Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motorhome for a season

Poster: A snowHead
Well following on from one of my previous threads, go search, we seem to have come to the conclusion we are going to do our season next year in a motorhome.

We are concentrating on Austria because we both like the value of the Ski Tyrol pass, though Austria doesn't have the abundance of aire type areas but it is manageable.

The plan is to book into camp sites for 1 or 2 nights a week to facilitate water, waste and mains hookup if required. This will be also our days for laundry, maintenance, tidying and general catchup with life.

The motorhome bit I am reasonably ok with just wondering if anyone has any experience of Austria campsites in winter?

Also Ski rental, we'd like to find somewhere that we can season rent skis without too much hassle.

Any tips or useful info would be greatly appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Wylie66, there are lots of campsites that operate in winter in Austria. In my area the prices are around €30 per night for a motorhome with 4 people including tourist tax, I'd imagine Tirol to be similar.

Assuming you are British, from January you are restricted to a 90-day stay, but that would cover the bulk of the season. Most rental shops offer season rental for equipment if you do not want to buy your own.

Happy camping!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Although it is likely that it will apply, the 90 day restriction isn't set in stone, it will be part of the agreement we negotiate with the EU for the Schengen Zone.

There is also the alternative of obtaining a single country longer stay tourist visa, I understand that Austrian National Visa D can be valid for 6 months. You still have the 90 day restriction for the rest of the Schengen Zone and most likely will have to pay a fee but there are alternatives for some countries.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gilberts Fridge, the 90-day restriction is for non-EU citizens who do not need a tourist visa to visit the EU, so it will apply to British citizens, it is not part of any future trade negotiation.

The Austrian National Visa D that you refer to is for students, usually those on exchange programmes for up 6 months. It does not apply to tourists.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@queenie pretty please, https://www.austria.org/visa-application

As I read this it is not a Student Visa

Austrian National Visa (Visa D)
If you intend to stay in Austria for more than 90 days and up to 6 months AND you are not a citizen of an European Union or European Free Trade Association member state, you need to apply for a national Austrian visa (Visa D).

During the validity of the Visa D the holder is entitled to enter, transit and stay up to 90 days in other Schengen countries.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the quick replies, we have scheduled it that we arrive back in the UK on the 90th day so that's that bit sorted.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gilberts Fridge, students and working, not tourist

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/entry-requirements-visa-and-immigration/visa-d/

Purpose for the issuance of a Visa D:

Specific long-term stay (up to 6 months)
i.e. research (with hosting agreement acc. § 67 NAG), seasonal labor, intern, students (one semester), working holiday for nationals of New Zealand
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok I think we have sorted the Visa bit out Smile

Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally, I'd definitely buy skis. Maybe some nearly new or ex demo if you don't want to fork out brand new prices.

I've only ever done a few weeks in a motorhome in the alps in winter so can't really help regarding the specifics of Austrian campsites. Might be worth asking on www.motorhomefacts.com forum as there is a wealth of motorhome specific info on there.

This book might be of help...https://www.vicarious-shop.com/collections/guidebooks-by-country/products/acsi-campingcard-2020
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
there was a bunch of articles in Fall Line the other year on this, 'Snowchaser' might be worth a read. first article is:

https://www.fall-line.co.uk/snowchaser-a-dream-unleashed/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do think the D visa is valid for tourists as well though and I would be contacting my local embassy direct, but that's the last on this thread about it from me.

@Wylie66, Very Happy Sorry for the thread hijack, have a great trip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gilberts Fridge, the quote is from the Austrian Embassy in London
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are on our 5th or 6th two month long motorhome trip, on the whole we've avoided Austria as there isn't the freedom to park that you find elsewhere. Campsites can come in pretty expensive there and the need to book during holiday periods removes some flexibility.

We have all our own gear which adds to the flexibility that using the motorhome offers. I guess Austria has tbe benefit of not having to drive up precarious roads only to find theres nowhere suitable to stay. This at 2000m in Arolla, after some single track including an 800m tunnel, though we have since returned and chanced our luck in a different carpark.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 20-02-20 17:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There always motorbikes parked overnight in the car park at Flachau . Worth asking the tourist information
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Might be useful

https://www.campercontact.com/en/austria?countrycode=AT
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
Might be useful

https://www.campercontact.com/en/austria?countrycode=AT

That’s a great find thank you
snow report
Might be worth asking over on https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/ - there's quite a big section in there on motorhomes and skiing.
latest report
Where were you planning to stay when not on a campsite?
"Wildcamping" isn't much tolerated in Austria with many of the gondala carparks having signs restricting it.
Not many Stellplätze either, although there is a smattering of small places that will allow you to park for a fee.
"StellPlatz Radar" app as well as Camper contact as mentioned above.
There are FB groups specifically for motorhome/caravan skiing where you'll find a lot of info.
Nutshell - campsites in good ski areas usually expensive - €30-40 a night, you also pay taxes (tourist and rubbish disposal), very few include ehu which is charged at €0.70. - 0.90 per kW, in normal Winter temps you'll probs use 11kg of gas in 3 or 4 days.
Obvs many variables in there.
We've been doing this for a few years now - usually away from Jan-March ... Happy to help if you have more questions.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 21-02-20 16:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
There always motorbikes parked overnight in the car park at Flachau . Worth asking the tourist information

Motorbikes? Or is Flachau one of the ones that don't mind motorhomes staying?
ski holidays
If you are happy to stay on campsites most are pretty good.
Often have their own"wellness centre". The ski bus stops are usually very close.
Usual facilities - showers etc. Water around the site may be turned off but will be available somewhere.
All the winter ones we've been to are geared up to attract skiers - heated boot room and ski storage is normal.
Snow is cleared from site roads but you are responsible for your own pitch area.
Check out winter requirements - tyres, chains etc, also go-box if you are >3.5t.
The "Winterized" blog and FB group probably has the most comprehensive info - set aside a couple of hours and a bottle of wine snowHead
snow report
https://www.promobil.de/stellplatz/vorstellung/wohnmobil-stellplaetze-an-skipisten-berbgahnen-alpen-skifahren-wintersport/
snow report
Scamper wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Motorbikes? Or is Flachau one of the ones that don't mind motorhomes staying?

Bloomin autocorrect. Motorhomes. No idea if it's allowed or tolerated
snow report
@holidayloverxx, ah, Thanks. Might stick our heads in and check it out.
ski holidays
@Scamper you are a gem. I might pm you more questions
ski holidays
Half a post so deleted

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 21-02-20 18:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
No probs - you will be very surprised how many people do this - can't move for Dutch on most sites, and of course other nationalities too.
There are many different season passes - we had Tirol last year, SuperskiCard this - there is also the Magic Pass for Switzerland which is fab value for money if you purchase it early. Dolomiti Pass has been mentioned and filed in my memory for future use.
ski holidays
Scamper wrote:

Check out winter requirements - tyres, chains etc, also go-box if you are >3.5t.
go-box?

Scamper wrote:
The "Winterized" blog and FB group probably has the most comprehensive info - set aside a couple of hours and a bottle of wine snowHead

Winterized blog? and which FB group? Some links would be appreciated.... Wine and time I have Smile
ski holidays
BoardieK wrote:
We are on our 5th or 6th two month long motorhome trip, on the whole we've avoided Austria as there isn't the freedom to park that you find elsewhere. Campsites can come in pretty expensive there and the need to book during holiday periods removes some flexibility.

We have all our own gear which adds to the flexibility that using the motorhome offers. I guess Austria has tbe benefit of not having to drive up precarious roads only to find theres nowhere suitable to stay. This at 2000m in Arolla, after some single track including an 800m tunnel, though we have since returned and chanced our luck in a different carpark.

Ok you sound like another person I need to talk to some more, also you are a fellow Kernow Smile I'm from Snozzle

What sort of motorhome are you using? with your experience which country would you avoid the most whilst Motorhoming?

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Wylie66"]
Scamper wrote:

go-box?

https://www.asfinag.at/toll/

You can set it up all online and have them post out the Go-box, don't do it before 3 months prior to using it tho..
latest report
Scamper wrote:

Winterized blog? and which FB group? Some links would be appreciated.... Wine and time I have Smile[/quote]

https://www.winterised.com/blog-2/

https://m.facebook.com/groups/winterised/

Also "Motorhomes and Snow" on Facebook.
snow report
Scamper wrote:
Scamper wrote:

Winterized blog? and which FB group? Some links would be appreciated.... Wine and time I have Smile

https://www.winterised.com/blog-2/

https://m.facebook.com/groups/winterised/

Also "Motorhomes and Snow" on Facebook.[/quote]

Cheers, duly subscribed, found a nice Weinsberg Meteor on Ebay that seems to fit the bill
ski holidays
@Wylie66, From 'Druth.

We have a Rapido, had it for 11 years now and currently in Switzerland on the MagicPass for the second time in 3 years. As I mentioned, and @Scamper also, Austria is a bit difficult for overnighting besides using campsites.

Magicpass info for motorhomers here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3205535&highlight=magic+pass#3205535

A notable addition since 2018 is Saas Fee which has an aire with hookup and servicepoint.

Also have a look at this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3412698&highlight=magicpass+motorhome#3412698
snow conditions
Thanks for the links guys.

Austria is losing its appeal now for the reasons you guys have mentioned. We are liking the Magicpass.

@BoardieK, Do you find Switzerland expensive
snow report
We only eat and drink out occasionally but groceries can be double unless you look carefully, my wife found aussie wine for about chf5 in Lidl so she was happy. Fuel same as UK, we are over 3.5t so buy a 2 month road pass at chf58.50 per month. The proper aires (eg Grimentz, Saas Fee) are about chf 25 per day, other places you just pay the tourist tax, others completely free. The Magic Pass is probably the best value in europe if purchased early, so all in all I reckon our cheapest ski trips are the trips to Switzerland.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy