Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black crows and shift

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

In need of some help - bought some black crow orb freebirds in a 178 and some shift bindings. Just took them into a Ellis Brigham to get them drilled and they’re saying they can’t because the binding doesn’t fit on the mounting plate. Does that make sense? When I bought the skis I didn’t have the time to get them mounted so bought the bindings at home - but Mountain Air in Verbier didn’t tell me there would be any issues in putting shifts on these skis (and they sell lots of them).

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Shift mounting pattern is outside of the reinforced mounting area of the ski. I've mounted a few of them with Shifts without issue but they're mounted with Quiver Killer inserts which give a stronger mount. I'll mount them for you but it'd be at your risk (which you'd sign-off on) and it'd void the warranty on the skis.

However, the obvious question is why are you mounting an 880g binding with only one climbing height on a lightweight touring ski? Putting a Shift on that ski is really a miss match. That ski is screaming out for proper lightweight binding.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the quick response - I often ski with friends so wanted one ski and binding combo I could use with them and then also go off and tour with. Thought this was a good compromise but clearly not! I’m pretty heavy too so liked the idea of the alpine style toe piece (100kg).

What would you suggest? Friend uses atx?

Sounds like I will be the proud owner of another pair of skis and another binding soon...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@crooky13, welcome to sHs snowHead

How fit are you? The shift is a tidy tourer for an hour or two and even the ‘normal’ black crows aren’t super heavy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, Sharkymark!

Am pretty fit. Work out 5/6 days a week (cardio and hiit mainly) but I am pretty heavy so I’m not exactly fast going uphill. Guess I could flog the Black Crows and then start again? Or I buy some more skis and mount the shifts on them...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am in a very similar position. Through alcohol and the ease of 1 click payment I bought a pair of scott superguides 88. I have also a pair of shift (birthday present) qkillered on my other skis. Do I stick heavy bindings on to a light weight tourer or ditch the speed guides and get something better on the down which is my priority such as the altum 94 (my other skis I usually take on holiday are WD directors & R108 with skins) so could easily slip these in as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@crooky13, in which case I wouldn’t worry too much about the weight. Something fairly stiff and 100-110 underfoot or so IMHO would go well with the binding
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WASHOUT, I own the Superguide 105 and they’re way too light for shifts so the 88s will be killed dead by them for sure! Buy some lightweight pins for the 88s or flog ‘em and see above post Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok sounds like I’ve gone from a one ski quiver to a two ski quiver just like that! Shifts will get a new home on some wider skis and the black crows get some lighter bindings!

Marker kingpins? Or still too heavy? My din is 10+ so some touring bindings seem to be a little lightweight for me
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Salomon MTN are excellent and bomber for big guys.

A 178cm ski sounds short for a 100g pilot. How tall are you?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sharkymark tbh I kinda knew the answer to my question but was hoping somebody would have backed up the other option of QK the shifts on to the superguides '88's if you get a taste for greater distance uphill then QK a more touring based binding on to it and I can be a cheap bug and avoid another purchase.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From CH2O on the old thread

"95mm+ Shift
95mm- Tech

Our rules, the enforced mounting plate in all skis varies albeit covers the same length. If a particular skis says no, then it's no I'm afraid, Freebird skis are not the most consistent cores, however great skis. I'd not risk it personally. Plus the ski is very light and small, a shift seems a bit OTT."

Old thread now closed for you
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX thanks!

@Spyderjon I’m 185-190 not sure of exact height so appreciate I should have sized up. That said, I skied both lengths and preferred the 178 and dint feel like I was overpowering the ski.

Put the shifts on the Corvus freebirds? Or some Dps? Thanks for the suggestion on the Solomon MTN
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy