Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido 2021 trip planning

Poster: A snowHead
These are the skis you want. Ride it in the pow. Ride it with the kids wink
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/powder-skis/dps-alchemist-lotus-124
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't reinforce enough that mobility and flexibility are key to maximising your Hokkaido experience.

My last day on Fantasy Island was on 23 February.

After a momentarily lull on the morning of the 22nd, the storm raged day & night and through to the morning of the 23rd.

All but the beginner lifts at Rusutsu, Niseko Moiwa, and Niseko United were closed due to high winds and our first resort (Kiroro) became the 'last man standing'.

Just the Yoichi and Center chairs spinning, but if you know where to go...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Tc75jlRhf/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Niseko area I found Moiwa as a perfect base - ski the small Moiwa if conditions are good. Annupri directly accessible too. Grand Hirafu - free bus or self drive - 15 min(?), Hanazono 25min drive. Rusutsu easy 25-30 min drive (24 km?). More importantly - many nice onsens in the area
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow, We were skiing in the trees at Rusutsu on that day, off the base chairlifts, then went back the next day for the rest of the mountain Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
@motyl, If you want to ski bottomless powder but only surf on top of it and feel like being on piste by all means get wide skis but if you want to be "in" the snow and grab some face shots go with your 93s Toofy Grin

Love it! Very Happy That reminds me of an Australian in Alta who said he wanted to ski in it not on it! Very Happy

When we were in Silverton 2 weeks ago I asked a (young) fellow skier if he liked his skis (106 mm, same make and model as mine - which I love). He replied that the snow wasn't as light as he'd hoped so he wished he'd brought his fat skis! I nearly collapsed (not least as we thought conditions were epic) and asked him what width they were. Just the 120 mm...

I can't help but think the world has gone mad. I'd love to see these young'uns on skinny skis in powder! wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PowderAdict wrote:
@Mike Pow, We were skiing in the trees at Rusutsu on that day, off the base chairlifts, then went back the next day for the rest of the mountain Very Happy

Good to hear.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
@motyl, If you want to ski bottomless powder but only surf on top of it and feel like being on piste by all means get wide skis but if you want to be "in" the snow and grab some face shots go with your 93s Toofy Grin

Love it! Very Happy That reminds me of an Australian in Alta who said he wanted to ski in it not on it! Very Happy

When we were in Silverton 2 weeks ago I asked a (young) fellow skier if he liked his skis (106 mm, same make and model as mine - which I love). He replied that the snow wasn't as light as he'd hoped so he wished he'd brought his fat skis! I nearly collapsed (not least as we thought conditions were epic) and asked him what width they were. Just the 120 mm...

I can't help but think the world has gone mad. I'd love to see these young'uns on skinny skis in powder! wink

I suspect your young skier was probably right, he had experienced much better conditions than your ‘epic’ conditions.

It’s all about perception and what you have previously experienced. I my view the majority of people would incorrectly call skiing in shallow new snow ‘powder skiing’. I’ve been skiing where people are whooping and hollering about the epic conditions when there was 30cm of light powder on a hard base, so you weren’t skiing in powder you where skiing on the base underneath, which isn’t powder skiing under my definition. Typically 20-30cm new snow conditions are where fatter skis really come into their own, as you get the powder skiing float/surf in much shallower snow than with ‘skinny’ skis.

As for this comment “If you want to ski bottomless powder but only surf on top of it and feel like being on piste by all means get wide skis”, it doesn’t make any sense. Bottomless powder by definition must be deep enough so you don’t hit the bottom, so for light powder at least 1m or more deep (you would sink to your waist without skis on). I’ve got skis between 100 and 148mm underfoot, and in such ‘bottomless’ conditions I’ve never felt like I’ve been on piste. I’ve been chest deep on my 148mm skis Very Happy

As mentioned is all about perception, and in my view true powder skiing is a three dimensional experience, and providing you’re not reaching the surface underneath, ski width doesn’t matter. Just my view Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 4-03-20 20:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jesus, 148mm underfoot Shocked

What size are the tips?

What's the ski?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow wrote:

What size are the tips?

What's the ski?

DPS Spoon 190cm skis, 158-148-151 full reverse camber bananas, with about a 40cm running edge, and turn with a flick of the ankles.

They have featured in the Touring for Wallys thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3540252&highlight=spoons#3540252
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PowderAdict wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

What size are the tips?

What's the ski?

DPS Spoon 190cm skis, 158-148-151 full reverse camber bananas, with about a 40cm running edge, and turn with a flick of the ankles.

They have featured in the Touring for Wallys thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3540252&highlight=spoons#3540252

Got any footage of you skiing them?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wonder if it's better to have fatter skis in less snow? In 10 cm you need a fat ski to stay on top, in 40cm, as long as you are pointing downhill it doesn't really matter?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

What size are the tips?

What's the ski?

No footage of me skiing, I rarely get filmed, and in the conditions where they excel no one wants to hang around filming.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 5-03-20 10:53; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
motdoc wrote:
I wonder if it's better to have fatter skis in less snow? In 10 cm you need a fat ski to stay on top, in 40cm, as long as you are pointing downhill it doesn't really matter?

It really depends on the snow type/density and how you ski powder. If you adapt your skiing to powder and surf it rather than attack it like you are on piste, then fatter is certainly the way to go.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

What size are the tips?

What's the ski?

Here’s some Spoon footage (from about half way through)

http://youtube.com/v/G5eKIs5HlnE
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PowderAdict wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

What size are the tips?

What's the ski?

No wonder they're easy to flick around.

About as much effective edge as a snow blade.
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:

I’ve been chest deep on my 148mm skis Very Happy

That must have been some exceptionally deep & light snow.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

It was on 21st Feb 2018 in Chute 6 at Furano, there is epic deep light snow, then there was this. My best ever powder day Very Happy

This isn't me (I took the pictures), but he was on 136mm underfoot K2 Powabunga's (158-136-153) so not significantly different. You know its deep when you have a bow wave and a vapour trail Cool

Coming up for air:

P1030526

Dive, Dive, Dive:

P1030565
snow conditions
Nice shots.

That's called Tuesday on <90mm in the waist Wink

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9EAhJDlvL-/
snow report
Thanks for everyones input on this thread. Have finalised details of our course offering for next season and have tried to keep it as flexible as possible..

We can now go back to arguing about fat vs skinny skis Wink
snow report
Those photos: whoa. Was thinking I need to get there. Motion carried!
snow report
@skimottaret, If you need an extra Coach... Wink
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

Just got your PSV licence?
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

It was on 21st Feb 2018 in Chute 6 at Furano, there is epic deep light snow, then there was this. My best ever powder day Very Happy

This isn't me (I took the pictures), but he was on 136mm underfoot K2 Powabunga's (158-136-153) so not significantly different. You know its deep when you have a bow wave and a vapour trail Cool

Coming up for air:

P1030526

Dive, Dive, Dive:

P1030565

That’s awesome! You definitely need some wider skis Very Happy
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Nice shots.

That's called Tuesday on <90mm in the waist Wink

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9EAhJDlvL-/

As is that!!! Although suspect your camera skills are somewhat superior and you would have literally needed the snorkel in @powderaddict’s conditions snowHead
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

Just got your PSV licence?

LOL, it reminds me of a quote from John Shedden when asked to define a Coach. "A vehicle for long distance travel" Wink
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

absolutely, just rustle up 5 or 6 mates willing to book now and the job is yours Smile Feckin Corona Toofy Grin
latest report
@skimottaret, Jeez, I hope we're still not messing with Corona then. I'm still hopeful for some sneaky spring touring once it settles down.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy