Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona Virus + upcoming holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Irish authorities are telling IRFU to postpone Ireland Italy rugby match, was due to be played in a week and a half from now. Seems sensible, probably only the start of restrictions to come.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@peanuthead, the data are not available to confidently make those assertions (although they may well be true). Has anyone on here stated that it cannot be contained?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
@peanuthead, the data are not available to confidently make those assertions (although they may well be true). Has anyone on here stated that it cannot be contained?
To be fair, I'm sort of suggesting that it's going to be very difficult. It's just an opinion though and a layman's one at that. I'm much better at amateur meteorology snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bodeswell, Interesting name for such a pessimistic outlook. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag, It's a long story Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bodeswell, gotcha, it feels that way to me as well. but I am no epidemiologist. and I refer back to my data lack as above.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of the senior guys in my firm (Big 4 accounting) had lunch at weekend with a v senior medical expert who told him that the UK authorities are planning for a worst case infection rate of 60%, 100k UK deaths, and virus not peaking outside China til May. Obviously very worst case scenario, but worrying nonetheless.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bodeswell wrote:
@Old Fartbag, It's a long story Laughing

Aren't they all!

A touch of irony, maybe?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, there is more than enough data to convince most or all public health authorities in most countries that it is significantly more severe and infectious than most strains of influenza!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you consider the numbers roughly given earlier in the thread it shows the change in speed of transmission starkly.

1 to 1 infection rate would give, if you take each example transmitted for each day over a 7 day period, weekly total of 128

1 to 2 infection rate over the same example reaches 1458. It's just much harder to reverse this process in reality meaning you've got to act much more stringently to hang on to it.

Coupled with the 14 day incubation period makes it hard for those making the decisions to act fast enough without undue alarm.

Edit; changed the 1 to 2 total to 1458 as corrected maths.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Rois1980, whoaa... I say whoaa there on the panic horse...

Obviously not privy to the actual details of what your friends were discussing, but those magnitude of figures have long been part of the published upper end of government scenarios for serious pandemics. It’s the figures they have to prepare for in a worst case situation which is how you would expect them to prepare.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nozawaonsen, Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I didn’t know that to be fair, but given the seniority of the person giving the info, and how senior they described the medical professional to be, i’m minded to believe that the worst case is indeed being planned for. And as you say - how you would expect them to react.
Worst case planning is probably more often the case than we will ever know.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
first time on snowheads. I'm going go Tonale last week in march & would apreciate all updates ön conditions in resor. Good site, appreciate
[list=]
[/list]
L
jbob wrote:
Just seen this on Facebook.

“Just had this message from someone in Italy now:

I am in Tonale at present and the media have blown thing up a little. At present the bars close at 18:30 and internal sports have been stopped. Skiing is still permitted and they are reviewing 1st March.

Also just heard on news that 2 Uk schools have closed following school ski trips to Italy last week

Not looking good is it....”
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

i’m minded to believe that the worst case is indeed being planned for.

Well one hopes so - that's reassuring!
ski holidays
Way too much rumour flying around, perhaps unsurprisingly. A quote from a senior WHO person in Rome today

Only 3% of Italian coronavirus patients have died, and all of them had pre-existing conditions, Walter Ricciardi of the World Health Organisation told a Rome press conference Tuesday. “We must scale back this great alarm,” said Ricciardi, a former director at Italy’s Higher Health Institute (ISS).

Of 100 sick people, 80 get well of their own accord, 15 have serious but manageable problems, 5% are extremely serious, of which 3% die. Furthermore, as you know, all the people who died already had serious health conditions.

No doubt it is sensible to try to slow down the spread of the virus to minimise the risk of it mutating and also to allow time to develop vaccines but there really is no need for panic. Hundreds of thousands of people die every year from complications caused by influenza viruses (hence why vulnerable folk are encouraged to get vaccinated) and that is easily transmitted from person to person but we manage to cope with that without mass hysteria. It is quite possible that like the common cold (about 60% of cases are caused by types of corona viruses) the Covid 19 virus will become far less problematic as the weather get warmer, for some reason not completely understood colds and flu are more prevalent in winter.
latest report
Worth bearing mind that more people are catching and dieing from common flu than corona virus worldwide. The vast majority of people who catch corona virus are just a bit ill and then recover.
snow report
peanuthead wrote:
so I don't think the cold most people had few weeks ago was possibly coronavirus

The common cold *is* a Coronavirus.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Masks are not that effective.

Clean Hands

Avoid touching handrails on trains,buses planes, wipe steering wheel gear, handles on rental cars etc

Dont touch your face oe eyes without cleaning hands.

Wear Gloves when travelling..

Re face masks not good

Because your eyes are not covered the spor will attach to the fluid on your eye ball

Also do not use Air Hand Dryers...they blow pathog ens all over the place
snow report
@slopemad, got me! Covid-19!

Re likelihood of dissipating in good weather- hasn't really worked out for them in Singapore or Hong Kong
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
If you are really lucky, you book yourself into a 5*+ hotel for one night get quarantined for 14 nights and this get two weeks free. Always an angle.

I dont thi k it works like that....Happy

Afaik you still will get a invoice from tbe Hotel and it will be down tou you and your insurance company...

I know in Austria if you refuse to pay a bill they call the Police and they confiscate your passport..
snow conditions
@stanton, I suspect the Austrians might been keener on getting you out of Austria rather than keeping you in the country..............
ski holidays
We have rebooked to fly to Zurich tomorrow instead of Venice (same times from Luton) and booked a hotel in Lech instead. The hotel in the Dolomites have let us cancel the booking and it cost us £150 each to change the flights on Easyjet so not horrific. We all have our own businesses and ageing parents with health issues so just couldn’t risk Italy and quarantine. Hopefully it won’t spead to Lech/Zurich in the next five days and we can make it there and back.
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, I had the dry cough for about 3 weeks but comfortably passed the inbound temp scan at TRN 2 weeks ago. Lots of people seem to have had a dry annoying cough this winter, just this year's common cold variant I think.
ski holidays
@Ajn12345, it sounds like a smart and relaxing choice. I LOVE that area.
If the Tirol situation stays more or less the same, I'm so flying in 2 days to my ski safari.
In the worst case scenario, I'll confine myself to the local mountain upon return and ski with a N95 mask instead of a buff
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
Hundreds of thousands of people die every year from complications caused by influenza viruses...
I guess the "comforting" thing with proper/normal flu is that it is reasonably well understood in terms of impact, even if the impact is actually numerically quite serious e.g thousands of old folk die from it each year in the UK. Anything new has the potential to wipe us all out, hence the greater concern.
snow conditions
I have had an annoying cough since December ...

I’d also note that the human reference temperature is actually wrong...
snow report
Rois1980 wrote:
One of the senior guys in my firm (Big 4 accounting) had lunch at weekend with a v senior medical expert who told him that the UK authorities are planning for a worst case infection rate of 60%, 100k UK deaths, and virus not peaking outside China til May. Obviously very worst case scenario, but worrying nonetheless.

So only one order of magnitude worse than ‘flu? As a “worst” case, that’s pretty reassuring.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peanuthead wrote:
@under a new name, there is more than enough data to convince most or all public health authorities in most countries that it is significantly more severe and infectious than most strains of influenza!

No, there isn’t. And so far, doesn’t seem to be so significantly worse. Read the Atlantic article. And stop panicking. Panic breeds panic.
snow report
The issue with COVID 19 is that there is no prior immunity due to immunisation or previous exposure in the high risk groups ( including the elderly). These patients are currently protected by the yearly flu jab. The elderly were not affected by H1N1 swine flu because they had been exposed to this virus decades previously, swine flu was a problem in children.
snow report
La Grave considering quarantine

I propose that La Grave should close the village before this storm starts and the snow arrives. We need a full quarantine of the village. No visitors, no one should be allowed in until we know whats up with this virus thats going around. I think it is in our best interest and for the safety of our village that we quarantine ourselves from the rest of the world until the lift closes or we know more about the virus.

This is about our health and safety.
latest report
@Weathercam, Wink
snow report
@Weathercam, you noble martyrs, you, civilisation will thank you.

“ Sharon Begley lays out two scenarios based on interviews with epidemiologists if the virus isn’t contained: In one, covid-19 becomes one of the mundane coronaviruses that’s always floating around in the world (there are currently four, they cause about a fourth of all colds). In another, it’s less mundane and more like the flu, which causes a lot of havoc every year”

From, https://slate.com/technology/2020/02/should-you-panic-about-coronavirus-now.html (answer, “No” )
snow conditions
Also interesting,

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/coronavirus-spread-in-us-not-if-but-when-and-how-severe-cdc-says/#p3

“ Aylward, a nearly 30-year veteran of outbreak and emergency responses with the WHO ... pointed to humped graphs of cases over time—they are the shape of an epidemic that has been hobbled, he said.“
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@bambionskiis, I had the dry cough for about 3 weeks but comfortably passed the inbound temp scan at TRN 2 weeks ago. Lots of people seem to have had a dry annoying cough this winter, just this year's common cold variant I think.

Thanks Dave, that's reassuring. I'm not bothered about myself but just don't want to pass onto anyone. My symptoms aren't worsening so I'm sure I'm ok Smile
snow conditions
Worth pointing out that 12,000 to 28,000 people die every year in England as a direct result of flu. I have my jab each year but I cannot persuade my wife. We should take advice and sensible precautions, but a sense of perspective is required. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 26-02-20 10:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Rois1980 wrote:

Infection rate of 60% combined with the apparent mortality rate of 2% is 800k deaths not 100k. They are probably allowing for the reported number of cases in China greatly underestimating the real number of infections and that UK healthcare would save some that would have died in similar conditions in China
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
I'm afraid nobody has a crystal ball on this.

What??!! I booked through Crystal specifically!
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
I'm afraid nobody has a crystal ball on this.

What??!! I booked through Crystal specifically!

That's so bad, it's almost good! Toofy Grin
latest report
@orjan, Welcome to SnowHeads

------

One positive to this virus outbreak is the influx of new members to the SnowHeads Forum … Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy