Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona Virus + upcoming holiday

Poster: A snowHead
What I want to know is when are MXP easter car hire prices going to drop as a result of this?

On a slightly more serious note (but still a first world problem), trip booked for 4-11 April in Cervinia. Annual travel insurance expires and will be renewed on 29 March - looks like I might be without insurance if travel is stopped rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Health Sec to make a Commons statement at 12:30.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*rushes to renew travel insurance*
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
albob wrote:
@orjan, Welcome to SnowHeads

------

One positive to this virus outbreak is the influx of new members to the SnowHeads Forum … Smile

That's true......I found you after googling 'Italian ski resorts coronavirus' and you were the first result! Not aware of SnowHeads before, but I hope to stick around (Coronavirus permitting of course) Smile .

Am off to Courmayeur on Monday for a few days - flying in and out of Geneva. Hope it's all going to be okay (have added 'industrial amount of hand sanitising gel' to my packing list).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Too long to renewal, so had to take out a new policy from today.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@albob, true, but I hope they are skiers or borders and not just looking for virus stuff!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We came back from Pila over the weekend, none of us are showing any symptoms (I have a tickly cough, but I've had it since I had a cold a couple of weeks before we went. It isn't getting worse). There have been suspected cases in Aosta Valley, but all have tested negative for Covid-19. The 10 year old has since been on a school trip since Monday (comes back today), the 6 year old hasn't gone to school today on their request, and our childminder has asked that the 2 year old stays home too. SWMBO's work has also asked her to stay home today. (I work from home anyway).

However, Public Health England have told us to go about our lives as normal.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, I'm being told by my work all is fine to travel to MXP/Aosta area but not 100% sure what to do! I guess it'll depend on what my brothers work says!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are flying to Turin on 7 March and heading up to Monterosa area ...in touch with our hotel but not thinking of cancelling unless things dramatically change ...fingers crossed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
peanuthead wrote:
erica2004 wrote:
It would be foolish to travel to the Tirol now. It is silly weighing up the risk when there is an unavoidable risk.

Recent development in Tirol quite concerning. Situation will evolve over coming days.

FWIW the lockdown on the hotel was lifted just a few hours after being initiated...

https://www.thelocal.at/20200226/austria-lifts-lockdown-of-hotel-over-coronavirus
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
twoodwar wrote:
Worth pointing out that 12,000 to 28,000 people die every year in England as a direct result of flu. I have my jab each year but I cannot persuade my wife. We should take advice and sensible precautions, but a sense of perspective is required. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf

Are you sure that's what it says ? The number I found for deaths a few days ago was around 300, and the PDF seems to confirm that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AndAnotherThing.., Page 51, table 7.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Orange200 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
I'm afraid nobody has a crystal ball on this.

What??!! I booked through Crystal specifically!

Speaking of tour operators, anyone else booked with Esprit to Champoluc via Turin airport? They had no rebooking/refund policy in place as of yesterday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why would they?
There's no FCO advice against the area.
The Aosta Valley tested all suspected cases of CV-19 and they came up clean.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hamish, cheers, my reading of it. Essentially if you are old, it can trigger death, or if you have an underlying disease, e.g Asthma. Its quite frequent that you die of more than one thing as you get older. I'm 62 and have has Asthma since I was 10. I'm in the crosshairs of this thing, however I will unless we get FCO advice otherwise be off to Zermatt. Possibly less chance of getting flu there.
snow conditions
Corporal Jones springs to mind.
ski holidays
Planned to travel to Zermatt next week through Malpensa, switched to Zurich instead. Less risky?
snow report
I rather doubt any TO would feel obliged to offer a simple refund if you decide not to travel, unless there is official FCO advice not to travel. And in the event that such official advice has been given, then the TO could argue that you should claim on your own travel insurance.

Bit of a catch-22, but I am informed that commercial tour operators are generally unable to insure themselves against business disruption caused by act of God/communicable disease, war etc.
snow report
I shouldn’t worry about insurance they will always let you buy it, the issue is will they pay out. They always refer to govt advice.
ski holidays
Reports from Local.fr that the Ibis hotel in Beaune is in lockdown following the death of a Chinese tourist. Not yet confirmed to be Covid-19 though.
latest report
It's a bit surprising to see a few on here (and many, many more on the FCO facebook page!) seeming to think that their panic about a travel situation should allow them to force a TO to refund them for their trip. Do you realise what a dangerous precedent that would set for the travel industry? It would be utter madness. Yes, there's risk, but I'd argue that by now there's as much risk travelling on London Underground or walking around major european cities. Just because those locations aren't reporting infections doesn't mean they're not there. It was fashion week in Milan a week or so back, FFS... where do you think those people all went?

The irony of worrying about catching coronavirus when comparing that risk to the ones you put yourself at firstly travelling to, and then moving around the slopes of, Italian ski resorts is mind-boggling. "I might infect someone else..." Yes, you might. But take some simple precautions and you probably won't. Stop bleating about a situation over which you have no control and either go or don't go, but don't expect the TO to give you any money back if there is no official advisory in place from people better placed to know than you.
ski holidays
@carled, agreed
snow report
Another 52 confirmed cases reported today in Italy. Again, majority of the increases are in Lombardy, Veneto and Emiglia Romagna regions.

Also a potential case in Bad Kleinkirchen where an Italian woman has died. Not confirmed yet but not ruled out either.
snow conditions
Hamish wrote:
@AndAnotherThing.., Page 51, table 7.

That seems at odds with the rest of the report where the 300ish number keeps cropping up (ie p24). I think there is a labeling \interpretation issue as on page 49 there is an "all-age all-cause deaths" chart which seems to show much the same values.
snow conditions
Contacted Crystal this morning about ski trip 21st-28th March to Val di Fassa. They told me that should FCO advise/ban travelling to Italy then they would look at re-accommodating me elsewhere, in the event they couldn't, i would be fully refunded.
ski holidays
So my question is, why is Italy showing so many cases - and only in a relatively confined set of regions ??
snow report
under a new name wrote:
So my question is, why is Italy showing so many cases - and only in a relatively confined set of regions ??

IMHO because they are actively checking / testing
ski holidays
I could catch coronavirus from a patient or colleague at work, a student in a pub or a worker in a supermarket. Where I catch it, if I eventually do makes absolutely no difference to the outcome. Self-isolating in France with a beautiful view of the mountains is rather appealing. wink.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmybog wrote:
Another 52 confirmed cases reported today in Italy. Again, majority of the increases are in Lombardy, Veneto and Emiglia Romagna regions.

Also a potential case in Bad Kleinkirchen where an Italian woman has died. Not confirmed yet but not ruled out either.

The bad Kleinkirchen death has been confirmed as NOT from Norovirus
snow report
@AndAnotherThing.., 300 deaths would seem incredibly low for flu to have caused in a year. Bear in mind that its flu that, please excuse the term, 'finishes the job off' from those who are not in perfect health as it is. Its also why we have the massive report I posted the link to, and an incredible annual immunization programme. The only point is that Flu is very dangerous, but is not new and we take it in our stride, more or less. My wife won't even have the Flu jab, and as can be seen from the report neither do millions of others. Media coverage now, would see a scramble for Coronarvirus jabs I suspect , - if available
ski holidays
Anyone in the Aosta valley area got any reports on how the supermarkets are coping? Know it's relatively small issue but if restaurants are closing we don't want to be stuck without food should we decide to go!
snow report
An interesting map has been added to the travel advice page for Italy - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy

Makes it much clearer just how small the area to avoid is!

The villages show are all that's referred to now as well - no mention of 'Northern Italy' at all!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 26-02-20 15:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

My wife won't even have the Flu jab, and as can be seen from the report neither do millions of others.

Which is a great shame, and probably responsible for the "finishing off" of some people who would not have caught flu if the herd immunity were better.
snow conditions
For many of us, being caught up in a lock-down while on holiday would be deeply inconvenient. But spare a thought for the small ski holiday company or hotel in an affected region; for them, it could signal financial ruin and the end of their livelihood.
ski holidays
@oliverracing, the Aosta Valley has had no confirmed cases.

You might as well be asking how are the supermarkets holding up in Tower Hamlets?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Although I cant give the full correct answer as I dont have all the facts, but two potential reasons are 1. Mismanagement by the hospital in Codogno treating the first case which resulted in a rapid spread of the virus. 2. Authorities still unable to find "patient 0" the person who brought the virus into the country. The question is why are there two separate red zone areas (one in Lombardy and one in Veneto). I believe the answer to this is that a resident from the Veneto town of Vo was frequenting bars in the Lombardy area, caught the virus and then it spread back home in Vo. Whether this is true or not I cant confirm but is what I read a few days ago.
snow report
@mitcva, it's a fair point but there are no ski resorts in, or even near, an affected region (see @CiderBoy's map) unless you want to just call 'Italy' an affected region but if you're going to do that you might as well call 'Europe' an affected region (I suspect the US is already heading that way) so we're all doomed DOOMED! Skullie
snow report
Flu vacines just make you more susceptable to viruses

Taking flu vacines prevents your body from naturally fighting previous years flu rounds...

Folks should let there bodys naturally fight off flu thus building up a very strong immunity to future flu rouuds...

In effect flu Vacines will make your body weaker and weaker with no immunity

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 26-02-20 15:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
oliverracing wrote:
Anyone in the Aosta valley area got any reports on how the supermarkets are coping? Know it's relatively small issue but if restaurants are closing we don't want to be stuck without food should we decide to go!

Good grief. I despair. Yes, zombies roam the streets and all there is to eat are rats and grass. Good luck out there.
snow conditions
Flip @stanton, I never realised you were one of those anti-vaxxer's!

Remind me to never take anything you say seriously!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy