Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Did you ski with a Ski Club of Great Britain rep this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin, oh, right, so in spite of the fact you think the SCGB is old fashioned, unfriendly, exclusive and unprofessionally run ( the reverse of my thoughts) you want me to believe that the insurance alone - not too much of a bargain when you have to pay the membership fee as well - was about to entice you back?

And even if the insurance was perfect for you and at the right price, you want me to believe you will pass on said insurance because of the stereotypical membership?

I find all that a bit of a stretch, actually. Well, I'm sure some of your mates, not to mention the local anti-scgb gang, will believe you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tim Brown,
Quote:

you want me to believe that the insurance alone - not too much of a bargain when you have to pay the membership fee as well

SCGB not worth it then.
Thanks for saving me the bother of checking wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, not a problem, you bullshitter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tim Brown, FISH! Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tim Brown, yeah, i know, it was all just a game. You're such a lady's front bottom.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, Laughing Laughing Laughing How many have you caught now?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tim Brown, I think, in this case, that just might be a compliment!
But thanks for the insurance advice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro wrote:
boredsurfin, Laughing Laughing Laughing How many have you caught now?

Me keep net is almost full, mind you I think Tim is the second one to wade through all my posts Laughing I can't even bring myself to do that! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, I see all your mates (well, one) have run to help you out.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tim Brown, until next time Laughing

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 19-04-06 19:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tim Brown, and I notice that all of yours have wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, oh, today will go down in legend, as the day you got caught out and reconstructed reality to get out of it. All with the help of Ray. What a team you both make. Ray Man and Boy Boarder.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like it, we'll call ourselves the "Trollbusters" Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, except i wasn't trolling.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, I like being the boy at my age Laughing
Do I get to drive the big American car with bits sticking out all over the place? Very Happy
snow conditions
boredsurfin, No son, that is a man's job.
ski holidays
OK, chaps, I see there's been a little diversion from the subject at hand!
Someone accused me of writing nonsense (I try to be clear and objective) so here's some definite no-nonsense factual information, extracted directly from the 1993 and 2005 annual reports of the Ski Club of Great Britain:

RECRUITMENT
1992-3: 989 new members recruited by reps, in 33 resorts.
2004-5: 699 new members recruited by reps, in 44 resorts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTES:

1. The above figures indicate a 30% fall in recruitment, against a 33% increase in repped resorts (plus a further increase due to some key resorts now stationing two reps rather than one).

2. The Ski Club's website did not (of course) exist in 1992. 1568 new members were recruited from skiclub.co.uk last season, and these new members (who in general make no call on the repping service) pay the full sub rates (against those recruited in resorts, who enjoy a discount, based on an extended initial subscription) generating around £77,000. The internet is now 4 to 5 times more powerful for subscription revenues than the repping service.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
COST OF REPPING SERVICE
The cost of running the rep service last season was £184,857 ('Skiing Operations' expenditure). In 1992-3 it was £71,637.

The cost of repping has therefore increased by 160% (£113,000) during a period of falling air fares.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER OF SKIERS SKIING WITH REPS

1992-3: "approx 7000" people skied with reps (across 33 resorts)
2004-5: 5528 people skied with reps (across 44 resorts) (This comprised 4162 members + 1366 non-members)

Therefore a 33% increase in rep resorts has delivered a 21% fall in numbers using the service ... over 12 years ... during which a very substantial increase in the overall size of the UK ski market has occurred.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any comments?
What is the Club's best strategy, given the trends above?
ski holidays
The first comment that comes to mind is that the primary concerns of reps is to attend to the needs of the existing membership of the club. Its responsibilites to recruiting new members is secondary. Its aim should not be to be the biggest ski club in the UK.
latest report
The Abominable snowHead wrote:
What is the Club's best strategy, given the trends above?

Go back to basics and understand that skiing has changed. People who once couldnt afford to ski now can (those north of the M4 or the A303 or Fat northern gits as TB referred to us the other day.

Over the last twenty years the whole skiing industry has changed dramatically - the SCGB hasnt !
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead, seems to me the website is supporting reps in terms of recruitment, freeing them to attend to the needs of the members they ski with. Why are you trying to play one part of the club against another? You really don't like reps do you? What did they do to you?
latest report
Paul Mason, you're only saying it hasn't changed because Goldmith has told your that. Some of the members I've spoken to say it has. So your view is based only on second-hand rubbish from Goldsmith.
snow report
Tim Brown, go and boil your head - you are a great advert for people not joining the SCGB. I'll give you one example.

Nearly every dry slope in the country had a discount for SCGB members - my nearest slope Sunderland did not. I wrote to the ski club to enquire why not - its the only slope for miles (Lancashire and Edinburgh being the nearest) - I think they do now have discount at Sunderland.

I can and do think for myself unlike you who spoke to SOME members - so your view is based on second hand rubbish from people you spoke to !

If the SCGB is so good why dont you pi$$ off back there and have a discussion on their forum.
snow conditions
Paul Mason, so because Sunderland don't do a discount for SCGB members, that's proof the club hasn't changed? Many members of the SCGB forum say Goldsmith is wrong to say the club hasn't changed. On one side I have lots of people and on the other I have Goldsmith. Goldsmith has 'issues' we are told. What issues do you have that amount to more than preconception or the fact Sunderland don't do discount for SCGB members?
snow report
That was just one example - if the slope had been in Surrey it would have had an immediate discount.

Instead of jumping on everyone's back who has the gall to challenge something about the SCGB give us some examples of how the club has changed in the last 20 years and we'll judge for ourselves - we can think for ourselves - well most of us anyway. Come on TB give it to us straight !
snow conditions
Paul Mason, "That was just one example - if the slope had been in Surrey it would have had an immediate discount. "

Utter rubbish. I've just checked the dry slope discount page the the SCGB website and there are no dry slopes in Surrey that offer discount. Bad news if you live in Surrey and like dry slope skiing! You're in luck if you live in Gosling or Glasgow though.

I haven't been a member for twenty years so it's hard for me to say. But MANY long-standing members say it has changed. Reading the forum archive, I've seen comments along the lines of it being much more inclusive now than in 1986.
snow report
Paul Mason wrote:

Instead of jumping on everyone's back who has the gall to challenge something about the SCGB give us some examples of how the club has changed in the last 20 years and we'll judge for ourselves - we can think for ourselves - well most of us anyway. Come on TB give it to us straight !

Once again I'll ask the question !
ski holidays
Paul Mason, I've already answered.
ski holidays
Paul Mason, Ask him what he's doing on Saturday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, nothing.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, probably painting the club house.

Tim Brown, yet another example where you do not give it straight
snow conditions
Ok. Facts rather than invective.
The Club has moved from Eaton Square, There is no longer differential membership for London and non-London Members, it has a website, the Mag is better, There are increasing numbers of reps in the USA (were there any 20 yrs ago?), It has moved towards being a more modern commercial organisation. Freshtracks is part of it. etc etc etc.... The fact that Mr Abominable Goldsmith doesn't like it and wishes it were both more modern and at the same time more like the club 40 years ago is not necessarily relevant. There are plenty of reasonable members of the Ski Club and of SnowHeads out there - and some people manage to be both. And the Ski Club insurance appears according to many members to suck... big time. And we do not know, as far as other posters on the club site suggest, how many people joined via the website because of the website.

Trolling and fights aside, the Club has changed. Does Snowheads need a Ski Club section? No - it perpetuates the rancour and divisiveness of MO day, and a chippy attitude on both sides. Both the Club and SnowHeads have roles, why such spleen?
latest report
Paul Mason, What are you doing on saturday?
snow report
Paul Mason, I'm basing my views on the accumulation of written evidence I've seen from different people both here and on the SCGB website. You seem to base your views on what David Goldsmith spouts on here. [EDIT] Oh yeah, and the fact the Sunderland dry slope don't offer members a discount! Skullie

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 19-04-06 22:15; edited 2 times in total
snow report
stoatsbrother, good post
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, getting up early to take my whippet for a walk then going round to feed my dad's racing pigeons.
ski holidays
Tim Brown, again - you know alot about what I am thinking - I'm glad you are not a pisskick cause you're not very good.
ski holidays
Paul Mason, Laughing Better get up early then , or you'll miss the flight.
latest report
Paul Mason, Frosty the Snowman, You know, of course, that Tim Brown actually posts under another name and is coming to the EoSB NehNeh NehNeh Laughing
snow report
maggi, Is it Paul Mason, as they seem to have similar views
ski holidays
maggi, oh, you gave it away! Admin promised not to tell. I wonder if you'll be able to guess. I wonder if they'll bully me when they find out?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy