Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seeing less and less Snowboarders slope side these days.

Poster: A snowHead
James77 wrote:
Ther will always be snowboarders but are we a shrinking club? Puzzled

According to these statistics, in the US, the answer is no you are not a shrinking club:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/376710/active-skiers-and-snowboarders-in-the-us/

But equally the ratio of snowboarders to skiers seems to have settled at something like 25:75 and isn't increasing anymore.

As to which is better/more fun/easier/cooler, etc. that is another very subjective, and endless, debate.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hang11 wrote:
I’m 50, ride 3 or 4 days a week during the season. Don’t suffer too bad for it, but always wonder when the big one will happen that puts me out of action.

You can't switch off like when skiing can you? One false move and Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller wrote:

You can't switch off like when skiing can you? One false move and Skullie Skullie

That’s what I like about it - focus/being present etc. best way to clear the mind.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Poor old @cameronphillips2000 hasn't been paying attention to the market.

Plenty of innovation going on, particularly in the binding tech area. Burton and DC, K2 and a new German outfit called CLEW are all pushing new step-on/in bindings over the traditional ones. And more and more of that tech is coming into the consumer ski arena with new, softer ski boots which use similar tech to high-backs to give the support structure and stiffness without the weight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Skis evolved, boards didn't. To be fair, I,'m not sure how they could.

Plenty evolution still happening in snowboarding.
And you do realise that skis and skiing evolved by utilising snowboard technology, research and design?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thefatcontroller, I used to have that feeling that if I catch an edge I am toast, but that was quite a few years ago now.

Like @hang11 I don't fall much (except a little slip type slide on steep ice) or really think I am going to catch an edge, but if I do fall I worry it will be in to a hidden rock in powder or off the side of a cat track or piste when I am trying to avoid people.

It used to be the case of 'wtf just happened then' no notice type edge catching ... as I dust my self down and look for my woolly hat
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm pretty much with Ray there, It's the unexpected edge loss if you clip a rock, or bit of ice. You've only one edge engaged so if you're committed to that and it's gone it's 100% to 0% in a split second. Skis by their nature mean you usually only lose one edge so can compensate with the other.

As far as cameronphillips2000 goes he does seem clueless as to the source of his twin tips, side cut, early rise rocker etc etc. Bless.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 7-10-20 17:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rogg, maybe those never reached him and he's still rockin' out on some 300+ RRRrrrrossignol Super-straights with the turned up tips, and have the tightest of tight pants.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had one super scary one a few weeks ago. Exposed slope but not steep and ridden it plenty of times before, out of bounds, on my own (which was really dumb), went over a roller, hit blue ice while committed to a speedy toeside turn, washed out, slid about 200m at speed head first on my guts towards rocks. Just managed to get fingertips in and stop before I hit the rocks. Scared the cr4p out of me. Thought that was it for the season. No helmet either.

Did a bit of thinking about that one. Been wearing a helmet and carrying an axe if it's icy now, and no more solo BC.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I should really get a helmet too Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I don't see it. You have the step on binding stuff but that's a tiny market so far. Other stuff imo tends to be gimmicky little things that are more marketing spiel than actual progression. Not that skiing is really progressing either. I wouldn't say it's a problem the tech is pretty good right now, there are no glaring flaws.

I think twin tipped Rocker skis have certainly made skiing an attractive option to would be snowboarders. I love snowboarding and wouldn't consider switching, but if you pushed me I would probably say skiing is superior right now (more practical, better for touring, flats not an issue, extra edge gives more control). Snowboarding is still better in powder, although skis are not far behind, and powder days are the minority of total days on snow for most people.

I don't think injury risk is higher snowboarding. I'm not particularly worried about catching an edge, I can't remember the last time it happened. Speeds tend to be a bit slower than skiing which might help. Skiing still has the knee injury problem, which imo is far worse than general snowboarding injuries.

Quote:

out of bounds, on my own (which was really dumb)

Yep.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think twin tipped Rocker skis have certainly made skiing an attractive option to would be snowboarders.

I bought some new skis a couple of years ago and stupidly didn't notice the turned up tails. These tails catch each other when trying to skate, create horrendous plumes covereing the people behind you in snow and a nightmare to get into the ski slots on telecabines.. I cannot see any point in them other than styling. I'm contemplating sawing them off. It made me realise that you should never buy skis in the UK and only buy them after a day's testing in the resort.
Quote:

Skiing still has the knee injury problem

This could be easily solved by wearing knee braces all the time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
I bought some new skis a couple of years ago and stupidly didn't notice the turned up tails.

Are you serious Shocked Shocked You'd not heard of twin tips before then? You don't read the specifications of the ski?

johnE wrote:
These tails catch each other when trying to skate

Tend to make the skis a tad longer but you just need to make a small adjustment - shouldn't be a big issue.

johnE wrote:
create horrendous plumes covereing the people behind you in snow

Most people would see this as cool.

johnE wrote:
and a nightmare to get into the ski slots on telecabines..

That is true, though there is a method to it that largely overcomes the problem. Basically put one ski in first and then the other. Other than that use two slots.

johnE wrote:
I cannot see any point in them other than styling.

It's for skiing switch i.e., backwards - mainly park or freeriding.

johnE wrote:
It made me realise that you should never buy skis in the UK and only buy them after a day's testing in the resort.

Or just read the info on them before you buy rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Not really. You either have a flimsy brace that won't provide enough stability to prevent knee injuries. Or you have something heavy duty which will prevent knee injuries, however the force will just be moved somewhere else meaning a likely broken leg instead. If it was that simple a solution we wouldn't still be seeing injuries.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
... Plenty of innovation going on, particularly in the binding tech area. Burton and DC, K2 and a new German outfit called CLEW are all pushing new step-on/in bindings over the traditional ones. And more and more of that tech is coming into the consumer ski arena with new, softer ski boots which use similar tech to high-backs to give the support structure and stiffness without the weight.

wink At least some old snowboarders become very conservative though: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153481

This is also a useful read:
https://www.gearpatrol.com/outdoors/a625668/snowboard-boots-history/

In my view the main changes in equipment have simply made things more accessible, broadening the market size by making
it easier for novices to ride or ski. I'm all in favour of change, but as you're probably already past peak snowboarder/ skier, a target of
increasing penetration isn't really sensible any more.

Snowboards have been pretty static for a few years now - the reverse-camber thing came and went and it turned out that ski
and snowboard mechanics are different. Skate tricks and parks seem less interesting these days, with more drive coming perhaps from
split boarding. But maybe that's just my perspective and the lack of skate-oriented magazines.
snow conditions
Quote:

At least some old snowboarders become very conservative though: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153481

I wouldn't say we are conservative. Simply strap in bindings are not an issue for many of us. Also there is the issue of compatibility with step on bindings still offering very limited boot choice. They also cost more. They are the reasons I wouldn't consider step one right now, I've heard performance is fine though.

Quote:

with more drive coming perhaps from split boarding

From what I've seen more people are going towards hard boots, dynafit toe binding, and phantom bindings set up. Split board performance has definitely improved over the years. Not sure how much further it can go. I think we have to accept that split boarding is always going to be slightly less optimum than skiing for touring.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
They also cost more

Not really,
My stepon setup cost £570
The comparable boot is £320 rrp the bindings they replaced (flow fuse hybrid) cost me £250 new
ski holidays
Quote:

Not really,
My stepon setup cost £570
The comparable boot is £320 rrp the bindings they replaced (flow fuse hybrid) cost me £250 new

Burton is selling the step on version of the ruler and photon boots for £300 and £370 respectively. Snow and rock has the regular version of the boots listed at £225 and £320 rrp respectively. (Actually both regular versions are on sale for about £45 less than rrp).

Who buys bindings at full price?! There are always sales. Right now flow fuse hybrids are about £150 in multiple stores.

I guess maybe once there are more step ons being produced we will see clearance sales. Right now supply is more than demand so everything is being sold at RRP.

Step on option is definitely more expensive, the only question is how much more.
snow conditions
@boarder2020,
You are comparing sale prices to rrp
You are comparing previous season gear to current season.

My photon boots was 291+vat
Binding 183+vat

I had GT Hybrids, not the basic hybrids

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 9-10-20 17:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I’m keen to give hard boots a go on the split. Bloody hard to get hold of though. Gotta say I’ve been really enjoying getting out on a split. And will be in about 10 minutes time once I’ve had a coffee Happy
ski holidays
@mregg nope I'm comparing rrps. Even if I wasn't does it really matter, surely what people actually pay is more important than rrp? I don't know anyone that pays RRP for snowboard gear other than emergency situation needing to replace something in resort. The fact is you can get some perfectly good Burton cartels and some regular Burton rulers for £335 right now. The step on Burton rulers cost £300 alone.

@hang11 yep know a few people that made the switch and swear by it. As someone that rides stiff snowboard boots anyway the switch is very tempting. Should be much better uphill (stiffer boots, pivot Infront of toe, less weight on foot). Will be interested to see if there is a compromise on downhill. It's a lot of money to invest on a whim though without trying it out first which is not so easy to do.
ski holidays
Anyone seen the 'Grizl' tablet that is also a Hover board?
snow conditions
@boarder2020, I’ve spoken to a couple of people that use them, but I would say they are mountaineers with snowboards, way past my comfort zone, but they rate the phantoms.

I wear malamutes, but get a bit jealous of skiers side hilling - it’s clearly a lot more efficient for them.
snow conditions
James77 wrote:
Quote:

I’m trying to learn how to ski after 20 years of boarding. But as soon as i see a few feet of the powdery stuff I feel fewer and fewer like sking

I think you meant less and less like skiing?

I think you've missed the joke there! wink
ski holidays
I wouldn't have stuck with snowboarding if I knew how much more versatile skis would become.

In fact I wish my skiing was as good as my snowboarding because it would open up more terrain.

Snowboarding traverses and flat ski outs get harder the older you get.
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Not really. You either have a flimsy brace that won't provide enough stability to prevent knee injuries. Or you have something heavy duty which will prevent knee injuries, however the force will just be moved somewhere else meaning a likely broken leg instead. If it was that simple a solution we wouldn't still be seeing injuries.

Monoskiing shares the lateral forces between both knees (that independently impact the knees of 2 plank Skiers) due to the knees being together all the time. Many a Skier has been able to get back onto the Slopes again as a Monoskier after they gave up skiing due to the wear and tear toll on their knees that many years of normal skiing has wreaked upon them. There are also Split versions...

http://youtube.com/v/R5730IQagZg&list=PL85FD1E49691EC6F7
latest report
kosmoz wrote:
The one who drives volvo/toyota or another kind of boring car, had 1 to 5 women in his life, is fat and boring - natural born skier.

The one who gets all the attention from women, drives powerful rwd car - a rider/snowboarder.
Well that must account for schumacher so, it was because he was a natural born border and the poor fella took up skiing.
ski holidays
That monoskiing video is awful, I can't imagine anyone wanting to ride like that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

That monoskiing video is awful, I can't imagine anyone wanting to ride like that.

I also cannot see why anyone would want to ski backwards, do 360 turns, unneceassary turns, jumps etc, but it appears some people do. I've even seen people on skis doing it.
snow report
^
This public service announcement was brought to you by the Fun Police.

"The Fun Police: Extinguishing the spark of human joy since 1934"
ski holidays
BoardieK wrote:
That's a very odd style - it doesn't look like he's learned to carve the thing at all. That's not very typical.
latest report
That thing must be detuned to within an inch of its life not to catch an edge.
latest report
Mono guy looks utterly joyous and is skiing it in a very modern ski style. Those things are hard and he's making it look easy. Mind you my first and only experience on a mono stopped me getting on a snowboard for the first time for a few years.
snow report
Snowboarders don't need a revival. Snowboarders don't care if the slopes are mostly full skiers. Snowboarders care about snowboarding.
snow report
Backcountryboarder wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Skis evolved, boards didn't. To be fair, I,'m not sure how they could.

And you do realise that skis and skiing evolved by utilising snowboard techno
Quote:
logy, research and design?

Agree completely having done both since the mid 80's (that old!) One issue is snowboard boots and bindings has been stagnant for nearly 30 years. I remember renting Koflach snowboard specific boots 30 years ago that clipped in as hardboots, and not the Euro carving style boots you still see sold. Worked well and a universal system, the problem with company specific boots and bindings is any lack of universal standards, I foresee many of the new systems ( Burton) going the way older click in systems.

Roll on s more specific hardboots for SB ( i.e. Phantom Slipper) it's not s new idea!
snow report
@JoeMellor, But if the slopes are full of skiers, where are the boarders gonna sit? snowHead snowHead
snow report
Good point, well made Very Happy
ski holidays
Plenty of sitting room on the slopes this winter.
latest report
After trying boarding in hard ski boots in France in the mid 90’s I finally took the plunge when BA lost my skis on a flight to whistler for the Millennium . We arrived in blizzard and the guy in the ski shop said try boarding so I took the plunge . 3 days later we were climbing spankeys ladder , in the back country and at the Blackcomb lip , with 1 meter of fresh powder and ive never looked back . Now in my mid 50’s I have no intention of going back to ski’s , I can tackle any slope a resort has to offer , I can get up a fair bit of speed and I can carve to my hearts content , who cares about looking cool at my age but I can say my boots are more comfortable and whilst being on piste just feels more liberating than what I can remember from skis , it is when you are off piste in the powder that boarding takes it to a higher level . Here’s to the past 20 years and perhaps optimistically another 20 years on a board .
latest report
gwatts10, Good point, well made Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy