Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Deacon 74 V Head I Magnum

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Help!

I'm having sleepless nights between these two skis!

I cannot find anywhere to demo, so i need some help from you lot!!

I'm an advanced skier, likes to cruise, likes to go fast, carve turns, short turns, with these, i'll be on piste all of the time,

ANy experiences good or bad with the skis let me know!!

TIA!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I loved the Magnum and haven't skied the Deacon.

From what I've read about the Deacon, I would expect them to be a bit more stable and be a little harder work in short turns. I think both will be great fun, with the Volkl rewarding technical ability more and the Head being a little more forgiving.

What weight are you? If on the light side, the Head might be easier. If a heavier, strong, technically sound skier, the Volkl might be a better choice.

Does cost come into it, as the Head is usually much cheaper?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 25-02-20 23:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied the Deacon 74 and love it. I'm 5'8 75kg and skied the 168cm. Carving at speed it's just as impressive as my Volkl Code UVO L 171s but the Deacon is definitely easier to handle at moderate speeds.

Having skied with friends who ski on Magnums, I suspect Old Fartbag is pretty spot on with his analysis, however, the Deacon 74 is very easy and effortless to ski at medium pace.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I tried the Deacons at MK as part of a demo. I found them to be good fun on the indoor slope and were easy to turn and predictable. I have a pair of i.speed skis which I took to MK as soon as I bought them (having loved them as hire skis for many years). I found that they were terrible in the fridge and they were very difficult to manage on such a small slope and at low speeds.

I conclude that the Deacons would be more forgiving than the i.speeds and possibly easier than the magnums at lower speeds. I have a friend who loves the magnums and rips them all over the mountains. I will try a swap next week and will report back..... if I remember! I'm 6'2", 90kg and ski the speeds at 177cm. I find that they work everywhere (except the fridge!). They are stable carvers and also surprisingly good in the bumps - where you can steer with the tips or the tails depending on where you find your balance to be!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Klamm Franzer, What length were the Deacons that you tried?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
177? Certainly the upper end of the 170's. For comparison, I usually ski the snowdome Head's at 170cm and can extract some fairly alarming angles from them, as long as the slope is clear, but I don't think I would like them on an actual mountain!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Klamm Franzer, I think your findings are interesting, in that what worked in a Fridge didn't automatically translate onto the mountain.

I'm 65kg and found the Magnums in a 170, very manageable.....I've never skied in a Snowdome (and the last time I skied on Dendix was in the 80s!).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My husband has just acquired some Deacons 74’s and loves them.

His comments.
Very lively, you need to ski them hard, not sure the evo does anything but hard to tell. If you lean back slightly to brake or be lazy they will punish you. Great grip on steep icy slopes as long as you ski them hard and trust them. A friend in a hire shop calls them boomerang skis as people often hire them and return them the next day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
muppet wrote:
My husband has just acquired some Deacons 74’s and loves them.

His comments.
Very lively, you need to ski them hard, not sure the evo does anything but hard to tell. If you lean back slightly to brake or be lazy they will punish you. Great grip on steep icy slopes as long as you ski them hard and trust them. A friend in a hire shop calls them boomerang skis as people often hire them and return them the next day.

That was exactly my suspicion.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Old Fartbag, Your comments about a heavier, technical and strong skier describe my other half very well.

He does love the Deacons but they don’t suit everyone.

OP where are you trying to demo them ? We’ve found Intersport very helpful recently.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got some Deacon 76 pro (with Marker wc piston plate) and find them brilliant (the Deacon 76 is the long radius version of the 74). I'm 5'10 and sub 70kg and am on the 176's. Definitely recommend.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy