Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help with first ski purchase

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

First post on the forum. Like many I guess I am looking for the advice of the experts!

I’ve been skiing for ~10 years intermittently, but since moving to Norway a few years ago I have been skiing more, especially since my kids have caught the bug! I have always just rented equipment and I have never even thought about what ‘level’ I fall into. Since it now makes financial sense to buy my own equipment I’ve started thinking about it. Based on the opinions of friends and watching videos on line it seems I fall into a confident beginner/ early intermediate. I’m 169cm tall (~5’7”) and weigh 12 stone.

There are two options available to me in my price range:

Rossignol Hero Elite MT CA 156cm
Rossignol React R2 sport 162cm

Based on what I read it seems I fall between the two target audiences for these skis. The R2 for beginners and the Hero Elite for more experienced skiers. My plan would be to keep these for 5+ years if possible.

So should I go for the beginner that I will be comfortable with from the outset but perhaps outgrow or the Elite which I may have to grow into?

Cheers
Chris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@icesheet, welcome to Snowheads.

I'd say you need to find something in between.

Easiest way is to try before you buy. Go to do a decent shop in resort and try and a couple of options, then buy what feels good to you.

I wouldn't worry too much about progression. What's good now, will be good enough for a while yet. Unless you are going to be doing a lot of skiing with coaching. In which case you would need to be upgrade anyhow as the ski will be tired after a lot of use.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the quick reply! In all honesty I thought that myself but my tight budget and the fact we’re going away for a week this weekend was pushing me into a decision.

I suppose it’s better renting one last time and making the correct decision. Although as I speak the Rossignol R6 has just been announced on deal so that could be an option.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with @Layne.

If buying a new ski, the worst thing you can do, is get one that it is too difficult for your ability - as this could actually see your progress go backwards.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@icesheet,
Quote:

Although as I speak the Rossignol R6 has just been announced on deal so that could be an option.

I was just about to suggest the R4 or R6. The Elite seems too advanced for your abilities and the R2 is Rossi's basic beginners ski, so probably not demanding enough.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Timc wrote:
@icesheet,
Quote:

Although as I speak the Rossignol R6 has just been announced on deal so that could be an option.

I was just about to suggest the R4 or R6. The Elite seems too advanced for your abilities and the R2 is Rossi's basic beginners ski, so probably not demanding enough.

Well I just went into my local sports store about the R6. The seller seemed knowledgeable and agreed with what you have all suggested here, that I am perhaps beyond the R2 and the Elite is a step too far. Anyway I ended up walking away with the R6 and at £125 I don’t think I can grumble at all!

Thanks for everyone’s input
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@icesheet, is that for a new pair with bindings?

Sounds a bargain!

And in Norway!?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne wrote:
@icesheet, is that for a new pair with bindings?

Sounds a bargain!

And in Norway!?

Yeah including Look Xpress 11 bindings. Couldn’t believe it myself. They were 4500kr yesterday and this morning they dropped to 1500kr. So glad I set up price alerts as I would have missed it otherwise, they’ve now sold out.

It’s been a bit of an erratic winter here and there’s just been a lot of snow in the mountains in time for the winter holidays so I guess they’re taking the opportunity to shift a lot of stock.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
According to google 1500kr = £123!

And people say Scandinavia is expensive Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@icesheet, Lucky bargain, they should certainly last you the 5+ years you wanted apart from Rule 3 in The Rules.
Quote:

3: The correct number of pairs of skis or snowboards in your quiver is n+1 (where the minimum value for n is 3 : piste, off-piste/tour and park)

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually it’s surprising how much many day to day items are similar in price. Alcohol on the other hand... the price of a pint would make your eyes water Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timc wrote:
@icesheet, Lucky bargain, they should certainly last you the 5+ years you wanted apart from Rule 3 in The Rules.
Quote:

3: The correct number of pairs of skis or snowboards in your quiver is n+1 (where the minimum value for n is 3 : piste, off-piste/tour and park)

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Haha, my wife will not appreciate this encouragement Razz Razz

I can always say it’s for the benefit of the kids wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Haha, my wife will not appreciate this encouragement

All you have to do is show the very convincing economic argument that you have spent less on buying a pair of skis than you would have spent on 5 years rentals...…………..

and then spend the saving on her. Toofy Grin

Do get into servicing your own skis, not only is it a very satisfying "man cave" activity it also brings you closer to understanding your skis and how they work and ultimately helps improve your skiing.

As for the kids, we let ours know from very early on that we are from the SKI generation

S Spending the
K Kids
I Inheritance Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I’ve already used a similar ploy when buying an espresso machine. I’m now bound to making coffee’s for her every morning!

Yes, I have a few Norwegian friends who are very thorough in servicing and maintaining their skis. Mainly cross country ones but alpine as well.

I’ll float the SKI idea with my daughter. Education is free in Norway anyway wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@icesheet, looks like you got a bargain, and living in Norway you should get plenty of use from them. I doubt they'll last you 5 years though - if you manage to keep hold of any of the savings vs rental, and invest them in lessons, you'll be needing a longer (and probably stiffer) ski sooner than that. So best start planning n+1 now Laughing
ski holidays
@icesheet, thats a good deal. There's been some crazy low prices on skis and winter equipment due to the lack of snow here in Norway.

Was temped with a pair of Head Kore 93 or K2 Mindbender 90 TI/90 C for 2000nok (£170) but decided to pass. Picked up a pair of Lange RSJ 60 boots for the kid for 600nok (£50).

www.finn.no is a good place to pickup 2nd hand stuff, especially for kids stuff.
snow report
Spoon wrote:
@icesheet, thats a good deal. There's been some crazy low prices on skis and winter equipment due to the lack of snow here in Norway.

Was temped with a pair of Head Kore 93 or K2 Mindbender 90 TI/90 C for 2000nok (£170) but decided to pass. Picked up a pair of Lange RSJ 60 boots for the kid for 600nok (£50).

www.finn.no is a good place to pickup 2nd hand stuff, especially for kids stuff.

Yeah, I’ve noticed some amazing deals. Particularly on cross country gear. Actually sales in general in Norway seem to be better than I remember them in the UK.

I’m well acquainted with FINN.no wink. Picked up my daughter and wife ski gear there. Such a great choice of stuff and generally well looked after. In fact I pick up a lot stuff from there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy