Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help on a burton snowboard

Poster: A snowHead
just bought a namedropper, i got from the seller that its great all mountain board but just realized it is more of a jib/freestyle board. in your opinion, can the board serve me for mountain and pistes well, or should i return it and take something else? really looking for an easy going board, pretty fast, good on carves,and help improving jumps (again not necessarily parks).. dont really do parks. basically need a good mountain board. Thanks Wink
also on another topic, if i do keep it, which bindings would u take?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Idb1213, Short answer, it'll probably be fine.

Longer answer - Kinda depends... What kind of rider are you. The Namedropper is quite a soft board so may feel a bit loose at high speed over a stiffer stick, but that good torsional flex will allow you to twist it for some nice groomer turn initiation. It'll depend on what you like to do on the mountain and how well it gels with your riding style. Get out on it, ride it for a year and move it on if you don't like it.

Bindings? Go middle ground - Nothing too soft, nothing too stiff. With something nice and flexible like the Namedropper, I'd make sure it comes with a decent gas pedal setup, so you can get the most out of that torsion.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Longer answer - Kinda depends... What kind of rider are you. The Namedropper is quite a soft board so may feel a bit loose at high speed over a stiffer stick, but that good torsional flex will allow you to twist it for some nice groomer turn initiation. It'll depend on what you like to do on the mountain and how well it gels with your riding style. Get out on it, ride it for a year and move it on if you don't like it.

Bindings? Go middle ground - Nothing too soft, nothing too stiff. With something nice and flexible like the Namedropper, I'd make sure it comes with a decent gas pedal setup, so you can get the most out of that torsion.

Thanks for the answer!
would you say burton carel x/union strata would be good? Keep in mind that maybe if i might change the board by next season, i might want the bindings to fit the next board as well (maybe abit stiffer board) so i need something on the stiffer end.. (if you have an idea of a better bindings ill be happy to hear Smile )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, I can't really complain about Cartels as that's what I've got on my board (albeit the older, stiffer ones). I believe that the more recent Cartels sit in the middle of the range now.

The Stratas are a more freestyle oriented binding than the Cartel, and Unions are, IME, a softer binding in general construction - I've tried the Atlas bindings before and found them softer than the Cartels. Maybe look at the Union Force instead.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Basically my board isn't so good for high speeds (35kph+) And sharp curves? More fitted to slow speeds and butters etc? Because i was kinda looking for a mix between the two. I do like the speed tbh and ill be bummed if i get a shaky board at high speeds.. How bad does it perform at high speeds? Can it manage?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I think you're saying that you bought a park board without riding it first, and you don't ride parks.
I don't think there's much to say about your decision making there which isn't obvious.

For beginners, pretty much anything will work so long as it's short and soft,
but they may not want to ride the board they used for the first couple of days for long,
which is why most people use rentals.

It's not really a question of "can it manage".
The trick is to buy the board you find most fun, because that's the one you'll progress fastest on.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philwig wrote:
Well I think you're saying that you bought a park board without riding it first, and you don't ride parks.
I don't think there's much positive to say about your decision making there which isn't obvious.

For beginners, pretty much anything will work so long as it's short and soft,
but they may not want to ride the board they used for the first couple of days for long,
which is why most people use rentals.

It's not really a question of "can it manage".
The trick is to buy the board you find most fun, because that's the one you'll progress fastest on.

Yeah i get you but actually i just trusted the seller at the moment i bought it and only took the time
to check it afterwards. He though said its a great al mountain board and would fit for basically anything. after i read online specs about the board im not so sure anymore which is why i asked here, but i wouldnt want risking my ski trip with the wrong board… so i was wondering how it would react in faster speeds and springy carves, how bad is it relatively to a more “suited” board for this kind of ride style? i would consider myself intermediate, but i would like to get my ride to the next level on the next trip, and mostly ride groom how much of a difference would it make considering what im expecting from my board?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"The Burton Name Dropper Snowboard was designed, built, and refined with the park in mind. The construction revolves around Burton's Off-Axis shapes, meaning everything from the edges to the core profile has been crafted with an open park stance in mind for full symmetry and optimal freestyle performance. After a few laps on this bad boy at your local park, you won't need to do any name dropping, people will be name dropping you"

Honestly doesn't sound what you are looking for. I'd get a refund and buy something more appropriate.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boarder2020 wrote:
Honestly doesn't sound what you are looking for. I'd get a refund and buy something more appropriate.

This.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Idb1213, return it
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don’t understand then why would burton rate it 7/10 for all mountain
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What board have you been riding so far?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had one of these Burton Dominants for a few seasons.
https://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/burton/dominant.html
It's basically a park board, but I rode it all over.
It was soft and playful, and only really ever felt sketchy on boiler plate ( which I normally avoid ).
It was fine at speed on piste and worked well in the powder too.
Every rider gets something different from their boards.
I ride an Endeavour Live now as they use the Burton Channel system, and my current board is meant to be all-mountain, as it is stiffer than the Burton, and has better edge hold on hard stuff, but TBH apart from rock hard stuff, I still much prefer the Burton Park board for all over use.
You say that you ride groom - can you rent one for a day to see what it's like, before sending it back?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WindOfChange wrote:
I had one of these Burton Dominants for a few seasons.
https://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/burton/dominant.html
It's basically a park board, but I rode it all over.
It was soft and playful, and only really ever felt sketchy on boiler plate ( which I normally avoid ).
It was fine at speed on piste and worked well in the powder too.
Every rider gets something different from their boards.
I ride an Endeavour Live now as they use the Burton Channel system, and my current board is meant to be all-mountain, as it is stiffer than the Burton, and has better edge hold on hard stuff, but TBH apart from rock hard stuff, I still much prefer the Burton Park board for all over use.
You say that you ride groom - can you rent one for a day to see what it's like, before sending it back?

Thanks thats quite calming, i can’t try it as i have to choose weather to return it or not before i go ski. i could try it and then maybe sell it online. what is boiler plate exactly?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Short answer, ice.

Longer answer is a particular mean dense, hard, and cold ice, normally you find it hiding under the snowpack particularly when the snow has gone through multiple freeze/thaw cycles.
snow conditions
As we've got older, my boarding friends have been moving towards softer park type boards as they can be a bit more forgiving.

We rarely go in the park, sticking to the pistes when there is no powder available. They don't have any problems going all over the mountain. Having said that, we have all boarded for 20+ years so I expect that helps.
ski holidays
As Sideways sez a soft board will probably be ok in most general use (and a positive benefit in moguls) unless you're a stickler for the hard carve everywhere. Boilerplate hard refreeze being the exception (wait for it to soften up or rent a pair of SL skis is my advice there).
snow report
Thanks everyone.. ill give it a try, hope it won’t be too shaky at speeds.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
What board have you been riding so far?

actually been renting so don't really know.. i can only assume they were all mountain boards
latest report
35kmh isn’t very fast, I would think most boards would be ok at that sort of speed on a nice groomer.
latest report
If you have been on rental gear so far, I suspect you'll find that pretty much anything will be a head and shoulders improvement.
ski holidays
If you can get a refund on it I would, it isn't really what you soudn liek you want.

Saying thart, I had a park board as my only board for ages - I intended for that to be my snowdome/park board and to get a second all mountain board for holidays but didn't get round to it for some time. It was largely 'fine'.

Like others say if this is your first board off hire kit you will find it a vast improvement anyway. I think I only really felt it limited me on icy slopes and going fast. It was obvs fun in the park and for mucking around on.

Moved onto a (no longer with us brand) Weekend Snowboards Adventure Island which was markets as an all mountain board. Currently have a Jones all Mountain Twin and my word that IS a lovely, genuinely all mountain board. Hugely recommend it. Couldn't be more happy with it - feels so confidence inspiring at speeds.

I've got cartels but they are maybe 5 years old now so the older style. I like them.
snow report
Quote:

Currently have a Jones all Mountain Twin and my word that IS a lovely, genuinely all mountain board. Hugely recommend it. Couldn't be more happy with it

Which is the only thing that really matters.... (can you feel the 'but' coming?)

but...

Why did you choose the MT? It is an "All Mountain" board compared to most other brands, but really at the end towards Freestyle. Jones have sold them hand over fist - I almost bought one, and I've never met anyone who regretted it, but whenever I spoke to someone they always pointed at its AM/Freeride credentials over its original purpose as a FS/AM board, especially compared to the rest of the Jones range.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

Currently have a Jones all Mountain Twin and my word that IS a lovely, genuinely all mountain board. Hugely recommend it. Couldn't be more happy with it

Which is the only thing that really matters.... (can you feel the 'but' coming?)

but...

Why did you choose the MT? It is an "All Mountain" board compared to most other brands, but really at the end towards Freestyle. Jones have sold them hand over fist - I almost bought one, and I've never met anyone who regretted it, but whenever I spoke to someone they always pointed at its AM/Freeride credentials over its original purpose as a FS/AM board, especially compared to the rest of the Jones range.

This is the problem. Most of us can tell you a board that we personally love, but how relevent is it? Firstly we probably don't ride the same stuff, the same way, and have vastly different personal opinions on what is good/bad. Secondly without testing hundreds of boards each season how do I really know what I have is actually that fantastic and there's not a better option I've just not tried.
ski holidays
Good question! Why did I choose it? Based on the numerous banging reviews that it is probably the best 'jack of all trades', not hard work, not excelling at any one thing but not horribly compromised at anything either. Plus my 2015 one is super pretty Razz

FYI this is the Good Ride review for my 2015 when I was considering what to buy:
On Snow Feel: The personality of the board never changes from powder to ice or from peak to jib park. You always know exactly what you are going to feel under foot. Many boards personalities change acording to the conditions but the Jones Mountain Twin does not and that’s hard to do in this hybrid world of snowboards. Usually they excel in one condition but falter in another but not this ride. This is why it’s always one of our top recommendations for those looking for a one board quiver. It’s got the stability of camber and the catch free feel of rocker. It’s an easy ride one footing off a chair or flat basing on a long flat run. It’s a forgiving board that applies to a wide variety of riding styles. It’s the kind of board that can butter, carve, ollie, ride switch all over the mountain. It can also stop in the pipe and jump park no problem as well as hit some mellow jibs. There are no surprises

Sounded EXACTLY like what I wanted. Now I might go for something more orientated to freeride and less freestyle as my desire for park has got even lower but no need to change the board yet.

Would I have been equally happy with a different board? Most probably. I would love to be able to demo boards and compare models and manufacturers but have never had the opportunity.

For backcountry I ride an Amplid Miligram Split which again was based on reviews and how light it is. I made a promise to myself that I was going to give myself every advantage possible and splash some cash on a carbon board and good bindings after several holidays battling with a shitty UCPA splits which felt like they were pulling apart all the time, and with those fiddly voile pin bindings.
snow report
+1 on the mountain twin. Killed mine over 5 seasons, don’t own one now but happily would again. Replaced it with a frontier, don’t really ride park but I think I preferred the mountain twin a bit more.

Those amplid splits look nice.
ski holidays
Quote:

Would I have been equally happy with a different board? Most probably. I would love to be able to demo boards and compare models and manufacturers but have never had the opportunity.

Yep this is the problem with any board discussions. Most of us don't have the opportunity to demo lots of boards so we are stuck with our experience consisting of riding a handful of boards and reviews - which can be good or bad.

Quote:

+1 on the mountain twin. Killed mine over 5 seasons, don’t own one now but happily would again. Replaced it with a frontier, don’t really ride park but I think I preferred the mountain twin a bit more.

If it was so good why did you replace it with something different? I have a model of board I like, when the first one was ridden to death I picked up the same model (ok newer version but pretty much identical other than the graphics). When this one dies I'll buy another. Again not saying my board is the best (I haven't tried anywhere close to enough others to even think that's true), but I like it and it works for me.
latest report
Quote:

Yep this is the problem with any board discussions. Most of us don't have the opportunity to demo lots of boards so we are stuck with our experience consisting of riding a handful of boards and reviews - which can be good or bad.

And the reality is.. .are any mid to high end modern 'all mountain' snowboards actually going to be BAD? Probably not.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boarder2020 wrote:

If it was so good why did you replace it with something different? I have a model of board I like, when the first one was ridden to death I picked up the same model (ok newer version but pretty much identical other than the graphics). When this one dies I'll buy another. Again not saying my board is the best (I haven't tried anywhere close to enough others to even think that's true), but I like it and it works for me.

I’m yeti sized and live at the 4rse end of the world - so limited availability of boards in the right size.

Needed a long wide board, no mountain twins available in my size, and picked up the explorer at a good discount. Will replace it with a mountain twin if possible once it’s time.

My most favourite for the last few years has been a rossignol xv 168w. Just love it, especially because I get to ride lots of icy days.
snow report
Do like the XV, good and aggressive - bitey - something you really have to be on top of but can get a real, proper hoon on. Definitely one on my list to check out when I retire the Flagship.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy