Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Yogistan

Poster: A snowHead
The background to this TR starts with the fabled Rum Doodle couloir in Courchevel - see here...

I had always wondered about another white line that is visible on the same aerial photograph but had never got around to going for a look. My friends Yann and J-C who also have a very inquisitive nature (and more free skiing time in the winter) beat me to it a week or so ago - naming the new line Yogistan (read the Ascent of Rum Doodle to understand).

As it happens I have a few days off this week and need to get fit for a trip to Kyrgyzstan so a trip to Yogistan seemed like a perfect warm-up...

Great conditions in Rum Doodle:

The entry to Yogistan:

Looking back into Yogistan:

http://youtube.com/v/cYlqjAZlSms&feature=youtu.be
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
:applause:
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chapeau Si
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're doing it again then give me a shout. Looks right up my street.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Frosty the Snowman, I'll join you. Mwa-ha-ha! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would have been there but recently I've been suffering from mountain lassitude, so I'll have to sit it out thanks.

The mountain lassitude might be reduced by the medicinal consumption of champagne - could you send down a couple of bottles?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Orange200 wrote:
I would have been there but recently I've been suffering from mountain lassitude, so I'll have to sit it out thanks.

The mountain lassitude might be reduced by the medicinal consumption of champagne - could you send down a couple of bottles?

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow! So do you start in Rum Doodle, and turn in Yogistan after the second abseil?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
Wow! So do you start in Rum Doodle, and turn in Yogistan after the second abseil?

A 10m boot up out of Rum Doodle in the exit couloir. Its actually a really good logical extension as it gives another couple of hundred metres vertical of interesting skiing (not that the bottom of Rum Doodle isn't nice...)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Would have been better with a couple of Jack Russels tagging along or on a mono ski. wink

Seriously - surprised your ice axe didn't have a leash on it. If you fell while holding the ice axe and pole in the same hand are you not likely to lose at least one of them?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@offpisteskiing, love the skiing. The music not so much!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
Would have been better with a couple of Jack Russels tagging along or on a mono ski. wink

Well I have been hankering after one of these for a few years now:

as for jack russells I prefer to see them(him) behind the stumps. Not a dog person but i would have a proper dog personally... (with half-hearted apologies to any jack russell fanciers out there...).

DB wrote:
Seriously - surprised your ice axe didn't have a leash on it. If you fell while holding the ice axe and pole in the same hand are you not likely to lose at least one of them?

Falling isn't an option for the most part of that descent, and being able to swap axe easily from hand to hand is a major bonus while negotiating the tricky sections.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
@offpisteskiing, love the skiing. The music not so much!

Each to their own Happy Though be thankful that my first choice didn't make it to the final cut... Far more left-field (if equally as old!):

http://youtube.com/v/WnFqfI4jec8
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing wrote:

as for jack russells I prefer to see them(him) behind the stumps. Not a dog person but i would have a proper dog personally... (with half-hearted apologies to any jack russell fanciers out there...).

Jeez, i hope no terriers read this coz if they do......, you're a dead man
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
offpisteskiing wrote:

Jeez, i hope no terriers read this coz if they do......, you're a dead man

Very Happy
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, this is the best jack russell...:

https://images.app.goo.gl/de35kbnGsQz11Qcs8
ski holidays
Gosh - just ski-ing along the arrete at the top gives me the wobblies..!
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
DB wrote:

Falling isn't an option for the most part of that descent, and being able to swap axe easily from hand to hand is a major bonus while negotiating the tricky sections.

I can see it's a no fall zone but I assumed you were holding the ice axe so in the unexpected event that you hit something (hidden rock, ice etc) you could self arrest on the icy section. If I dared ski that I'd most likely fall over and drop both the pole and the ice axe esp. if I was holding them both in one hand. Embarassed

http://youtube.com/v/94QFImjdEAo
snow conditions
Frankly I'm disappointed by the abseil. I assumed from the photos that you were going to send it off that little buttress half way up.

(nice work! Very Happy )
snow report
BTW - which peak are the couloirs on, can't quite locate myself?
ski holidays
Pic Sans Nom (2625m)

Wink
snow conditions
@offpisteskiing, I've been meaning to read "The assent of Rum Doodle" for ages and this has prompted me to actually purchase a copy, thanks.
ski holidays
@altis, someone's been busy on iphigenie! Happy

@adithorp, excellent - it is well worth a read!
snow report
Good flick.

Tasty chute, decent riding, and mild panic at 1:30mins.

A+
snow conditions
@offpisteskiing, actually, it was http://www.skitrack.fr/

I recognised the area in one of your Rum Doodle photos but the start of your Yogistan vid nailed it.
snow report
agghh - still trying to work out where it is on the map!
ski holidays
I tend to use bottom attatched extendable leashes on my axes. Great for ice climbing and good to avoid dropping one on easier ground. However, if you actually had a tumble on that terrain then re-grabbing your axe would be the least of your worries
snow conditions
@adithorp, It's a great read.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster wrote:
agghh - still trying to work out where it is on the map!

don’t worry, you are in good company - it took my mate Will multiple attempts to find Rum Doodle at the time of the first descent...! Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy