Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seeing less and less Snowboarders slope side these days.

Poster: A snowHead
I couldn’t care few about the grammar issue, since less people care about grammar these days, more about sense. On the other hand, since I would like to be one of the less/few pedantic people on here I perhaps should care more. Or less.

But let’s look at some research. First, a case study. My son was taught to ski to competition standard and then took up boarding at age 13. He learned to carve in two weeks and went off with guide friends all over mountain, with high competence. This was very annoying. Boarding is increasing according to this very limited perspective.

However - the annual Swiss survey of snowsports shows only slight change in the ratio of skiers to boarders 2005-2012 - 48k skiers 15k boarders 2005; 51k skiers 15k boarders 2012.

See https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-52755-0_3

This paper also deals with Whitegold’s pattern of injuries issue. There are major differences, both in pattern of injuries, frequency and seriousness. The rates of injury for snowboarders seems higher in all studies; see

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22268231/

Which is what I tell my son. He doesn’t listen.

Now...according to Statisica in the USA there were 14.0m skiers and 6.0m boarders in 2007; and 15.0m skiers and 7.0m boarders in 2017.

and quite a few articles on why the ‘death of snowboarding’ articles which appeared a few years ago were just hype.

I personally find snowboarding unattractive due to (i) having to change the way I turn to match the turns of my son; (ii) make excessive room for the board on the roofrack (iii) deal with my son’s snugness in powder (iv) be humiliated by being constantly reminded how comfy he is walking to the lift, compared to my boots grinding on the gravel in the car park. But most of all (v) I am sh+t at snowboarding and every time I do it I just think - I could be enjoying myself...if I was skiing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
valais2 wrote:
I couldn’t care few about the grammar issue, since less people care about grammar these days, more about sense. On the other hand, since I would like to be one of the less/few pedantic people on here I perhaps should care more. Or less.

But let’s look at some research. First, a case study. My son was taught to ski to competition standard and then took up boarding at age 13. He learned to carve in two weeks and went off with guide friends all over mountain, with high competence. This was very annoying. Boarding is increasing according to this very limited perspective.

However - the annual Swiss survey of snowsports shows only slight change in the ratio of skiers to boarders 2005-2012 - 48k skiers 15k boarders 2005; 51k skiers 15k boarders 2012.

See https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-52755-0_3

This paper also deals with Whitegold’s pattern of injuries issue. There are major differences, both in pattern of injuries, frequency and seriousness. The rates of injury for snowboarders seems higher in all studies; see

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22268231/

Which is what I tell my son. He doesn’t listen.

Now...according to Statisica in the USA there were 14.0m skiers and 6.0m boarders in 2007; and 15.0m skiers and 7.0m boarders in 2017.

and quite a few articles on why the ‘death of snowboarding’ articles which appeared a few years ago were just hype.

I personally find snowboarding unattractive due to (i) having to change the way I turn to match the turns of my son; (ii) make excessive room for the board on the roofrack (iii) deal with my son’s snugness in powder (iv) be humiliated by being constantly reminded how comfy he is walking to the lift, compared to my boots grinding on the gravel in the car park. But most of all (v) I am sh+t at snowboarding and every time I do it I just think - I could be enjoying myself...if I was skiing.

@valais2, Happy Christmas.......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks TFC - my i-v needs to be read with tongue in cheek

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 25-12-20 11:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
With this lockdown belly, there wont be less of me........ Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Ill prob have my own postcode Embarassed Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I am sh+t at snowboarding and every time I do it I just think - I could be enjoying myself...if I was skiing.

OK, May I ask why you are doing it?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many reasons for the downturn, including:

Perceived high cost ..... is skiing not so expensive??

Relentless wrist injuries.... boarding for almost 16 years never hade an problem with my wrists...

Damaged spines and lower backs.....again : boarding for almost 16 years....

Constant clipping and unclipping boots on lifts and flat trails .... yeap thats a think...but i am still able to do it...when not, i will buy the step in bindings

No poles for balance or a comfort blanket ... better without poles...a friend of mine had a thumb accident because of the pole
Perceived as childish, like skateboards (especially by women).... ???? wtf??? who cares

Perceived as heavy (especially by women).... again WHO CARES

Most women dislike snowboarding ... and once again WTF cares...if i want to find a woman i will go somewhere else...not to La Grave

Boards make a bad scraping noise on ice, which scares nervous male riders....skiing or boarding on ice is dangerous....avoid it

Harder to make sharp turns....who said that??? when someone can board really good, he make sharp turns

Harder on the steeps.??? see abowe

Almost impossible for most riders in the bumps (moguls). ... once again see above

Global boiling means less powder (where boards excel).... yeap and?? the fat skies?

Ski planks for onpiste got (much) better since the 2010s. ... and?

Ski planks for offpiste got (much) better since the 2010s. .. .and?

Boarding has gone out of fashion.....well once again... who TF cares? are you skiing or boarding because it is in fashion (however did you see in Korea or Japan?)

Anyone aged over 40yo on a board looks ridiculous (like a child's skateboard).... i am 45...i dont give a XXXX....if that is important for someone, well....he can have a Bogner Jacket ...and Helm...or find another hobby

If current trends continue, snowboarding will be all but dead by 2050.... i dont think so but ok...who knows

For any hope of a revival, snowboarding is probably going to have to add tech and go "smart".... snowboard bring the revolution with short fat rocker skis etc....without snowboarding, we were probably in 1985 when for someone who is 1.80 the skies hat do be 1.90

If Apple made an iBoard, and sold it for $1,000, you can bet millions would hop back on a snowboard in a flash..... ok... have a nice day

PS sorry for the mistakes....the last ten years i am tryin to learn and improve my Germans....(and English is not my mother Language)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@valais2,

Ultimately, you are there to enjoy the snow.
Boarding is fun. Skiing is fun. Board with your son. Thats what he wants.... he wont say it, but go to his level f be the dad he wants you to be in that time & moment. You cant buy these times back. You are an accomplished skier. You can have your pow days on skis. You can have days with your son on a board. Sometimes an arm around the shoulder.... other times times its 2 fingers snowHead

But boarding is whoooooooheeeeeee Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
John E - I have most definitely stopped doing it. Used to try a few days each season but reality has triumphed over aspiration. There are some new tricks that as an old dog I can learn. Not having the willies that I am about to catch a front edge is NOT one of them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr egg - points well made, I agree...relationship is all important. Alex (ValaisGrom2) and I have huge fun, are very close and I write tongue in cheek a lot of the time. I love being with him on the hill whatever discipline we each are doing. It has been a huge pleasure watching him develop from the age of 2 into an accomplished guy in a lot of disciplines. He has had the benefit of time with some great guides and instructors (thanks to Yves Caillet, a wonderful family friend) and he always has taken improvement very seriously. I taught him a lot and now he teaches me a lot. His edge hold is something, on skis or board, to the extent that he can do short turns on things which everyone else is sideways on. I felt a very warm glow when we were in zero visibility on a boilerplate slope, and I stopped to ask 'are you OK, Alex' and he said 'fine...it's only skiing, dad...' - and I thought with a smile...my job is done....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
valais2 wrote:
I stopped to ask 'are you OK, Alex' and he said 'fine...it's only skiing, dad...' - and I thought with a smile...my job is done....

Lovely.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just had a look at the livecams from Les Arcs and for the first time ever there are the same number of boarders as skiers.

At the Combettes lift there were 3 boarders, by the look of it all young men. One stood up and slid down for a metre before falling. The rest remained lying on the snow. 3 young childen were being put into skis.

Both groups were outnumbered by people on sledges and snow shoes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They have gone now Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Background is a factor. Seems natural that kids who skateboard will be exposed to similar trends in snowboarding though media and social groups and being able to skate (or surf) gives you quite a head start on a snowboard. That was a big influence along with surfing when snowboarding started.
There has been a massive transition in skiing from about 25 years ago helped enornously by technology changes and then image change.
I dont think in the park it is tribal anymore, people just do what they do.
Seen the same with surfing and bodyboarding, that had something to do with breaks suddenly becomeing twice as crowded of course.
If I had time I'd do both (ski and board) but save boarding especially for good off piste, one edge on hard pistes doesn't appeal. I don't have the time however so skiing it is.
Agree there are fewer boarders nowadays, skiing is acceptable for impressionable image conscious teenagers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2, We learnt to snowboard late in life and I've tried many sports but learning to board nearly broke us. We prefer to board but conditions need to be very good, ice and boards don't mix and we find we can't only do 2-3 hours max in a day and I'm always grateful when we get in not to have spinal injuries! We ski for a leisurely day and its much easier.

That said our 3 kids learnt to ski but then tried boarding a few years ago and all 3 now says they would never put skis on again....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fantastic to see so many people care. You do wonder these days... I'd say, if you enjoy snowboarding, Japan is the answer. Lots of powder, lots of joy (unlike European hard-pack/ice), lots of space (even in Niseko) and an even 50/50 skier to rider split in my experience of the mainland and north island. Mike Pow is the oracle on this, but it is far less expensive than you think, and if you can tolerate the flight/time difference, an epiphany may occur!
snow report
I honestly don't know a single other boarder who's even bothered about 'how many skiers are on the slopes these days'

Perhaps we're just too busy riding, have no historic sense of entitlement ...... or unresolved envy issues NehNeh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy