Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First solo snowboard trip. Excitement level 9/10 Nerves level 14/10. Need advice

Poster: A snowHead
So I’m planning a solo snowboard trip for the first time. Friends have bailed/skint. The usual excuses.

The main problem is getting over my nerves of being out there by myself and I’ve made myself sick from being nervous even now Sad before I’m even there.

I’m 31 male and I’ve only been to Val Thorens. 1 week in 2018 and 1 week in 2019. I know the basics on the board and can link my turns etc but there’s still so much for me to get down. Mainly confidence related stuff. But now I have my own board I want to get out there so I can’t wait for friends any more.

I’ve noticed the forum seems to offer honest and good advice throughout the various subjects so I thought I’d join and see if anyone can put me at ease or can give some advice on certain resorts. At the moment I’m looking at Mayrhofen. I have no budget but I’m looking to stay in Europe. Not ready for Canada yet and I’ve already been to japan last year for the egg chasers so I do have solo travelling experience. Just none on a big white hill.

So if anyone has any tips or advice or can point me to a thread where someone has asked similar then it’d be great.

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at UCPA - all inclusive, lots of solos, very easy going. Book through https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've pretty much always been solo since those first few days of lessons, though after the first couple of years I've been able to spend a lot longer than a week away so that has really helped skills and confidence. Personally I enjoy smaller, quieter, hilly resorts with chairs (and drags) to resorts where the only way up is by gondola (having said that we are driving the motorhome up to Grimentz in the morning!).

I'm very happy repeatedly lapping the same run aiming to do it a bit better each time; nothing better than a good blue or easy red that you have become familiar with to hone those techniques, it diminishes the "fear" of the unknown.

So my advice would be avoid the big name places and find somewhere mellow. The place I'm at right now has 40km of easy pistes and 9 draglfts, this is about my 5th week here over the last 3 years and I can blitz every run in most conditions. I've been to 50 odd ski areas now and this is probably my favourite. Watch the video (it's not mine, it's a fast skier). I had a morning just like it 3 weeks ago, 3rd lift before I saw anyone. How can you not feel great and improve rapidly when it's like that?

http://youtube.com/v/o1qWyv6XJzw
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@barba14, where and when are you thinking of going? i’m in a very similar situation and was thinking of a solo trip last week of march, i’m 26, male, also intermediate at boarding
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd support the UCPA suggestion - book through Action Outdoors. And choose a holiday with tuition. That way you will find people of the same standard to board with.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for the links and info regarding UCPA pam + Tom Doc

i did think about the idea of going somewhere less overwhelming @BoardieK. i think this may be a better call as like you say getting my techniques down is important and solo and quiet is a good place to do this. the plus of solo though is being able to go where i want as i dont have a budget, but i think i'll go for a 'smaller place' as mentioned, so thanks for the advice

@kylewebsteraml, yo im able to go anywhere in europe but im pretty much tied to the date of the 7th. i work on a rotation so this is on my 4 weeks off. i can only go the 7th as im getting tattooed on the 17th and i'll be heading back to work the week after so im pretty much stuck. but i am down for booking along with folk if theres some good places to hit. im based in the north east but would ideally head from NCL or MAN
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Barba14. You sound very similar to me in terms of where I was a few years ago.

I'd had a few lessons in La Thuile and went on a trip with 3 friends to Tignes the next year having not been on a board all year. They were all infinitely better than me and my confidence took such a knock that I never wanted to board with friends again. My biggest piece of advice is to just go at your own pace. I love being lazy and large swooping surfy style turns with no real desire to fly down the hill. Based on my experience this is what I suggest (as I'm now happy boarding with other people but to be honest I still love just heading out on my own and doing my own thing)

1. Choose a quieter resort. This may seem like a no brainer but if you're just looking on developing your own ability, the quieter the slopes the better. I actually ended up doing three trips to La Thuile on my own because I got to know the slopes and you rarely have to wait in queues or anything either. Gives you more time to actually board.

2. Someone has mentioned it higher up, but I really did benefit from doing the same slopes time and time again. You get a bit faster, a bit more confident and you loosen up a bit more (not too much though or you'll catch an edge and eat sh**, haha). You also know what you want to improve from your technique rather than just trying to get down i.e. shorter tighter turns this time, or a bit more switch this time

3. I can't recommend La Thuile enough for a beginner on their own to progress as I've used it to my advantage three times but I can't advise on others as that's where I learned. What I will say for Italy compared to France is, the slope ratings in Italy seem more lenient than France. A red in Italy is often the level of a Blue in France. I know you've said budget isn't an issue but you tend to find that places in France will charge you 1.5 X the room rate for single occupancy whereas Italy (and I believe Austria) tend to have more single room opportunities.

4. I would book at least one lesson per trip for the first or second day so that you can get coaching pointers. I didn't when I first started but I do now as it helps me get even better. The reason I say first OR second day is you will either want the first day to just get your legs in and used to being on a board again before a lesson, or you might want the lesson straight away to prevent bad habits. Up to you but it will definitely help your confidence.

5. I'm now much happier booking a trip with friends (and am off to Les Deux in March with 3) but I honestly love heading out on my own. I just got back from Valmorel last week and just had great fun exploring the whole resort on my own, and spending 2 of the days with others and was just as fun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@barba14, ah i take it you’re off shore or something? and i’ll try switch my holidays at work and get back to you mate but they can be Be Nice please! for not having a full 4 weeks notice! yeah i’m also from the north east and found flights out of manchester for very cheap! although it was different dates so i’ll have to revisit that
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@S@mm084 yeh i like the idea of hitting the same runs to get technique down. catching edges is what i did last year and i ate the snow pretty hard. i found out last week from reading the forum that i actually performed whats known as a 'scorpion' so that was fun to discover. glad its got a name.
i will check out La Thuile and see what i can make of that so thanks for that and the rest of your points. they've helped. and the point of having a lesson sticks out. i know what to do and how but i think i have some areas that do need a bit of coaching. i have my first board which is a bataleon evil twin so im hoping this sends me down the mountain more comfortably.

@kylewebsteraml yeh im working offshore at the moment. yeh i've said to myself i dont need to book until around the 28th of Feb maybe even catch some last minute deals so feel free to let me know your plans if you manage to change. if not no big deal Cool

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 10-02-20 14:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@barba14, ill do my best mate!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, La Thuile is a good call. Cheap, snow sure, quiet, lots of straightforward runs and mostly chairlifts. I met my pals there for a week last year and had a good time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just as a quick update. ive narrowed down my place search to 3 places. Pila , Schladming or Serre Chevalier. they all seem to have their good points and not so good points but the main thing is i can get to these places without having to do any DIY as i found some ok deals which is ideal for me for this later planning. so hopefully they will be good choices. any yay's or nay''s for any of the places mentioned? they seem to be good places but not too much in your face

i couldnt find anywhere for La Thuile but i've definitely put that and Les Mosses on the list as they do look very decent for a blast one day if i find myself going solo again.

valeu Little Angel
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never been to Schladming but for some reason I have enjoyed every Austrian resort I've been to.

I love Pila. Its small, interesting, most runs are in the tree line. Its always seams to be full of UK school kids though (Interski holidays). Not many 20-40 Brits there to ride or hook up with if that's important to ya.

Serre is the exact opposite - huge area, lots above the tree line. Its more like Val T/3valleys than Pila is. Well serviced by Crystal/Inghams etc. Its not for me but everyone else seams to love it.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@barba14, you're going to have a great time - you're on your board, what more do you need?
I must have spent four or five trips on my own while learning to snowboard and, like many others have said, it works out fine. I always found it slightly less intense when I later started going with groups and needed to keep an eye on where everyone else was headed. I find that I usually push harder and get more tired when I'm riding alone than with others. Most of the time I just enjoyed cruising the big wide pistes (mainly Val Thorens, as it happened) where there was plenty of space that I could get into a rhythym of carving my turns. Repeat a run as many times as you like, or switch to another lift if it has a shorter line, or if you just need a break.

I haven't been to either of the three places you are looking at, but I'm sure you'll find good runs in each of them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@earl, ah I never realised that Pila was a hotspot for schools. That’s a good point then so I’ll avoid that place.
I did study the piste map for Serre and it appears, like you say, to have a huge area. Which I think would work for me as I reckon there’s more chance of getting some ‘quieter’ practice time. And it there’s less mentioning of using buses to get around which I like.

@tomj, you’re right man I don’t need any more. First board and bindings so I just want to go anywhere white and see how I get on. And I don’t have any friends with me who just drink all day everyday. I don’t mind a good drink and apres but it’ll be good to be as fresh as I want and not count on others.
I must admit I’m glad to see enough people have done the solo trip and still get plenty from it. And some like yourself have done multiple. Which obviously shows it works if you fancy it enough.

Guys thanks for the info and tips. Much appreciated especially when I got myself a little anxious at the thought of going alone. It’s helped a million so thanks for taking the time to reply. Cool Very Happy
snow report
You know what! just roll with it! Man, you will love it! that stage your at is for me some of my best times just doing crazy Sh*t and enjoying myself! the good thing about Snowboarding trips is you will meet lots of boarders on the mountain and each and every one of them will be helpful and friendly you will see.
Make the most of it, put a Chocolate bar in your pocket to keep you going I always do. Razz
Angelo
latest report
Disclaimer, advertisement will follow Very Happy

Friends wife got pregnant, going harder than expected, so they bailed, don't want to risk loosing twins, so have en suite type bedroom available in Wald im Pinzgau 14-21 march. Chalet finished in 2019 november, freshly build, divided into two appartments 2 and 3 bedrooms, both have sauna. Self catered.

All snowboarders. Could give you some lessons. Will be riding Wildkogel Arena, Zillertal Arena, Kitzbuhel, maybe Zell am See. Since we all been ir Mayrhofen - won't travel that way.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SnowProfessor/videos

these videos helped me to understand what should I be doing. 7 years ago. It was night and day after watching these.@angelo23,
latest report
Pila is crap ...... La Thuile is even worse .......

barba14 ...... back in the deep mists of time I almost gave up snowboarding as I couldn't progress at the rate that kept me happy.

A solo trip to SerChe turned it all around ...... lots of messing about with settings, and ignoring convention .......

Stopped at Chantermerle, lots of vino and some good company ......

Good luck with whatever you choose .......
snow report
@BCjohnny, hey man.
Yeh serre che is cropping up a lot. It’s gonna get booked this week anyway Cool thanks for the input mate.

Appreciation to everyone who mucked in and said and suggested things. Really has helped
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy