Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lightweight avalanche kit for pixies

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I’m interested in trying some off-piste skiing and I would like to ask for some recommendations regarding lightweight but good (functional, not plastic) avalanche kit please.

Particularly looking at shovels and probes. (I think I’ve an idea of which transceiver I’m interested in, but recommendations are welcome).

I’m quite short and small sized and I would like to minimise my weight (especially when I already carry a lot of stuff in my backpack... rolling eyes)

Mammut Alugator Light? Or Ortovox Pro Light? Or others?

As for probe... no carbon I’m guessing? Which one is easiest to deploy (idiot-proof Madeye-Smiley) but remains light?

I look forward to reading about your experience with your avalanche kit, and your recommendations. Very Happy

Thanks very much everyone. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@aewynia, An interesting idea. Can't say I took much notice of the weights when I bought mine – I don't really feel the weight of the avi kit in my bag, it isn't enough to really make a difference. Better to make sure it all fits in your bag and that your bag is comfortable to carry when you ski. Once you start to routinely pack the avi kit, you'll probably be more discerning about what else goes in and save some weight there. However, I do notice the extra 2.6kg of my avi bag when I use that, which causes me to leave it behind on lower risk days or when touring – I'd like to replace this with a lighter one.

As you wear your transceiver rather than carry it on your back, I'd ignore the weight and pick something that you can understand and has the functions you want and is easy to use. They're all similar size anyway.

Ortovox, Black Diamond, Mammut etc. all make good kit which should work well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@aewynia, is there really much difference in weights?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got my set from Snowshepard snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@aewynia, is there really much difference in weights?

I got some cheapo steel-bladed shovels for the kids to carry because I'm a tight wad. They are quite heavy Embarassed
in better news they won't break!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, between brands of the lightweight versions it can vary from 20 to 200 grams, which doesn’t seem like much I suppose....

Maybe I should look more at ease of use and functionality? Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @Scarlet, I’ll bear that in mind re avi bag (sounds heavy!) and wearing the transceiver. Will cross the bridge when I get there...

Btw, hope you’re healing up nicely! Not long now before the return to snow?? Cool

I had a fall at BB and a pretty sporting black eye recently...amongst other bruises and aches! Skullie Thankfully that’s getting better too snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aewynia wrote:
Maybe I should look more at ease of use and functionality? Puzzled

Absolutely. This is one area where you don't want excess faffing.

On the shovels, it's worth checking the compacted length, as some are quite long and won't easily fit in a short backpack.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@aewynia, Thanks, pretty much healed now and allowed to return to snow (gonna wait a couple of days till conditions hopefully improve). Yes, I saw your black eye. Did you get it scanned? I know doctors make bad patients...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
one point that got flagged up this season was don't skimp on weight for your probe by going shorter!

Minimum 240cm, pref closer to 300cm
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, I didn’t get it checked out, because I felt I hadn’t fractured anything. There was an A&E Advanced Nurse Practitioner at BB who helped check my face, and together we decided it was probably just soft tissue injury - close call though! Madeye-Smiley

To be fair she did say that if I rocked up at A&E looking like I did, I would probably have been scanned - as did a trainee Radiographer on the Bash Embarassed #badpatient
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @SBP, got the memo: nothing shorter than 240cm!

And I really need to check the lengths as @Scarlet said, some are more difficult to fit a shorter backpack...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
aewynia wrote:
.....And I really need to check the lengths as @Scarlet said, some are more difficult to fit a shorter backpack...

^ this. But also the shovel blade/handle sizes as well. At your stats don't buy a shovel/probe until you've got your pack so you can check everything will fit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bear in mind you're carrying the shovel and probe for your buddies, not for you, you decide the balance between extra weight in your pack vs how much you like them!!!
snow conditions
@KenX, by that logic, you could ski with people you don't like much and have a very light bag! Though they might think similar of you... Laughing
latest report
@Scarlet, Very Happy
snow report
It's good karma to carry the best avi kit wink
snow conditions
@KenX, forget who it was but someone told me a story of a buddy having a plastic shovel and saying "we'll swap".

Surely, unless you've got ABS or the like, then the shovel is the only thing making a real difference to weight? Can't say I've picked up my probe and thought it was especially heavy and like @Scarlet says, the transceiver is basically attached you don't notice it. I've also started reconsidering what I actually need to carry in a bag

I've got an Ortovox S1+ transceiver, not used it for anything other than training (hope that remains the case) but it's wonderfully straightforward...but I think that's the case with anything from the likes of Ortovox or Mammut etc.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@KenX, forget who it was but someone told me a story of a buddy having a plastic shovel and saying "we'll swap".

Laughing
snow conditions
The counter argument is the only way you can get a really light pack overall is by saving every gram you can on every bit of kit. It may only be 50g or 100g here or there, but it all adds up.

Then if you do have a really light pack you’re more likely to have it with you more of the time. Obviously it shouldn’t work that way, and you should have it with you every single time you might possibly need it, but in reality you might find it’s less binary than that.
snow report
Arva plume is light and functional with the weight saving coming from the carbon fibre handle. The compromise is a smaller blade and a fixed length shaft with a T rather than a D handle. I would not go any lighter than this - you will see lighter shovels but they are intended more for complying with the entry requirements of ski mountaineering racing (i.e. you must carry XYZ) rather than for companion rescue.

The weight difference regarding probes is pretty minimal. As others say, 3m is a good length. Obviously if someone is buried 3m down then they are dead unless you have a JCB in your backpack but a longer probe is a lot easier and faster to use as you can use it without bending over.
snow report
Quote:

The counter argument is the only way you can get a really light pack overall is by saving every gram you can on every bit of kit. It may only be 50g or 100g here or there, but it all adds up.

This is true. I stripped weight out of my bag by replacing my harness, crampons, axe, shovel and rope over the summer. Rope/harness etc all too old to be used safely. Massive difference. 200g weight saving on a new shovel = barely noticeable.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone - it looks like collapsed length of the shovel and probe to fit my backpack are going to be my determining factors...

but I just saw a pink shovel by Mammut that fits the bill.... Little Angel Laughing
latest report
@Steve77, I can save kilos by eating fewer pies and drinking less beer at the end of the day Laughing

Realistically how much can you save on shovel, probe & transceiver? 500g? You can save more than that with careful pack selection.
snow conditions
Yes, you can save more when you select your pack, or your axe, or your breakfast. But you can do all that AND get light other stuff, and that’s how you get a light pack overall.
snow conditions
@SnoodlesMcFlude, remember I weigh about half of what you do (or less? NehNeh) so the weight savings might mean something more to me... Toofy Grin
snow report
well here's a table of weight versus function re axes....bottom of review.....I have a Corsa, useful second axe. Use the Petzl as the main one though...

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/ice-axe/camp-corsa-nanotech
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@aewynia, saving weight on pack weight Puzzled

Does not compute... Who are you and what have you done with @aewynia, ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@aewynia, Other half's about 5' 2" in old money and has probably one the most compact ABS backpacks on the market. It's a Scott Allpride one. The shorter physical size of the stowage space meant that we had to get a more compact alloy shovel and an 8 section (as opposed to the more common 6) probe. (can't tell you specific makes/models as our kit is currently stored in resort). Comparing this pack to my ABS one (with a 12 ltr zip on pack and nothing else in them) hers feels significantly lighter.
snow report
Thank you @GeorgeVII, if you get details would you mind posting it here sometime? Thanks for the recommendation, I’m about her height too! Very Happy
snow conditions
aewynia wrote:
........I’m about her height too! Very Happy

Yeh right.
snow report
@aewynia, about her height when you've got ski boots on!
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
, I've got an Ortovox S1+ transceiver, not used it for anything other than training (hope that remains the case) but it's wonderfully straightforward

I really like the S1+. I handed it to 3 family members who had not used transceivers before and they each quickly got to a few centimetres of a hidden transceiver. In a stressful situation, it's exactly that simplicity and ease of use that counts.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for your advice! Very Happy

After watching this video I’m convinced about avalanche safety kit, even if it’s just off the side of the piste... Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/xYb0IxK9dXE
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy