Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis to replace Icelantic Nomad 105

Poster: A snowHead
My beloved Icelantic Nomads are retiring - sadly not due to any issue with the skis but because I’ve destroyed 2 sets of bindings and can’t redrill them without moving my boot position too much. Compared to previous Salomon and Rossignol skis the Icelantics have been so much better quality and the edges and bases have survived 12 years of use brilliantly. Plus I love the mad graphics!

I’ve ascertained that my style of skiing needs heavier duty bindings so I’m going with Look Pivots.

I could happily get another pair - they are beautiful skis - but I’m interested in other options - perhaps a bit more flex / softer tips would be nice (mine are from 2008 so this might already be the case with newer models), but I have gotten thinking about other options. For some reason all the skis I like the look of are handmade in the USA, or maybe I’m just a big brand avoidance snob...anyway after a freeride / freestyle ski with around a 105 waist, good stability at speed but agile - I like being able to turn fast especially in trees or in moguls.
Other options I’ve considered are:

Lib Tech UFO 105 - interested in any first hand experience of Magnetraction as it looks really interesting tech.

ON3P, Movement and 4FRNT skis

Or going overboard and full custom - Folsom skis look amazing.

Interested in views from anyone who is similarly big brand averse and especially anyone who’s skied any skis with Magnetraction edges.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ain't no expert, and it is a big brand. But a Volkl Mantra just seems to fit so closely to your stated requirements, that you should at least try some imho... I think you'll love them. (Like most everybody does)

e.g when in the market for a car like a VW golf,..... it's so hard to beat a VW Golf.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not out of the question...but compared to mass produced skis my Icelantics have been on a completely different level quality wise. I’ve found exactly the same with kitesurf boards - a quality handmade board wipes the floor compared with factory produced stuff. Standard Mantra is too narrow for my liking but there is a wider version.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also really interested to find someone who has skied a Lib Tech ski with magnetraction edges. The idea of a ski that will blast through the off piste but still have really good grip on ice is very appealing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Andrewlcarpenter, ive been a fan of exotic brands for years , but this year have been skiing the atomic bent chetler 100 , great build and graphics , and a really playful allrounder

on3p woodsman 108 getting rave reviews

https://www.kyeshapes.com , some beautiful skis coming from this guy

my son rated his lib tech board with magnetraction , but don't know much about their skis
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did think the Atomic Bent Chetler looked interesting. Like the look of those Kye Shapes skis!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ive got nomad 105s from last year and they are certainly pretty soft. nice to ski in deep conditions but pretty awful in anything hard packed or icy. the Head core 105 or stockli stormrider 105 may suit you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Replace the bindings with the same model/hole pattern? - if necessary Quiver killing them if there isn't still a viable thread.

Alternately spyderjon can advise on hole overlap but I think most skis handle 3 mounts if hole spacing is possible.

Stick the Whitedot Delinquent (Altum 104) on you consider list.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Strange - my 2008 Nomads are the stiffest skis I have owned other than a pair of GS Race skis I briefly owned before snapping the edge on a rock on about the 2nd day I skied them. They aren't the best on super icy stuff but hard packed and tanking it at speed / hard carving turns seem to suit them very well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have broken the bindings twice and am not happy replacing them again. The newer Salomon STH 12 seems to be a much more sensible design with stronger rear screw attachments on the back binding but I'm not sure if the screw placement is the same. I have looked at other bindings using a template in a shop, but it means moving my boots a fair distance forwards or backwards, which I'm not happy to do.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blister has just done a good in depth review of the Altum 104s, maybe of interest?

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2020-2021-whitedot-altum-104
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Replaced my Nomads with Shamans years ago and never looked back. Just found a brand new pair at a knock down price Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’d be surprised if the Shamans performed much away from deep snow? I’d be interested in Pioneers if staying Icelantic although I don’t approve of the sensible graphics....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still can’t believe there’s nobody on here that have experience of magnetraction edges on skis (ie Lib Tech as nobody else is doing them...)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BertieG wrote:
Replaced my Nomads with Shamans years ago and never looked back. Just found a brand new pair at a knock down price Very Happy

Where - could be interested at the right price as I found my Shamans the most versatile ski ever.

Re LibTech not sure thay have distribution in the UK for NAS. Even in the US they are a distinctly niche sight i.e. far less common than Icelantic , ON3P , Liberty etc etc
snow report
I think they’re more known for their snowboards.
snow report
I’ve got some Down Throwdown 105’s this year, mounted with pivot 14’s. I’ve ridden the TD 89 for a couple of years and needed a larger width for outside of the park. Superb skis with stunning graphics! Only come in 182 length and only a limited run of about 50 pairs each year if I remember correctly. Cheaper than most skis as well as they sell direct.
www.downskis.com
latest report
@Andrewlcarpenter, For me the Shamans are better in every way, neither ski is much good on hard icy snow. The Shaman is not just a powder ski it is brilliant fun on any type of soft snow including corduroy and slush.
@Dave of the Marmottes, sadly i think I got the last pair https://www.sportex.sk/en/icelantic-shaman-skis-2015.html
snow report
I agree performance on icy snow isn't great. I usually use this as an excuse to go straight down those bits and start turning again later on...! Down skis look nice and I did have the Throwdown on a shortlist although its out of stock right now so would presumably need to wait until next year...this is partly why I was interested in the Lib Tech ski as if I can get the float from a 105 waist, probably better powder performance because of longer softer tips than the Nomad, and reasonably decent performance on poor / icy conditions it seems like the perfect ski for me!
As things stand unless I'm persuaded otherwise I'm still going for the Lib Tech! Only reviews I have found were very favourable...
Great deal on the Shamans though! Weirdly the Shaman (Limited Edition) is one of the few skis not sold out on the Icelantic website, and they appear to have discontinued it, so it's not obviously one of their more popular skis.
snow conditions
@BertieG, Too short for me anyway.

The Shaman was incredibly popular for a niche ski but you have to remember it's a 12 year old design at least so not surprising it has been discontinued. They at least added rocker to the Nomad to refresh it.
ski holidays
Given that the Nomad has been far and away the best ski I’ve owned, there is a definite argument for getting another pair - now you point it out the tip and tail rocker has changed quite a bit from mine so it could be a fair bit different.
ski holidays
j skis the metal fits what you're after. id try the new nomads before buying. they are a park/ jibbing powder ski.
snow report
I have the J skis on my list but I'm not all that keen on heavy skis. I agree the shape of the Nomad has changed a lot, but that is pretty much the shape of all of the freeride / freestyle oriented all mountain skis these days including J skis The Metal. The J skis have an even longer tip - 45cm long ffs!
ski holidays
If u are still after nomads I’m going to be selling mine as I’ve replaced them. Bought them last year done maybe 3 weeks on them. They’re the blue ones with the ship that goes across both skis. Cool looking skis, 181cm. Open to offers
snow report
Andrewlcarpenter wrote:
My beloved Icelantic Nomads are retiring - sadly not due to any issue with the skis but because I’ve destroyed 2 sets of bindings and can’t redrill them without moving my boot position too much. Compared to previous Salomon and Rossignol skis the Icelantics have been so much better quality and the edges and bases have survived 12 years of use brilliantly. Plus I love the mad graphics!

I’ve ascertained that my style of skiing needs heavier duty bindings so I’m going with Look Pivots.

I could happily get another pair - they are beautiful skis - but I’m interested in other options - perhaps a bit more flex / softer tips would be nice (mine are from 2008 so this might already be the case with newer models), but I have gotten thinking about other options. For some reason all the skis I like the look of are handmade in the USA, or maybe I’m just a big brand avoidance snob...anyway after a freeride / freestyle ski with around a 105 waist, good stability at speed but agile - I like being able to turn fast especially in trees or in moguls.
Other options I’ve considered are:

Lib Tech UFO 105 - interested in any first hand experience of Magnetraction as it looks really interesting tech.

ON3P, Movement and 4FRNT skis

Or going overboard and full custom - Folsom skis look amazing.

Interested in views from anyone who is similarly big brand averse and especially anyone who’s skied any skis with Magnetraction edges.

Thanks!

I have libtech backwards. The magne traction makes a difference for sure. I have never sharpened my edges and for a 95 width ski, they ski much smaller here on the east coast. My main gripe is lib tech's epoxy is notably shotty. That being said some extra expoy has gotten my '15/'16 models this far with pivot 12s. I recently purchased a pair of nomad lites for the rocker profile and the backwards are very very flat for any type of snow higher than your ankle. I am nervous about the ease of finding an edge VS my libtechs.
snow report
Im also 5'9" 135 lbs, hence why i got the lites.
snow report
If you don't mind a heavier ski than the 100 Bents perhaps try the Nordica Enforcer Free in 104mm. They carve amazingly well on hard pistes, have a 17m radius, loads of rocker (more than the normal Enforcer) for powder and blast through crud with ease. They have become my fallback ski for most conditions involving off piste and are fine for touring up to a few hours, my fat skis haven't been used as much this year.
snow conditions
I second the enforcer I rode them in park city, they're better for someone who likes a stiffer, "let the ski plow through" type of ride, i compare them to the wingman, vs a ripstick to go with simple terms. more touring than freeriding focused in my opinion, I personally thought they were a little boring for me, but many people especially people who are looking for less impact, maybe are older love the enforcers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy