Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strike in french ski resorts!!

Poster: A snowHead
Planned strike on 15th February

Over changes to unemployment benefit rules. Crucial for most lifties, etc as they are not full time employees. It's a Saturday but at the start of the 2nd week of the french holidays. Savoie is the targeted area. A month yet so could change I'm sure, Macron is already backtracking on some reforms.

We had a local strike here about 4 years ago, during the week, during the holidays. Lifts were all closed until about 3 when they reached agreement.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Claude B, I thought you were in the Isere so it shouldn't affect you
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am and it shouldn't. Tbh 1 day makes little difference to me. Lots on here heading to Savoie then though, half term.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Claude B, It'll rain that day as well
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
that's my day 6...…..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought it was Haute Savoie which was most likely to be affected. Not sure why, because I don't see it in that article now.
Apparently they might blockade some resorts?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I remember a similar threatened strike a few years ago, during their lunch break several staff unfurled a banner by the lifts in Plagne Centre had their photo taken and that was it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@iainm, I hope not as we're off to the Haute Savoie at half term, arriving in resort on 15th Feb and I expect if there is a strike it might hamper driving into resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Little bump...

Just wondering if anyone might have any insights at all to share on what to expect with respect to the threatened strike? We're in a bit of a bind as the family is planning to arrive at Prodains/ Morzine on 15 February and we'd really love to be able to get to our lodging at the top of the lift at Prodains/ Avoriaz. All thoughts of skiing aside, at this point I'd just love to be sure that I can get the kids somewhere warm for the night... Has this sort of thing happened before and do they really shut down all lifts all day?

Thanks a lot for any tips!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If neccessary change your transfer from:
GVA - Avoriaz (Prodains)
to:
GVA - Avoriaz (Resort).

Probably be another few quid, but not loads more than the cost of the Gondola.

BTW lived here 15 years, and never known the Avoriaz lifties to be especially militant.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
itaril wrote:
Has this sort of thing happened before and do they really shut down all lifts all day?

yes but generally things shut for a couple of hours as a token protest - lift cos are not the SNCF with seemingly bottomless pockets of cash and I guess the lifties know this.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
also something to ponder about French resorts, the lifties are employed and many are married to ski instructors who are self employed and so no lifts no pay. So no surprise its a Saturday!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks very much folks - I am feeling much more positive that we are highly unlikely to find ourselves at Prodains/ Morzine at midnight stuck without a roof over our heads!

In the mid-poor case scenario, any suggestions/ advice on taxi companies who drive the last mile from Morzine to Avoriaz - numbers that it would be wise to keep handy? Merci!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First day of our holiday!! Does anyone think montgenevre will be affected? Please say no
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@itaril, A taxi at the last minute will be load$, and taxis on a changeover day are rare as rocking horse dung, as they're all chasing the big bucks doing airport transfers.
Just change your transfer now, and if it transpires all is good, then get the driver to drop you at Prodains ( they will sure appreciate not having to go up and back, unless they're doing a pick up there Smile )
ski holidays
Thanks for the sound advice @WindOfChange, we're on AlpyBus and not sure if they even drive up to the top - will check it out. In our past experience though, they have not been known for their flexibility in accommodating last minute changes.

@bambionskiis, my understanding is that Montgenevre should be OK (department = Haute-Alpes) as the announced affected departments are Isere, Haute-Savoie and Savoie, per e.g.,
https://www.breakingnews.fr/france/les-greves-appellent-les-stations-de-ski-francaises-pendant-les-vacances-de-fevrier-139619.html
snow conditions
itaril wrote:
Thanks for the sound advice @WindOfChange, we're on AlpyBus and not sure if they even drive up to the top - will check it out. In our past experience though, they have not been known for their flexibility in accommodating last minute changes.

@bambionskiis, my understanding is that Montgenevre should be OK (department = Haute-Alpes) as the announced affected departments are Isere, Haute-Savoie and Savoie, per e.g.,
https://www.breakingnews.fr/france/les-greves-appellent-les-stations-de-ski-francaises-pendant-les-vacances-de-fevrier-139619.html

Phew that’s lucky then. Sorry for anyone else caught up in it though
ski holidays
Does anyone have any update on this? I can't find anything online. We are traveling to the 3 valleys on the 15th.
ski holidays
https://www.thelocal.fr/20200207/strikes-called-for-french-ski-resorts-during-february-holidays
latest report
Thanks but that looks like the original press release recycled rather than an update.
ski holidays
"It looks like strikes will go ahead as planned next Sat 15 Feb in five French ski resorts in the Alps - La Plagne, Les Arcs, Les Ménuires, Courchevel and Megève "
https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1225763234864652292
snow conditions
Thanks that a useful update:

https://www.lci.fr/social/la-greve-des-saisonniers-va-t-elle-perturber-les-stations-de-ski-a-la-plagne-les-arcs-les-menuires-courchevel-megeve-2144782.html#Echobox=1581041023

It doesn't look too bad:

- One of the objectives, he explained, is to interrupt the operation of the ski lifts "for a few hours or even half a day"
- "We seek to educate tourists and not to disturb their holidays".
snow conditions
[quote="stodge"]Thanks that a useful update:

It doesn't look too bad:

- One of the objectives, he explained, is to interrupt the operation of the ski lifts "for a few hours or even half a day"
- "We seek to educate tourists and not to disturb their holidays“

This makes me cross. Why do I need educating?? All i do is help pay their wages. It’s blackmail pure and simple. I personally can do nothing to influence their situation, but their (even) a few hours impacts greatly my annual few days of hard-earned leisure.
snow conditions
Did ring Chatel Tourist office yesterday.
They did not confirm any strike.Was told its not confirmed.
Best thing for all ring on Friday.
ski holidays
Just been reading about Storm Dennis which we’ll be flying through to get there. A strike would be the icing on the cake Crying or Very sad
latest report
There was a similar strike in Les Arcs a few years ago. It took place on a Saturday, although not during half term IIRC. Lasted from 9am to 11am and I think all lifts were stopped. The resort handed out coffee and croissants, and at 11am the lifts started up promptly.
snow report
From LaTania.co.uk:

France One Day Strike - Saturday 15 Feb 2020 - INFO:

This week's strike involves season workers protesting against reforms to unemployment rights & pay. Many ski areas are being targeted and strike notices have been received locally to S3V who manage the Courchevel, La Tania & Mottaret ski areas (of course most people will be travelling rather than skiing on this day in any case).

S3V say they are making plans so this will have little impact on the opening of the ski area on Sat 15 Feb. There is however action planned with protests at the Rond Point de l'Europe in Moutiers from 08:00 to 10:30 which could cause traffic delays. In addition the FO and CGT Unions are also trying to mobilise season workers for demonstrations in the Courchevel Valley.

The S3V ticket offices will remain open until at least 18:00 on Saturday and open early at 08:00 on Sunday to help minimise any disruption.
snow conditions
Strike here on Saturday now, first mention of it Evil or Very Mad Hoping to operate a partial service. There's a PDF in this link, all in french I'm afraid.

https://www.facebook.com/1740277592969451/posts/2449379795392557/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are not striking here in ADH
ski holidays
An up to date and much enlarged list of resorts where strikes are taking place.

> In Savoie: Les Arcs, Tignes, La Plagne, Courchevel, Méribel Alpina, Val d'Isère, La Rosière, Val Fréjus, Val Cenis, Les Sybelles

>> In Isère: Val d'Isère (Les Deux Alpes, Alpe d'Huez, Chamrousse)

>> In Haute-Savoie: Chamonix, La Clusaz, Avoriaz, Les Gets

>> In the Hautes Alpes: La Meije, Serre Chevalier, Les Stations du Queyras, Risoul, Les Orres, Pra-Loup (04), Puy St Vincent, Orcières

>> In the Pyrenees: Grand Tourmalet, Ax Trois Domaines, Font Romeu, Piau Engaly

>> In the Vosges: Gerardmer

>> In the Jura: Monts Jura

The CGT has also filed strike notices in other stations:

>> In Savoie: Les Menuires, Val Thorens, Valmorel, Tignes, Valloire, Les Karellis, St Colomban des Villards, Valmeinier, Savoie Grand Revard

>> In Haute-Savoie: Flaine, Les Carroz, Megève, Grand Bornand, Val d'Arly

>> In the Massif Central: Le Lorian

>> In the Southern Alps: Montgenèvre, Serre Chevalier, Risoul, Vars, Val d'Allos

>> In the Pyrenees: Cambre d'Aze, Porté Puymorens, Les Angles, Formiguères, Font Romeu Pyrénées 2000, Grand Tourmalet, Cauterets, Luz Ardiden, Val Louron and Altiservice

https://www.lci.fr/social/info-lci-appel-a-la-greve-dans-les-stations-de-ski-samedi-une-cinquantaine-de-stations-concernees-greve-des-saisonniers-des-le-15-fevrier-2145288.html
latest report
@Alpinebear, according to the report you are Puzzled I've been told here it's more pisteurs than lefties.
latest report
Maybe it's just us in the Caisse who are not
ski holidays
It says they don't want to annoy holidaymakers - but to highlight their plight as seasonal workers.

So it would be 2-3h with no lifts, most likely in the morning (skiers would go irate otherwise, imagine being stranded in Orelle one afternoon and unable to ski back to Meribel).

They could also simply open the highway tolls (à la Gillets Jaunes). I wish they'd simply let people in free for a day.
snow report
Last time they did it here, 3 or 4 years ago, it was a local strike about pay and conditions. French holidays, during the week, all day until about 2.30 perhaps. I've never seen so many people hiking or skinning up Very Happy
ski holidays
We are definitely not on strike.
latest report
Not much point them striking in the Lioran, poor bugs must have only had snow 1 day so far this season.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
@Alpinebear, according to the report you are Puzzled I've been told here it's more pisteurs than lefties.

Funny, I thought it was lefties who normally strike wink wink

Dam spool chuckers!
latest report
Radio Val d'Isere has announced that the lifts in Val d'Isere will not open until 0930 tomorrow morning due to the strike action.
An extra cup of coffee in the morning then.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Very Happy mixed french/English spell checkers. I'm never out until 11 so 9.30 wouldn't be a hardship. Unlike most Saturday is the worst day for me, changeover day is so relatively peaceful.
snow conditions
Is this likely to be a one-off strike hitting the peak school holiday period? Or can we expect more strikes as the season progresses?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy