Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Length for 5' 10" - 170 or 177?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking at some K2 Ikonic 84 TI all mountain skis which is basically a piste orientated ski that can handle other areas of the mountain quite well too. I'm 5' 10" tall and have been skiing 30 years + weigh 81KG and I'm 48 years old. Ski level Advanced / Expert (but not on moguls!) and I can't decide between 170cm or 177cm. Ski in both Europe and Canada so will encounter powder conditions.

Last year I was on Dynastar Legend X88 but found the wider skis couldn't go as quick edge to edge and seemed quite heavy underfoot (which meant you had to be quite energetic to get the best out of them).

Any thoughts / opinions on whether I should go for a 170 or a 177 version? I have skied the 170 length in resort already and it seemed fine but I couldn't help wondering with all that rocker if a slightly longer ski would be better. Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMO. For an All Mountain Ski, that will be used Off Piste, for somebody of your Weight and Skill - Your ideal length would be 180 - 186.....so without a doubt, the 177 would be my suggestion.

FWIW. If you kept solely to Piste, your "ideal" length would come down to 177 - 183.

Personal preference always comes into the decision.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 18-02-20 17:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
170 for me. I'm 6'2" and ski 177 piste skis. You will find that your bumps skiing improves with shorter skis too!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have same height as you - slightly slimmer but not that much.

I have a dynastar 84 176cm. I like it for easy skiing but it falls a bit short of edge length because of the rocker. When I ski it after some time over a carver it feels like there is just no edge and I’m skiing over butter LOL.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
K2 suggest 177s.

I'm 60kgs and ski 177 Mantras which are a bit wider and possibly a bit beefier.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Assuming you're a guy, 177 for sure.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At barely 5'10 and 2 stone lighter I'm enjoying 176cm piste skis, I would definitely be suggesting the 177cm option, particularly if you want it as "all mountain".
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Advanced/Expert?

Do they do anything a bit longer?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m similar height and weight just a tad younger and I have 2 all mountain skis 177cm 92mm for more piste split and 179 100mm for more offpiste split. It’s all personal preference but IMO 177.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc wrote:
Advanced/Expert?

Do they do anything a bit longer?

I think the longest length is 184.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For all mountain I'd be tempted by that.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc wrote:
For all mountain I'd be tempted by that.

If I was 81kg, so would I.....but it's a big jump from thinking about a 170.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
God there are some light people on this forum.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Absolutely 177. I'm similar height and experience but 95kg and ski a full camber damp 183 x 83 as my everyday ski. When I was 80+kg, I always skied 176-178cm in "all-mountain" skis. I would only go with 170 in a much narrower, smaller turn radius ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like a consensus to me ...
snow report
@Vortex - I'm pretty much a carbon copy of you - I went with 173 all mountain (Rossi exp 88 Ti) and now wish I'd gone with the 180 - to get a bit more surface area in the powder and more stability at higher speeds. Saying that they are ok in powder and really easy for short turns on steeps and zipping through moguls.

Wish I'd asked on here first before buying... Very Happy
ski holidays
Measure to the base of your nose, add the length of your boot sole length for optimum ski length. Can open, Worms all over the floor. Of course there are exceptions, slalom skis, DH Skis and Gear Off piste planks, but and all mountain ski this is the way! Measure to the top of the nose "the GNAR" if under 40 and indestructible.
ski holidays
My own opinion, is that height is usually the least relevant metric when choosing ski length......and only works if you are of average weight, for your height.

Weight, ability and aggressiveness are far more important.
snow conditions
I'd say 177 at least as rocker really makes a ski feel shorter on the piste but gives you the float when you need it in softer stuff. At 176 cm tall and 76kg my first all mountain ski was a Nordica Enforcer in 177cm (@CH2O I am just about to retire them after 11 years of hard skiing). It felt the perfect length. I've just bit the bullet on a new pair of Enforcer 104s in 179cm and they should fill the same niche. I also do a lot of skiing on Bents at 120mm underfoot and 185cm in length and with the rocker they are very nimble for tree skiing and much more stable for charging powder.
At your height think about it that a 170 is only 5cm longer than a standard slalom ski Shocked
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies on this, I've purchased the 177cm skis and they arrived yesterday. The shop had set the bindings to around Din 7 (or just under to my eyes) - does this sound like a high enough setting for my weight / ski experience (I'm an experienced expert / advanced skier aged 48 who is 82kg without kit on the bathroom scales).

Will be trying them in Canada in a weeks time!
snow report
@Vortex, Depends on the sole length too.
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing ... apologies that would help. Sole length is 315mm

Thanks
ski holidays
@Vortex, There are online calculators for working out din settings that are the same as the ones used in the ski shops. You should really make your own informed choice on this as it could make the difference between a great ski trip and a visit to A&E.
7 sounds about right for your stats, maybe 8 if you're going to go super aggressive.
latest report
8.2 ish
snow report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
170 for me. I'm 6'2" and ski 177 piste skis. You will find that your bumps skiing improves with shorter skis too!

Mind boggling.
snow report
My stats are the same as yours and I ski with din 7
ski holidays
I'd err on the side of caution and set it slightly low, see if your skis pop off unexpectedly then increase the DIN by 0.5 until they stop. I find that each size/model of ski seems to need a different setting for me to be secure without going too high. My 177 all mountains needed 9 while my longer and fatter powder skis still sometimes pre-released hitting big depressions or landing at that setting, yet 9.5 works most of the time (305mm boot length).

Make sure that your forward pressure is set correctly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy