day 5 - Ski bus (grr) to start the day in Pozza, ski the buffuare area AM before heading to Alba and skiing the Belvedere area.
Day 6 - spare in case bad weather disrupts things on one of the other days. Otherwise return to areas favoured over previous days or do the WW1 tour (the buses seems to take up a lot of time which could be spent skiing so not so sure on this).

Thanks in advance folks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Raptor23, can't help with getting effort out of a teenager; if you are successful, publish! Couple comments about the skiing part: the SR is something to do that gives some structure to your day, worth doing once for sure, but it isn't the best skiing. It's "sightskiing". In bad weather there is a chance of getting stuck, so pay attention. Takes me three hours, and I have no preference as to direction. Well-signed except a bit less so in VG. Marmolada is a nice long run and worth doing once, but its three tram rides/lines so allow time. If you've never skied in a tunnel, take a lap on the top tram; there is a road to said tunnel on skier's right that returns to its base. Alta Badia is an intermediate's paradise but nothing challenging other than Gran Risa. Better skiers wanting to do serious laps will go to Arabba or Val Gardena. Maybe save one of the SR days for day four, when you're a bit tired. Finally: plans are great, I like to plan. But if you just wing it you'll still have a great time. I fly solo there and love it. I'm supposed to go back in ten days....hoping I can.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
(Not an expert, but just been there...)

I wouldn't say that staying in CdF limits you. The weather might...

If there are queues, they will be at Col de R cable car and Belvedere lift and Alba cable car - i.e. any Sella Ronda entry points. But in early January? I suspect not really. I've just come back and the queues were crazy all around the SR (the Belvedere chairlifts were almost the worst!) but it was apparently super holiday week.

Ski bus (several of) easily and frequently runs between Alba and Pozza, but getting further afield is more troublesome or involves several busses and much time.

Day 5 is certainly very easy, several options.

If staying in Campitello you can't ski to Canazei (both in valley) but can easily and quickly bus it.
You can ski down into Canazei from Belvedere area and around, also down into Pozza from both sides when above. You can't ski down into Penia /Alba area from Belvedere, but can from Ciampac, which ski links over to Pozza.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Raptor23, Agree about the SR: We've spent the past three holidays in Val G and never once did the whole route in one go. But plenty of times we went halfway or one-third around then came back. But if you've never been to the area it's worth doing once, I think. From Val di Fassa it can be a bit of a hump to get to St. Christina, but I think if the weather is good (i.e., not windy and/or overcast) you'll like going down to Ortisei and back. The Seceda itself is not a big area but when the snow is good it's one of the best spots for ripping groomers and it rarely gets crowded.

Alta Badia is a pretty big area but as noted it's not challenging. But the scenery is wonderful. Just watch out for where the draglifts are...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"1) I’m aware of some of the restrictions of staying in C di F, must be early at the Rodella cable car to miss the queues and will have to download to get back. Is it an option to ski to Canazei and then get a ski bus? "

As Grizzler has said, you can ski down to Canazei a get Bus (5/10 min walk from end of piste to bus stop - couple of bars on the way tho'..)

"Day one - Green anti clockwise circuit, with detour off to Malga Ciapel/Mamaloda" -- I find getting to Marmolada a bit of a pain, maybe change that day to Marmolada first thing and spend rest of day in Arabba working your way back home :: or leave the Marmolada for a Sunny day (no point going on a dull day).

You haven't mentioned the Hidden Valley/Cinque Torre area
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. Marmolada doesn’t ‘look’ that far but can easily believe it is.

I think I may plan to end each day in either Canazei or Pozza and get the bus back, don’t mind bussing it when there’s no lifts open.

Hidden valley seems a lot of faff (bus/horse/queue etc) based on the reports I’ve read, can someone sell it to me, give me an indication of the pistes/lifts involved?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Value.di Fasa and Alba are great . Some nice blacks there.Alta.Badia lovely, nice food.bit not.chaemgong.
SR not worth doing. It's a route to get elsewhere.
Arabba. Great.
passover Podoi. Crowded.
Gardens Christian's and Ortesei. Superb.
Marmoalda, not.worthbtje queues. Average.views for Dompmies and a windswept long bust red. That's it.
Great War ring. Amazing route. Do it.clockwose toxavoid hidden valley faff and docalleghe top to bottom twice.
Have a good play.at Conque Torri.
SLO Panorama route awesome bit you ll do it where you're staying.check out the Great Ski Guide on YouTube.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed in Campitello once, and found it easier to get the frequent ski bus to Canazei to get started. The queues look bad, but move at walking pace. As Cameron said, Marmolada is not worth the hassle. It takes ages to get there, ages to go up the three cable cars, and the ski down is no better than OK. A good trip out from Campitello is to stay on the Canazei ski bus and go to Alba. Gradually make your way round to Pozza, and then get the little bus round the corner. Takes you to a nice little area which is seldom visited. (and, you are right, I can't remember the name.) I love the Hidden Valley, Cinque Torri et al, but can do without the horse tow. You came across taxis offering to take you over that way for modest sums. Worth it.

Do the Sella Ronda each way round once. Colfosco is worth a visit. Very pretty area.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think Hidden Valley is also a do-it-once thing. Beautiful, but hardly any good skiing....its mostly a road, with lots of gapers looking at the scenery. Rifugio Scotoni (halfway down) is fab if you time it right. I do like doing three quick laps on the Lagazuoi tram and then heading for Cinque Torri, though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, forgot to mention Colfosco. It's worth a few hours for the scenery. You are skiing among sheer rock faces, and the snow is often quite good. Because of the rocks (I think), it's one of the warmest and best sheltered areas on the SR. The view from the top of the red run to the left when you reach the midstation is stunning.

There are some great areas on the Val di Fassa side. I really love Belvedere, just avoid that one lift that serves the SR. (You'll know which one it is by the 10-minute queue, though if you're there in January it will probably be empty). You can lap up and down the Toe lift without a wait.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dolomites....

plan your skiing based on refugioes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hobbiteater, +1
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All input appreciated but not a big fan of a huge lunch on the slopes. A good pizza or goulash and straight back on it. Chalet Étoile i made a one day exception for. Seems like Marmolada is a bit divisive. Any other suggestions?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Raptor23, you treat your lunch like many of us Yanks....its fuel for skiing, not an end in itself....so have your quick pizza lunch at Rifugio Luigi Gorza at Porta Vescovo, on top of Arabba. Its very good and sit at the gigantic live-edge ash tables in the sun room. Or, lasagne at Rif. Kristiana near the base of Belvedere chairlift. They took my money with my order so no waiting around for the check etc. and I was out of there in 20 minutes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I get one week a year skiing, I’d rather ski than be sat there filling my face, tempting as it may be with the high quality of the Italian slope food. I’m a decent cook myself, I can have a proper nice meal 365 days a year. Not much me and the yanks agree on.
snow report
@Raptor23,
Quote:

Day one - Green anti clockwise circuit, with detour off to Malga Ciapel/Mamaloda

Quote:

Seems like Marmolada is a bit divisive. Any other suggestions?

Your day 1 plan is feasible but wouldn't leave much time to take in the views from the top of Marmolada or generally get a feel for the area.
In early Jan, if temperature is low, the slopes from Marmolada down to Malga Ciapela can be quite icy and challenging.
Personally I'd include Marmolada in your schedule but not on a day when you also plan to do the full SR circuit. Allow a bit more time, maybe include exploration of the more challenging slopes above Arabba, if that's your kind of thing.

From where your based I'd say Hidden Valley is a bit of a trek for not all that much good skiing. But as said above, it's a tourism experience, if you like things like horse drawn tows, frozen waterfalls, etc.

On both my trips to the area this season (mid Jan and early Feb) I think Val di Fassa had the best snow conditions in the area and tended to be quieter on piste, apart from a few well known bottlenecks.
snow report
Raptor23 wrote:
I get one week a year skiing, I’d rather ski than be sat there filling my face, tempting as it may be with the high quality of the Italian slope food. I’m a decent cook myself, I can have a proper nice meal 365 days a year. Not much me and the yanks agree on.

A lot easier to go bell to bell with a midday break for lasagne, tiramisu and a doppio macchiato...just sayin'
ski holidays
Quote:

All input appreciated but not a big fan of a huge lunch on the slopes. A good pizza or goulash and straight back on it. Chalet Étoile i made a one day exception for. Seems like Marmolada is a bit divisive. Any other suggestions?

who said huge lunch, personally i stop for 30mins, but the refugios are still the way to plan your skiing - ie lets go to lunch at corona hutta (they might be doing less business this year...) rather than lets go to this area
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy