Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help with accesible ski for tall person

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm completely lost trying to find suitable skis

I'm around 2 metres tall and 100kg

Looking for something usable off piste that I can improve on that will also be fun on piste, however most mainstream brands with reviews for noobs and large customer bases with similar experience levels don't offer skis long enough in most of their models.

Most recent skis I've been using are Gen1 Whitedot Ragnarok 194cm / Salomon Lord 185cm

I like the nimble edge to edge of the Lords but they're probably a bit narrow and a bit short for me to really use off piste.

The Ragnaroks are probably beyond my capabilities and basically wan to kill me - might revisit in a few years when I have more funds/time to practice.

I need something between the two but in 190cm or so length but I'm really struggling as most AM skis over 190cm are also at least 115 wide.

I need some help to understand what I should and shouldn't be looking for

Zag looks to do some models in the right length for me according to calculators and are in the sale at several online retailers in 190cm+, Whitedot seem to do some more accessible skis for a mix of on and off piste, but little review info online.

Or do I keep the Ragnaroks for heavy snow and get something piste focused, I'm very confused?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The gen 1 WD Rag was basically Freddy Syversens comp ski and the current Rag, whilst retaining the same shape, has had its flex toned down. The current trad version still needs to be piloted by either a strong skier or an intermediate who's a big guy so you'd find it a lot easier than your gen 1 version. The Carbonlite version is a bit softer again but with more pop/rebound than the damper trad version, which makes it very accessible to a wide range of skiers. The Doc, who designed the current Rags described them as "playful yet serious" which I think is a perfect description - whereas your version is a definite charger then really does wnat to kill you.

A number of the current WD skis have had very positive reviews on Blister recently if you search there: https://blisterreview.com/

Even though you're 2m tall, 100kg is not heavy but the Lord isn't that stiff so something beefier and longer would be good. Unfortunately few brands now make a ski for the big guys as it's now commercially viable - WD stopped making their 195 Ranger Pro a few seasons ago. But there are still a few out there. For an all mountain ski I'd recommend taking a look at the Volkl Mantra M5 in 191cm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What size boot do you wear. I'm selling some Countdown 104's 187cm. Good for both on and off-piste. Currently mounted with Salomon Shift bindings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am 193cms, and have the 191cm Volkl Shiros from a few years ago. They are magic in powder
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Longbeing, I know a bloke with similar stats to you and the same problem - he skis Fischer rangers at 194. He’s powerful skier and they’re a stiff ski but Fischer do make the narrower versions in 191.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One of Whitedot’s best 50/50 Skis is the Altum 104 imho, reflected in the Blister Gear Review. The Ronde 110 is another nice ride but I’d say suited to someone a bit lighter if you are a fast skier.

As for the Rags, still remember my first day on those animals, did about 2 turns top to bottom in Tux!! We took the principles of a comp ski and added a ton of accessibility and playfulness to the mix to come up with the Gen 2, of the nicest, easiest yet chargiest Skis I’ve been on. Again Blister Gear has reviews of the Carbon and Trad versions that are well worth looking at.

On the subject of reviews, some of the most well respected reviews online are Exotic Skis and Blister Gear, a lot of the magazine tests are still dominated by marketing £ unfortunately and it comes down to how many adverts you’ve taken out for the season!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS if you want any advice on the Whitedots shoot me an email or message on the Facebook group and I’ll get back to you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am 100kg and 193cm and ski on Dynastar Legends 96 wide and 186 and love em for off piste and they handle hard snow on piste well
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the info - quite a few recommendations for the gen 2 rag so thinking that would be a possibility but still concerned about the width and stiffness.

@reidobi, My BSL is 368mm but may look to get slightly smaller boots in the not too distant future.

@the_doc, I think I might already be discussing a couple of options with a colleague of yours
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@quipuncna, sounds good but I'm mainly after skis right now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy