Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner ski resort early April - help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

First post on the forum and thanks in advance for the help!

I’m planning a ski trip with my wife, she’s a teacher so unfortunately restricted to Easter holidays. Plan is to leave on the 4-5th if April for a week.

It will be her first time skiing, and I wondered if anyone could advise on which European resorts would have good snow on their nursery/ beginner runs.

I’ve been to Val Thoren a bunch, but all the hotels are either V expensive or sold out, similar situation with Tignes.

I was looking into Saas Fee which seems to be high altitude but would love to hear any other suggestions. My main concern is that the nursery slopes at many resorts being lower down will become super slushy and tough for her.

Massive thanks in advace
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ak1990, there are a large number that have both higher and lower nursery slopes.

For example Val d’Isere has the nursery slope at village level but also at the top of the Solaise (if memory serves), similarly Les Deux Alpes again has them up high as well. Both these places are traditionally recommended for April and are reasonably busy as a result (though this year is anybody’s guess!!!)

However I would recommend looking at Mayrhofen - the skiing is all up high, and we had a lovely time last April (we went a week later), and it was amazingly quiet (though how much was because we were the week AFTER snow bombing and you week is the week before).

We are (fingers firmly crossed!!!) going to La Thuile for that week this year but haven’t studied the slopes from a beginners perspective, it is predominantly north facing which should help preserve the slopes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Link to TR in case it helps

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3396253&highlight=mayrhofen#3396253
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hotels and packages will be expensive in school holidays but you might find self catering accommodation available at reasonable cost. If flights are too expensive, consider driving and perhaps enjoying a leisurely drive home. The key decider for your wife's enjoyment will be a really good ski school with small groups. Get recommendations here.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Trysil?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi guys thanks for your quick responses!

@Nickyj - great to suggest Mayhofen! Had not considered the resort but both flights and accomodation are reasonable, so a definite option Smile Any ideas if for beginners if the nursery / greens are high up too so as to ensure enough snow, and also whether they are connected (so that I could ski separately and join the other half for lunch). One other quick one and probably a long shot is if you knew of any good ski schools?

@ Pam_w thanks and this is definitely true, if you have any reccs for good ski schools would hugely appreciate!

best,
Ak
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ak1990 wrote:

@Nickyj - great to suggest Mayhofen! Had not considered the resort but both flights and accomodation are reasonable, so a definite option Smile Any ideas if for beginners if the nursery / greens are high up too so as to ensure enough snow, and also whether they are connected (so that I could ski separately and join the other half for lunch). One other quick one and probably a long shot is if you knew of any good ski schools?

@ Pam_w thanks and this is definitely true, if you have any reccs for good ski schools would hugely appreciate!

best,
Ak

All slopes are up high. There are several nursery runs right at top of Penkenbahn.

I actually learned in lessons on Ahorn which is great BUT it sounds like you are not a beginner so lessons on the Penken would be my suggestions and we found SMT brilliant (and who I learnt with a long time ago)

I would recommend Sunweb (their prices include lift passes).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

if you have any reccs for good ski schools would hugely appreciate!

Not in Mayrhofen, but others probably will. They key thing, I reckon, is guaranteed small groups - not more than 6. I think the choice of ski schools is probably greater in some of the major French resorts but wherever you go it'll be important to book ski lessons as early as possible - some times are more convenient than others.

I'm out of touch with Austrian ski schools but last time I was in one lessons were all day, with a break for lunch. Good for learning if you are fit and very keen (which I was, at the time). But might be hard if your wife is not very sporty - lessons in the morning then a bit of taking it easy in the afternoon can sometimes be more attractive, especially with typical spring conditions leading to slushy slopes in the afternoons. Sitting on a sunny terrace with a beer has a lot to commend it. Ski instructors will know where best to take people for the best conditions throughout the day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
Ak1990 wrote:

best,
Ak

All slopes are up high. There are several nursery runs right at top of Penkenbahn.

I actually learned in lessons on Ahorn which is great BUT it sounds like you are not a beginner so lessons on the Penken would be my suggestions and we found SMT brilliant (and who I learnt with a long time ago)

I would recommend Sunweb (their prices include lift passes).

Hi @Nickyj - thanks again! I'll look both! One quick one - with SMT do you remembe the size of your groups? And also any advice on transportation to Mayrhofen from salzburg - looking into the train at the min. Massive thanks again this is super helpful!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

if you have any reccs for good ski schools would hugely appreciate!

Not in Mayrhofen, but others probably will. They key thing, I reckon, is guaranteed small groups - not more than 6. I think the choice of ski schools is probably greater in some of the major French resorts but wherever you go it'll be important to book ski lessons as early as possible - some times are more convenient than others.

I'm out of touch with Austrian ski schools but last time I was in one lessons were all day, with a break for lunch. Good for learning if you are fit and very keen (which I was, at the time). But might be hard if your wife is not very sporty - lessons in the morning then a bit of taking it easy in the afternoon can sometimes be more attractive, especially with typical spring conditions leading to slushy slopes in the afternoons. Sitting on a sunny terrace with a beer has a lot to commend it. Ski instructors will know where best to take people for the best conditions throughout the day.

@Pam_w - thanks again this is hugely helpful and wife is super a bit of a fitness freak so lessons twice a day is definitely great! Thanks again
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ak1990 wrote:

Hi @Nickyj - thanks again! I'll look both! One quick one - with SMT do you remembe the size of your groups? And also any advice on transportation to Mayrhofen from salzburg - looking into the train at the min. Massive thanks again this is super helpful!!!

We flew to Salzburg as we had a second set of flights to use, I think Innsbruck and Munich are closer (but haven’t researched). We hired a car which was cost effective for us as a family if 4.

I can’t add any more. We booked private ski lessons, as my daughter is in Autistic spectrum and doesn’t do well in groups, so I didn’t check max class sizes however, I certainly didn’t observe the insanely large groups we did observe with ESF (and club med) this half term.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were in a similar situation last year with my wife never having skied before. We went to Ischgl for 4 days the first week of April and snow conditions were excellent (actually had a big dump on our first day).

The nursery slopes there at the Idalp on 2300 meters altitude, so definitely some of the most snow sure around. My wife was very impressed with the tuition there and made very good progress. In general the resort has plenty of gentle blues for beginners, so would overall recommend the resort.

This year (COVID-19 permitting) we are looking at Obergurgl for Easter. Another very snow sure resort as it is quite high up (village at 1930m) and also has plenty of gnelte blue slopes. We are opting for Obergurgl this time round as it is a little more family orientated than Ischgl.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-snow-sure-nursery-slopes-europe/

I would agree with the resorts in this link.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do you need to be in a hotel? We've booked an appartment in Tignes that first week of Easter break for 740 Euros and, although we are self catering, I guess you could easily eat out. Plus, that was an appartment for 4.

What I did was found an appartment I liked on (on Airbnb, tripadvisor etc - the ones that charge a booking fee) and then spent a little time on research to see if the renter was also renting directly. Bingo! 45 mins of search web the appartment went from 900 Euros to 740 Euros direct.

Might still be nice appartments for 2 people available in Tignes??? But, to be fair you will probably have a lot of alternatives. Heard Obergurgl good that time of year too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mayrhofen town is low.

Everywhere will be green and brown in April.

Head high, to where the village will be white top to bottom.

A proper ski experience.

Make the first time count.

Try Lech, La Rosiere, Val d'Isere, or even La Plagne.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Mayrhofen town is low.

Good thing there are no ski runs IN the town then. rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy