Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coronavirus - Les Contamines

Poster: A snowHead
Someone returning from Singapore - passed it to others in a chalet...

https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/entry/coronavirus-france-buzyn-contamines_fr_5e3e7bb3c5b6b7088700728a

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51425702
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What would you do if you turn up to your chalet holiday to find out another guest has just returned from a infected area.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were there in contamines at the same time as the Singapore visitor and subsequently caught something involving a persistent cough (presumed just a cold!) - at what point do you call 111 and say 'erm...'

Puzzled

Not that it would be much use since we've both been on the train commuting into London every day since!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on how corcerned you are about the whole thing. Some won't care, some will, someone else will probably have cancelled their trip already.
We are off to Les Contamines next weekend. Main concern at the moment is snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Media hype, just get on with it imv.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, the snow is fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess they were out of the accommodation for changeover day...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Translation from HuffPost...

The "initial case", as Agnes Buzyn put it, is a British national who was returning from Singapore, where he had stayed from January 20 to 23. Arrived in France the next day, he then infected several members of his entourage. "Their clinical condition shows no sign of seriousness," she added, adding that the eleven people who came into contact with the initial case had been hospitalized as a precaution in three hospitals in the Rhône-Alpes region.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like Singapore has got some serious corona virus issues. Given public health is taken very seriously there it seems very strange no news has come out. We lived there until recently and friends have said all is normal. Very strange.

On the resort point / am glad I am going self catering for half term!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
belette wrote:
We were there in contamines at the same time as the Singapore visitor and subsequently caught something involving a persistent cough (presumed just a cold!) - at what point do you call 111 and say 'erm...'

Puzzled

Not that it would be much use since we've both been on the train commuting into London every day since!
Chances are incredible slim but not zero. Do you know what symptoms to look out for?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a cluster of locally acquired cases in Singapore...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/coronavirus-singapore-confirms-two-more-cases-bringing-total-to-30
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A little bit of perspective, around 5000 people die every year from bog standard Influenza. I know there’s context to it all but my holiday next week goes ahead as planned. My mum just text in flap about us going to the alps. We’re going to Grand Massif not Les Contaminés which is only about 50 miles away, closer as the virus flies but it is what it is.
Mrs J just came home from nail salon worried coz she was sat next to someone who’s just come back from Far East. Shall I leave her out in the garden for the next week so she doesn’t spoil my holiday? Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jirac18, exactly, go for it ....was thinking about the people on cruises, they’ll be panicking - but they’re either going to get stomach bug, food poisoning, or maybe die of boredom.....at least skiing there’s fresh air and beautiful Alpine views!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm going to saint Gervais on Monday, so next town to les C.
Think il. Just sneeze & sniffle like mad in the queue and get a gondola to myself for the uplift
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jirac18 wrote:
A little bit of perspective, around 5000 people die every year from bog standard Influenza.

Another perspective - unlike bog standard influenza, the World Health Organisation have declared this outbreak to be a "Public Health Emergency of International Concern" so urgent actions are needed to prevent this turning into a pandemic.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Media hype, just get on with it imv.

I'm not entirely sure it is. I'm trying to do my usual business with China and I'm led to believe things are a lot worse over there than they're letting on.

Millions die in the Northern hemisphere this time of year from flu but it tends to be the old and weak but this virus seems to be taking out the young and healthy.

The next month will be very interesting
snow report
I’m currently in Singapore working for 3 days. Panic buying of supplies in supermarkets eg rice. Big queues. Temperature taken every time I return to hotel. Widespread mask use ( if you think it help maybe 30 % of people with masks from my observation point in Orchard district ) lots of alcohol gels for hands which I use a lot. I fly back tomorrow. I have no personal worries re the virus. The people infected here had spent time in the company of people from Wuhan ( told to me by an expat local ).
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
belette wrote:

Puzzled

Chances are incredible slim but not zero. Do you know what symptoms to look out for?

Well so symptoms were sore throat and ongoing dry cough (my husband hasn't been able to run for three weeks because of the cough/irritation to lungs, he's an asthmatic). No other symptoms and not had any fever though.

Looking at the dates there was only one day where we were skiing in Contamines at the same time as the Singapore guy -24th Jan. So would pretty much have had to share an uplift with them and get coughed on. Plus everyone is wearing gloves and goggles etc.

I think we'd get laughed at if we called 111 to report it honestly. Unless the French press conference tells people to report it if they have these symptoms after visiting Les contamines I think we'll presume it was a cold!
snow report
My maths suggests that 1 in 50 people who are hospitalised by the virus die ... and that the Chinese doctor who died of the virus last week did not appear to be old or unhealthy at the outset; given the long incubation period, for once I think there is cause for concern. However given our modern lives there must be an inevitability that it will arrive and we shall have to take our chances. I suspect that there is more chance of picking it up whilst in transit than on the slopes.

Though three of us shared a bubble with three Chinese last week ... and there was a slightly silent and awkward atmosphere!
snow conditions
I’m going to downgrade mask wear in Singapore. Just walked round the mall a bit and it’s not even 10% wearing. Staff in hotel must be told to wear them. Out of people I’m teaching, 0 are wearing masks. So no outward signs of panic, just what I’ve seen on a delegates phone from where he lives. Temp was also taken on entry at airport on Thursday.
snow conditions
My family and I are booked into Les Cont. from next Saturday for a week, in our own rental. I guess if no one else comes down with it between now and then it's low risk - the "infected person/people" have gone and no other cases (they left the resort on 27th Jan .. so 2 week incubation period is almost over already). I do wonder why it's taken to long for this to be confirmed though!

If some new cases crop up there next week then that's another matter. So ... anyone know who to check for travel advise to specific towns (not countries!).

Also ... trying to stay positive ... maybe the slopes will be a bit quieter, despite being Paris holidays!
latest report
belette wrote:

Puzzled

NOW ! You should be tested.
snow report
DavidYacht wrote:
My maths suggests that 1 in 50 people who are hospitalised by the virus die ... and that the Chinese doctor who died of the virus last week did not appear to be old or unhealthy at the outset; given the long incubation period, for once I think there is cause for concern. However given our modern lives there must be an inevitability that it will arrive and we shall have to take our chances. I suspect that there is more chance of picking it up whilst in transit than on the slopes.

Though three of us shared a bubble with three Chinese last week ... and there was a slightly silent and awkward atmosphere!

http://youtube.com/v/6zkL91LzCMc
ski holidays
DavidYacht wrote:

I’ve been skiing at Whistler for a week now, which, in case anyone doesn’t know, is only an hr from Vancouver where several cases has been confirmed.

Shared MANY rides in bubbles with countless Chinese. No silence, no awkwardness. Just the usual lively chat of where’s the best snow and what not. rolling eyes
latest report
BBC now updated their story saying that one of the UK nationals with the virus is actually a boy who lives with his family in the area, and goes to school in Les Cont. and St. Gervais. He was at school last week (presumably with Coronavirus, as the man who visited Singapore and appears to have passed it on to them left on the 28th Jan).

Those schools are now closed next week - although would they have been closed for French half-term anyway??
A "crisis unit" has been set up - no idea what that might be.

Les. Cont website appears to have crashed (well, timing out) under what must be a massive percentage increase in hits.

I'm guessing if there are new cases confirmed this week then that's both my trips to Les Cont. ending prematurely ... last year I fell and broke my thumb at the end of day 1. I think me and Les Cont. maybe a cursed combination rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
It appears, per BBC, that is was the same poor chap who was reported as the 3rd UK case, in Brighton, ex Singapore, now known via France. This is how the French authorities knew to trace the others sharing the 'house party' in 2 apartments. Some are French resident Brits, some are visiting.
ski holidays
Apologies, the last sentence of my post was glib and unnecessary and not intended to cause offence to anyone, and was based on a perception of Coronavirus and not of race. My perception is very much based on what I read in the media ... which could of course be untrue.
ski holidays
@DavidYacht, no need to apologise if anyone thought your comment was racist as has perhaps been inferred then my guess is they are just part of the ‘woke’ movement trying to create drama where there really isn’t any. Onward
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I picked up a nasty dry cough on Monday following a weekend in Camberley so who knows. Survived a tempersture scan at Turin airport last night so can't be that sick. Bit of mtn air seems to be improving the cough even if skiing is best described as firm to hard.
ski holidays
We are in st G and have been to Les C twice over the last ten days, been in loads of bubbles,bars and restaurants, am I worried ? not in the least, more likely to get wiped out on piste by some overweight out of control Brit who has had one too many in the bar at lunch.
snow conditions
@robs1, I got wiped out by an 8 stone french woman out of control, shattered my left shoulder and snapped my humorous clean in half.....#justsaying! rolling eyes
ski holidays
jirac18 wrote:
@robs1, I got wiped out by an 8 stone french woman out of control, shattered my left shoulder and snapped my humorous clean in half.....#justsaying! rolling eyes

Now that's not funny Sad Shock
latest report
jirac18 wrote:

Ouch,
ski holidays
People will be marking themselves as safe on favebook next
snow report
All over the french news this evening. I dont believe those schools were on holidays, they have been closed as a result if this.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
All over the french news this evening. I dont believe those schools were on holidays, they have been closed as a result if this.

Looks like the Les Cont. slopes will be quiet for the next few weeks then (looking for positives and not negatives!).

Seriously though - if anyone staying in or around the area can keep this thread updated with local news that would be great - I'm heading there next saturday (15th feb) for a week with family (2 kids) ... so if there are new cases confirmed then yeah, I guess I may have to consider whether we go. (just me to think about and I'd be going ... but with kids in tow it's a bit different).
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Well I picked up a nasty dry cough on Monday following a weekend in Camberley* so who knows. Survived a tempersture scan at Turin airport last night so can't be that sick. Bit of mtn air seems to be improving the cough even if skiing is best described as firm to hard.

*Some slightly Asian people were on the same pub terrace but they looked and probably were 2nd gen Nepalese given Gurkha population in the area.
snow report
I can't really see how any authorities can have the faintest idea how many people have, or have had this virus. We are living in a shared chalet with 8 transfer drivers, we have all been in contact with a great many passengers from all over the world in the last few weeks, including from Singapore, China, Malaysia etc. At least half of us have had the publicized symptoms of Coronavirus - nasty cough, raised temperature etc. Two have been to the docs, who just gave them antibiotics and did not do any tests. This level of illness though is pretty normal in a ski resort, so we put it down to a "normal" bug - but given Coronavirus has "normal" symptoms how can anyone know without mass testing? People come to the alps from all over the world, in close contact with others on planes, buses and in accommodation - if the virus is as infectious as we are told I cannot see that it is possible for only a small number of people to have contracted it from a known carrier.
snow report
@DavidYacht, I wasn't at all offended. I was just pulling your leg a bit with the Father Ted clip. The line "it's not the Greeks, it's the Chinese he's after"?
Anyway, no offence taken here. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Isn't it racial stereotyping as opposed to "racism" in effect based in fact from the spread in China of this virus? So, tenuous given the distance but potentially true dependant on travel specifics. As evidenced in York.

We habitually do that to the positive when we seek, for example, a restaurant of a certain country origin and want authentic food cooked by the people from that country.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy