Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Merino baselayer other than icebreaker

Poster: A snowHead
I am considering getting a Merino wool base layer (also considering Odlo atm). I know a lot of people are happy with icebreaker, although it does tend to tear after a while. Regardless, 85 quid for a top of base layer is WAAAY too much by any standard IMO, so I was looking for sth reasonable, but also tested and reliable.

Any suggestions for 200-260 merino baselayer?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got XTM stuff from TK Maxx for £20 - but haven't seen it there recently.

Their shop is still cheaper than Icebreaker....especially the discounted stuff : http://www.xtm-shop.com/mens-c-38_30_52.html

Also, keep an eye on Sport Pursuit for Merino stuff.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mons
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Isobaa on sport pursuit is excellent quality and fairly good value - is very comfortable and a great fit but can be a little fragile. I've had a few rewoolution base and mid layers that have lasted ages but haven't seen the brand for a while (also from SP)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
XTM and Mons are similar prices to icebreaker..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bober02, the trick is to get them at half price. Wait till the end of the season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bober02 wrote:
XTM and Mons are similar prices to icebreaker..

€55 (£46) is considerably cheaper than £85 (for Grey Zip Top).....even the full price ones are £58 using today's exchange rate.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mountain Warehouse currently have their merino base layers on sale for £29 a pop. I picked up a top and legs last year for similar money, I can't compare them to any other merino kit but they were certainly a step up from the regular base layers I wore previously both in terms of temperature control and not stinking to high heaven after one day's use.
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/base-layers/mens-merino-thermals/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try Cosco, I bought 4 long sleeve @ $11 each (may be available in UK stores). . . took all 4 to Italy . . . wore only 1.
I'm deeply impressed with both the warmth and resistance to ponging
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bober02,
Quote:

icebreaker, although it does tend to tear after a while.
Really? I wear mine constantly (not just to ski) have had them for years and they go in the washing machine (40 degrees, light spin). They seem to me to be completely indestructible.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
@bober02,
Quote:

Really? I wear mine constantly (not just to ski) have had them for years and they go in the washing machine (40 degrees, light spin). They seem to me to be completely indestructible.

+1
Although mine have a tendency to shrink every year. Must be the wrong washing machine setting Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AL9000, Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Icebreaker are okay, I don’t think the price premium is worth it over all the other merino wool stuff I have so I stop buying them unless I find a very good bargain.

Helly Hansen Lifa Merino is what I use for skiing. Not 100% merino wool but very good at wicking sweat and keeping me warm.

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/mens/base-layer/base-layer-tops

Devold is very good if you can find them. Expensive at full price but here in Norway I can find them at 50-70% off in the sales.

https://www.devold.com/en-GB/shop/368/0/?g=MEN

Norrøna has some men’s merino wool baselayer at 50% off in their online outlet store (need to register to see the prices).

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/o/men/?s=1&h=2835&vm=small
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
@bober02,
Quote:

this
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BAM.

obviously its bamboo not merino, but the bamboo plants are easier to shear than a merino sheep as they move about less.

very soft warm and comfy and great wicking / non-ponging properties
snow report
Aldi have good quality stuff at a good price more durable than isobaa. I also like super natural merino.
snow report
t4tomo wrote:
BAM.

....but the bamboo plants are easier to shear than a merino sheep as they move about less.

Unless they are cross-pollinated with a Triffid. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Another Merino fan - bought icebreaker years ago and its still going strong, also have some Rewoolution and Isobaa from SP both good, but I don't wear them as baselayers - just casual T shirts.
Another one I've used and is good is smartwool - great stuff as lasts well too.

A lot of merino on the market is a blend of wool and polyester - this to give it strength, and keep costs down wink However look after the pure stuff and it does tend to last in my experience.

Bamboo is a good soft fabric but personally haven't found it as warm as merino, for the equivalent weight - tend to wear it too for casual wear in the summer, as its very cooling. Its usually as cellulose blend with cotton.

Sports Pursuit is always worth checking for merino/baselayers as they come up on there quite often.

edited to correct Embarassed

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 13-02-20 18:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Bones wrote:
A lo(t) of merino on the market is a blend of wool and polyester - this to give it strength, and keep costs down wink ..

I suspect so too. I tried a Uniqlo merino jumper recently and there was a slight whiff the first day. Out it goes!
Icebreaker is the real deal ime.
snow report
@t4tomo, interesting - I found that the BAM stuff held on to moisture (possibly the cotton content rather than the bamboo), so it's relegated to non active use now!
ski holidays
Grandma Sunshine wrote:
Aldi have good quality stuff at a good price more durable than isobaa.

I didn't spot any in the weekly offers this year, I only saw merino/polyester mix items.
snow conditions
@rjs, I managed to get a merino T-shirt for £17
ski holidays
Spoon wrote:
Icebreaker are okay, I don’t think the price premium is worth it over all the other merino wool stuff I have so I stop buying them unless I find a very good bargain.

Helly Hansen Lifa Merino is what I use for skiing. Not 100% merino wool but very good at wicking sweat and keeping me warm.

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/mens/base-layer/base-layer-tops

Devold is very good if you can find them. Expensive at full price but here in Norway I can find them at 50-70% off in the sales.

https://www.devold.com/en-GB/shop/368/0/?g=MEN

Norrøna has some men’s merino wool baselayer at 50% off in their online outlet store (need to register to see the prices).

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/o/men/?s=1&h=2835&vm=small

pretty much this.

that said, I personally can't really tell the difference between a Devold, and a "cheapo" set from Sport Outlet/sports direct/etc. If they keep you dry and warm, then it makes no difference Happy
snow report
I've got a couple of DHB ones from wiggle for ~£30 , and they're 100% merino and have lasted well
ski holidays
have had Devold stuff for 10 years and still going, got on Sports Pursuit cheap.
snow conditions
AL9000 wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@bober02,
Quote:

+1
Although mine have a tendency to shrink every year. Must be the wrong washing machine setting Puzzled

Not a problem for me. Spent 4 hours de sludging a blocked washing machine last weekend- still only works on the woollens programme
snow report
Ive had most of my Icebreaker base layers for 10 years plus and they haven’t shrunk, they DO smell though same as any other if you wear a few days......they dry quickly though so just wash through in room whilst away and they are dry for the morning, or better still take two. Best along with Norrona imo, have tried many others and they aren’t as good, keep going back to the old Icebreakers, winter skiing rest of seasons mountain biking, excellent kit - but buy in sales in summer.......just got back from a stormy wet hike in the Yorkshire Dales, super toasty and dry under my Arcteryx shell and all 12-15 years old......sad but true!
latest report
@Jonathan Bell, they don't shrink, even at 40 degrees. @AL9000, was just bemoaning his gradual weight gain. wink
4 hours spent de-sludging a washing machine sounds like no fun at all. Skullie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ive had my icebreakers for 9 years and they are still good, they never smell. i had considered replacing them this year but just no point. i will say this that i think the quality was slightly better when they were made in new Zealand compared to the china made stuff now. If you're flexible on colours and buy them in the sale then you can get them at a reasonable price. I just bought some mid-layers in the sale circa 30% off direct from their website.
ski holidays
@Jonathan Bell, What @Hurtle said.

I have one (early) Icebreaker and it's never let me down (unlike my self restraint). Highly recommend.
ski holidays
for heavens sake just find something on sportpursuit.com
latest report
Can't speak for the odlo natural tops but the synthetic ones I have are good. Performance light for mild temps and blackcomb warm for when your teeth hurt from the cold. They're fitted rather than loose so they wont suit everyone.
snow report
There is a big merino sale on Sportpursuit at the moment
snow report
i just got odlo and icebreaker, on sale Smile will compare the two and will see which one fit/feel better. Thanks for your help!
snow report
Bob wrote:
for heavens sake just find something on sportpursuit.com
I know this thread is about Merino specifically but how decent are the HH LIFA Active tops regarded? I've only ever skied in Jan/Feb with baselayer (cheap Trespass things) > tshirt > fleece > insulated coat. I always seemed to be hot!

The LIFA Active tops are dirt cheap but wondering if they're going to do the job if it is cold? Although I'm not going until 15th March (Tignes) so I'm expecting it to be warmer than I'm used to anyway. ..

EDIT: Shame Sports Pursuit charge for delivery and return delivery otherwise I'd be all over that. I'm not paying £4 then another £3.50 to return items if they don't fit.
snow report
My wife is allergic to wool and has 2 sets of HH Lifa Active. She runs cold but has never complained about them keeping her warm or dry (using the appropriate mid layer for the temperature).
snow conditions
Bones wrote:
Another Merino fan - bought icebreaker years ago and its still going strong, also have some Rewoolution and Isobaa from SP both good, but I don't wear them as baselayers - just casual T shirts.
Another one I've used and is good is smartwool - great stuff as lasts well too.

A lot of merino on the market is a blend of wool and polyester - this to give it strength, and keep costs down wink However look after the pure stuff and it does tend to last in my experience.

Yes, check the smartwool numbers for an explanation of blends. Wife thought she'd lost her smartwool gloves and wanted me to buy replacements, I started reading the small print. Luckily she found them again. (Unluckily for this thread I've since forgotten what the small print said...)
snow conditions
Spoon wrote:
My wife is allergic to wool and has 2 sets of HH Lifa Active. She runs cold but has never complained about them keeping her warm or dry (using the appropriate mid layer for the temperature).
Thanks, I've been so busy not had a time to get to a shop. But they look quite loose and 't-shirty' rather than nice and skintight/slim like other baselayers I've had?
ski holidays
Locoblade wrote:
Mountain Warehouse currently have their merino base layers on sale for £29 a pop. I picked up a top and legs last year for similar money, I can't compare them to any other merino kit but they were certainly a step up from the regular base layers I wore previously both in terms of temperature control and not stinking to high heaven after one day's use.
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/base-layers/mens-merino-thermals/

Their kids merino stuff is excellent, don't know about the adult stuff.
ski holidays
I got 2 Icebreaker Merino tops off Sport pursuit for about £85 delivered a couple of weeks ago. Looks like the sale is still on at the minute.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy