Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brits abroad

Poster: A snowHead
at work I organise black tie dinners. Sometimes I call them a reception followed by supper, sometimes reception followed by dinner. I never call them reception followed by tea
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dinner is the main meal of the day whenever that is. If taken at lunch time, then the evening meal is tea if early, supper if late.

If dinner is in the evening, then you have lunch at lunch time. simples.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, @clarky999, that makes sense.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
at work I organise black tie dinners. Sometimes I call them a reception followed by supper, sometimes reception followed by dinner. I never call them reception followed by tea

Ah, but you is from Chelmsford.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I is not, marra
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
And what do you deduce from that? What is the difference between the two possible meals which follow the reception? Sounds a bit like my own distinction, which is that one is posher or more elaborate than the other. (Obviously you don't use tea, because that wouldn't be common usage in the City of London.)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hurtle, I don't deduce anything - both events are exactly the same but people here seem to use supper and dinner interchangeably.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

often mistaking verbosity for knowledge

How true! Worse than that, it is often mistaken for advanced intellect - usually by the speaker or writer !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Supper is 1 course.
Dinner - 2+ courses.

That’s my rule of thumb.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Supper is 1 course.
Dinner - 2+ courses.

That’s my rule of thumb.
I like that. Where the meal is eaten (kitchen or dining-room) and how the table is laid, also play a part, ie the formality of the occasion.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
Does 'supper' feature anywhere in the Midlands or further north?

In Scotland if you go into a chippy and order anything as a supper it denotes that it is served with chips.
ie a fish supper is fish and chips , a haggis supper is haggis and chips.
A friend from dahn sarf coming to my wedding whose spelling was probably not up to much thought a fish supper was a fish super and denoted a large size. He asked for a fish super and chips and got one portion of fish and two of ships much to his consternation.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@T Bar, and oop north. cowboy supper - battered sausage, battered burger and chips and gravy. geordie supper - can't remember but probably black pudding involved
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar wrote:
and two of ships much to his consternation.

Trawlers? Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
king key wrote:
or emigrate and become a national of another domain as Queenie has done.

I think Queenie is (still) an ex-pat but correct me if I'm wrong. She may term herself an "immigrant" though, as I guess and ex-pat is someone who still yearns after the motherland.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 17-02-20 14:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
martinm wrote:
T Bar wrote:
and two of ships much to his consternation.

Trawlers? Very Happy Very Happy

Embarassed Laughing Laughing
I actually spotted that as I typed and thought I had corrected it but obviously not.
latest report
@davidof, yes, ex-pat, immigrant or whatever. I haven't been in Austria long enough to consider the full naturalisation process which also requires renouncement of British citizenship. I'll give that due consideration when the time comes. It might be nice to be able to vote, but other than that I don't see any major benefit, only a considerable cost.
ski holidays
Dinner & tea if i am eating at home.
Lunch & dinner if i am eating out & being waited on.
snow report
Holidaying with Ski Esprit when the kids were little you come across a lot of "posh" English - money no object, manners nowhere to be seen. Happy to hold up entire bus of "ordinary" folks while they smooch their newly made "lifelong friends" on both cheeks, promises to "meet up" rolling eyes
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
I is not, marra

Pink Panther territory! don't you eat tea up there?
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, slightly further north, but yes we do
snow report
skimummk wrote:
Holidaying with Ski Esprit when the kids were little you come across a lot of "posh" English - money no object, manners nowhere to be seen. Happy to hold up entire bus of "ordinary" folks while they smooch their newly made "lifelong friends" on both cheeks, promises to "meet up" rolling eyes
Did you get to find out what they thought of you and why?
snow conditions
I know that those in our chalet thought we were terrible parents and cheapskates because we booked our kids in with ESF rather than the Ski Esprit lessons which were £00s dearer. Even though we had said they were booked (so no matter their opinion we were committed) they showed no empathy or recognition of our circumstance and continued to slag of ESF, tell us that the instructors would be mean to them etc. Our kids were at the table at the time, so they were worried about their lessons. With trepidation we left our little darlings with a lovely old ESF instructor in a class of 5 - my two, a couple of german kids and a Scot. The kids then went to lunch with another instructor and met up with the old one in the afternoon - the Ski Esprit lessons had about 12 kids in each class, so I am sure they got better instruction. My two learned some French, skied far further, got hooked on grenadine. As we had hoped there was nothing wrong with ESF, and they progressed a lot in the week.

The people who held up the entire bus were at a different chalet - when we arrived at Grenoble they were last to board, on the return when we stopped at their chalet-hotel at 6am they were still in the dining room, they eventually materialised at 6.15 and STILL hung about saying their goodbyes. We then had to pick up several other families who had been standing in the cold waiting for the bus. To me that's just rude, and shows a mentality that only THEIR convenience matters and somehow we were less important. Now that might not have anything to do with them being posh - they might just have been rude and inconsiderate.
snow conditions
Regarding the great tea debate, growing up in the 70s in South East London/North Kent it was school dinners at lunchtime, monitored by dinner ladies, etc, and tea was the evening meal.

That said it seems to have evolved to the more usual norm of lunch and dinner now
snow report
@skimummk,
Quote:

that might not have anything to do with them being posh - they might just have been rude and inconsiderate

quite
ski holidays
@Whitters, gosh, I'd forgotten that. School dinners and dinner ladies. Of course.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@Whitters, gosh, I'd forgotten that. School dinners and dinner ladies. Of course.

Hated the school dinners but the dinner ladies were not bad, a couple of the school cleaners were really hot, before the time the description was invented but would have been MILF's thesedays
ski holidays
Mrsthecramps calls evening meal supper, but that's Westmorland for you. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@holidayloverxx, Mara??? Carlisle? Wukin'ton? Barra? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB, trying to get the restaurant bill in any French restaurant makes me highly suspicious of French productivity figure's....
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
@holidayloverxx, Mara??? Carlisle? Wukin'ton? Barra? Madeye-Smiley
Sunlund
snow report
@skimummk, I find a loud stage whisper of this is a bus not a taxi is appropriate here. Works with the students in York who seem to think it's appropriate to stand one foot on one foot off for 5 mins as their mates emerge from dens of preloading.
snow report
@skimummk,

The ESF teach much more than skiing Laughing
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, ah, mackem
snow report
altaski8 wrote:
Here is an American perspective on English-language accents:
I like Scottish accents, love Irish accents, and think most other UK accents sound ridiculous. A neutral mid-western American accent sounds best to me.

Good job your opinion is relatively small otherwise it might have stopped the Brits from taking the best parts in so many American series and movies. NehNeh
ski holidays
Feeling peckish while working in the Western Isles of Scotland one winters day, I said to my mate, “let’s nip out for one of those high teas”. It was about 5pm, though already dark for 3 hours
wink

I was expecting a pot of tea, scone, jam, maybe fresh bread and if lucky a blob of cream.

One major fry up with chips and chops later, we wobbled off to our evening meeting in great spirits.

High tea. Bring it on. snowHead
snow conditions
@JimSearle,
Quote:

@PeakyB, trying to get the restaurant bill in any French restaurant makes me highly suspicious of French productivity figure's....

Laughing Very true. I’ve found standing up and casually strolling towards the exit door gets quick results.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Hurtle, only as a bowl of cereal, a bag of chips or cheese and crackers before bed
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Hurtle, only as a bowl of cereal, a bag of chips or cheese and crackers before bed
snow conditions
Criminal ......
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-25413482
snow conditions
Queens English -
lunch, luncheon at lunch time - midday (1:30 at the cricket)
tea at tea time (or high tea about 4pm at a cricket match)
dinner at dinner time (approx. 7)
supper at supper time. (8-9pm)

in my house we had dinner at lunchtime and tea in the evening at 6.30pm.
im not sure the queen - or cricket matches would agree!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy