Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What helped you buy your first Snowboard?

Poster: A snowHead
How to buy a new Snowboard? What type of board do i need? i cant demo any boards and i dont live anywhere near any Snow domes so im somewhat limited to the internet?
Youtube maybe?
Snowboard Buyers Guide
Forums? like Snowheads? Very Happy
Local Shops?
So many options on line but how do you know what to trust?
Beginner experiances only please i would love to hear what made your decision?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All the above!

Youtube videos are a great resource, as is this forum and various other websites.

Most online shops also have sections to read about shape, camber etc.

However, its also important to determine what you want to get out of the board and what your riding style is (also what boots you are planning to use).

Also (and this is the reason most people say try before you buy), not everyone gets on with every type of board, just because its labelled as a 'beginner' board, that doesn't mean it will suit your riding style.

However like you, when buying, I struggled to rent before buying as the options simply weren't there (but at the second attempt ended up going for a board with a similar camber profile to what I was used to riding, which seems to work okay).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is there as variation in snowboards as ski's.

I don't board but have bought three for my kids (two on ebay and one through snowheads).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Is there as variation in snowboards as ski's.

Tons of variation, as with skis there are different boards for the park, powder, piste riding etc (and then plenty of sub categories within each of those), so a lot to choose from!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you need to buy boots, try loads on and see if you can cut a package deal in the shop with a board and bindings. Do a bit of research on what they have with online reviews and ask on here.

Probably best to go fairly soft all mountain and make sure it’s the right size for your weight.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
An all mountain mid flex directional twin makes most sense to me as a first board - something camber dominant should help instil solid fundamentals. There's plenty of choice just see what you can get a deal on. As hang11 says make sure it's sized correctly. Comfortable properly fitting boots are the most important part of any set up (they should be much tighter than you probably imagine).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

(they should be much tighter than you probably imagine).

Emphasis on this!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What kind of slidey experience are you aiming for?

1) On piste only? Alpine board.
2) Fun park/half-pipe skateboardy type stuff? Freestyle.
3) On/off piste/park, whatever? Freeride.
4) Off-piste/powder only? Powder board.
5) Skint, but super-fit? Split-board.
6) Former ice skater into snowboard equivalent of snow-blades? Skwal.
7) Former skier wanting a single board experience? Monoski.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
try boards before you buy.
If you cant try, then buy a used one.
Best to use one & learn the likes / dislikes & sell it & buy a board that keeps the likes & sorts out the dislikes.
Wash & repeat.
Avoid a Rocker

Yes Basic / Rossignol One LF are decent good boards that you can progress on, which you can usually find for under £250 new
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For a first board, pop not so important, but flex and forgiveness are your friends (squidgy).
Some have raised contact points to make them less catchy, but anything the right size and not too stiff would be a good starter.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Yes Basic / Rossignol One LF are decent good boards that you can progress on, which you can usually find for under £250 new

Yes Basic is an excellent board and sensibly priced for a bit more you can get the Typo which has a Sintered base and a little more tech. As everyone says decide what sort of riding you want to do and try try try. I believe you can demo at the domes with Snow & Rock. My (very) local shop is great for advice too www.thesnowboardshop.co.uk

For what it's worth I currently have a GNU Money a well priced board and, has a hybrid camber so a bit of everything floats well, carves well, holds the edge well. Other opinions are available of course.

I've been riding for 20 plus years and still go for mid flex boards as they're more forgiving and I just want to enjoy the mountains I'm not looking to be scared to death on some plank like super charger! Other people are looking for that experience I'm always impressed to see someone fly past me at warp speed on a board.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I paid the premium to demo current season boards before I bought my first one. I didn’t try many, but I at least knew I liked what I was buying. Otherwise you risk spending the next 5+ years riding something you’re not sure about, as once you’ve got it you’re going to feel compelled to use it.

Try and make your next holiday a ‘demo holiday’. Find a good shop in that resort with a range of boards from manufacturers you’re interested in and ride a different one each day. It only takes 5 minutes as it’s not like you’re reregistering to hire, trying boots etc. every day. Then buy your favourite one in the end-of-season sales hopefully for a decent discount, or maybe from that shop if they take off the rental cost.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Look what used board deals you can find, google for some reviews about that board, angrysnowboarder gives the best reviews out there, you can trust them. Even if you don't like the board for whatever reason you can ditch it with small financial loss, if any. For example, if you buy now or even later in the season you can get a good deal on anything, and if decide to sell at the begininng/in the middle of the season you can get even more than you paid for a decent used snowboard, because market is hot.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The snowboard market cant be that hot as the op is advertising S2AS .

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 8-03-20 1:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tirol 164 wrote:
The snowboard market cant be that hot as the op is hopefully advertising S2AS .

Ha ha didn't spot those links. Shame to see all that good info wasted on a dirty little spammer.
snow report
Just came across this video from SnowboardAddiction with advice for a beginner buying a snowboard - maybe it’s useful. I haven’t watched it yet, but usually their videos are really helpful!

http://youtube.com/v/-GP_HqUvXMw
snow conditions
Hello Very Happy

For me it was: length, type of snowboard (all-mountain, freestyle, freeride, powder etc.), the camber and rocker, width, shape and base material.

Have a nice day Very Happy
snow report
hi, thanks for sharing a video. Normally I am riding a ski, but next year will plan to try board, so start searching where and which better to buy
snow report
@angelo23, I've just picked up my first set up in the sales. I learnt on a traditional camber board borrowed from a mate that was quite stiff (too stiff for a beginner really). Went for the Bataleon Goliath, mid flex, medium camber, so not to stiff and not to soft. Liked the idea of 3BT that Bataleon have in all their boards to help reduce edge catch. Heard some people take some time to get used to but i'm willing to go through that. I was looking at the Evil Twin as well. What @Snow Hound said basically!
ski holidays
also looking for clothes for boarding, have found pants for ski link to tinned meat products?, but don't know if it is ok for board
ski holidays
Hi, I bought my first snowboard set online and I basically only followed all the steps I found on the Internet. However, even though I spent quite some time choosing, I found out really soon that the set I bought just wasn't the right for me. So I ended up selling it after the second day of riding...

Therefore, I would definitely recommend you to consult it with someone experienced Smile
snow report
find a good shop and speak to them.

take your time
snow conditions
Reviews and speaking to people in the knowledge. For what it's worth I'd suggest getting a rocker board as they're simply more forgiving (less likely to catch an edge and stack it).
The lib tech skate banana has a huge following, it's forgiving and good fun. Everything has its haters but I think it will tick your boxes and you wont outgrow it as more avanced riders love it too.
ski holidays
Quote:

The lib tech skate banana has a huge following

Does it? I don't see too many. I think most serious riders think of it as a noodle board, perhaps fun for a bit of jibbing but not for anything else. My advice would be the opposite, get a camber board straight away. Yes there will probably a few more edge catches early on, but you will quickly learn what not to do and develop food fundamentals. Rocker lets you get away with more, but is that a good thing long term?
snow conditions
learning on a rocker will introduce bad habits & make you learn again on a proper board
latest report
To answer the question posed by the thread title:

Money

But to be slightly less facile:

The step from a hire board to your own board can be pretty easy, if you like the board you've hired, offer to buy it from them.
If you don't like it, hire a different board until you have one you like.
If you don't yet know what you like - keep renting.
ski holidays
I'm guessing rocker tech in snowboards is similar to ski's in that there are a mass of variations? As explained here https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ski-rocker-technology.html

Actually just googled "lib tech skate banana" and read this:
Quote:
Its BTX Banana rocker shape combines rocker in the middle with flat-mild camber towards the nose and tail. This raises the nose and tail off the snow making turn initiation easy and guaranteeing float all the while retaining the control and stability of a camber profile.

Which I guess emphasises the point that the choice is not camber or rocker with nothing in between.
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:

The step from a hire board to your own board can be pretty easy, if you like the board you've hired, offer to buy it from them.
If you don't like it, hire a different board until you have one you like.
If you don't yet know what you like - keep renting.

When I was learning to ski and renting I didn't pay much attention to what the ski's were and certainly had no idea what to look for in a ski.

However, the last ski's I bought I did say off the back of renting for a couple of days when I had a binding failure.

I also did buy on recommendation of a guide once.

So, I guess it's not a bad idea but it relies on the person taking note of the ski's they are renting and building up some useful knowledge/experience off the back of it.

Personally I would never buy a rental unless it was a virtual giveaway. There are plenty of second hand boards or deals from places like glisshop that I think over better value in the long run. Rentals won't have been treated with much care by the users or the people servicing them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, yes. You've got cambers, rockers, flats, and any of combos of those together down the length. Also you've got lateral cambers and rockers, Triple-bases, 3D contouring, asymmetric profiles, Spoons and Vees.

The problem with buying or trying snowboards through hire shops is that so few hire places do a decent range of snowboards to actually choose from. Majority of French hire shops will have a pile of bog-standard Head or similar boards, which are designed to be bullet-proof and easy to repair, normally topped with some industrial binding. My 9yo had hire kit a few years ago which (a 138 or similar) and it was heavier than my 158, and I had to take the bindings apart to fix them.

If you want to hire decent snowboard kit, you'll probably have to go hunting for it, and unless you're in one of the big resorts, you may well not find anyone doing good gear.

Personally, go look on eBay. The first board will be your easiest choice - as long as you don't go to some exotic end of the market and stay middle-of-the-road, you'll get something better than hire junk, and learn more about your own riding and more importantly, what you want to get from riding. And, when you're ready to move on, you'll know what you want from your next board.
latest report
research a ton , look at what the specific boards are made out of and what flex you feel comfortable with . also look at the brands obviously burton is a well know but if you need other more budgeted options look at smaller snowboard shops
ski holidays
@angelo23, if there is any way you can spend a day heading to a snowdome and try and demo some before buying...

Even if it's a trek it's worth it. I'm over an hour away from Manchester so went over for a whole day and spent time demoing boards from Subvert. I'd bought one cheap second hand previously, but it wasn't working out for me.

Admittedly I have slightly unique requirements. I have ME/CFS so I need something suitably forgiving for when I'm really Tired and I'm at my limit of energy. It took time to narrow it down...

The difference the right board made was unbelievable.
snow report
Oh didn't see the OP works/owns somewhere that sells snowboards... Spamy spam?! Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy