Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dryslope skis...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for advice on buying some CHEAP skis for dryslope (Dendix) use... I know this has been covered before, but it was quite a long time ago and all recommended models seem to be a bit long in the tooth now.

Anyway, I've kindly been described as an 'upper intermediate' level, about 70kg and 5' 8", and am late 40s- so not the biggest guy on the slope - though I am in reasonably good shape. I'm very improvement focused and having recently discovered the joys of the dryslope, I'm planning on some self-guided coaching with Fastman's DVDs, the odd lesson to make sure I'm staying on-track and the usual few weeks on snow. I'd do more lessons at the slope, but I'm quite far away and can't always work them around my schedule.

The rental skis at the dryslope are mostly Head "The Link Pro" model - 125/69/106 with a 10m radius in the 150cm that I use - can't see them for sale anywhere. These work well for me. My only motivation really for buying is that the centre don't do any maintenance on the skis (I think...) - so no waxing or sharpening. I'm interested in learning basic ski maintenance too. Incidentally, that 10m radius - haven't seen anyone else sell skis with that kind of tight radius - around 14m seems to be the norm in piste skis?

So I guess I'm looking for a 'on-piste ski', about 150cm, less than 80mm under-foot with <14m radius - sound about right?

So... something new from Snowinn/Sport-conrad or ex-hire gear (reasonably up to date and probably well maintained) from eBay? I'm in no way experienced in buying skis (I have boots though) and don't want to buy a lemon. For example... http://tiny.cc/fks4jz Seller describes them as "base and edges are in perfect condition" - is there much life left in these ex-rentals?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So first thing is i would suggest avoiding ex-rental gear, they will often say that that edges and bases are in perfect condition because they get run through a base grinder and electric edger on a regular basis so while the edges and bases might look to be in good condition they might not have much life left. You want a decent amount of edge left on the ski because sharp edges are important on dry ski slopes so plenty of edge remaining gives you plenty of scope for sharpening them. I would personally try and find a set by a private seller.

10M radius is very tight. There are plenty of skis you can find with a tight turn radiuses in the high performance piste ski category but probably not as tight as 10m.

waist width for dry ski slope, personally i wouldn't go as wide as 80mm. If i was getting a ski for dry slope it would be 75mm max but ideally i would get something round 70mm. As for ski length you describe yourself as upper intermediate and looking to improve in which case I think 150 is a short ski for you. I would suggest you try a set of 160's next time you go dry slope skiing and see what you think.

Ski maintenance wise there is a fair amount of info online going over the basics, or if you are after something more comprehensive ski maintenance wise i believe https://www.thepisteoffice.com offers good curses in ski tuning, depending on where you live/how far you are willing to travel and also offers a DVD with tuning videos.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The "standard" dry slope ski for most guys your weight is a 155 ladies slalom ski. I have the head I.SLR which I really enjoy on dry slope and indoor snow and I think I paid about £250 new with bindings.

My recommendation (on which I'm a bit of a stuck record!) is to join your local race club and learn to ski gates. It's fantastic for technique and usually a very cheap easy to get good coaching. Our club charges under £20 for 2 hours including slope time and coaching.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowdave, Thanks for that info... The spec for that Head looks almost identical to the 150cm Heads we have at the club. I'll keep a look out for this model. And the graphics are pretty cool too - for a ladies ski. Am I right in thinking it's what others refer to as a "cheater" ski? And then our club skis are probably even more watered down versions - cheater cheaters? Any other specific make/models you'd recommend? Are junior SL skis an option?

I've enquired about recreational racing at the club and am hoping to get involved - they do a 4 night intro course.

@wardy89 thanks for the heads up on avoiding ex-rentals - too good to be true I guess. And once I get my hands on some skis I'll definitely be picking up some maintenance kit and a DVD from the piste office.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Following on from @snowdave's, advice join a dryslope race club and start training properly. It gives some purpose to being on the dryslope and importantly once you start skiing through the gates forces you to turn at specific points giving in you excellent control of your skiing. Do not be put off by the children - they will be much better than you and progress faster.

You will need the correct skis using anything other than short slalom skis will be less than optimum and a disappointing experience. Most men ski I see on dry slopes use Atomic Race D2 SL Skis at 155 cm

Snowsport England has a list of clubs https://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/clubs-facilities/

Actually I wonder why snowsport england rarely features on this forum? It is the governing body for snowsport in England.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is there much of a difference between junior and ladies SL skis? I'm a lightweight, 5'8 & less than 11 stone/70kg...

These caught my eye...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184173635158

But at 115/65/96, quite a bit less side-cut than the other skis mentioned earlier? Seem to be narrower all the way through? Sorry, very much a newbie regarding ski specs! Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alanmac wrote:

But at 115/65/96, quite a bit less side-cut than the other skis mentioned earlier? Seem to be narrower all the way through? Sorry, very much a newbie regarding ski specs! Puzzled

On reflection, since as I understand it, sidecut is directly proportional to turning radius, if @johnE's Atomic Race D2 SL at 155cm has a turning radius of 10.5m and the junior Atomic Redster SL at 152cm has a TR of 11.5m, then they both have more or less the same side-cut? It's just that the junior ski has a narrower profile the whole way through. Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

ATOMIC RACE D2 SL 155cm = 122.5/67/104.5 TR = 10.5M
Atomic Redster FIS SL 152cm = 115.5/65/96.5 TR = 11.5m

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 19-02-20 19:34; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alanmac, be careful if you are looking at junior skis - the bindings may not fit adult boots, and may not be robust enough for an average adult. I'm similar stats to you and I'd be looking at a ladies slalom ski as recommended by @snowdave.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mgrolf, The "junior" ones of around 150cm are intended for 15yo kids, they will have adult bindings. I know several people who race on them on snow, and on the equivalent GS skis.

The general idea is to drop down a length so a 150cm SL ski could work well for a lighter male.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alanmac, Mrs snow uses 142 kids SL skis and loves them - this is on plastic and for very occasional SL gates on snow. However, she’s relatively small and light, and probably consistent on those stats with teen racers who’d use a 142.

I’m not sure my I.SLR is a cheater ski, more a cut down “intermediate” slalom ski that’s a bit softer than the full bore ladies FIS ski. My (possibly wrong) understanding is that a cheater ski is generally more of an SL/GS hybrid that turns tighter than a GS ski without being a full SL. The SLRs are pretty unstable at speed, I wouldn’t want to try and do a GS course in them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy